Setting Up Automobile Workshop: Need Guidance

Octy_Vin & Figoian:

Thanks a lot[:)], here is something you might be interested in.

Autosnap IN805 OBD reader for Indian cars

If the above link does not open then please search this text in google and click the first search result, which leads to a thread on ***bhp.com, it has in detail review of the OBD tool. There are also bluetooth connectors available which fit into any OBDII port and will relay information to your Android mobile which has a app downloaded.

Varun is using one such OBD tool (blue coloured connector). Although most of these OBD scanners are foreign make, I believe they can be ordered via credit card or debit card. Few more links below

AutoTap OBD scanner
AutoTap Express DIY - OBDII Scanner - connects to Laptop and has the option to clear false error codes.

Since I have not used any of these, I suggest TAI members who have used them to share their experience. Also there are too many bluetooth OBD scanners on Ebay which wont work at all. So try to get the item on COD instead of upfront payment. I lost about 500/- on a similar item on ebay by the seller "Lotmany"

Few useful pics:
Since you are planning to do servicing of cars, which required oil change, coolant draining etc this kind of small & portable ramp will help you save time and makes the job easy for employees too. Pic from Varun's 800 thread.

The easy Ramp, this can save time when you are doing any underbody work that does not require you to remove the wheels like changing exhaust pipe/mufflers, removing/cleaning fuel tank, brake oil bleeding, underbody coating etc.

Basic Ratchet kit - 1800 - 2000/-

ss80 said:
My story of a lost opprtunity
12. Last month I got an offer, ZERO INVESTMENT 100% returns, monthly income of 40,000/- guaranteed. I know the chairman of an apartment owners association nearby my home, the apartment has nearly 200+ flats, each flat costs over 75lakhs easily, there are roughly 215 cars (50% are hatchbacks).
Hi, So sad to know that you have missed this business. But I guess you took a right decision.

Vinodh ,

Congrats.. I can feel the heat building up turning dreams to reality.

ALL THE BEST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the PM , else i would have missed this thread.

First learn from My mistakes.. the main reasons why i closed my business.
1. add business with passion, If you have no business mind when speaking to customer & worker you are gonna get 0 income.
2. Plan , plan , plan and plan 10000 times before you start.
3. Place is one of the main point in this business. Rents are high and no modifications to be made to place. Electricity if you plan painting and water wash.

Other points.

1. A very good mechanic head . The helper can be changed in course of time based on their performace. But a very good , trusty mechanic is needed.
2. Do not invest in every other tools that you see. I made a biggest mistake as we are fascinated on seeing a tool.
3. First start with a pit or a lift 2nd hand lift to raise the car. then develope . ( remember earn and then invest - MY BIGGEST LESSON ) of course it depends . If vehicle are flowing in too much , you can invest in couple of months.

4. Since in chennai , getting a good spare is not a big deal , these things get regularized once you start.
5. Adding a water wash definitely add income. Do not invest in lifts for water service. Try building a ramp , even with a local gate maker with good steels.

6. Body shop highly depend on quality of painter and tinker. Tinker and painter may be available in plenty , the best is always costly!!! A worst painting will ruin your reputation. Hence strike a deal with any other painting place and send the customer directly to them. You will get your share. Of course very minimum but piece of mind.

7. Speak the truth & always try for timely delivery. Most of car owners are illogical .. handle them with smile. remember only 3% are in forums like this.

8. DO NOT EVERY TOUCH A T- BOARD CARS.... Just choo them away.
9. Infrastructure is based on place and how much you plan to invest etc.

ilango[speed thirst];344475 said:
Thanks for the PM
Ilango, just out of curiosity, what's wrong with servicing Yellow board cars? I mean, I dont understand the reason.

T - board , run by local/cab/travels want 2nd hand parts or cheap spares. They want to purchase spares by themself so that they imagine they buy it cheap. Ok , but they insist all our mechanics to accompany them at their convenient hours. We cannot loose precious time on these useless cabbies. At the end they buy duplicates!!

On top of that , they expect them to work like new spare. Does that end there? they bargain on bill ( ready heavily) , get credit and then we have to run behind them for our payment dues.

Almost all your profit on that car is lost in running to their home/ office etc.
During this coarse they simply lie that the car is not behaving good after the service , check this that etc to avoid bills. LIARS..

Of course , there are good travels , who are prompt with servicing their car and also with the payment.

This thread is about the business and so any business , the bill/payment are more important

Last edited:
Hello All,
I daily see this thread for all the valuable inputs. I am too planning for a garage, but due to money and space problems can't start the work. I was planning to start on small scale with one mechanic and one helper. These days I am installing accessories at customers place and promoting the products via OLX and quikr.
While surfing the internet I found these ads
Workshop On Wheels | Carnation - Multibrand Auto Solutions
Unique Auto Care India Private Limited, uniqueautocares.com, unique auto cares,
Starting Rs.299 for Doorstep Car Care Services by IAD Services Pvt. Ltd. | CRAZEAL.com

Will a mobile garage providing servicing like oil change, repairs, detailing and cleaning be successful ?
A Question to all TAIians : Will you prefer your car to be serviced at home ?? Or will take it to the garage

Hello All,
I daily see this thread for all the valuable inputs. I am too planning for a garage, but due to money and space problems can't start the work. I was planning to start on small scale with one mechanic and one helper. These days I am installing accessories at customers place and promoting the products via OLX and quikr.
Starting Rs.299 for Doorstep Car Care Services by IAD Services Pvt. Ltd. | CRAZEAL.com

Will a mobile garage providing servicing like oil change, repairs, detailing and cleaning be successful ?
A Question to all TAIians : Will you prefer your car to be serviced at home ?? Or will take it to the garage
This is a very good idea and these services are available already in most of the cities. Only thing you got to ensure that you are equipped properly and have proper mechanics exposed to all car brands. I feel most of the customers will prefer this service because getting the job done at the door step, where they can save their time. At your end you can save on rent, electricity etc, which will be much more than your fuel cost to reach the customer.

