Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider Review

Hi All,

I have 2008 Skoda Octavia, travelled around 75K. I have been using mineral Oil till now, and plan to chnage to Synthetic.

What do you guys suggest to use?

1) Shell Helix Ultra
2) Castrol EDGE
3) Mobile

Thread Starter #139
Hi All,

I have 2008 Skoda Octavia, travelled around 75K. I have been using mineral Oil till now, and plan to chnage to Synthetic.

1) Shell Helix Ultra
2) Castrol EDGE
3) Mobile
I think shell will serve you the best.

good to see a nice skoda review.
your car looks good in black.
please share some more photos of your car[cry].
Thanks rajvel.

And i got myself a Formula 1 car wash solution. Washed the car using it last week. And its good to see that the shine is still there. And cleaning the car is lot easier.

Product: Formula One Car Wash
Price: 500 INR

Pros:

• Works well and changes are evident.
  • More than just car shampoo.
  • Hope it would stay for more than a week. (it has been a week, and it still shines well)
  • Might avoid the need for wax coating considerably.

Cons:

• Pretty Costly.
  • No clear instructions on how to use(as we are petrol heads, we would want things to be perfect [lol]).
  • Wont last for more than 5 washes.

img1.jpg

BILSTEIN B6 reaches home.

And the bilstein B6 which i ordered earlier has reached home, cant wait to get it fixed and test it. And i am planning to change the struts(bushes) along with the shocks. Need more inputs on it, what are the components which are recommended to be changed along with the shocks?

couple of snaps of the German shocks.

img2.jpg

img3.jpg

Jeno.

Re: Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider Review
Hi All,

1) Shell Helix Ultra
2) Castrol EDGE
3) Mobile

I am using Shell Helix most of the time for my Octavia.

BILSTEIN B6 reaches home.

And the bilstein B6 which i ordered earlier has reached home, cant wait to get it fixed and test it. And i am planning to change the struts(bushes) along with the shocks. Need more inputs on it, what are the components which are recommended to be changed along with the shocks?

couple of snaps of the German shocks.

Attachment 61923

Attachment 61924
Jeno don't forget to update Bilestein Fixing with Photos.

and let me know this shocks imported or your sourced some where?

and pls update the riding pleasure once it fixed, i am having idea to fix in future.

Thread Starter #142
Jeno don't forget to update Bilestein Fixing with Photos.

and let me know this shocks imported or your sourced some where?

and pls update the riding pleasure once it fixed, i am having idea to fix in future.
The bilstein B6 is fixed. Again, forgot to take photos while fixing [frustration]. And im looking to dirve another 200 kms to give a detailed review, so that it wont mislead anyone else who is looking to do the same.

Jeno.

All,

Can someone help in providing all the service and checks that would be done during a regular skoda octavia service in A.S.S.....below i what i think will happen...

1) CHnage Engine Oil
2) Replace Oil/Diesel filter
3) Replace break Oil.

What else will be performed?

Thread Starter #145
All,

Can someone help in providing all the service and checks that would be done during a regular skoda octavia service in A.S.S.....below i what i think will happen...

1) CHnage Engine Oil
2) Replace Oil/Diesel filter
3) Replace break Oil.

What else will be performed?
I had never given my car to Skoda A.S.S. . But i think other than what you have mentioned they might plug your car to the computer and run a check up.

Jeno.

Thread Starter #146
Bilstein B6. "Simply Exceeds Expectations"

Hello after a long time,
I took my own sweet time to test the bilstein b6. After driving it for almost 2k kms. Let me put up my primary observations.

Pros:

• Excellent Handling
  • Increased Height(much needed for octy)
  • Surprisingly comfortable
  • No more sound.(Pusssshhh.. sound while going on speed breakers)
  • Unlimited life

Cons

• PRICE
  • Availability for specific models.
  • Makes you forget about the speed (not soo good for indian roads.. what you think?)

