Skoda Laura Goes Cheaper with Classic Variant

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Skoda Auto India has announced a new affordable "Classic" variant of the popular sedan Laura, which is priced at just Rs.12,28,999 Ex-showroom Delhi. Following is the list of features that are NOT available over other expensive variants.

* Alloy Wheels
* Height adjustment for driver and front passenger seats
* Lumbar support adjustment for driver and front passenger seats
* Front centre armrest
* Central infotainment system
* Škoda Swing audio player
* Audio Auxiliary
* Adjustable rear air conditioning vents on rear centre console
* Leather wrapped steering wheel, gearshift knob and brake lever
* Storage compartment under the front passenger seat
* Cooled Jumbo box under front armrest
* Eyewear compartment
* Front fog lights
* Parktronic sensors and speaker at rear
* Parktronic display on central infotainment system

skoda-laura.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Good initiative from Skoda, however i would have loved if below listed features are part of the Classic.
* Adjustable rear air conditioning vents on rear centre console
* Leather wrapped steering wheel, gearshift knob and brake lever
* Lumbar support adjustment for driver and front passenger seats
* Front centre armrest

I would never buy a stripped-out version of the Laura like this one. People buy luxury cars to experience luxury, to feel special. What's the use of buying a car that costs more than Rs.12 lakh and doesn't even come with something as basic as fog lamps? How great will it be to see a Skoda sedan with steel wheels!?! And no proper audio system? What is Skoda thinking? It worked with the Fabia, but I don't see it working with the Laura. When someone is buying a car costing so much, they will only be too happy to add a bit more and go for the fully-decked version. This car, I believe, is just for people who are on a Fiat Linea T-Jet budget and want a car with a Skoda badge on it. Not that it will matter much, because in a couple of days the badges will be stolen! :biggrin:

+1 to Amaan! I too feel exactly the same.

Maybe ICE freaks will prefer this variant as they can spend the saved money on a rocking after-market ICE.

this is not a welcome move and i agree with aman. most of useful features are missing then why the hell we should even pay 12.5 lakhs??alloy wheels, audio system, armrest etc are some features person atleast expects in this much price. neither skoda is has great snob value nor laura was expensive so this kinda moves are only good with mercs and bmws!!

Obviously they have done this after some research. There is a market for this model. A lot of people don't care about luxuries, the just want to make a statement by being seen in a premium car. Then there are those who want to customise. This will make the perfect car. I saw one of these customised to look like the RS. It came to 14.25 L or so OTR.

I think Skoda Laura's new stripped down version is to attract buyers of C-segment like what Altis J model does. Anyway this will lead to an increase in Laura's sales.

A new 'Premium Taxi' is here[clap]
Not a good move IMO. But it is very difficult to judge the market. It may be a big hit. Everything depends on how we look at the product. For a enthusiast who wish to mod the car, this would be the best choice.

The body, suspension, engine are the same. You need to look at the car before making judgements. It's really worth the price.
I agree dude.
My point here is, we get a pepier engine even in Palio 1.6 & Getz CRDi, a solid build engine from Toyotas and Hondas, same level of ride comfort & built like tank body from Optra. But our expectation is we want everything in a single car and IMO Laura scored well for our expectations. With this total ripe-off Laura loses it's premium feel.

Think of a Laura with steel wheels and wheel caps missing, or a premium segment car with no leather wrap in steering & gear knobs blahblahblah. Doesn't it look cheap?

I agree dude.
My point here is, we get a pepier engine even in Palio 1.6 & Getz CRDi, a solid build engine from Toyotas and Hondas, same level of ride comfort & built like tank body from Optra. But our expectation is we want everything in a single car and IMO Laura scored well for our expectations. With this total ripe-off Laura loses it's premium feel.

Think of a Laura with steel wheels and wheel caps missing, or a premium segment car with no leather wrap in steering & gear knobs blahblahblah. Doesn't it look cheap?
Looks like we are missing the point here. It's not like all versions have cost cutting. The higher end Laura's have everything you want. So what's the problem if Skoda launches a stripped down version? Those who want the luxuries have the option of the higher variants. Some people want the cheaper variant. For them it's better to own a stripped down version of a higher segment car than a fully loaded version of a lower segment car. And for many people upgrading from say a zen or a Swift LXi/LDi, this car has more luxuries and he'll be quite happy with it.

^^^
I totally agree with your view here.
But my point is, there are a lot of 'Cost Reduction' possibilities with Laura instead of 'Feature reduction' which is not a good move. Higher end may have gold wrapings, but in a common view Laura is Laura irrespective of the variant. We petrol heads look into each and every nook and corner of the car. But most of the potential buyers look for the added bells and whistles.

Top Bottom