Skillful Vehicle Parking: A Necessity Now

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Skillful Vehicle Parking: A Necessity Now.

Friends,

In today’s time we are witnessing rapid growth of vehicular traffic everywhere and one of the most important thing that we have lost due to this are the parking spaces; be it malls, home, hotels or office. Today the earnings and accordingly the necessity of a household have increased such that the concept of one vehicle per house-hold has almost faded away. Now, with the rise in income, a house may have 3-4 vehicles but due to the space constrains none of them are parked in the allocated parking. They have to be parked at alternative places and sometimes even at places where the parking is not even permitted.

I have often witnessed in many other cities that even the most luxurious of the cars and even bikes are parked on roads since the apartment parking is not able to accommodate. Parking to other places leads to 2 major concerns i.e safety of the car or bike and secondly, creating obstruction on the roads which hampers smooth vehicular movement at all times.

The rise of vehicular traffic has been most significant in the metro cities and semi-urban cities. The pleasure of going out on a weekend has reduced or should I say almost lost since one fears about the availability of proper parking spaces. People have to also compromise at a certain point with their choice of car due to non-availability of the parking space as today getting a proper parking space has become a far-fetched dream which one sees with open eyes. These constrains of parking space have also at many instances led to owners selling off their beloved rides with a heavy heart. I sincerely feel that apart from rise of resources, proper planning in infrastructure is sorely missing. There are big buildings in every city but with limited parking spaces. Day by day the parking of vehicles for the owners is becoming difficult. The reason for this according to me is the income that one earns. Profit from outlets is more than that from the parking in any building. But, for a moment, wouldn't it be nice to be considerate about the vehicle owners as well?

Talking about NCR region, over here also we have MNCs and big retail establishments but the traffic density is so high that none of them are able to accommodate it and so the cars and bikes are parked on roads leading to obstruction for others. Having talked about the space constrains for parking, an equally important aspect of parking a vehicle is the skill to park it effectively. As we all know, space to park is already very less, what adds to the misery is a haphazardly parked vehicle without being sensitive to the fellow owners. Over here also, people grab smallest of the opportunity to park their car in such a way that the other one has to either wait for long or sit helplessly. It is the rather unspoken sensibility that all owners should show towards each other by parking their vehicles sensibly. They should understand the fact that if their vehicle is hit by other then both of them will be at loss. Hence, at all times, vehicle should be parked appropriately so that even others can park too. This simple gesture can be very helpful to the fellow motorists around.

In the market area, no amount of arguments for a specific parking spot can lead to a decisive conclusion as it’s for public use. I have seen people arguing over parking spots to the limit of physical fights. What they fail to understand is that the space is limited so they should act accordingly instead of proving themselves as totally inconsiderate.

Here are a couple of points which I feel can solve this issue of parking to an extent

• Those who own independent houses should make sure that they design proper space for in-house vehicle parking so that other’s movement remains un-obstructed and their vehicle is secure as well.

• In a market area, if you are sitting in the car or on the bike, then upon seeing the fellow owner be considerate enough to move the vehicle and do not wait for him/her to request you.

• In Group Housing Society, park your cars and bikes in allocated parking only. If you buy a new vehicle then be sure of arranging a proper parking space first.

• If in an emergency, you may need to park a vehicle on road, do so, keeping in mind the comfort of other motorists too. I don’t have to tell, what are the repercussions of haphazard parking! Also, do use flashers at all times when parking your car on the road side. It informs the traffic behind.

• Do not park the vehicle right in the face of the car as it obstructs the movement of other.

• Park at only authorized parking points always.

• Do not misuse the parking space just for your benefit.

• Leave a contact number on the car's windshield. I know many do but not all are aware and practice this. It saves lot of time and unwanted happenings.

• Commercial/ Residential establishments to be designed with ample space to accommodate large number of vehicles.

• Do not argue over parking, let everyone get space. One should be accommodative.

