Should Tata Motors Explore 2-Wheeler Segment?

Should Tata Motors Explore 2-Wheeler Segment?

• Yes

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

I had a thought and wanted to share with you all here and have your views on whether Tata Motors should also plan and explore the 2-wheeler segment in India. In the present context, their recent cars have been well accepted in the market and buyers are showing their interest & trust in the products. The Impact design language has further done a successful turn around for them as well so with the same efforts and with help of a 2-Wheeler specific contemporary design language should TML think of entering the 2-Wheeler space of our Auto Industry? Already there are players like Mahindra, Honda, Suzuki catering to the 2 wheeler segments here and their products are also doing good. So, Should TML too spice up the space with their entrance?

Regards

Akash

I would definitely want them to enter the 2 wheeler segment. They have done some revolutionary things in the Indian car scene and with their current trend of safety, vfm, awesome designs they would do well in the 2 wheeler segment if they keep it up. But their R&D division would have to do some serious work if they want the same response TML cars are getting.

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I would definitely want them to enter the 2 wheeler segment.
I feel, to explore a new dimension of business there is a "4i" model which according to me can be instrumental in the long run i.e

1) Infrastructure.

2) Integration.

3) Innovation.

4) Improvement.

I have mentioned the above purely by the experience of my dad. Infrastructure is the core requirement followed by proper integration of thoughts & market requirement and based on the needs the brands should innovate and prepare new products and then with the timely improvements in the products the brand can retain it's share & enhance it's reach w.r.t the buyer base.

In case of TML, there is no shortage for infrastructure be it capital, land et al and if their thoughts integrate with the needs of our market (2-wheeler section) then surely there is no doubt they can very well innovate and with timely improvements to their products, they can sustain and enhance their share and reach in the market.

Regards

Akash

Interesting thread @Akash, I voted maybe, I am sure if they buy off an existing performance Bike unit, a Korean or east European, jawa, hyonseng, as tata's have deep pockets to turn around companies, as has been seen in the past.

Voted for maybe.
It is quite difficult for a new player, even though Tata is a reputed name in India, to penetrate into the two wheeler market with new products. Mahindra, even though had taken over Kinetic, still is struggling to get a foothold on the market. Most of the sales is for the established brands like Hero,Honda and Bajaj. Suzuki did take its time to get a small share, even though it had good products.

If Tata would be coming to the two wheeler segment, they would need to get into an exclusive brand new segment, like high range electric two wheelers, or maybe adventure tourers. However, it would still take some time to get the trust in the performance and adventure touring segments, while the electric segment still is a little easy to penetrate.

Voted "NO"
This is the time for TM to concentrate on the lineup of cars to be launched and consolidate & get a strong hold among mass selling cars.
The R&D team of TM are doing a FAB job year after year, maybe they can enter in future.

TATA Motors must explore Two Wheeler Segment, but then still they have to strengthen their passenger car segment to an extent and then they should think of getting into Two Wheeler. Mahindra has already strengthened their passenger car segment with Xuv 500, Scorpio and Bolero and then they entered into Two Wheeler Segment with Mojo (special in its segment which looks more macho and an able cruiser). And if TATA Motors enter, then they will be producing more VFM and rock solid bikes in the market.

But then still as @Nanofreak told TATA should buy an existing Two Wheeler Company and join hands in producing the Two Wheeler. For Example, Hero Motocorp introduced the Karizma in 2003 and still after so many face lifts and improving the Karizma to ZMR still didn't work a lot. Even though Hero produces the famous splendor but when it comes to powerful cruiser segment Hero Motocorp produced Karizma, it didn't pickup its phase in the market even though their product is reasonably priced then think of TATA entering the Two Wheeler Segment alone. So if TATA Motors want to be Successful in Two Wheeler Segment then they should be thinking different like nowadays a powerful cruiser/Tourer or a bike with retro feel is a direct hit in the market (example- Royal Enfield).

Still TATA Motors has improved a lot in design language with its passenger car segment. But when it comes to Two Wheeler Segment its better when TATA Motors acquires any bike company and produces bike for India. And let them get experience with that and expand the Two Wheeler segment of TATA Motors.

And we Indians should also be more supportive to Indian companies than any other companies so that the company and the country develops a lot than before. For example:- Most people bought Royal enfield and now the Royal Enfield company is becoming more advanced in developing their continental twins. So if there was not even a single person in the country to buy a Royal enfield then Royal enfield company might not produce any other product further. If we didn't buy the TATA Indica (1st gen) then TATA wouldn't have spent in developing newer products for Indian market.

So Whatever the value for money product might be, we Indians must support/buy the product produced by the Indian company to make India more developed country.

IMO, it will be better for TATA's to first make their 4 wheeler segment cash cow, once they are done with capturing significant market share, they may get into the two wheeler segment. Stepping now will be like too many things on their plate.

I think 2 wheeler market is in cross roads right now. Commuter segment is slowly going to end and also IC engines are on a death row. Going in now will be a massive investment risk.

Top Bottom