Should Airbags and ABS Be Mandatory?

Should ABS & Airbags Be Made Manadatory in All Cars?

• Total voters
Last edited:
If we ask manufacturers to equip ABS and Airbags as mandatory in low end cars too, then expect that Air bags will never open when required or will open when a kid hits on it !! will be the same case with ABS too !! as they have to keep the price of low end cars very competitive and today's buyers are not ready to spend any kind of extra money on ABS or Airbags, but they are ready for it if they give in the same cost and they are not bothered if they work or not[:)] as everybody know that Indian market or buyer is very price conscious

Jayadev I agree this technology is at a nascent stage and still evolving, however at the present time we do not have any other option but to have these features in hand rather than completely not having them, however I agree people tend to take things for granted and we can see the result of the same in many accidents that happen. I also agree to the point that car makers should make stronger bodies to sustain the strains of high impact and save the lives of the people.

Jayadev I agree this technology is at a nascent stage and still evolving, however at the present time we do not have any other option but to have these features in hand rather than completely not having them, however I agree people tend to take things for granted and we can see the result of the same in many accidents that happen. I also agree to the point that car makers should make stronger bodies to sustain the strains of high impact and save the lives of the people.
Trust me ,Manufacturer has no intentions to save your life but sales and profit. it is for the International Norms and government rules which forced them to add "safety" ,which they do it in such a clever manner that every loophole is taken for granted.
If law was to be enforced then there should be no soft corner, only 5star euro ncap or similar rated car should be sold in India.

@Jayadev That would only happen in dreams, with Govt. not so strict and rules get thrown out of the window and the average life expectancy of a vehicle owner is unknown. We can safely forget 5 start euro ncap or whatever internationally rated cars coming to India at affordable prices is out of question. But I guess we can at least commend FIAT for what they provide maybe? since you are the owner of Punto you can say how this car is with respect to protection forget ABS/Air Bags but overall

My point is slightly tangent than the usual YES OR NO and again members have started bashing our Govt and the aam Junta for not willing to pay additional lac rupees for airbags, etc etc

The point is --> Do we have any reliability factor on the usage / operation of these AIRBAGS that are plonked in our cars by our Indian manufacturers??

The above is a Big question mark IMO

We are really pennywise and poundfoolish nation - we care about the 5 years warranty on an aftermarket window sun film and check for the lowest price and best results, but alas do we have any curiosity when we take our car deliveries to ask about How and Why and When will the AIRBAG get released??

How about warrranties, DEMOs & education arranged at dealership level for this critical piece of safety equipment??

There are so many threads online on so many blogs & forums on the AIRBAG mechanism Failure & that even in case of a major accident, since the critical parameters were not achieved to pre-set AIRBAG sensors - The AIRBAGS did not come out [surprise]

Govt Bashing gives us pleasure in India (and yes it has its fair share with the useless GOVTs we have back in India) but after all its ur Life and it is just not about plonking a lac rupees more on the Ex showroom & being happy -One has to really get educated about this critical and life saving equipment[:)]

@Jayadev That would only happen in dreams, with Govt. not so strict and rules get thrown out of the window and the average life expectancy of a vehicle owner is unknown. We can safely forget 5 start euro ncap or whatever internationally rated cars coming to India at affordable prices is out of question. But I guess we can at least commend FIAT for what they provide maybe? since you are the owner of Punto you can say how this car is with respect to protection forget ABS/Air Bags but overall
I shall never blame the Government,never ever!!

In India we are proud of Democracy but I dont even see a hint of it.
from childhood to the deathbed we have least of freedom.
Neither do I see bureaucracy, they have no part to do as of now

What I see is "Mobocracy", a stinking one! We all have a view but only one which is striking to many and scores majority will be accepted, no matter it is factual or belief.

People wants and anticipates beurocrats and Government to be corrupt and dislodged.
We dont buy what is apparently good for us but we look at others and impose it to next and this goes perpetuating to every part of our life.

We are made to believe life is in gods hand yet we raise the devil protecting ourselves with gadgets and material things;quite contradictory.

This discussion will remain academic as majority of people believes ABS and Airbags are lifesavers where my views will remain speck in the eyes.

It should remain Optional.

These safety equipments should be made mandatory in India,provided the additional cost of this should be seen from

1.The excessive taxes and duties imposed by the Govt
2.The high profit margin the manufactures are enjoying in India.

For me it is utmost necessary especially my 2 tonne Xylo doesnt have ABS or Airbags. Airbags can be skipped but ABS is really a sore miss. Braking is quite scary sometimes because wheels lock and no control.

Tax Rebates on ABS, Airbags, EBD...Suggestions To Finance Minister

Dear Minister
India has the dubious distinction of being a world beater in road deaths-why not some really tax breaks on cars with ABS, Airbags, EBD -for the sake of drivers and EuroNCAP safety ratings to ensure that pedestrians who are hit will suffer less.
Minister ,most countries in the world have made these compulsory,so though you may loose a little revenue i am sure the lives saved will contribute more in tax[;)]!
sincerely

[cry]Mr. tdcarlover, number of voters who use cars is negligible as compared to those who don't use' em.
Tax is not more important than the votes and it's easy to levy and retrieve the taxes from remaining car users, once in power. It's as easy as this.
So keep on loving t d cars, as most of them are top end and equipped with ABS' n airbags.

The car has a luxury tax, this tax comes on ABS and Airbags too.

If the Govt cut the taxes on ABS and Airbags considering it as a life saving safety features then i think the manufactures can afford an Air bag and ABS from their base model too with some contribution from their part on the pricing.

Driving slow doesn't mean that we are safe,there is a chance of one coming on 120kmph sleepy from our opposite side collide with us head on, even if we are on zero speed it will cause us a severe damage.so it is always safe with all the safety features provided.

Accident, the meaning of the word states all the story.

Last edited:

Top Bottom