Installation

So one fine day .. well wait.. late evening. I desperately wanted to intall the b6 in my cars, how long can a car enthusiast have the B6's in the cars boot?? You guys will understand this easily, so no more explanations on the desperateness . I made a phone call to Dhaya(TAI member) for some suggestions and he responded very well and quickly. I have to thank TAI and Dhaya here. So shocks were installed on the stock springs. And almost everyone around suggested me to change the struts while changing the shocks. But i didnt really do that, to be honest, i was not able to do that. Due to the stiffness of the B6 , the struts started to rub on the upper end. So the stock struts were also in good shape, so left it that way. Though i have the new struts in my boot. It was not all that smooth, but was not bad either, so now, even the mechanic was very interested in testing the car.

The Drive

First , the mechanic drove the car. and he was like "what the hell". I actually took some time to find out whether it is a positive or negative reaction [confused] . Fortunately it was a very positive one. He said that the shocks are extremely comfortable. But in my mind, "this is not supposed to be comfortable... and XF#$!EDW!$ " . Then i took the car and tried it, felt a huge difference in comfort. Here, i would easily say, this is because my old shocks have practically died [evil] . But as the mechanic works for skoda, he said that it was more comfortable than a brand new Octy. That too with unchanged struts. It should get better with new struts. I started to get the "happy man" feeling very soon. Labour for changing all 4 shocks was 1.5k, which i felt was very decent.

Comfort and everything is okay.. what i expected from the B6 was better high speed stability. And to take corners easily. I was driving back to my house after getting it fixed. Took a turn near Ashok Pillar (in chennai, and the road is quite big). While completing the curve i was surprised to see my speedo needle pointing 80 kmph(it was about 10 30 pm, so no traffic). It felt like a 30 kmph turn with the older shocks. So good vibrations were all around me. Then i started throw the car into corners in all possible situations. Had an excellent drive to my house. And i was not even able to sleep that night. Was just dreaming about the next highway journey. [;)]

Was it worth?

Totally yes. After using this shocks for 2k kms. It has just made things really better. Though its not as plush as say Hyundai i20. It is quite comfortable. And in terms of handling, its excellent. There is no up-down movement in the car at high speeds even in bad roads. Seems like a right balance, atleast for someone like me. And the bonus here was i i got it for a good price from a nice person who has used it only for less than 5k kms. So it seems even more worth for me. So will i buy a new B6 for my next car? Simply yes, but most probably when my car needs a shock absorber change.

Jeno.

Last edited:
Hey people i need your help.. I have to buy a used diesel car. I want either used Skoda Octavia OR Chevrolet Optra Magnum. I know about the fuel efficiency of skoda octavia which is great but when i look for fuel efficiency of Optra Magnum i don't get any clear answer. Some say they get 11 kmpl some are getting 17 in city. Can someone tell me about the real average that magnum gives. In my city Octavia gives 17-18 kmpl.

Hi Jeno, Really nice to see your car. And yes, its really great to see so many Octy fans like me in Chennai like you, SuryaHonda. I think we should have a meetup some day.

Thread Starter #149
Hey people i need your help.. I have to buy a used diesel car. I want either used Skoda Octavia OR Chevrolet Optra Magnum. I know about the fuel efficiency of skoda octavia which is great but when i look for fuel efficiency of Optra Magnum i don't get any clear answer. Some say they get 11 kmpl some are getting 17 in city. Can someone tell me about the real average that magnum gives. In my city Octavia gives 17-18 kmpl.
First sorry for the unacceptably late reply [frustration]

I dont know much about Chevrolet Optra , Except for the fact that its a Powerful and Comfortable car. But heard from ppl that mileage is about 11-13 city, and 16-18 in highways.

About Octavia, I calculate tank-to-tank every time i fill diesel. In heavy bumper to bumper traffic, dont expect more than 12 kmpl. But in normal moving city traffic, i get about 14-16 kmpl. In highways, totally depends on your right foot [glasses] . At constant 80 kmph , 22+ is guaranteed. I generally do, 140-160 and get a FE of 16 kmpl. Other than this, the engine should be in good shape and Synthetic oil should be used.

Drive Safe
Jeno.

@Param

Between Skoda Octavia and Optra, without any doubt Octavia gives more mileage man and also Octavia wins in ride comfort and many more !!

Top Bottom