Should I Buy Used Tata Safari Storme After Using Mahindra XUV500?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I was using an XUV5OO W8 till last month (now sold) which I bought new in 2013. That was a trusted companion and served me very well all these days, am looking for a replacement, another dependable machine. I have not considered any crossovers like Duster, Terrano, Ecosport, etc; though am lured towards Creta, am ruling it out as I need a ‘bigger’ car and want the SUV stance, it difficult to get down from the XUV feel. Also we have one Creta already in the family, with my sister.
Must Haves : ABS, EBD, 2 Air Bags, Good Power, Low end Torque (least Turbo Lag), Good Comfort, Good Drivability in both city & highway, Plenty of space, Very good ground clearance
Good to Have : 4 or more Air bags, ESP, Leather seats, 4X4, Good music system (Double-Din preferably)
Budget : Initially decided to have 15L (only for Fortuner), now cringed to 8L, spend a few bucks on upgrades if needed, like Tyres, Insurance, Aftermarket Music system + Amp + SW and planning to Save the remaining fund

Other options under consideration & Ruled-Out:-
Fortuner – One of my beloved vehicles, was considering 2013 or above the second generation as they call it. Found a few specimens in the used market, but almost all (good ones) are in the 20L+ range, outside of my budget. Most of the cars are available with dealers. Dropped
D-Max V-Cross – Good looks and utility, got 4X4, good power & low end torque but lacks almost all the others I needed, especially comfort in the second row seats. Also the Cargo carrier looks may not be that good for family use. Lifestyle vehicles are not too common still in India. Dropped
Creta – Hmm… Not in the expected league, but still better than Ecosport & Dusted (strictly my opinion). Spacious to some extend and has almost all of the ‘must haves’, was looking primarily for the SX(O), used ones available at 15L range. Dropped
XUV 5OO – Well, I contemplated getting another used XUV as well, the revised new look ones. While I love the revised XUV interior, I completely hate the outside modifications done. The Mahindra service and experience was not the best I received, hence not too keen to go back to them. Dropped
Cruze – Yes, I know its nowhere close to the category of cars under discussion, do not have most of the must haves in my list. To be honest this is one of my favourite Sedans ever since it was launched in India. Icing on the cake is that now with the Chevy leaving the Indian market, there are plenty of Cruze on sale at very low price, again considering on 2013+ models. The challenges with this is that the money spent on the car is most likely a complete write off as there won’t be many takers after 2 to 3 years for this car from now, Parts availability would be a major concern, The Chevy might support the customers for max 3 years honouring the guarantee and liability of the recently sold cars, that too will not be dependable as they do not have to worry about sales figures or the company good will. Dropped

After quite a lot of contemplation and discussions, am thinking why not the Safari Storme (used of course)? It ticks almost all my ‘Must Haves’ with the VX variant. Back in 2013 when I bought the XUV, Storme was a very strong contender. Additionally, the Safari has been a dream car for me since its launch. My wife also likes the car very well. We usually drive to our native, Kerala 4 to 5 times a year, with my 4 years old sun, about 650KMs one side, with lots of luggage, to (less) & fro (a lot). Hence need a good car which is comfortable and stress free. Found a few Storms for sale in the online portals at quite reasonable prices. To be honest I cant still digest the price of the new Storme compared to the features on offer with it; hence it lost the duel earlier and I bought the XUV. The resale value of the car is quite low as well, which I would like to exploit now. [evil]
  • Is it a good idea to go for a used Safari Storme, the 2013 – 2014 models, Are they really dependable?
  • Will there be major issues with the car and would I need to spend a fortune on repairs and maintenance (I mean as a pattern/ trend)?
  • The Tata service (TASS) – have read in this forum that a few of our members had good experiences for the Tata ASS. Are they dependable now (particularly in Bangalore) or will I have to go with Season-2 of the Mahindra service experience?
  • What could be the reasonable price for a well maintained 2013, 60K driven VX 4X2 in Bangalore?
  • I have to expect (mostly) immediate expenses for Tyres, Insurance for the 60K driven cars, any other obvious ones can come in? Like the Clutch overhaul, Suspension repairs or such expensive affairs?
  • What are the key things to lookout for specifically in Safari Storme while checking the condition of a used car?
Requesting help and support from fellow TAI members & long term Storme owners in my decision making process.
No offence to the other cars and their owners, they are all capable and good ones in its own ways, just that I have my reservations with them, entirely my perspective and preferences.

