Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider Review

First sorry for the unacceptably late reply [frustration]

I dont know much about Chevrolet Optra , Except for the fact that its a Powerful and Comfortable car. But heard from ppl that mileage is about 11-13 city, and 16-18 in highways.

About Octavia, I calculate tank-to-tank every time i fill diesel. In heavy bumper to bumper traffic, dont expect more than 12 kmpl. But in normal moving city traffic, i get about 14-16 kmpl. In highways, totally depends on your right foot [glasses] . At constant 80 kmph , 22+ is guaranteed. I generally do, 140-160 and get a FE of 16 kmpl. Other than this, the engine should be in good shape and Synthetic oil should be used.

Drive Safe
Jeno.
Thank You so much for the reply. I just noticed it right now.I don't know how i missed the notification. Man i am is so much trouble from last year ever since i sold my optra. I am stuck with Safari from almost 8 months.

Now i am in another dilemma. I have also started a thread about it and i am so ameature at using this site that i don't even know how to view it. Which one do you think is better buy :

1-Skoda Superb 2.5 TDi V6 ,2005 done about 40k-45k KMS with service record and in scratchless condition .(Black Color)

2-Hyundai Sonata Embera 2005 or 2006 done about 80k KMs without service record and some denting painting has been done.(Black Color)

I think the Superb is a better option but there are many questions i have like can it be serviced from independent garages , is it extremely expensive to maintain?Does the electronics on Superb fail cause they will be very expensive to change. Please throw some light on this. I have about 7 days to make a choice. This seems like a golden chance to me. Please help.[confused]

Thread Starter #153
Thank You so much for the reply. I just noticed it right now.I don't know how i missed the notification. Man i am is so much trouble from last year ever since i sold my optra. I am stuck with Safari from almost 8 months.

Now i am in another dilemma. I have also started a thread about it and i am so ameature at using this site that i don't even know how to view it. Which one do you think is better buy :

1-Skoda Superb 2.5 TDi V6 ,2005 done about 40k-45k KMS with service record and in scratchless condition .(Black Color)

2-Hyundai Sonata Embera 2005 or 2006 done about 80k KMs without service record and some denting painting has been done.(Black Color)

I think the Superb is a better option but there are many questions i have like can it be serviced from independent garages , is it extremely expensive to maintain?Does the electronics on Superb fail cause they will be very expensive to change. Please throw some light on this. I have about 7 days to make a choice. This seems like a golden chance to me. Please help.[confused]
I had never driven both the cars. So cant really comment on that, but the V6(in Audi a6/Superb) sounds powerful, accleration and top speed figures are mind blowing. And Superb will not disappoint you in features too. But i asked my friends (who work in skoda service). They said, Superb V6 tdi is a Good engine overall, but they also added that fuel pump/water pump failure can be expected anytime. And servicing with individual mechanic wont be a problem as long as they know what they are doing.

My story, (only general service , part change not included)
1st service (indep mech)- 18k
2nd service(performance automotive,ind garage)- 12k
3rd service(indep mech, fmy frnd)- 8k

So,if you the right person, things will be a lot lot easier with a Skoda [clap] .

What is the price quoted for the V6? if u don't mind telling us.

Drive Safe,
Jeno

Last edited:
I had never driven both the cars. So cant really comment on that, but the V6(in Audi a6/Superb) sounds powerful, accleration and top speed figures are mind blowing. And Superb will not disappoint you in features too. But i asked my friends (who work in skoda service). They said, Superb V6 tdi is a Good engine overall, but they also added that fuel pump/water pump failure can be expected anytime. And servicing with individual mechanic wont be a problem as long as they know what they are doing.

My story, (only general service , part change not included)
1st service (indep mech)- 18k
2nd service(performance automotive,ind garage)- 12k
3rd service(indep mech, fmy frnd)- 8k

So,if you the right person, things will be a lot lot easier with a Skoda [clap] .

What is the price quoted for the V6? if u don't mind telling us.

Drive Safe,
Jeno
Are Fuel Pump and Water Pump expensive to change?[confused] sorry i have no knowledge regarding maintenance of cars... and deal for both cars will break around 5.75 lakhs[:D]

Thread Starter #155
Are Fuel Pump and Water Pump expensive to change?[confused] sorry i have no knowledge regarding maintenance of cars... and deal for both cars will break around 5.75 lakhs
Even im no expert in this. But what i hear is, keeping the fuel tank more than half full always can save your fuel pump (always less than reserve is bad). And regular maintenance/check might also help . [:)]

A small opinion , why not take a Octavia l&k instead ? It has most of the features. And its very reliable and more fuel efficient compared to both the other cars you have mentioned. If you want better performance, Remap [glasses] + Bilstein B6. Will make things even better than the Superb.

L&K for 4.5 L + 45k for B6 + remap/petes for 38k + more reliability.

if rear space is something you need, forget about my opinion. :D

Drive Safe
Jeno

Last edited:
Even im no expert in this. But what i hear is, keeping the fuel tank more than half full always can save your fuel pump (always less than reserve is bad). And regular maintenance/check might also help . [:)]

A small opinion , why not take a Octavia l&k instead ? It has most of the features. And its very reliable and more fuel efficient compared to both the other cars you have mentioned. If you want better performance, Remap [glasses] + Bilstein B6. Will make things even better than the Superb.

L&K for 4.5 L + 45k for B6 + remap/petes for 38k + more reliability.

if rear space is something you need, forget about my opinion. :D

Drive Safe
Jeno
The main reason i want one of those two cars is because they both are rare.

Yesterday i had the money arranged but by the time i got there both cars were sold.[frustration]

I had my mind up for Superb.It broke my heart.I don't think i will ever find another Superb that is this clean.

I want to thank you all for helping me. Your advise really helped me out in selecting the better car but it was not in my fate.

i am still searching for a good car and will ask some more questions if i had any.i went to see a Golden Magnum today. It was 2008 LT and the condition was kinda average and had clocked 77000. I won't buy this car because of Golden color. If i will ever buy a Golden car it will be if it was in excellent condition and more over he was asking for Rs 5,50,000 which i think is over priced.

Thread Starter #158
Yesterday i had the money arranged but by the time i got there both cars were sold.[frustration]

I had my mind up for Superb.It broke my heart.I don't think i will ever find another Superb that is this clean.

I want to thank you all for helping me. Your advise really helped me out in selecting the better car but it was not in my fate.

i am still searching for a good car and will ask some more questions if i had any.i went to see a Golden Magnum today. It was 2008 LT and the condition was kinda average and had clocked 77000. I won't buy this car because of Golden color. If i will ever buy a Golden car it will be if it was in excellent condition and more over he was asking for Rs 5,50,000 which i think is over priced.
Being a Addicted to cars is what pulled us into this community, so it would always be a pleasure to help you out.

And if you are okay with taking a car from TN, i can ask my friend of mine who works on Skoda to see if there is a clean car for sale. And even if you see a Car (and if its a Skoda). Leave me a pm with the Car registration number (anywhere in India), i can ask him and give you the Over all Service history of the car. [;)]

Jeno.

Being a Addicted to cars is what pulled us into this community, so it would always be a pleasure to help you out.

And if you are okay with taking a car from TN, i can ask my friend of mine who works on Skoda to see if there is a clean car for sale. And even if you see a Car (and if its a Skoda). Leave me a pm with the Car registration number (anywhere in India), i can ask him and give you the Over all Service history of the car. [;)]

Jeno.
It won't be possible for me to take the car from TN.And thank you so much for offering me help with Skoda.[:D]

Hello Jeno i bought a White Skoda Laura L&K Manual Transmission today. Its 2007 with 725XX on ODO and is orignal bumper to bumper.I will post the pics soon. I want to thank you again for all the help you've given me.

Thread Starter #162
Hello Jeno i bought a White Skoda Laura L&K Manual Transmission today. Its 2007 with 725XX on ODO and is orignal bumper to bumper.I will post the pics soon. I want to thank you again for all the help you've given me.
You are welcome. And cant wait to see the initial review of your Laura L&K.

Hahahahaha, only Param and jeno in this thread[lol]

@Jeno what is the latest update on your Octavia
Latest update is i put back Petes tuning box [lol] .

So,

110 hp
240 Nm of torque
Bilstein B6 shocks
16 inch wheels with 225 55 16 Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Car is like a dream to drive, specially on the highways, very planted and smooth. With the petes, reaching 160 is easier and i have clocked a maximum speed of 200 kmph on the speedo. Steering is tighter, which i really like. And she has done 90k kms. Till now no issues other than normal services , except rear power window switch problem last year.

And i am getting 145-155 kms for every 500 Rupees of diesel in Chennai. (Checked today, tank to tank method). which is around 15 kmpl. And i am very happy with the numbers.

Jeno.

@Jeno

That was a wonderful report about your Octavia buddy which is my all time favourate in Sedan's.

Yes, some day I will take a ride with your Octavia in Chennai for sure [:)]

Top Bottom