Shell Fuel Stations - Are They Any Good?

Re: Shell Fuel Pumps - Are they Any Better?

I doubt if they ask to put your bike on main stand? I have activa which I refill at Shell only but don't put it n main stand

I doubt if they ask to put your bike on main stand? I have activa which I refill at Shell only but don't put it n main stand
I was asked to put the bike on center stand, at two of the Shell stations in pUne one at Near Pirangut and other one at Warje. It may not be the case for scooters, since you need to open the seat anyway.

Shell petrol in Bangalore is 74.80 odd its around the same in other pumps,makes sense to fill up at shell as there measurements & quality are strict,I know this cos I have seen shell on BIA road having quality & quantity checks in the middle of the night when I had stopped over there.
You can check out posts including my experiences under cheating in this forum

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-news/3401-cheating-short-fuelling-tricks-petrol-pumps.html

IMO that Shell sells pure petrol and there is no chances of error in meter reading. You must have seen the way they treat there customer. Also when there meter says that you have got X litres of petrol beleive me its the same. At some bunks when they says X ltrs of petrol means you actually get x- few % in tank. You can now check the mileage of your car after filling the ppetrol from gas station & should conculde that this extra 2 Rs are more profitable. Since almost a year I am using only Shell petrol in my Santro & can see the improvement
yeah they treat you well at shell.. and they give a printed receipt which is generated from the dispensing unit itself and give it to you irrespective of whether you ask for it or not. i found it quite transparent. if the fuel quality is good ll b more than happy to 'shell' out those 2 extra bucks :-!
btw do you know wher else r thes shell pumps located? i guess they arent inside pune city limits.
The meters in the Shell pumps can be tampered too. There are IOC, HP & BP pumps too which give you an accurate quantity. I always pay by card so I also get a receipt.

In Bangalore, shell bunks dont allow us to sit on our bikes when the petrol is being filled(reason unknown - seems like more of a superstition) which I hate the most!![frustration]. Is it the same else where?
It is not the superstition, it is part of the shell's safety policy. To avoid fire/ accidents. It also avoids the running away without paying after fueling.[lol]
How does sitting on the bike cause a fire. Even smoking when the petrol is being filled won't cause a fire. In fact you can throw the lit cigarette into your tank and there won't be a fire. Try it and if your bike burns I'll buy you 2 new bikes. Only make sure you light the cigarette before reaching the pump and before you open the tank.

I had tried shell petrol many times but didn't noticed any difference!

How does sitting on the bike cause a fire. Even smoking when the petrol is being filled won't cause a fire. In fact you can throw the lit cigarette into your tank and there won't be a fire. Try it and if your bike burns I'll buy you 2 new bikes. Only make sure you light the cigarette before reaching the pump and before you open the tank.
BTW, where did I say that sitting on bike causes fire? I said they ask you to switch off the bike (read in Bold) and get down. (there may be leakages of current through spark plug wiring. Which may lead to spark) I said this a safety policy. You can try out yourselves with lit cigarette or anything. Don;t try to mislead, promote this kind of wrong practices, facts. Why they don't allow cellphone on fuel station? If the lit cigarette can not do any harm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drivetech,

What I understood from Peter's post is that fire needs oxygen to proceed further. If you throw lit cigarette in petrol tank it will not catch fire. Because it will take a dip and oxygen connection would break. A dip would be a normal liquid dip be it water or fuel.

Correct me Peter !

Re: Shell Petrol - Is it Any Better?

BTW what is the rate of diesel at Shell?
Drivetech4: We can never even think of Shell Diesel... Normal diesel there is 55 Bucks... [frustration]

With the increased Petrol price, Shell makes more sense for petrol buyers though. Shell & Others just have a very marginal difference now. Spending 1 or 2 bucks extra per litre MAY give them a better & accurate fuel.

Re: Shell Petrol - Is it Any Better?

yeah imagine sitting on a bike while fuelling up and there is a fire! ur further generations are an extinct species!!:lol!:
Man, could not stop laughing to that[clap] Great wit there.

Coming back to topic. It is only logical to fill Petrol from Shell bunks as diesel is much more expensive. But I have a friend who is using Shell petrol for last 2 years (works in HJW), and he has mentioned that there has been a slight change in avg consumption and engine smoothness. Though it could be just his thoughts coming out due to hallucination after working his a&*& off !!

but even I have noticed the smoothness & slight increa in FE sicne I have started using the shell.

I was asked to put the bike on center stand, at two of the Shell stations in pUne one at Near Pirangut and other one at Warje. It may not be the case for scooters, since you need to open the seat anyway.
I see members saying superstition ,fire,robbery etc

but the real reason this is done is cos

when the attendant pulls out the nozzle from the bikes tank when fuel is running

or by chase trapped fuel flows out when nozzle is removed it falls on the tank ,

or fail safe mechanism does not work & tank over flows when brimming,

in all these cases fuel can flow towards the riders crotch & also towards exposed hot engine on the bike.

I hope you guys will follow this for your own safety

Last edited:

I have seen a slightly smooth engine, nothing else. yes I do get a feel good factor, as their pumps are good and maybe I have a feeling that their pumps are not tampered.

BTW, where did I say that sitting on bike causes fire?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The intention was not to make any allegations against you.

Don;t try to mislead, promote this kind of wrong practices, facts. Why they don't allow cellphone on fuel station? If the lit cigarette can not do any harm.
I'm not misleading. I was just giving an example. What I meant was it is the spark while lighting the cigarette is what causes the fire and not the lit cigarette itself. So playing with the lighter is more dangerous than smoking. I don't mean to tell people to smoke at the pumps. The cellphone is not permitted because the fumes can enter the phone and the electronics can cause it to ignite. For this reason on petroleum tankers we are not allowed to use mobile phones and camera's on deck. All equipment (electrical/electronic) has to be certified as "Intrincically safe".

Drivetech,

What I understood from Peter's post is that fire needs oxygen to proceed further. If you throw lit cigarette in petrol tank it will not catch fire. Because it will take a dip and oxygen connection would break. A dip would be a normal liquid dip be it water or fuel.

Correct me Peter !
Correct. The fire triangle consists of the fuel, source of ignition and oxygen. The basics of fire fighting / fire prevention is to isolate any one side of the triangle. Another point to note is the concentration of hydrocarbons. For combustion to occur, the air:hydrocarbon ratio has to be within a particular range (known as the Flamable Range). If the concentration of hydrocarbons is too low the mixture is too lean and if too much it is over rich. In both cases combustion will not occur. In the fuel tank the atmosphere is over rich.
BTW do not try it out unless you know what you are doing.
I hope I have clarified.

Thats asking for disaster to happen.

Guys don't try this please.

Top Bottom