Should I Go With Dunlop Zebra Y-Plus Front Tyre on Spendor Plus?

Thread Starter #1
Hello people, i am a newbie here. Hope i would get good advices here.

Here is my story...
My father bought a Hero honda Splendor plus in year 2004. Since then, he was using it until he gave it to me in 2008 june because of back pain caused to him due to heavy riding on his previous bike Rajdoot. I was using Discover 125cc spoke versions bought in 2006 feb. Since the Discover's mileage was becoming so low even around 25kmpl due to unknown reasons, i sold it in 2008 feb and took over splendor. My father used to ride it rarely after that.

In 2008 june he met with an accident and in 2008 oct i met with an accident in the splendor. Both were due to skidding of bike. So i went to Herohonda authorized service center near my home where we usually give the bike for service and asked him. He asked me to change the rear tyre as the tyre threads were gone. So i asked him to fit a little thicker tyre i.e. the next size (3x18). He said, its not good for the bike and he wont do that. but said he will put MRF with good thick threaded tyre of size 2.75x18. So i accepted it and asked him to change.

Next day i went there and noticed that, he had changed the tyre, but not MRF but a dunlop zebra y-plus. I demanded a explanation, and he said the dunlop is also a good one. I saw the thread of the dunlop tyre to be thicker than my previous tyre and was little satisfied and so i paid for it and rode bake home! To be frank, i did't know much details of tyre. so i did not inspect the tyre and started continuing.

From 2008 till 2009 the tyre's performance was good but after 2009 aprl i again started experiencing heavy wobbling and skidding until in 2010 oct as i once again met with an accident at the speed of 30kmph reasoned due to skidding. My foot got injured severely and i had to lose my job due to that.

After healing, i took the bike to the same Service center and asking him, y my bike gets skidded at low speeds and y i get heavy wobbling. He inspected and said, i had fitted a wrong tyre in the rear. It should be 2.75x18 48p but i had fitted 2.75x18 42p (which is the size of front tyre). I got angry and replied that i had change the tyre at the same shop here only but the mechnic and manager denied. I went home and got the bill of the tyre and showed to them. They got shocked and said "sir, i guess it might be the mistake of the old mechanics and working and now here we all here are new workers and we dont know about this incident". The usual thing to escape..

From then, i decided not to go with them and searched on Internet and at last bought a Michelin sirac 3x18 tyre for rear and fitted it. Now the removed tire is Dunlop zebra y-plus 2.75x18 42p (the cheated one).

Actually, From the date of purchase of the bike, i have changed the rear tyre 2 times and this sirac is the 3rd one BUT never changed the front tyre. The current front tyre is Dunlop maxi-rib 2.75x18 42p. Its condition is ok, not worn off yet but has cracks.

My question is-
Is it advisable to change my front from Dunlop maxi-rib to Dunlop zebra y-plus both of same size? Wat about the grip and stable riding?
Many mechanics say its not advisable due to thread diffrence. Even one thread said, its good to change for disc bike but not advised for drum (mine is drum braked bike). But the "dunlop India" website says, both these are front tyres use for HH splendor. Infact Zebra is has more features and benefits than maxi-rib (as per Dunlop website). But the mechanics confuse me.

I am totally confused.. I am in a hurry too, because one of my brother's friend have asked for a tyre which is unused.
Wat should i do? Pls help.. Pls Advise..

Regards,
Rajiv

Re: Is it advisable to fit Dunlop Zebra Y-Plus tyre for front of my HH Spendor Plus?

Welcome aboard, MRF tyres are better than Dunlops anyday, Their compounds are more sticky and work well in the wet as well. And the MRF Zapper FS size 2.75-18 is the best one available for your bike from their lot. I've been using the same on my Unicorn and its the third set. Its also not true that the pattern is only for Front Disc brake equipped bikes.See here:MRF Tyres

Regarding the skid issue, Check the brakes whether its locking up and that the brake pads are in good condition. Also check if the wheels are bent or the spokes are loose, If your bike rides on wire spoke wheels. Another place to look at is the suspension, The shock absorbers at the rear and the forks upfront, Their working. Whether they are in good condition.

Also which is the wheel that skids, The front or rear?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Is it advisable to fit Dunlop Zebra Y-Plus tyre for front of my HH Spendor Plus?

Thank you Jalex.
I Appreciate ur swift reply to my question. I know that MRF tyres are always better than Dunlops ANYDAY!!! Even i had put new MRF tyres for my santro recently and brother had also fitted Zapper C for his pulsar just 2 months ago.

But sadly, wat i guess is, u did not read my story fully...
"I have no plans to buy a new tyre now and my question does't involve in buying a new tyre either".

I have the Zebra tyre of size 2.75x18 42p in my garage (which was bought in 2008 nov, removed in 2011 aprl because of size blunder made by HH Service center and then i fitted Sirac in the rear). With just 2.5yrs of use, the zebra is still in good condition. My current front bike tyre is the stock tyre and is 7 yr old and will get worn off possibly in a yr or 2.

My question is that simple. Is is advisable to put zebra tyre by removing maxi-rib both of same size 2.75x18 42p?
If u say yes, then i go to the mechanic the next day and change the tyre to zebra.
If u say no, because zebra in front might cause wobbling and skidding again!! then i will keep continuing front tyre with maxi rib until in gets damaged completely and then replace it with MRF.

See Jalex, this zebra tyre is just 2.5 yr old and that too was not extensively used. But i removed it to put sirac 3x18 because i found that is not the correct tyre fitment for use as rear tyre of Spendor (Rear tyre should be 2.75x18 48p, but was 2.75x18 42p, which is actually the size for front tyre and this cheating was done by HH service center near my house in 2008!).
I dont want to throw off a undamaged-good conditioned tyre and i think i can make use of the tyre for atleast next 2 or 3 years instead of buying a MRF front tyre of 1300bucks !

Just posted the question because the mechanics here confused me...

But if u experts too say that mechanic are rit!! then i have no choice and use the maxi rib for 1 more yr and then change the tyre to MRF!!

I hope u would clear my confusion!

Regards,
Rajiv..

Top Bottom