Shifting From 55/60 To 100/90 Watt Headlamp Bulbs

Thread Starter #17
Alok, the cap needs to be cut, so as to get the wiring harness in. These might lead to leakage in future and not to mention dust as well.

Para, thanks for the pictures. Looks better than stock.

Alok, the cap needs to be cut, so as to get the wiring harness in. These might lead to leakage in future and not to mention dust as well.

Para, thanks for the pictures. Looks better than stock.
What kind of leakage?is there any liquid filled in the headlight assembly??About the dust,u can see many cars like m800 and beat do not have any such kind of cap .

What kind of leakage?is there any liquid filled in the headlight assembly??About the dust,u can see many cars like m800 and beat do not have any such kind of cap .
[:D] During rains or when the car is washed, there is a chance of water entering into the assembly when the cap is cut.

Other cars do not have a cap as that is how they are designed.

That means you can never add higher wattage bulbs in the car?Is there any other solution??
You can. Even if the area is cut, generous amount of tape can be added so that water does not enter.

I'm a person who likes to play safe, so I will not go ahead with cutting. It's upto the individual to decide.

Also, higher wattage bulbs produce more heat which will damage the reflectors in the long run, say 3-4 years.

So i guess best option is to go for bulbs producing higher light with less heat like phillips bulbs??
Higher light with less heat ? Not sure what you mean. Whatever bulbs maybe will generate more heat if they are 100/90

Yes, Bulbs like Osram Night breaker and Philips Xtreme power produces more light in 60/55W. They still produce more heat than Original 60/55W (halonix) but not as alarming as 100/90.

Thread Starter #24
Para, you are correct. I am also getting a feeling that I should opt for philips xtreme with similar wattage and more light output.

Doesnt make sense to cut any part of light cover.

Mods, since I am clear now, you can consider closing this thread unless anyone wants to add more.

Thank you all!!

Also, higher wattage bulbs produce more heat which will damage the reflectors in the long run, say 3-4 years.
Best bet is to get a HID kit. Fakes are available for around 3-4k and original needs to be imported and cost up to 25k[evil].

If you are a regular highway cruiser, I strongly recommend the upgrade. The damage to reflector won't be much. They will turn dark a wee bit sooner, that's all. Worth IMO, your life is more important than a reflector.

Thread Starter #26
Ok guys. Did one R&D few days ago(almost DIY, waited for any leaks due to water etc, found nothing) for fitting headlamps without cutting rear cap in i10 with help of one mechanic. I asked him to cut small part of plastic ring ( I repeat cut and not drill a hole through the cap). This has worked. Installed PMP relay and wiring harness. Bulbs Osram 90/100.

Illumination more than 55/60. But marginal increase. Did I do something wrong? Relay was PMP 12 v. But not expected output at night. Should I go for other bulbs? Not happy with the results.

@dhaya -- I broke my promise by going for 90/100 as due to more frequent highway drives it is really difficult with 55/60. But I don't use high beam in any case and keep my beam on middle position using headlamp leveler.

I will try and post few photos for same.

@amiti
90/100 are not legal i suppose. Pls correct me if am wrong.
And they generate a lot of heat which lead to blackening/darkening of the head lamp unit.
It wil get smoked for free[;)]

All,

I had asked this question in my ownership thread of i10. Today I visited a shop and enquired about the exact process.

The process looks quite simple except for one thing attaching the relay unit. I am confused on this part as the wireman said he needs to drill a hole to take the wiring harness in and one more drill for attaching the relay unit. When I said NO to drilling he said he can fit on an existing screw. However first drill /cut is necessary on the back cap so the wiring harness can enter behind the bulb area.

Just wanted to know whether its alright to fix one of the existing screw.

They had original hella wiring harness with relay unit and hella 90/100 w bulbs.? any other choices?

Though tempted to go for 90/100, I will wait for some more time based on your responses.

Hi All,

I am Sriniwas from bangalore and today I had fitted Philips Relay (harness) + Philips Rally Bulb 100/90 for Rs (1300/-) which includes fitting. No wire cut is required in my New Wagon R (maruthi)

thanks
Sriniwas[:)]

Hey guys. Long time no post from me though I was visiting regularly.

A month ago, I upgraded to 100/90 bulbs for my Indica DLS. The previous 55/65 bulbs were adequate on roads with poor/ no lights but on highways even speeds of 60kmph were scary, what with HID and projector equipped cars zooming past. Things have not changed drastically and there is still much more room for improvement in visibility on highways.

I had not fitted a wiring kit for the new bulbs. Just upgraded the fuse to 30amps as Indica has relays under the dashboard and they seemed good enuf to handle the power drain (low cost). Now I plan to have 2 extra H4 reflectors with say my old 55/65 bulbs in it or may be 100/90 ones later to do duties on those special highway journeys. I want to knw if I shud go for a new wiring kit or just upgrade the fuse and relay (lower cost again) for the new configuration. Can anyone help me with a proper wiring diagram so I knw what the mechanic is doing is good for the car? Though I wud like HID kind of light, I am somehow not able to convince myself to buy those as not really sure of certainthings with HIDs. SO regular bulbs for now. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom