Should Airbags and ABS Be Mandatory?

Should ABS & Airbags Be Made Manadatory in All Cars?

• Total voters
airbags do not explode in small accidents. on the contrary, they will explode only in major accidents & mostly when its a high speed head on collision.

why will they explode? the reason they are made is for safety itself. but yes, if some sharp object comes in between which can be anything like your wrist watch etc, they may explode.

why will they explode? the reason they are made is for safety itself. but yes, if some sharp object comes in between which can be anything like your wrist watch etc, they may explode.
No raj is mentioning about opening about the airbag.

And as you say they do not explode to wrist watches etc.

A survivor said- it will be so hot(tolerable-better than death![evil]) and it will be pushing like!

Thread Starter #19

350Z

Core Team
Though not by wrist watches but they are balloon like and may burst if get in contact with a sharp object. Also, Another point I'd like to highlight here, it is not completely related to topic but could be useful: Generally, It is recommended to hold the steering using 10 and 2 position but in cars equipped with airbags it is said to hold the steering using 9 and 3 position because if airbag is popped up during an accident, It throws out center cap of steering towards side which may injure the hand of driver.

Drive Safe,
350Z

ABS is definitely mandatory in India. In India we can never tell what is going to happen the next moment.
I have had a heart throbbing experience of hard breaking when a moron on a bike, out of no where, comes from left to the right side of the road and just stops without warning.
The car I was driving was Dzire without ABS and only I know how I controlled the car when it was sliding sideways. That was the day I decided that ABS is not a choice, its mandatory.
Another point is that our roads have so much dust on them, that chances of a vehicle skidding gets higher and higher. And with vehicles getting faster model by model, it calls for more safety that we have now.

@Shynish - I totally agree with you about all the points. Would like to emphasize on Child seats. There is no use if a person wears the seat belt, sits in a car with air bags but holds the child in one's arms. That is actually more dangerous for the kid than the person holding it. Child seats are so much required and helpful. But again, we Indians think everything is investment and should last as long as possible. They think, "A kid will be a kid only for a few years, what to do with the child seat after that?". It is an investment, an investment to safeguard your's child's life. If people start realizing this, that is when they will think of child seats as life savers.
Airbags, you will not need it under normal conditions BUT when it is needed, it is at a time when there is a question of life and death. It is very easy to say that I don't drive on highway so I don't need it. But you will get on highway someday and it is only a matter of a fraction of a second when things can go wrong.
It is not necessay that we are driving recklessly but the guy you hits your car could be.
In developed countries, the roads are of superior quality but the average speed of traffic is usually at or above the limit. Really speaking, the traffic sense is so much better there that it is very easy to anticipate the changes to the road status as we are driving. But if the road conditions are that of slippery like rain, it is really helpful

Thread Starter #23

350Z

Core Team
JammyD said:
Child seats are so much required and helpful. But again, we Indians think everything is investment and should last as long as possible. They think, "A kid will be a kid only for a few years, what to do with the child seat after that?". It is an investment, an investment to safeguard your's child's life.
I was just going through the posts and noticed that you brought out an excellent point here and I’ve heard this statement several times from people around. Many take road safety lightly till something actually happens with them. Apart from Airbags and ABS, Car-makers as well as dealers must insist of child seats if there’s a young one in family. Someone why not take an initiative and create a new topic for Child seats here?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Airbags are considered as secondary safety device, primary is seat belt.

One general query about airbags:
Will airbag explode if a car hits a stationary car which is equipped with airbag?

AMG

Suspended
Re: Should Airbags and ABS Be Made Mandatory?

Totally useless features, both of them.

People can ride a 300km/hr 200 BHP motorcycle without ABS, but need a 50 BHP 120 km/hr car to have ABS. [frustration]

@AMG:
Guy I am sure you don't enjoy the driving seat that much else you would have never expressed those words.
I frequently go on very long and full night drives,as everyone must be knowing that night drives are done at elevated speeds and hence ABS is needed for emergency braking because I never want my car to skid the hell out of her nose in a truck.
About safety features I'd say that its just 9 days back that I met a major accident and I am sure if the Honda City we were travelling did not had ABS then I would have been in god's wrists...:biggrin:

@AMG:
Guy I am sure you don't enjoy the driving seat that much else you would have never expressed those words.
I frequently go on very long and full night drives,as everyone must be knowing that night drives are done at elevated speeds and hence ABS is needed for emergency braking because I never want my car to skid the hell out of her nose in a truck.
About safety features I'd say that its just 9 days back that I met a major accident and I am sure if the Honda City we were travelling did not had ABS then I would have been in god's wrists...:biggrin:
Vipul, Welcome to TAI.
Good to know that you are safe & hope you have recovered from the accident.
Buckle up always.

@Mukeshs:
Thanks for the warm welcome(although it looks misplaced here,it would have looked better in the introduction thread).[cheers]
Actually,as I have already mentioned,safety first rest then.Its not that I am a boring or turtle speed driver,I have done some really insane speeds like 210 in Laura,150 in i10 and 155 in Innova.But still i think this joy must be eclipsed by us ourselves,else if we loose something/someone precious then nothing can fill the void,I know its not to mention here,but its the road accident who snatched my mother from me two years back,if our car(Indigo LX)would have been equipped with ABS and airbags then the story would have been something else.[cry]

Top Bottom