Shell Fuel Stations - Are They Any Good?

Thread Starter #31
Re: Shell Fuel Pumps - Are they Any Better?

ok guys chill [glasses]
lets not go OT here. Getting off the bike is probably a safety measure and a policy for shell. Its all for our own safety. So lets not get too worked up about it. Am sure getting off the bike for a couple of minutes to fill fuel is not very demanding.
Now coming to the fuel experience, i have driven 150km after putting shell petrol and my zen is definitely feeling smooth! am very sure i am not imagining things but yes it has become smooth and revs better.
Will i pay 2 bucks extra for that.. HELL YES[:D]

We don't have any Shell pumps in Goa so I can't comment. I used Shell fuel when I was studying in UK. Just knowing I was using the same fuel (same brand not same grade) as a Ferrari F1 car gave me a lot of pleasure. Ultimately all fuel sold in India is the same. All fuel (crude oil) is imported by IOC, refined and then supplied to various companies (only Reliance and Essar have their own refineries). The quality of the fuel is mostly determined by how much the tanker and the pump adulterate it.

OMG[surprise]! Seems like I ignited this thread. I asked this question only out of curiosity as I didnt get an answer from the bunk guys(could be lack of training). Anyways, I have got a lot more answers than expected and a good feedback on Shell. let me give a try for a month...[clap]

Well as far as discussions remain technical and informative by any way that's fine. Whatever I posted was based on my own experience with shell.
I urge all of us to read and understand what the other person wants to say, before quoting and commenting to avoid unnecessary discussion. We will try to keep the thread clean and informative as best possible.

So lets end this discussion with a good note and continue with the crux of the thread- Is the Shell fuel any better?

Peter no offences bro [thumbsup] , I am going to meet you in Goa soon, we will do a party! [cheers] I have local friends there at Mala in Panjim.

Well as far as discussions remain technical and informative by any way that's fine. Whatever I posted was based on my own experience with shell.
Shell pumps have got good reviews even in other forums. However they are limited to major cities and now some of them have shut down. Reliance pumps were also good initially but I have heard most are now shut. I have managed to single out a few PSU pumps which sell good quality petrol and I always fill there unless there is some emergency. Almost every part of India has a IndianOil, Hindustan Petroleum or Bharat Petroleum pump. Earlier there was also IBP but this has been merged with Indian Oil. Other than that I have seen Shell, Reliance, Essar and MRL.

I urge all of us to read and understand what the other person wants to say, before quoting and commenting to avoid unnecessary discussion. We will try to keep the thread clean and informative as best possible.
That's always the aim. However some misunderstanding is always there. As long as a clarification or Justification is posted within reasonable time, it should not be a problem. After all we are all here to help each other.

So lets end this discussion with a good note and continue with the crux of the thread- Is the Shell fuel any better?
As I have said, I don't think any brand of fuel is better or worse as the source is the Govt. refinery. It is the transportation and pumps who determine how good the fuel you get is.

Peter no offences bro [thumbsup] ,
None taken.

I am going to meet you in Goa soon, we will do a party! [cheers] I have local friends there at Mala in Panjim.
You are most welcome anytime. You know how to get in touch with me.

Ok now guys, Is the Shell fuel any better? Let there be few experience stories spilled over. Need to fill my drive soon - Could save Rs. 200 in filling the tank!!!

Thread Starter #38

@truecitylover.. try and fill in Shell. See if u feel any difference. Dont think bout 200 bucks. Ur gonna spend a few grand for filling up ur tank! So 200 aint that big a deal.

Don't worry. Scroll up and read my post on the basics of Fire Fighting[:D]

Very correct. Looks like you missed my explanation above.
Yes i missed that post prior to reply.

Off late there has been encouraging move from IOC ,where there is option of self filling , where attendant enters the amount, and the owner himself can fill the vehicle.

But i am thinking how many car owners would agree, thinking of their prestige.
Unlike automotive enthusiasts like us.

Thread Starter #40

In Western countries like USA, there is a minimum wage law, i guess its 20$ per hour or something. So paying gas station attendents aint feasible! India has relatively cheap labour. So self serviced pumps will come up but may tak quite some time! It was a welcome move to have lady attendants at fuel pumps a few yrs back. Similarly self-serviced pumps must be next on the agenda. Atleast they should try it on an experimental basis in metros first!
No one should take it as a prestige issue or something similar! THINK OF IT AS A DIY ON A DAILY BASIS

I think in Delhi one petrol pump has started where you have to get down and fill petrol yourself. I also like this as there are less chances of getting fooled, unless the meter is tampered.

Prestige issue for what? DIY on daily basis?? I didn't get this.

I think in Delhi one petrol pump has started where you have to get down and fill petrol yourself. I also like this as there are less chances of getting fooled, unless the meter is tampered.

Prestige issue for what? DIY on daily basis?? I didn't get this.
There are some of the owners , who i have seen sitting in the car and speak, as if they are ordering the guys.
They don't even bother to get down and see the meter.
Instead speak on phone...

Re: Shell Fuel Pumps - Are they Any Good?

For the last 3 fills on my Alto, I've been using shell Super unleaded. First fill in Porur Bunk and Next two fills in Ambattur bunk in chennai. Today's price as of AUG 15th 2014 is 81.40 (Shell super unleaded). Mileage hovering around 12-13 n city. But they say the mileage improves as you stick on to it. I'm expecting around 14-15kmpl in city considering mine is a 7 year old car with upsized tyres( 155/70/R12), Removed the catalytic converter and have a custom made local muffler at the end which is like a free flow exhaust. And i don't drive sanely and floor the pedal often. In short, I don't drive the alto in the way it's meant to be. Anyway will keep this thread updated.

Shell petrol pumps are user friendly and petrol is pure. Added to it is free air. So you are satisfied as a customer and need not worry about cheating. Only buy normal petrol from shell as super is expensive and not effective.

Shell petrol pumps are user friendly and petrol is pure. Added to it is free air. So you are satisfied as a customer and need not worry about cheating. Only buy normal petrol from shell as super is expensive and not effective.
:agree:

I am using Shell regular petrol for my Alto K10 for last 15+months and happy with it. Have started using Shell diesel for Sunny from last 3 months.

The guys at pump are professional and polite and so far never smelled anything fishy. About quality of fuel, I get slightly better mileage between 0.5 to 0.8 kmpl more with smoother engine.

Top Bottom