Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider Review

Hello Jeno,

I have been going thru your in-depth review of your Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider 2005 model
It’s really great to read about your fascination for the car, how much satisfied you have been and how much knowledge you have gained

I myself own a Rider 1.9 TDi 2007 model – Classic Black colour
Following are its detailed specs:

• Done 110,000 km in 6 years
• I had a major setback with the car in 2010 after doing 55k and 3 years, when the Turbo failed and I had to get it replaced at a cost of whopping Rs.1 lacs at a Skoda Delhi dealership
• At the same time the dealership also suggested me to get the timing belt changed. But now I feel at 55k it was a bit too early. After reading thru your thread I realize I could have done it at 75K. At that time it had cost me Rs.25k
• I had all 4 tyres changed to the new Yokahama at 65K. I am quite satisfied with them as of now
• Front Disc brakes have been changed twice

I have got my car serviced this week and the same dealership is now suggesting the following overhauls:

• Timing belt replacement (2nd time) since it has run for another 55K / 3 years.

My view: I’m a bit doubtful this time and I have told them to postpone for another 10k.

My question: What do you think should be the life of a timing belt? Can I stretch it to 75 – 80k Kms.?

• Clutch overhaul with replacement of all related parts. Cost estimate is Rs.55k. As per there test drive, the overall pick-up of the car is slower and it is affecting mileage also

My view: Personally I do not see any much difference in overall ride quality and pick-up. I mostly drive in Delhi city where average speeds is not more than 30 – 50 km/hr.

My question: Should I wait for the clutch to completely fail and then get the recommended works done or should I go ahead with it now?

• Suspension overhaul with replacement of all related parts. Cost estimate is Rs.55k. As per them, it will affect the tyres wear / tear and overall ride quality

My view: I do not drive rashly or on very bad roads. Also I do not feel any bumps or noises coming from the suspension / axle / tyres?

My question: Is it necessary to get it done at this point of time?

Of all above, I’m most concerned about the timing belt replacement

Do let me know your views

Thanks for your time,

Aditya Gupta
New Delhi

Thread Starter #167
Hello Jeno,

I have been going thru your in-depth review of your Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider 2005 model
It’s really great to read about your fascination for the car, how much satisfied you have been and how much knowledge you have gained

I myself own a Rider 1.9 TDi 2007 model – Classic Black colour
Following are its detailed specs:

• Done 110,000 km in 6 years
• I had a major setback with the car in 2010 after doing 55k and 3 years, when the Turbo failed and I had to get it replaced at a cost of whopping Rs.1 lacs at a Skoda Delhi dealership
• At the same time the dealership also suggested me to get the timing belt changed. But now I feel at 55k it was a bit too early. After reading thru your thread I realize I could have done it at 75K. At that time it had cost me Rs.25k
• I had all 4 tyres changed to the new Yokahama at 65K. I am quite satisfied with them as of now
• Front Disc brakes have been changed twice

I have got my car serviced this week and the same dealership is now suggesting the following overhauls:

• Timing belt replacement (2nd time) since it has run for another 55K / 3 years.

My view: I’m a bit doubtful this time and I have told them to postpone for another 10k.

My question: What do you think should be the life of a timing belt? Can I stretch it to 75 – 80k Kms.?

• Clutch overhaul with replacement of all related parts. Cost estimate is Rs.55k. As per there test drive, the overall pick-up of the car is slower and it is affecting mileage also

My view: Personally I do not see any much difference in overall ride quality and pick-up. I mostly drive in Delhi city where average speeds is not more than 30 – 50 km/hr.

My question: Should I wait for the clutch to completely fail and then get the recommended works done or should I go ahead with it now?

• Suspension overhaul with replacement of all related parts. Cost estimate is Rs.55k. As per them, it will affect the tyres wear / tear and overall ride quality

My view: I do not drive rashly or on very bad roads. Also I do not feel any bumps or noises coming from the suspension / axle / tyres?

My question: Is it necessary to get it done at this point of time?

Of all above, I’m most concerned about the timing belt replacement

Do let me know your views

Thanks for your time,

Aditya Gupta
New Delhi

Hello Aditya,
First, sorry for the late reply, i have been held up with my work for quite few days, wait.. no months [frustration] . You are very right about the fact that i am satisfied with my car, i still am. And i have gained loads of knowledge too as you said.

First, Turbo failure at 55k is unacceptable. It should be due to improper maintenance from the mechanic or a production defect or some leakage into the turbo. As per experts, "Idling" the car for 30 seconds before starting and stopping will help the Turbo stay more healthy.

The actual life of a timing belt is anywhere around 65-75k. Please ask your mechanic if it requires a change, because good mechanics , they tell the amount of kms left in it just by looking at it. And the OE timing belt kit with 5 tensioners should cost around 10k. But i should also warn you that, driving with a timing belt which is not in good shape might ruin the whole Engine.

About the clutch, you can change the clutch only when it starts to slip. Or whenever feel that the engine power is not completely transferred to wheels. And here , my mechanic says, clutch with Flywheel (DMF) will cost around 22k. But if you are going to use the car for another 60k+ kms, better go for a SMF clutch, we are getting it here for octavia in Chennai. So that , the next time you change your clutch, you dont need to change the flywheel. That will bring down the costs to 7.5k for a clutch replacement after that.

And for shocks, if you planning to keep the car for a long time, go for the Bilstein B6 as i did. Because, its life is almost unlimited. But it comes at a costs. It will cost around 40k, or else go for OE shock, get it outside for a lesser price (its a Bilstein B4). Changing the shocks on time will save the Springs, and give it more life.

Discs should be replaced in every 60k kms. Or lathed discs can withstand 30k. I use lathed discs as it costs only 1.5 k opposed to new ones which are 6k. But the lathed one, does the job for me. But, in brake pads, i use softer ones, which lasts only for 25k kms. But they give a nicer bite than the OE brakes.

And while nearing 1 L kms, there are other things which might fail , like the AC compressor which has a life of 70 k kms. It will cost around 15 k. And change of bushes and struts might be required. But as you said, you didn't drive much on bad roads, it should be okay.

Drive Safe
Jeno

Thread Starter #169
Good choice mate :) like your car!!

You need to take some time out of your daily routine to wash her and do a nice photoshoot of it

double din had a great deal in jbhifi aussie
this model you can get for 155 bucks! ( ~8000 Rs)
I forgot to mention that, my car is fitted with this exact JVC set but includes Bluetooth. Thank you for your suggestion.

Jeno

Hi,
A newbie to this forum. I live in Bangalore and drive a Skoda Octy Rider 1.9 TDi since 2004. As seen from various posts the maintenance cost pinches anyone but the driving pleasure of a Skoda is incomparable. Yes, one goes through clutch assembly kit replacement, timing belt kit replacement etc.(in fact my rear drive shaft failed once and that was expensive to replace).
Now I have clocked almost a lakh km and my car is due for service. I do not want to take it to the Skoda Auth. service center for obvious reasons. Can any Skoda owner here in the forum let me know good private workshops in Bangalore where I can take my car to.
I also plan to change my tyres. Can I go for 205/65R-15 instead of the 195/65R-15 and if so what may be the challenges that I can face like a hard steering etc. ? Also suggest me between Goodyear and Bridgestone tyres please ?

Hi Kirk, Just check with this guy Ganesh +91-9448911455, a independent skoda mechanic. I have spoken to him once about a problem in my car.

Thread Starter #172
Hi,
A newbie to this forum. I live in Bangalore and drive a Skoda Octy Rider 1.9 TDi since 2004. As seen from various posts the maintenance cost pinches anyone but the driving pleasure of a Skoda is incomparable. Yes, one goes through clutch assembly kit replacement, timing belt kit replacement etc.(in fact my rear drive shaft failed once and that was expensive to replace).
Now I have clocked almost a lakh km and my car is due for service. I do not want to take it to the Skoda Auth. service center for obvious reasons. Can any Skoda owner here in the forum let me know good private workshops in Bangalore where I can take my car to.
I also plan to change my tyres. Can I go for 205/65R-15 instead of the 195/65R-15 and if so what may be the challenges that I can face like a hard steering etc. ? Also suggest me between Goodyear and Bridgestone tyres please ?
I dont know anyone in Bangalore , but Vinod has already given a contact. For the tyres, go for Bridgestone Asymmetrical (dry/wet). And yes, you can go for 205/65 r-15 for increased ride height . I dont think there will be any difference in the steering.

Jeno

Hi Kirk, Just check with this guy Ganesh +91-9448911455, a independent skoda mechanic. I have spoken to him once about a problem in my car.
Thanks mate for the suggestion. Will talk to the guy.
Regards

I dont know anyone in Bangalore , but Vinod has already given a contact. For the tyres, go for Bridgestone Asymmetrical (dry/wet). And yes, you can go for 205/65 r-15 for increased ride height . I dont think there will be any difference in the steering.

Jeno
Thanks Jeno! Suggestion for tyre is appropriate.
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Speedo & Odo meter reading will have difference. BS is better compared to both.

hi i was looking for skoda octavia and found one in ahmedabad in my budget.
its 2008 model quating 4 lac with 62k odo.
i have personaly checked it to the mecahnic i know and he said its well maintained and well and good..
should i buy it?
and what should i do for first service after delivery?
cost and part replacement for first service..
should i go for A.SS or other garage....

hi i was looking for skoda octavia and found one in ahmedabad in my budget.
its 2008 model quating 4 lac with 62k odo.
i have personaly checked it to the mecahnic i know and he said its well maintained and well and good..
should i buy it?
and what should i do for first service after delivery?
cost and part replacement for first service..
should i go for A.SS or other garage....
Hi.Saurabh Bhai Kem CHo? welcome to TAI[clap].

1.GO For Skoda A.S.S Check your car there
2.if the Octavia belong to to Ahemdabad he/she service in showroom.
3. Yes You can Buy .but As we are "Gujarati bhaav taal kro To Saru rese" (Negotiate)

Service Check
Check tyre ,
Breaks pad
Clutch ,
oil leaks if any You Have
AC Cooling ,
Timing belt
Engine Oil
Air Filter
Diesel Filter
Oil Filter
Gear Oil
Coolant

Check This Link http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/4173-skoda-octavia-1-9-tdi-rider-review.html

Last edited:
hi i am new here n this is my first post so please bear with me [:)]

myself sripin and am 21

i was in love with octavia from a very young age and now i am planning 2 buy 1 in 5 or 6 months i have started to read through the forms to get enough knowledge about it

i am looking out for a black l&K when i said this to my father he didn't like it and told me it very expensive to maintain same reactions from my friends too but for some reason i am not liking any other car and i wanna own it so i have decided and my mum and sis liked the car "i told them it was safer car " and they fell for it

now coming to the topic

these are the things i wanna know please help

1 i have heard that it would cost 8k approx for general service and am fine with it , what i want to know are costs of things like clutch ,timing belt , etc things that are changed under periodic maintenance and their lifespan (plz name the parts and cost that you guys have changed during your ownership it would really help )

2 i use full synthetic on my pulsar 220 so planning 2 use syntetic oil for octy any specific brand and its cost would help

3 any common problems with octy that i have to look out for when buying one?

4 in bangalore most of the octy that are on sale have 100000 on oddo is it bad (most of my friends tell i am mad to buy a car this old ) is it a concern

5 i would like 2 upgrade alloys to 17 inch heard 18 inches are bad for our roads condition which tyre do you guys prefer and its cost

6 any comments on petes box i have heard it ups performance to 110 bhp from stock 90 n i hav heard l&k is 110 by stock compared to rider i read it some where but never found any proof for it plz enlighten me

7 i have heard lnk has abs,sunroof,automatic climate control does it have electric folding mirrors??

8 any one knows where to get these sunshades and spoiler lip in bangalore ill attach the photos below

9 and finally good automobile shops to get spares because I have heard skoda people loot us [frustration]

10 last pic ll show how i want my car to look in end[drive] wish me luck

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jeno,

Refer to my query dated 29th April and your reply to it dated 31st May '13

It's been 1.5 years since we last connected.
How's your car running, if you are still driving this Skoda octavia?

I'm still driving this car and following is the current status:

- Done 140,000 kms in almost 8 years.
- Got the timing belt replaced at 120,000 kms.
- I got the clutch overhauled last year at 1.25 lac kms.
- I also got the suspension bushes and allied works done at the same time
- Got a new set of 4 tyres at 130,000 kms.
- Got a new battery at 135,000 kms.

I wanted your advice on an issue which has been nagging me for the last 3 years now.
This issue is related to high engine oil consumption by my car.

This problem started after around 8 months of getting the turbo changed at Skoda dealership in April 2010 after only 55000 kms.
That was the first time the engine oil light was up and same dealership topped it up without much fuss.

After regular service, the car runs fine for 8 - 9,000 kms and then the engine oil light turns up and I need to put in 1 litre of engine oil to keep it running.

This problem is coming frequently now and after almost 2500 - 3000 kms, the engine oil reduces and I need to top it up with 1 litre engine oil.

I have got it checked at the Skoda workshop 1 - 2 times earlier, they had checked it thoroughly for any visible leaks which were none and assured no engine problem.

Now that the problem has aggravated, I fear that the engine piston rings or valves might be the problem. Which means that I need to get the engine opened and these things replaced.

I want to avoid doing that completely as I don't want to touch the engine, I would rather sell the car as it is. Plus it will cost a lot which is not worth it.

My question to you is whether this high engine oil consumption is due to engine piston rings / valves or is it something else?
Like related to the turbo charger which the company had changed in April 2010, because the problem started a few months after that.

Also I do not see any smoke / fumes coming out of the exhaust pipe, despite such high engine oil consumption.

My query is a bit technical, but please see if you can throw some light on this issue.

I shall await your reply,

Thanks for your time

Aditya Gupta
New Delhi

Hi Bros,

Am a beginner in this segment. Bought a 2005 Skoda Octavia done 88K KM for 3L

Having Problems with the Head Light ! Only High Beam is working No Low Beam[confused] - 7.5 K

Right Side Rear door glass assembly Not working. 4.5 K

04 Alloy Wheels All the Tyres changed since the alignment was not right and inner edge was scraped. 35 K

Seat Hight Adjuster broken - 2 K

General Service is Pending as per the Service Cr it will cost 15 including the Oil change

Did I did a mistake [confused]:please

Top Bottom