Buddies, these are just some views by me based on my experience right from a market place to the independent house. I firmly believe that even in the limited space for parking if we have the skill to park the vehicle effectively and follow some basic norms it can make a great deal of difference for us all.

Regards

Akash

This is definitely a thread we needed and I was expecting a healthy discussion too. Let me start by breaking the ice.

As already mentioned by Akash, it is important to park responsibly and carefully and its even more important to park your vehicle such a way that it never obstructs the movement of other vehicles.

@Akash:
It would have been fantastic if you would have shared some of your experience as well as small precautions those one can take while parking their vehicles so the the vehicles can be parked even better and safer way.

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi Vipul, thanks for taking the initiative and humble appreciation buddy. As of my experience, I would like to share it with pics but yes in my sector here, we have independent houses and every house has minimum 2-5 cars but sadly have no place to park. Since this issue has risen due to house's designs, have witnessed verbal brawls taking place between neighbors as either of them at some point park their car on other's place due to lack of space.

Some of them are so selfish that they park their visitor's/guests cars on other's parking and don't even bother to ask or rather care for the fact that what if the other resident has to go out somewhere.

Neighbors parking on other's place is a common issue that arises due to lack of space. But everyone should respect the fact that if space cant be increased then atleast same space can be effectively used for benefit of all just by parking one's car properly and reasonably.

Tomorrow morning, I'll try and post some pics of it here. But at present, I am sharing a pic which I had also posted earlier, it clearly shows both the things i.e lack of space and skills of parking.

step0003.jpg

Regards

Akash

I am these days suffering with a very bad schedule. But my suggestion is that instead of posting the pics of wrongly parked vehicles it will be better to post the pics of the vehicles parked in right manner.

We can have a positive discussion here with pictures to describe the right parking methods as well as the techniques to get your car inside he parking spots even of the space is less.

@ Akash
An extremely relevant thread, as parking spaces become limited and parking disputes lead to collapse of relationships. The tip "Leave a contact number on the car's windshield" is pretty useful.

@ TSIVipul
I see some (+)ves in the Pic under Post #3. Two Cars (the 1st and 3rd) are parked within 150mm of the kerb !!! That's the way.

Last edited:
One need to have precise judgement in order to park close to kerb without hitting it.. I have hit the kerb once and after that learnt the exact judgement :P

I found a parking tutorial on 'You tube' by a Russian. It is excellent. Any one can check it from site. I used it very effectively for parking in shopping malls. The heading is Bay Parking Part-1,2&3. Also parallel parking was discussed. Though the original is in Russian but English version is also available. Since I am not expert in computer operation I could not site the link here. But friends if required can easily find it.

Thread Starter #8

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Here are some pics that show how we all effectively create space and responsibly park our vehicles and let others too be at peace and don't face any obstruction.

Creating a covered parking on empty plots so that it can be well used by owner. This empty plot belongs to me so what I did was I made sure with this type of structure at least my cars are safe and give no issues to other residents.

IMG_20150217_120240.jpg

If there is a kitchen-garden outside your house and have 2-3 vehicles at your home then it is advisable to create cemented parking and reducing it size so that road space is more and even your own vehicle can be safe and secure.

IMG_20150217_175102.jpg

IMG_20150217_175018.jpg

The RWA(s) can also create tiled parking on the boundaries of colony parks also that can house 10-12 vehicles easily without creating an obstruction for others.

IMG_20150217_175238.jpg

IMG_20150217_175301.jpg

Also, A humble request to all readers, never park your vehicle in the way shown below, if you have ample space at your disposal. This type of parking leaves little or no space to maneuver the other cars and at times 2 wheeler also which ultimately leads to unwanted dents and scratches on the vehicle.

IMG_20150217_135521.jpg

IMG_20150217_175535.jpg

1) As general concept for car safety, always make sure your car is equipped with a gear lock and make sure never to leave car in neutral gear at any parking. Always find proper space and park it right in the first place even if it needs a wait for 5-10 minutes.