Thanks,
Arvind.

Re: Should I buy a used Safari Storme after using XUV5OO..?

Hi All,

I was using an XUV5OO W8 till last month (now sold) which I bought new in 2013. That was a trusted companion and served me very well all these days, am looking for a replacement, another dependable machine. I have not considered any crossovers like Duster, Terrano, Ecosport, etc; though am lured towards Creta, am ruling it out as I need a ‘bigger’ car and want the SUV stance, it difficult to get down from the XUV feel. Also we have one Creta already in the family, with my sister.
Must Haves : ABS, EBD, 2 Air Bags, Good Power, Low end Torque (least Turbo Lag), Good Comfort, Good Drivability in both city & highway, Plenty of space, Very good ground clearance
Good to Have : 4 or more Air bags, ESP, Leather seats, 4X4, Good music system (Double-Din preferably)
Budget : Initially decided to have 15L (only for Fortuner), now cringed to 8L, spend a few bucks on upgrades if needed, like Tyres, Insurance, Aftermarket Music system + Amp + SW and planning to Save the remaining fund

Other options under consideration & Ruled-Out:-
Fortuner – One of my beloved vehicles, was considering 2013 or above the second generation as they call it. Found a few specimens in the used market, but almost all (good ones) are in the 20L+ range, outside of my budget. Most of the cars are available with dealers. Dropped
D-Max V-Cross – Good looks and utility, got 4X4, good power & low end torque but lacks almost all the others I needed, especially comfort in the second row seats. Also the Cargo carrier looks may not be that good for family use. Lifestyle vehicles are not too common still in India. Dropped
Creta – Hmm… Not in the expected league, but still better than Ecosport & Dusted (strictly my opinion). Spacious to some extend and has almost all of the ‘must haves’, was looking primarily for the SX(O), used ones available at 15L range. Dropped
XUV 5OO – Well, I contemplated getting another used XUV as well, the revised new look ones. While I love the revised XUV interior, I completely hate the outside modifications done. The Mahindra service and experience was not the best I received, hence not too keen to go back to them. Dropped
Cruze – Yes, I know its nowhere close to the category of cars under discussion, do not have most of the must haves in my list. To be honest this is one of my favourite Sedans ever since it was launched in India. Icing on the cake is that now with the Chevy leaving the Indian market, there are plenty of Cruze on sale at very low price, again considering on 2013+ models. The challenges with this is that the money spent on the car is most likely a complete write off as there won’t be many takers after 2 to 3 years for this car from now, Parts availability would be a major concern, The Chevy might support the customers for max 3 years honouring the guarantee and liability of the recently sold cars, that too will not be dependable as they do not have to worry about sales figures or the company good will. Dropped

After quite a lot of contemplation and discussions, am thinking why not the Safari Storme (used of course)? It ticks almost all my ‘Must Haves’ with the VX variant. Back in 2013 when I bought the XUV, Storme was a very strong contender. Additionally, the Safari has been a dream car for me since its launch. My wife also likes the car very well. We usually drive to our native, Kerala 4 to 5 times a year, with my 4 years old sun, about 650KMs one side, with lots of luggage, to (less) & fro (a lot). Hence need a good car which is comfortable and stress free. Found a few Storms for sale in the online portals at quite reasonable prices. To be honest I cant still digest the price of the new Storme compared to the features on offer with it; hence it lost the duel earlier and I bought the XUV. The resale value of the car is quite low as well, which I would like to exploit now. [evil]
  • Is it a good idea to go for a used Safari Storme, the 2013 – 2014 models, Are they really dependable?
  • Will there be major issues with the car and would I need to spend a fortune on repairs and maintenance (I mean as a pattern/ trend)?
  • The Tata service (TASS) – have read in this forum that a few of our members had good experiences for the Tata ASS. Are they dependable now (particularly in Bangalore) or will I have to go with Season-2 of the Mahindra service experience?
  • What could be the reasonable price for a well maintained 2013, 60K driven VX 4X2 in Bangalore?
  • I have to expect (mostly) immediate expenses for Tyres, Insurance for the 60K driven cars, any other obvious ones can come in? Like the Clutch overhaul, Suspension repairs or such expensive affairs?
  • What are the key things to lookout for specifically in Safari Storme while checking the condition of a used car?
Requesting help and support from fellow TAI members & long term Storme owners in my decision making process.
No offence to the other cars and their owners, they are all capable and good ones in its own ways, just that I have my reservations with them, entirely my perspective and preferences.

