Silver Lipped Stock Rims

Thread Starter #1

deville_56

Honoured Member
[evil]

This one is not as exciting as the previous DIY.

Reasons for this mod:
1. Fed up buying wheelcaps. Second set broken.
2. Wheelcaps not that cool.
3. No money for alloys. Real tight budget.
4. Poor roads+lady driven=bent rims. So alloys at risk.

Material required:
One can aerosol paint: Rs. 150. [Matt Black better than Glossy black. Those who want wacky looks can use florescent/flashy shades/chrome [lol]]
One roll masking tape: Rs. 20.

Will be over in 2 hours if you take off the wheels, 1 hour if painted with wheels on car.

Before

phot0580.jpg

After

phot0068.jpg

Nippon Pylox

25477123.jpg

Jack up

87447572.jpg

Wheelz off and cleaned

61912279.jpg

Masked the lips

68244781.jpg

Sample

11431364.jpg

Out to dry - Dry in 10 mins

37430520.jpg

Unmasked and ready to fit

13492059.jpg

Put them back and it's done

16862308.jpg

31272821.jpg

350Z

Core Team
Nice DIY as usual deville.
I think now if you put some cool wheel covers on it, They will look like alloys.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #3

deville_56

Honoured Member
Thanx. But wheelcaps are difficult to maintain. It's big mess putting them back. Will easily break with bent rims. Stock ones cost 1k+.

napster

Suspended
cool!, looks good.
before i got alloys i painted my wheels to black, got a spray can and just 15mins and the work was done:)

Thread Starter #11

deville_56

Honoured Member
Thanx all.

before i got alloys i painted my wheels to black, got a spray can and just 15mins and the work was done:)
Masking ate up all my time and taking off wheel one by one took more time. Can be done in 15 mins but everything will be black including the bolts, lips and sometimes wheel arch [evil]

Personally I don't like full black rims as it will look like the wheelcaps are lost [lol]

This was my first rim job. My friend's car. We bought two shades for inner part and outer lip. he was impatient and we mixed the paint to get another shade and the rim was painted full in that single shade. [frustration]

img0795resize.jpg

how do you get such ideas?
Saw a Fiesta with chrome-lipped black alloys. I was really impressed with that. Some Zens and 800s in my locality had chrome rings on rims. Thought of buying them, but I hate chrome and paint won't stay on chrome for long. So decided to paint them black and the lips silver. Used to paint with compressor and spray gun, but they were not available at the time of painting. So bought the spray cans. couldn't find nice shades of silver. so decided to leave them as such.

Why not paint the lip red like the apollo Sh-81 or colour is chrome [;)]
I din want whacky looks. So no chrome and red lips. Every ugly pulsar and discover has 1-inch thick stripes on wheels. I loved them before local people started sporting them.

Last edited:

napster

Suspended
are the chrome rings available in the market as an accessory?and can i fit them on my alto? if so how?
i've seen plenty of cars out here with silver lips on stock rims, you get them at accessory stores, you just have to stic kthem to your rims, its very easy to install, wont cost you more than 300rs

Thread Starter #15

deville_56

Honoured Member
i've seen plenty of cars out here with silver lips on stock rims, you get them at accessory stores, you just have to stic kthem to your rims, its very easy to install, wont cost you more than 300rs
completely agree with napster.

Amby got bolt on. clamp ll come to the other side of the rim via the holes near the lips in the rim. it's bolted on the other side.

Top Bottom