Shifting From 55/60 To 100/90 Watt Headlamp Bulbs

Thread Starter #1
All,

I had asked this question in my ownership thread of i10. Today I visited a shop and enquired about the exact process.

The process looks quite simple except for one thing attaching the relay unit. I am confused on this part as the wireman said he needs to drill a hole to take the wiring harness in and one more drill for attaching the relay unit. When I said NO to drilling he said he can fit on an existing screw. However first drill /cut is necessary on the back cap so the wiring harness can enter behind the bulb area.

Just wanted to know whether its alright to fix one of the existing screw.

They had original hella wiring harness with relay unit and hella 90/100 w bulbs.? any other choices?

Though tempted to go for 90/100, I will wait for some more time based on your responses.

not sure about drilling but i got the same setup done in my car last week. the relay kit helps ensure that the battery is not loaded while using these more bright cum power consuming bulbs.
the whole process just took 10 mins where the relay wiring is just connect to both the headlights and the inturn the relay unit is connected to the battery. also the relay unit is attached in a section safely so that it doesnt move around!

To take the wiring harness , one need to drill in i10 and santro , or for whole hyundai cars.
other have holders behind the cap.
try making smalles one as possible and if you can paste gums like m-seal over them covering the car - diy

ilango[speed thirst];61668 said:
To take the wiring harness , one need to drill in i10 and santro , or for whole hyundai cars.
other have holders behind the cap.
try making smalles one as possible and if you can paste gums like m-seal over them covering the car - diy
Hi Ilango,

This was very informative. I always thought that a relay-harness if done properly needed no cutting of the original harness. If you do happen to have any pix for the 'Hyundai' fix, that would be great.

Cheers [cheers]

Hi Ilango,

This was very informative. I always thought that a relay-harness if done properly needed no cutting of the original harness. If you do happen to have any pix for the 'Hyundai' fix, that would be great.

Cheers [cheers]
i mean the cut should be done in the rear cap of head lamp.
wiring harness will not be cut!

sorry we dont have picture of this works!

I think the cut should be done to accomodate the Ceramic holder. This holder is required to withstand the heat generated by 100/90. The OE holders cannot withstand the heat.

A friend of mine reported water entering into the assembly after he did this change. They did tape the cut area extensively to stop water but water finds its way through minute gaps.

I was almost going to get the 100/90 installed in my i10 but stopped. I'm managing with Philips Xtreme power as of now :(

deville_56

Honoured Member
I think the cut should be done to accomodate the Ceramic holder. This holder is required to withstand the heat generated by 100/90. The OE holders cannot withstand the heat.

A friend of mine reported water entering into the assembly after he did this change. They did tape the cut area extensively to stop water but water finds its way through minute gaps.

I was almost going to get the 100/90 installed in my i10 but stopped. I'm managing with Philips Xtreme power as of now :(

There are wiring kits that requires no cut in OEM wiring, just plug and play. They got fuse, relay, good high-gauge wire, heavy duty sleeve, and ceramic holders. You just need to plug them to OEM holder, fix the relay some where, connect directly to battery terminal [fuse goes right there], and connect to headlight. Simple :D. Full kit cost from 450 -1000 depending on the contents (with/without fuse, relay, ceramic holder; wire quality, etc.)

I have been running with Phillips Essential Vision 100/90 for over 3 years without any issues on stock setup until yesterday, suddenly my left high beam stopped working and I was wondering where to get spare of the same as the dealer stopped stocking Phillips Essential Vision. I thought of adjusting with the old stock 55/60 till I find some Phillips EV 100/90s, but I could not remove the holder and it was melt sticking on to the bulb and the real culprit was a burnt holder and not the bulb. Removed the headlight, then the holder with bulb and managed to take it off the bulb, tried another bulb and confirmed the holder is dead and EV bulb was fine. Removed the molten plastic off the terminal and it was working fine.

Bought ceramic holders. Fixed it. Had to cut wires as I bought only holders and not the entire kit and since car's warranty is over no worries. Now everything back to normal.

