Silver Venom! Mahindra Scorpio S4 (2016): Ownership Review

Thread Starter #32
Re: Second long trip

I'm not doing it. Helps that I'm more of a stock guy.
And the bridge shaking is normal, to prevent itself from collapsing due to load, wind & quakes.
Yeah, I know. If it were totally stiff, it would be more susceptible to failure.
Question: what is that device you have on the left corner of your dashboard?
CasualSurfer is right. It is the reverse proximity sensor. Fitted it when we visited the accessory shop tor the first time. Does help a bit.
Which route you took from Rameshwaram to Chidhambaram & Chidhambaram to Trichy?
I'm really a nutcase when it comes to directions, routes etc. Even James May's sense of direction is better than mine (saying this on the assumption that you watch top gear)
From Rameshwaram to Chidambaram, it was just the East Coast Road, of course we might have plied on other roads for short stretches. We just followed GPS and road signs.
For the return trip, we actually took the Virudhachalam road till Veppur and then took the Trichy road.
P.S: Do not count on me to give directions if you don't want to end up in some desert:stupid:

Thread Starter #34
Guys, a small update and also a little doubt.
Dad just called me from home in Nagercoil. (I live in Hosur now). Said that he had just come from the farm and was unloading things from the Scorpio. Finished it and tried to crank - no signs of life at all. Speedometer needle did the sweep and went back to 180 and stayed there.
Called a mechanic who came, inspected and immediately said battery dead. This is pretty shocking to me. Being used to old school vehicles, I always thought that dying batteries gave signs like lifeless cranking and stuff. But abrupt silence? Scary. Adding to the fright was the fact that it had just come from a 20 Kilometre run.
Mech swapped the battery from his car and the Scorp apparently fired up immediately.
The vehicle (and the battery) is only two and a half years old. My brother's car on the other hand has not needed a battery replacement at all and that one is seven years old!
Is battery the only cause of this? I've just realised that my old school trouble shooting knowledge won't help me one bit anymore[embarass]

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
I can provide some input on this.
it seems that newer Mahindra ecu suffers from such issue. it's as if ecu is monitoring Battery voltage, and if there's even a small shortcoming, it won't even try crancking. infact, even starter relays don't get energized. so what you get is relay ticks or silence.

the Battery often have enough Power to crank if you know how to hot wire the relay.

this is a very stupid design indeed.

Thread Starter #36
A little takeaway from the recent long ride. We usually measure the fuel efficiency of the Scorpio on long runs by full tank to full tank. I drive maintaining 105 to 115 constantly, though involving a little bit of snappy starts sometimes and the car always returns a fuel efficiency of 15.4 kilometres to the litre every single time, give or take 0.1 kmpl.
On the most recent drive however, I wanted to drive in lesser engine and wind noise so I maintained at 90 to 100 throughout the drive from Hosur to Nagercoil. Very minimal downshifting all along. My driving style was - throttle off - engine brake - obstacle clears most of the time - accelerate back slowly. Refuelled once and I noticed that the fuel seemed to get sipped a bit slower than usual. We munched 428 kilometres using 24.51 litres of diesel which comes out to 17.46 kilometres to the litre. For your information, car was driven by me, dad beside, mum in middle row and literally every possible cubic centimetre of remaining space choked with luggage. People sometimes claim much higher values by driving at 50, driving in a convoy reducing drag etc. but this was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.
It was a simple change in style, a subtle change but the results were astonishing. I believe the calculations were right too because the fuel gauge dropped very noticeably slower than usual. The results of reduced air drag at 90 to 100 as opposed to higher speeds also became evident.
Please do pen in your thoughts on this and share events where you also got FE figures that put a smile on your face and made you go, "You're a good buddy, car"

bhvm

Honoured Member
This is awesome. It shows what smooth roads with less traffic & a sedate foot can do.
Once I pegged my Xuv at 90 on the expressway and got verified 16kmpl, including passing thorough Bombay. I assume you have the same engine as mine.

Thread Starter #38
This is awesome. It shows what smooth roads with less traffic & a sedate foot can do.
Once I pegged my Xuv at 90 on the expressway and got verified 16kmpl, including passing thorough Bombay. I assume you have the same engine as mine.
XUV is tuned to 140 bhp and has a 6 speed gearbox so that can cause slight variations but nothing major. But it's so nice knowing that such huge vehicles with ample power and space can cruise all day long at a very healthy speed and still return good fuel efficiency if one is prepared to let go of the desires for racing starts, sudden braking etc.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Yes. Heavy elephants are not just powerful but also efficient.
The interesting vehicle is my safari DICOR 4X4. A heavy elephant but has bee consistently returning over 14 kmpl over past many runs.

I really don't understand the race for kitna deti hai, in smaller, cheaper unsafe cars.

Thread Starter #40
Yes. Heavy elephants are not just powerful but also efficient.
The interesting vehicle is my safari DICOR 4X4. A heavy elephant but has bee consistently returning over 14 kmpl over past many runs.

I really don't understand the race for kitna deti hai, in smaller, cheaper unsafe cars.
I might have to put in a point that the lower variants of the heavy boys are also not that safe but you have the advantage of more stuff to break before you get hurt, heavier gauge metal to take in more energy etc. Wish safety features were standard across variants instead of the manufacturers subtly saying, "You're not rich? Then you don't have to be safe." Sad.
But yes, I agree with you. There's not that much of a difference in investing in these types and investing in similarly priced other-segment cars with the mileage as the "No that won't do" factor.

Interesting review and thread. I always felt especially the likes of Scorpio returned very poor mileage both in city and highways, but reading your thread makes me feel that it depends on the driver. Defensive driving is not only safer but also easier on the pocket.

Top Bottom