Thanks,
Arvind.
Check with New KUV or TUV. That could fit in budget.

If you are looking at hardcore SUV then used storme can be your choice. However need to be sure that used storme is not abused by previous user. Plus the storme interiors are very bland compared to xuv that you have used. You may not have all the luxury provided by xuv in storme. But ride quality will be very good.

Thread Starter #4

Check with New KUV or TUV. That could fit in budget.
No plans to go with Mahindra for a while now due to the unpleasant experiences i had over 4 years. Also not interested in going for a new car now as I recently took a huge toll due to the low resale value of the Mahindra.

If you are looking at hardcore SUV then used storme can be your choice. However need to be sure that used storme is not abused by previous user. Plus the storme interiors are very bland compared to xuv that you have used. You may not have all the luxury provided by xuv in storme. But ride quality will be very good.
Yes, Am aware of that, also the too much beige of the interior in VX, including the steering is a deterrent. Having said that I really liked the latest Storme Java Black interior and am drooling the Varicore-400, but those would be available at 10L+ budget used. Am good with the lack of bells and whistles in the Storme, as I have not regularly used majority of the features in XUV and can live without them, if am spending only 8L on it. However spending 16L on this car new was a point of concern in 2013 (even today for that matter), hope you got my point.
The question is more on the reliability & dependability of the car. Also the things to be looked out for while identifying a good car (rater spotting an abused car).

kkn13

Suspended
Id say go for Fortuner, Toyota is a safer buy, better resale,more reliable, better after sales and parts availability is excellent even years later(See Qualis)
Even if you dont like the car later on, youll still get insane resale value for Toyota which is not possible with other brands, most notoriously Tata in this case
Mahindra resale is still better from what Ive seem (Aria vs XUV)

No plans to go with Mahindra for a while now due to the unpleasant experiences i had over 4 years. Also not interested in going for a new car now as I recently took a huge toll due to the low resale value of the Mahindra.

Yes, Am aware of that, also the too much beige of the interior in VX, including the steering is a deterrent. Having said that I really liked the latest Storme Java Black interior and am drooling the Varicore-400, but those would be available at 10L+ budget used. Am good with the lack of bells and whistles in the Storme, as I have not regularly used majority of the features in XUV and can live without them, if am spending only 8L on it. However spending 16L on this car new was a point of concern in 2013 (even today for that matter), hope you got my point.
The question is more on the reliability & dependability of the car. Also the things to be looked out for while identifying a good car (rater spotting an abused car).
Well to identify a well maintained car, you will need to search the SOUL groups. they are on fB and whatsapp. I see you are based out of bangalore. So If you want i will try to identify if there is any soul member willing to sell his storme. Generally the stormes owned by SOUL members are regularly serviced and will get genuine users.

Thread Starter #8

Id say go for Fortuner, Toyota is a safer buy, better resale,more reliable, better after sales and parts availability is excellent even years later(See Qualis)
Even if you dont like the car later on, youll still get insane resale value for Toyota which is not possible with other brands, most notoriously Tata in this case
Mahindra resale is still better from what Ive seem (Aria vs XUV)
Yeah, I had noticed that. But the ride quality in Fortuner is not that great rite? Its bumpy and not very comfortable I heard. Also the used car asking prices are very high. I think its better to go with the 2012+ (face-lift) models, almost all are available at 19L+ prices, which is outside of my budget. The pre-2012 models are further inferior as per my research. Would it be a good idea to go for older models?
Since the resale value of Safari Storme is less, i was thinking I could take a gamble with it, so that I will not loose a lot of money in terms of depreciation (already burnt my fingers on XUV resale). But a dependable and trouble free experience is a must. Read a few serious issues being reported in this forum during the initial days of ownership itself, wanted to know if the long term dependent is there once the initial issues are ironed out, from the Storme owners who has the car for longer term.
Well to identify a well maintained car, you will need to search the SOUL groups. they are on fB and whatsapp. I see you are based out of bangalore. So If you want i will try to identify if there is any soul member willing to sell his storme. Generally the stormes owned by SOUL members are regularly serviced and will get genuine users.
This is a very good suggestion, any help on this regard is really appreciated - I have sent a PM to you. And yes, am in Bangalore.

kkn13

Suspended
Keep looking , I got offers for Fortuner as low as 14L for pre 2012, 17L for 2013 model
Ride is a bit bumpy but not a deal breaker, Safari isnt exactly supple either
Dont expect Toyota like reliability, parts etc from Tata cars especially used ones
Storme isnt a bad car but too much of a gamble if you ask me given the low resale

Theres no difference mechanically in 2012 and facelift

bhvm

Honoured Member
TrafficHacker, why did you sell the XUV? 2013 was not very old. And you drove a W8 1st gen, which is heavily loaded variant with all bells and whistles. Switching to Storme will make it feel very bland and primitive.

Fortuner is another story. We sort of went to fortuner from the safari. Believe me, Its a downgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
KK, why did you sell the XUV? 2013 was not very old. And you drove a W8 1st gen, which is heavily loaded variant with all bells and whistles. Switching to Storme will make it feel very bland and primitive.

Fortuner is another story. We sort of went to fortuner from the safari. Believe me, Its a downgrade.
Whoa - thats a wild statement in terms of the downgrade - Fortuner is a full segment above the safari and frankly there is no comparison, ride quality of the Safari trumps the fortuner - thats the only major advantage. There is no comparison otherwise from a reliability and durability front - i think its unfair to the safari to compare to fortuner given the price gap.

I would say go for a fortuner and get it upgraded to a OME suspension kit - that sorts the ride quality problem once and for all!

bhvm

Honoured Member
Whoa - thats a wild statement in terms of the downgrade - Fortuner is a full segment above the safari and frankly there is no comparison, ride quality of the Safari trumps the fortuner - thats the only major advantage. There is no comparison otherwise from a reliability and durability front - i think its unfair to the safari to compare to fortuner given the price gap.

I would say go for a fortuner and get it upgraded to a OME suspension kit - that sorts the ride quality problem once and for all!
Sir IR,
I would stand by my observations.
I have driven the India's Best Big shot SUVs along. The Majestic Safari, The Butch Fortuner and Tech-Savvy XUV W8. We had them all. And in one garage so. Sometimes together on trips.

Please note that in OP's budget he will get only the 1st gen Fortuner, and which was the one we had. The Fortuner 3.0 MT With Full time 4wd.
On comparing Fortuner and Safari Dicor, I will say,
It had the same Innova Interiors. There was no touch screen. Controls were simple and manual. Not very different from safari. Whats on the safety front? The fortuner had 2 airbags and ABS. Same with Safari. No points there. Initial Torque was slightly better in Fortuner (171 Horses vs 140 for dicor). But on the highway and an all sane conditions, They performed equally. Safari never felt lacking anywhere.

So whats different you ask?
Safari Returned 11~12 KMPL vs 9 Kmpl for Fort.
The ride quality. Safari has this magic carpet ride and one of the best seats. Where the fort would thud and bang and crash, the safari would very gracefully glide.T Fort felt very stiff and the occupants never liked it. And if we talk about the brakes- Oh my god!

Fort had worse brakes than a bullock cart! It took too much distance to stop. Now safari was not renowned for having any good brakes and its a very heavy elephant. It would pitch a bit but will still stop quicker than Fort. Infact we had many heart numbing Near misses with T Fort, Thats the reason XUV came in and All highway trips were diverted to XUV only.

Then there was maintenance. I would call myself lucky but we never had service issues with Tata. Guys were humble and did what was said. Fort would eat its front brakes in 15~20k Kms flat. Then there was small bits like wiper set which was priced at 3k.
Headlights costs 33k. ORVMs are 18k a Piece. Prices might have changed due to new taxes. It was easy to spend 20k per service visit for t-fort just for regular maintainance. If anything would break, bills over a lac are common.
The safari parts were cheap. Air filter was 425. Wiper set 900. Headlight 5k and ORVM 6k I think. Memory is a little rusty.

There is this misconception that anything that is expensive is somehow better and more premium. The T-fort is nothing but High-lux pickup. The image in those countries might be something like tata mobile or Mahindra getaway. And it shows.

Last edited:
We can agree to disagree then [:)] i see no point comparing a fortuner to a safari or xuv, its a different league. Both brakes and suspension in a fortuner is easily upgrade able - man old gen owners have done that already. I wouldn't even bother comparing FE in different segments.

If i was looking for long term i would never look at a used safari - there is nothing wrong for a fortuner to have a hilux base - its a testament to its bullet proof reliability, its not a negative , its a positive in my books!

Fortuner just requires an Old Man Emu upgrade ! It will take you to timbucktoo and bring you back as well as a bonus!

kkn13

Suspended
My brother had Safari Storme before XUV500 and my grandparents had Fortuner before Crysta
While Storme did have a good engine and ride quality, Fortuner had the edge in ease of driving, maintenance etc though ride quality at the back was bouncy
XUV was niggle loaded but Mahindra ASC were very helpful

Toyota is Toyota even if they charge a premium

Thread Starter #15
TrafficHacker, why did you sell the XUV? 2013 was not very old. And you drove a W8 1st gen, which is heavily loaded variant with all bells and whistles. Switching to Storme will make it feel very bland and primitive.
Aahhh... Please dont remind me of that episode, to put it very simple it was a mistake. I was asked to travel onsite for a long term assignment as part of my work, which unfortunately did not take off, all got cancelled a few days before the travel date. Thanks to the competitor company who took away the phase-2 & 3 of the current project that am part of. [gun]
Did not think it was wise to park the XUV idle for 2 to 3 years, also by then the resale value would get even low, hence took the leap, but I fell flat on the turf, I repent that decision now. Having said that, I also had been through enough torture from the Mahindra service experiences. Was not at all happy with them.
Thats interesting. I know the ride quality is superior in Safari any day, also the Fortuner interiors are just 'utilitarian', at best, in reviewers terms, which i totally agree. I would prefer picking a good Fortuner, just for the Toyota reliability even at 3L mileage. However they are highly overpriced atleast in Bangalore, all north or 12L even for 2009 models.

Sir IR,
Then there was maintenance. I would call myself lucky but we never had service issues with Tata. Guys were humble and did what was said. Fort would eat its front brakes in 15~20k Kms flat. Then there was small bits like wiper set which was priced at 3k.
Headlights costs 33k. ORVMs are 18k a Piece. Prices might have changed due to new taxes. It was easy to spend 20k per service visit for t-fort just for regular maintainance. If anything would break, bills over a lac are common.
The safari parts were cheap. Air filter was 425. Wiper set 900. Headlight 5k and ORVM 6k I think. Memory is a little rusty.

There is this misconception that anything that is expensive is somehow better and more premium. The T-fort is nothing but High-lux pickup. The image in those countries might be something like tata mobile or Mahindra getaway. And it shows.
Precisely the reason why I was considering Storme, the maintenance & parts cost is quite affordable, in comparison with Fortuner. Also the used car prices are kind of reasonable (unreasonably low from a Storme owners perspective though). I totally agree its bland and misses all the bells & whistles that I had in XUV, but hey, I did not use half of them practically on the car.
Eg., Auto headlamp, I never used it, as it will not allow high beam in that mode in XUV; Auto Wiper, Never used it as i do not wish to scratch the windshield unnecessarily with a light drizzle. i always wait for some water to flow on the glass to ensure the dust is washed away and then operate the wipers; Navigation/ Maps, Well i used it quite a bit but was never satisfied, totally erroneous and had took me to wrong destinations, additionally to search and find a location has been task by itself; many more like that...

i see no point comparing a fortuner to a safari or xuv, its a different league. Both brakes and suspension in a fortuner is easily upgrade able - man old gen owners have done that already. I wouldn't even bother comparing FE in different segments.

If i was looking for long term i would never look at a used safari - there is nothing wrong for a fortuner to have a hilux base - its a testament to its bullet proof reliability, its not a negative , its a positive in my books!

Fortuner just requires an Old Man Emu upgrade ! It will take you to timbucktoo and bring you back as well as a bonus!
My brother had Safari Storme before XUV500 and my grandparents had Fortuner before Crysta
While Storme did have a good engine and ride quality, Fortuner had the edge in ease of driving, maintenance etc though ride quality at the back was bouncy
XUV was niggle loaded but Mahindra ASC were very helpful

Toyota is Toyota even if they charge a premium
It is an option to get a good Fortuner and then upgrade the suspension, brake, ICE, etc. and make it a better one, but we are talking about a huge investment here. To get a good car itself will cost me a good 12L to 14L, even that would be a 2010 or 2011, then put another couple of lakhs for the upgrades would get me to 15L to 16L range. Now, my plan is to keep the car for another 3, max 4 years. With that plan am going to lose a lot of money for sure. With Storme, even if i go for some reasonable upgrades, it would be much more pocket friendly.
But there are a few people out there who has no idea about the market rates and what a selling price is for their cars quoting for 11.5L+ for 2014 model car. Another instance i saw was with 2013, 50K driven, already 2nd owner car asking price being 9L. Now there are not much options in the market unfortunately.

Top Bottom