2) Do not hand-over keys to parking attendants as they park the car according to their benefit only not bothering about the space to get in or get out of the car.

3) Do maintain proper distance while parking from other parked vehicle.

Regards

Akash

Kudos for your effort Akash, do accept my bow for your effort and the pictures you have posted are really very helpful. Let me drop two cents from my side based on my experience.

Have a look at the pics below:
Capture.JPG

Although parking the cars this way is great and it leaves a lot of space on the road too, but it is advisable to reverse park the car if adequate space is available for reversing. Why so? Here are my reasons:
  • While reverse parking, the driver always try to park the car straight while at the times one enter the parking spot, the driver doesn't pay much attention if the car is pared straightly or at some angle.
  • It is always easier and safer to pull out of parking spot if the car is reverse parked.

The adjoining pic will explain it even better.
Untitled.jpg

@Akash:
Although you park your car in a very effective way but I'd advise you to get the area properly cleaned because:
Capture2.JPG

• There maybe some snakes or rats in the grass and can enter the car.
  • Better is to get the area properly cleaned and it is even better to allow other owners also to park their cars in the place. This will not only help the area to be kept clean but will also ease off slight rush of cars on the road; that allows an easier and safer in-out maneuver of our car in the area.

I can see enough space to get at least 9 cars parked or 6 cars parked with enough place for getting the cars in and out and hence parking 6 cars in the space is what can be the perfect utilization of the plot.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Kudos for your effort Akash, do accept my bow for your effort
[cheers][thumbsup]

[*]There maybe some snakes or rats in the grass and can enter the car.
[*]Better is to get the area properly cleaned and it is even better to allow other owners also to park their cars in the place. This will not only help the area to be kept clean but will also ease off slight rush of cars on the road; that allows an easier and safer in-out maneuver of our car in the area.
You are absolutely right Vipul. I myself at times get scared in day time entering there. My mom has the hobby of farming so in that vacant plot apart from my 3 cars the front portion is used for vegetable growing. Latest being Spinach and Green Chilly.

The rest of the portion shall be cleaned for more parking in a month or so once the construction that is going on adjacent to my house is over. This year as it is I have to increase parking space, since I'll going in for a AT Ciaz by year end around Oct-Nov.

Mom has given open permission to park the cars to other residents also but none are bothered simply because of their fragile ego.

I can see enough space to get at least 9 cars parked or 6 cars parked with enough place for getting the cars in and out and hence parking 6 cars in the space is what can be the perfect utilization of the plot.
In all 12 cars including hatch and sedan can be parked together just like mini stockyard. Recently when my cousin sister's pre-marriage function took place, we had lot of guests, this space came handy and 5 cars came in easily.

Regards

Akash

The pic in post #3 is exactly what i see from two wheelers,its lazy parking.Just turn in & park,problem is,if two wheeler was parked leaving more gap towards driver side of car then car can pull out,that gap left by two wheeler is useless unless it was other way around.

Once i had recovered from high fever but was still weak,i found an Enfield bike parked cross like in pic in front of my car,after honking & failing to move the heavy bike i decided to slowly push it out of the way with my car bumper which was needing painting anyways.

Enfield owner comes running just from a few meters,he was casually smoking like a stud without caring until he realized i was going to ram his bike.

I see the clean India movement(Swachh Bharat) & wonder why government does not take road safety & manners seriously considering the amount of deaths & accidents in this country

But i agree parking is becoming an issue but people still lean towards big cars cos of status,I know i wont drive a Reva but i dont mind a luxury trimmed Polo DSG.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Toyota dealership felicitates ‘India’s parking legend’

Now the Driver Biju gets appreciation and memento from the Toyota dealer.

Innova_2.jpeg

Remember the appreciation and the gift is from the dealer (Aman Toyoto) and not from Toyota officially

Read

Top Bottom