Should General Motors Revive the Opel Brand in India?

Should General Motors India Revive Opel Brand?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
General Motors introduced the Opel brand in India in 1997 with the launch of Astra. Known as a premium mid size sedan by then and retailed at a price tag of roughly around Rs.8 – 9 Lakh. The range enhanced with the release of Vectra and Corsa later in 2003. Though these cars were competent in their own aspects but had one thing is common – Expensive maintenance costs. Eventually, General Motors decided to phase out the Opel brand from the market and quietly slipped ‘Chevrolet’ for the fresh innings. This further led to a poor resale value of the Opel cars which was already very weak. Need not to mention, leaving some owners owners disappointed as well. Now my question is – Do you think General Motors should consider reviving the infamous ‘Opel’ brand in India albeit in a totally new avatar?

It would be a serious decision if ever GMI thinks doing so, as building up a lost reputation in a conscious market like ours is not an easy task. It is also the reason why manufacturers like PAL and Fiat are still struggling to achieve their sales targets. Recently I was browsing through Opel’s Global website (Opel International Vehicle Range) and found a few fresh models which might interest the Indian buyers if positioned and marketed well. What's Your take?

Opel Corsa (Hatchback)
Opel-Corsa_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_19.jpg

Opel-Corsa_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_3c.jpg

Opel Astra (Mid-Size Sedan)
Opel-Astra_Sedan_2013_1024x768_wallpaper_03.jpg

Opel-Astra_Sedan_2013_1024x768_wallpaper_05.jpg

Opel Zafira (Multi-Purpose Vehicle)
Opel-Zafira_Tourer_2012_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg

Opel-Zafira_Tourer_2012_1024x768_wallpaper_1a.jpg

Opel Insignia (Entry Level Premium Sedan)
Opel-Insignia_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_06.jpg

Opel-Insignia_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_2f.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

GM has a very good Brand under its umbrella "Opel" in UK. it has long history as GM and definetly has lot of potential to re-enter in to indian market with many new models. few models like corsa, has killer looks , would defenetly do good in indian market provided positioned at a very attractive price.This would give run for money amongst many competitors. This would also help in repositioning GM brand value to a greater extent.

GM should seriously look in to re entering Opel brand , or atleast get the same models under chevy badge, as it does globally. As Gm are bad in responding to market considering their centerian history and the product line up they have globally, ( except Beat diesel ).

To survive in maturing market like india, where people's expectations are extrapolating and increase in disposable income makes india a very good market after China , GM should seriously rethink about their strategy and be profitable and sustain in auto industry.

GM should learn from their past on relaying only on US market and went bankrupt. learn and respond to needs GM!!!

GM should definitely re-introduce Opel Brand in India.I have seen their other vehicle like Opel Mokka which is a serious contender to Ford Eco Sport,XUV 500,Renault Duster.
Atleast GM can re-badge Opel vehicles as Chevy and introduce in India.Don't know the reason why they hesitate to launch their different array of Vehicles which they already posses.It saves millions of rupees as they need not invest on R&D and platforms.

GM also owns a part of SAAB which is nearly bankrupt.They can also re-badge SAAB vehicles as Chevy as mentioned above.

I am attaching some images of OPEL Mokka which can be introduced as mini Captiva.

Attachments

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
I am attaching some images of OPEL Mokka which can be introduced as mini Captiva.
Total five votes out of six for ‘Yes’ indicate that most of us would love to see Opel back. Makko reminds me of Ecosport from the side and tail lamps slightly resemble to Nissan Sunny. Now whether Opel re-enters in India or not. GM should focus to bring this car here. The Compact SUV segment is filling up quite fast in India.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I am an Opel fan. We have had 2 Astras and I had to opportunity to test drive the Vectra. They make such amazing cars that I would not like to sit in any Honda, Toyota or Suzuki after a drive in an Opel. Their cars were high on comfort, high on handling & stability, high on features, high on ride quality and high on build strength. And even looks.

Opel's new gen cars look great but I am not sure how many Indians would actually buy their cars, considering that it has earned a bad reputation for itself regarding FE and maintainence.

Personally i think they should come under Vauxall brand - start afresh with no past baggage(though we know whose who!) - they have a range of car/suv for nearly every segment - i would love to see it in india!

hell yeah man! opel cars are solid engineering marvel . it gotta be gm's bad luck to discontinue from india. now their time has come to sell it alongside chevy!!

Opel Astra used to be one of my favorite cars. I really liked the looks of the car. Definitely want to see the new generation Opel cars in India again.

Voted no.

GM withdrew Opel brand due to image issue and introduced Chevrolet brand which enjoyed considerable brand recall even before re-launch.

I don't think much has changed in the meantime for people to embrace again Opel. In India people's opinion regarding brand does not change overnight (ask Fiat).

But I am of the opinion that GM needs another brand for its premium offerings. Chevy is considered a mass brand (due to popularity of Spark & Beat) and may not look cool enough on a >15 Lakh offering. May be Cadillac will serve the purpose.

Voted no.

GM withdrew Opel brand due to image issue and introduced Chevrolet brand which enjoyed considerable brand recall even before re-launch.

I don't think much has changed in the meantime for people to embrace again Opel. In India people's opinion regarding brand does not change overnight (ask Fiat).

But I am of the opinion that GM needs another brand for its premium offerings. Chevy is considered a mass brand (due to popularity of Spark & Beat) and may not look cool enough on a >15 Lakh offering. May be Cadillac will serve the purpose.
Actually buddy Opel will have more advantage over Cadillac in India. Why because:
1. People know about Opel in India. It was a good seller at one time.
2. Cadillac will be an all new brand which many people are not aware of
3. And most importantly Cadillac is going to be very expensive, even in US the lowest model starts with $36000 and that to base version. So keeping the current scenario in mind it will start from around 20L atleast.
whereas Opel Can be priced competitively in the Indian Market.

First picture is ditto I20. [surprise]

I liked the Opel corsa and also the ad of sail with sail having super soft suspensiosn and going over bumpers without any issues to the passengers inside.

Thread Starter #15

350Z

Core Team
Spotted a Corsa Eco with an MH - TC registration, probably testing the vehicle without any camouflage on the KR puram hanging bridge. Couldnt capture it as I was riding. It was a two door red hatch exactly the same in the below link.
Considering it’s a two door hatchback, the chances are fat of GM bringing it to India (If at all they decide to revive the Opel brand).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom