Should I Buy Used Tata Safari Storme After Using Mahindra XUV500?

bhvm

Honoured Member
even I've been troubled with Mahindra niggles of which we're quite big ones..however it's only Mahindra Service which was always helpful and has kept my faith in the brand.

about the fortuner, if you get one make sure you get Atleast 2012 model with squinty eyes. there are some major mechanical changes, including brakes.

the 2009-10 models are quite unsafe, period. I've driven 1.5 lac kms it's my humble opinion.

I feel its insane waste of money to spend 12-14L and go for a second hand car as a used car doesn't have any good image in the market. The model is changed, older model had issues etc and real life resale value is not as high as people here are trying to inflate and show and if it is then better avoid that car. If you are spending 15-16L then a brand new Hexa XM makes a lot more sense but you would miss out on features compared to W8 but still a brand new car is a brand new car and Hexa is doing great with that awesome engine. But a used car only if you get it very cheap.

Thread Starter #18
about the fortuner, if you get one make sure you get Atleast 2012 model with squinty eyes. there are some major mechanical changes, including brakes.
the 2009-10 models are quite unsafe, period. I've driven 1.5 lac kms it's my humble opinion.
I was initially considering only the 2012+ model Fortuners, had mentioned in my initial post itself, but the challenge with that is the asking price starts at 18L, even for 1.2L+ driven cars, for less than 1L driven cars its 20L+, insane quotes all over.
Regarding the mechanical changes between the pre & post 2012 models, I think its really limited to the brakes and bringing in 4X2 options, nothing beyond that. The front & rear bumpers, head lights, tail lamp, interiors, etc. underwent major overhaul, also the suspensions were made stiffer. Was there any other changes? May be am mistaken also, let me know.
If am not wrong the brakes were upgraded in the later half of 2010 itself, also upgrades are available for the older models. Again, spending 12L to 14L on a 6 to 7 years old car doesnt seem to be sensible, that is the dillema...
I feel its insane waste of money to spend 12-14L and go for a second hand car as a used car doesn't have any good image in the market. The model is changed, older model had issues etc and real life resale value is not as high as people here are trying to inflate and show and if it is then better avoid that car. If you are spending 15-16L then a brand new Hexa XM makes a lot more sense but you would miss out on features compared to W8 but still a brand new car is a brand new car and Hexa is doing great with that awesome engine. But a used car only if you get it very cheap.
Indeed, I agree. Hence did the fallback to Storme which should be available in the 6L to 8L bracket (good ones, 2013 or 2014 models). I have no plans to spend more than 10L on a used car now, after a lot of thoughts, I cant convince myself, though my family will agree to what I decide, which brings more responsibility and burden on me.
Buying a new car now is not really on the cards at the moment; even if I do, most likely it will not be another Mahindra or Tata, as they suffer terribly in the used car market, value depreciates to about half in the first 3 years itself. Really burnt my fingers with XUV. I like the Hexa to be honest, the plan is to get a Storme now and replace it with a used Hexa in next 3 or 4 years.

Thread Starter #19
Really exhausted with the Tata Safari Storme hunt..!!! Almost at the verge of dropping the plan and going for other options. There are only a very few Stormes available in the market for sale, to start with. Most of them are with the Dealers, asking for exorbitant rates even for the EX & LX versions having driven more than 80K KMs.
The other car under consideration is the Fortuner; not a fan of the looks of the old Pajero & old Endeavour, but there are a few luring deals available in the market. One of it is really appealing, the 2013, single owner, Endeavour 3.0L 4X4 AT, driven almost 1.2L KMs, with asking price of 7.75L. This is with a dealer and the price is quite low, on asking about it, he claims that the owner needed quick money and hence selling at low price and he claims there are no issues or accident history for the car.
As a wild card entry there are a few BMWs (2010 to 2012) also being considered the 3 Series and the X1. The major concern with the BMW, Pajero, Endeavour are the very high maintenance cost. Fortuner is also under the similar bracket, but the Toyota reliability gives it the edge. Though the parts are expensive, the probability of parts replacement are less (in comparison) from what I hear from others.
Really confused and not having too many options. But the problem is with the Fortuner asking price, 2012+ models are quoted mostly at the 20L+ range. I do not want to go for 2010 or 2009 ones. So the options are limited to the narrow window of 2011 models.
Should I stick with the hunt for Fortuner or consider BMWs as well?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Really exhausted with the Tata Safari Storme hunt..!!! Almost at the verge of dropping the plan and going for other options. There are only a very few Stormes available in the market for sale, to start with. Most of them are with the Dealers, asking for exorbitant rates even for the EX & LX versions having driven more than 80K KMs.
The other car under consideration is the Fortuner; not a fan of the looks of the old Pajero & old Endeavour, but there are a few luring deals available in the market. One of it is really appealing, the 2013, single owner, Endeavour 3.0L 4X4 AT, driven almost 1.2L KMs, with asking price of 7.75L. This is with a dealer and the price is quite low, on asking about it, he claims that the owner needed quick money and hence selling at low price and he claims there are no issues or accident history for the car.
As a wild card entry there are a few BMWs (2010 to 2012) also being considered the 3 Series and the X1. The major concern with the BMW, Pajero, Endeavour are the very high maintenance cost. Fortuner is also under the similar bracket, but the Toyota reliability gives it the edge. Though the parts are expensive, the probability of parts replacement are less (in comparison) from what I hear from others.
Really confused and not having too many options. But the problem is with the Fortuner asking price, 2012+ models are quoted mostly at the 20L+ range. I do not want to go for 2010 or 2009 ones. So the options are limited to the narrow window of 2011 models.
Should I stick with the hunt for Fortuner or consider BMWs as well?
Patience my friend!
6~8 months to hunt down a good car is common.

Stormes are a rare breed, esp well maintained ones.
If you use facebook try going to SOUL or storme page and posting there. Skip the dealers if possible. Resetting ODO on tatas is very easy.

They endy 3.0 is also a good deal. Spares are little costly. But status , wider wheels and 3.0 engine is worth it.

Dont get old BMWs or small BMWs. Once the BSI runs out, you can have really bad shocks and mini heart attacks. X1 will be very small. Almost a B class hatch like i20. And not much comfortable.

kkn13

Suspended
Stick to Storme or Fortuner only imho

Fortuner is a gamble since its a dealer, it could have odometer changes
Try a self seller for Fortuner, much better

Still check out the Fortuner
7.75L is a good price but only a full TD and cross verification will tell

Toyota part reliability is excellent and resale is also good

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
If you use facebook try going to SOUL or storme page and posting there. Skip the dealers if possible. Resetting ODO on tatas is very easy.
I already am in touch with one of the SOUL Bangalore WhatsApp group Admins (Srihari). Unfortunately that route has not been very helpful. I had tried the FB groups, but was unable to identify the official group, as there are too many of them.

They endy 3.0 is also a good deal. Spares are little costly. But status , wider wheels and 3.0 engine is worth it.
This car is gone. Sold the same evening I mentioned about it here.

Dont get old BMWs or small BMWs. Once the BSI runs out, you can have really bad shocks and mini heart attacks. X1 will be very small. Almost a B class hatch like i20. And not much comfortable.
Point taken, plan dropped.

Stick to Storme or Fortuner only imho

Fortuner is a gamble since its a dealer, it could have odometer changes
Try a self seller for Fortuner, much better

Still check out the Fortuner
7.75L is a good price but only a full TD and cross verification will tell

Toyota part reliability is excellent and resale is also good
I had mentioned about an Endeavour @ 7.75L not Fortuner; had it been, I would have taken it already. In Bangalore, no Fortuners are available below 13L. Am more interested in the 2012 face lift models and newer, which are available only above 18L range, most of them above 21L. [anger] Quite exorbitant if you ask me. The worst thing is that 90% of the Fortuners are with dealers, very less owners take the pain of selling their cars by themselves.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Last edited:
Thread Starter #24
Bro few stormes are available on OLX- Like new condition for 7L. getting a 2~3 year old is is like new only. You could buy extended warranty and have peace of mind.