[OT:
1. Ceramic holder MRP - 75, selling price 60. Miscommunication between sales guy and cashier => I got two holders for 60 bucks [evil]

2. Removed bumper and headlight for fixing holders and relocated the horn position and was on the way to drop friend's uncle at airport. Night patrolling strict to check stolen cars, terrorist intrusion, smuggling etc etc particularly in the NH and bypass and airport road. Dropped him and returned home and only now I realized I forgot to fix the front number plate [frustration] ]

Last edited by a moderator:
There are wiring kits that requires no cut in OEM wiring, just plug and play. They got fuse, relay, good high-gauge wire, heavy duty sleeve, and ceramic holders. You just need to plug them to OEM holder, fix the relay some where, connect directly to battery terminal [fuse goes right there], and connect to headlight. Simple [:D]. Full kit cost from 450 -1000 depending on the contents (with/without fuse, relay, ceramic holder; wire quality, etc.)
The water proofing ability and the warranty issues were a couple of my worries. Thanks for the clarifications @para_7k & @deville_56. Any particular brands of mention for the relay-kit purchase?

Cheers [thumbsup]

There are wiring kits that requires no cut in OEM wiring, just plug and play. They got fuse, relay, good high-gauge wire, heavy duty sleeve, and ceramic holders. You just need to plug them to OEM holder, fix the relay some where, connect directly to battery terminal [fuse goes right there], and connect to headlight. Simple [:D]. Full kit cost from 450 -1000 depending on the contents (with/without fuse, relay, ceramic holder; wire quality, etc.)

I have been running with Phillips Essential Vision 100/90 for over 3 years without any issues on stock setup until yesterday, suddenly my left high beam stopped working and I was wondering where to get spare of the same as the dealer stopped stocking Phillips Essential Vision. I thought of adjusting with the old stock 55/60 till I find some Phillips EV 100/90s, but I could not remove the holder and it was melt sticking on to the bulb and the real culprit was a burnt holder and not the bulb. Removed the headlight, then the holder with bulb and managed to take it off the bulb, tried another bulb and confirmed the holder is dead and EV bulb was fine. Removed the molten plastic off the terminal and it was working fine.

Bought ceramic holders. Fixed it. Had to cut wires as I bought only holders and not the entire kit and since car's warranty is over no worries. Now everything back to normal.

[OT:
1. Ceramic holder MRP - 75, selling price 60. Miscommunication between sales guy and cashier => I got two holders for 60 bucks [evil]

2. Removed bumper and headlight for fixing holders and relocated the horn position and was on the way to drop friend's uncle at airport. Night patrolling strict to check stolen cars, terrorist intrusion, smuggling etc etc particularly in the NH and bypass and airport road. Dropped him and returned home and only now I realized I forgot to fix the front number plate [frustration] ]
We were discussing about cutting somewhere near the lamp holder and not cutting the wires. :)

You're right about the wiring kit. It's just remove the old and plug the new.

Is your car the Estilo. Your car's HL assembly maybe able to accomodate the Ceramic holder without cutting anywhere but the i10's HL assembly cannot [frustration]

My Friend uses a WagonR type 3 and it took ceramic holders without cutting anywhere.[thumbswink]

@sgirish,

I would recommend the following:

Roots wiring kit + Relay - Price 650-700
Philips Rally H4 100/90 - Price 400 for 2 bulbs
Ceramic Holder - Any brand - 75 to 80 for one holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #10
Para, how is the performance of philips extreme, is it worth than stock headlamps for i10? Do let me know as I am also against cutting of cap to accomodate the wiring harness.

Para, how is the performance of philips extreme, is it worth than stock headlamps for i10? Do let me know as I am also against cutting of cap to accomodate the wiring harness.
Amiti, Philips Xtreme powers have been good for various driving conditions including city and highway.

I'll try to post some pics for you.

Awaiting pictures of light conditions using philips xtreme
Some pics. These are not new and about a year old. I'm just not finding enough time to get you the latest pics. I'll try my best to get them soon.

Street, Low Beam

SL.JPG

Street, High Beam

SH.JPG

Highway, Low Beam

HL.JPG

Highway, High Beam

HH.JPG

Top Bottom