Should Vehicle Registration Details Be Accessible Online?

Your opinion?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Thread title says it all. Do you think that vehicle registration information should be available online publicly? This includes vehicle owner’s name, address, chassis and engine number of car etc. At times, it can be useful for instances of tracing the vehicle in case of accident / rash driving / finding used car details etc. but on another side - there is quite a possibility of this system being misused. Bangalore has already implemented this and now it will be done throughout Maharashtra soon.

An excerpt from DNA: Vehicle registration info to be available online in Maharashtra - Mumbai - DNA
For the first time, details of vehicle registration will be available in Maharashtra at the click of the mouse. The new system covering all types of vehicles, including two-wheelers, is expected to become operational from January 2012, according to a state government decision, conveyed to Mohan Joshi, an MLC from Pune. The details to be made accessible on the Regional Transport Office website will be vehicle registration number, name and address of the owner and the make, etc, a release issued in Pune said. The National Informatics Centre (NIC) which has been entrusted with the work would be completing the project by the end of December 2011, the release added.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Voted Yes, After all my address and phone numbers are available on our Bar Association website and is accessible by anyone who has access to the internet and I dont see any threat to me or my family cause its being made available elsewhere.

In my opinion it makes it easy to trace an offending vehicle without any difficulty if Registration details are made available on Motor Vehicle Department websites. And anything and everything can be misused, But that doesn't mean we have to give it all up just because of that. I guess the pros are more compared to the cons in this case.

Last edited:
I wont be voting for this as I have a mixed opinion, let me explain at one end we find this to be helpful for people to verify the details & get the information without the hassle of applying for information by going to the RTA office. The other side of the coin is we don't want people misuing the information for personal vendetta against each other & apart from this the information so obtain can be misused for illegal gains anywhere.

As long as the Govt. or the concerned department takes steps from abuse of information from happening, this can be termed a good initative if used in a constructive manner, however I would say major part of the populace will not be happy about it as literally their whereabouts will be available to anyone anywhere

I voted No but can vote yes as well provided there are certain ways that no one else can go and check my details. Ofcopurse an authorsied person should be able to do it but why a normal person just for fun should go and check my details? There shall be an option like give last 2 digits of your birth year / pan card No, etc so that only me and my family can check the details in case needed

It is really helpful for people buying used cars,and the buyer can verify it through online and need not go to R.T.O and check the vehicle's position there.
Well There's not much of harm in the addresses i think.

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team
No doubt, it can be useful. But making some personal information available (like address / contact details) simply by entering car registration number on a website by anyone is something that I would not prefer. If they really want to implement, then there must at least be an online registration system which should collect information about the registrant too and verify their details through SMS or sort. It will not stop the misuse but at least keep a record of people who are using the facility and it can be much easier to trace them if required. This may not be the best method but something on similar lines can be considered. I think this system has a few loopholes; otherwise, it is very beneficial if used in the right way.

Drive Safe,
350Z

No.

I do not want my personal details should be available online. We are already struggling with unwanted calls from different banks, call centres for something or the other. This would enable people to reach to me at my place as well [anger] ( Well who knows !! People might come up with this brilliant idea)

No.

I do not want my personal details should be available online. We are already struggling with unwanted calls from different banks, call centres for something or the other. This would enable people to reach to me at my place as well [anger] ( Well who knows !! People might come up with this brilliant idea)
use 1909 national don't call registry

I think its not good idea to put someone's information on web and give access to other to see it. What reason made the govt. to act on this. It is acceptable upto just put details of the car and only name of the owner. There is every chance that your information can be misused and as rightly said by shailinder it no long that a sales person will be at your doorstep.

Top Bottom