Also, Try new Gen scorp. I believe these are the only options below 11L

https://www.olx.in/item/2014-tata-safari-storme-diesel-105000-kms-ID1gTMtT.html#71c65f0aaa
Am fine with any year made Storme, but I prefer VX variant, done not more than 75K KMs and first owner.
This car is an EX, done more than 1L KMs and its not a Bangalore (Bellary) car.
Not interested in going for another Mahindra car at least for a while, unless it is a Thar, which is not practical for my use, as of now.

This is an LX and has a tampered odometer, had done more than 1L KMs one year back, additionally this is with a dealer.

Apart from there there are a few other Stormes as well, but they are all asking for more price despite being accident vehicles, etc. and not clean dealings, not being able to talk to the original owner, there are middlemen (not really any dealers), but they call themselves, cousins, relatives, etc. doesn't really feel legitimate. Hence keeping away from them for now.

Thread Starter #25
Finally I managed to crack a deal on Safari Storme. Brought home a 2013 EX variant, only done 32K Kms, a good condition vehicle.

The car needs a detailed servicing. Any direction on which service center to go for the service? Am staying in Bellandur, in the Sarjapura Outer Ring Road.
The nearest one I have is of Concord Motors, to be honest from what I have seen there yesterday, most of them there do not know what they are doing. They don't even know if the Storme EX has a rear disk brake or drum brake, I was most surprised to learn that the service adviser or the persons who attended to the vehicle did not know where the Jack and its accessories are placed. When asked if the EX has a ABS they said lets open the bonnet and check.
They did a 40 Point check up on the car for me but it was horrible and I could spot 6 to 7 problems which were not in their observations. They did not give any report with what are the 40 points that they reviewed as such, instead all they gave was a note saying the wiper fluid container has a leak. I literally wasted my 2.5hrs & Rs.825/- there.
The other option I have is the Prerana Motors in the BTM Layout, are they any better?
Need urgent help on this matter, need to give the car tomorrow itself for service; Kindly suggest.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Congrats on the beast!
Safari needs some TLC. From the owner and not the mechanic.

May we know what was the deal and pics please?

Thread Starter #27
Congrats on the beast!
Thanks a lot..!!! [:D]
Safari needs some TLC. From the owner and not the mechanic.
Totally Agree, but we cant do all the servicing by ourselves. Need the mechanics to perform that. That is where we face the trouble, we are deprived of good service & maintenance experience from Tata authorized service centers.
May we know what was the deal and pics please?
I spent 6.25L on the car and there is some minor works required which will cost me a little more. The car mechanically is in great shape, clutch replaced a few months back, only done 32K Kms; Having said that, the exteriors are not in the greatest of conditions at the moment, with generous amount of minor scratches and a couple of minor dents on the bonnet.
I need to get the car serviced first @TASS, then a detailing job, both interior and exterior, mostly at 3M, only after that I will share the photos; Request you to kindly excuse me & wait for a couple of days.

Thread Starter #29
Update on the beast buddy.
The car is doing great.
Took the car to Tata service center and did a detailed service. Which was not a very good experience. I may have to consider taking the car to 3rd party workshops or multi-brand car service stations for a better experience.
Did a full on 3M treatment for both interior and exterior of the car. There were a few stupid writings and all on the windshield and on the body, which I got rid off during the 3M treatment process. There was a nudge guard (cant really call it a bulbar), which I removed as well respecting the new rules. Now the car looks & feels much better. Happy so far. Did not got a chance to go on long drives, did a 70KMs up and down drive on Sunday that is the longest except for weekday short drives. Planning to go to native by end of Feb or March, will update more during that drive.

kkn13

Suspended
The car is doing great.
Took the car to Tata service center and did a detailed service. Which was not a very good experience. I may have to consider taking the car to 3rd party workshops or multi-brand car service stations for a better experience.
Did a full on 3M treatment for both interior and exterior of the car. There were a few stupid writings and all on the windshield and on the body, which I got rid off during the 3M treatment process. There was a nudge guard (cant really call it a bulbar), which I removed as well respecting the new rules. Now the car looks & feels much better. Happy so far. Did not got a chance to go on long drives, did a 70KMs up and down drive on Sunday that is the longest except for weekday short drives. Planning to go to native by end of Feb or March, will update more during that drive.
Congrats , wishing you happy miles !!
PS- Your bio is out of date (One with the vehicles)

Top Bottom