If water service is done, you have to find the source for water/power etc. and some times you may have to face objections from neighbors too. Another issue is attending many cases at a time if the service is urgent, like breakdown etc.

Overall it is a very good concept, and more cost-effective as well. A feasibility study is recommended before you venture into it.

Thread Starter #40
[:D]
Octy_Vin & Figoian:

Thanks a lot[:)], here is something you might be interested in.

Autosnap IN805 OBD reader for Indian cars

If the above link does not open then please search this text in google and click the first search result, which leads to a thread on ***bhp.com, it has in detail review of the OBD tool. There are also bluetooth connectors available which fit into any OBDII port and will relay information to your Android mobile which has a app downloaded.

Varun is using one such OBD tool (blue coloured connector). Although most of these OBD scanners are foreign make, I believe they can be ordered via credit card or debit card. Few more links below

AutoTap OBD scanner
AutoTap Express DIY - OBDII Scanner - connects to Laptop and has the option to clear false error codes.

Since I have not used any of these, I suggest TAI members who have used them to share their experience. Also there are too many bluetooth OBD scanners on Ebay which wont work at all. So try to get the item on COD instead of upfront payment. I lost about 500/- on a similar item on ebay by the seller "Lotmany"
Thanks for the information. I am also looking at some other good options which are available in US. I can get it if i found one.

The easy Ramp, this can save time when you are doing any underbody work that does not require you to remove the wheels like changing exhaust pipe/mufflers, removing/cleaning fuel tank, brake oil bleeding, underbody coating etc.
ss80, that's good idea. Easy for carrying also.

Vinodh ,
Congrats.. I can feel the heat building up turning dreams to reality.................
ALL THE BEST........
Yes Vinodh. You are going to be my financier [:D]

Thread Starter #41
ilango[speed thirst];344475 said:
Thanks for the PM , else i would have missed this thread.

First learn from My mistakes.. the main reasons why i closed my business.
1. add business with passion, If you have no business mind when speaking to customer & worker you are gonna get 0 income.
2. Plan , plan , plan and plan 10000 times before you start.
3. Place is one of the main point in this business. Rents are high and no modifications to be made to place. Electricity if you plan painting and water wash.

Other points.

1. A very good mechanic head . The helper can be changed in course of time based on their performace. But a very good , trusty mechanic is needed.
2. Do not invest in every other tools that you see. I made a biggest mistake as we are fascinated on seeing a tool.
3. First start with a pit or a lift 2nd hand lift to raise the car. then develope . ( remember earn and then invest - MY BIGGEST LESSON ) of course it depends . If vehicle are flowing in too much , you can invest in couple of months.

4. Since in chennai , getting a good spare is not a big deal , these things get regularized once you start.
5. Adding a water wash definitely add income. Do not invest in lifts for water service. Try building a ramp , even with a local gate maker with good steels.

6. Body shop highly depend on quality of painter and tinker. Tinker and painter may be available in plenty , the best is always costly!!! A worst painting will ruin your reputation. Hence strike a deal with any other painting place and send the customer directly to them. You will get your share. Of course very minimum but piece of mind.

7. Speak the truth & always try for timely delivery. Most of car owners are illogical .. handle them with smile. remember only 3% are in forums like this.

9. Infrastructure is based on place and how much you plan to invest etc.
Ilango, Thanks for the very very important informations.
Atlast i got you. Back to India?
First learn from My mistakes.. That's true man. Everyone is not supposed to do same mistakes again and again.
I have finalized my decision after lot of thinking/planning. Only thing is when & where? Initially i was planning to start in 1 or 2 years. This time frame may increase due to many constraints.
Renting / Leasing out of garage space and selecting a location are very main things to be sorted out.
Apart from having a good mechanic, i am also planning to have some practical knowledge in some garage by working during weekend or something. Any ideas/suggestions pls...
BTW, What is the cost per unit of power for garages / commercial purposes?
Ilango, can you PM your number.

Hello All,

Shantanu, Thanks for the links. Regarding Door step service, infact that's a good idea man. In this way, we can get some new customers also who are not able to take their car to a garage. If you ask me, i will prefer door step service for sure. BTW, which accessories you are talking about..

Last edited:
The accessories which I am talking about are Central Locking Systems, Horns, Fog Lamps, Head Lamp Upgrades, Music Systems, etc. Door step accessories sale does not fetch much profit as the customers mostly go to shops to see variety and choose any one.

Looking forward to setup my own car garage.

Hi everyone,
I'm looking forward to setting up my own car garage in Nagpur. I'm doing an extensive research in the market for this as this is new for me. Please advice me regarding the car garage and everything. Also, the investment required as it is going to be a small car garage as of now.
Please help me with:
-Garage requirements
-Registration & License
-Investment
-Man power.

Dear All,

Greeting...
i wanted your help with enhancing my passion.
I have a plan to start up an automobile garage in my town, but since i am not from this field i need to know the estimated cost of setting up one.
Please help me to know how much is the minimum that i need to invest, what all do i need to buy as mandate.

i might have have some more questions once i get the budget.

always grateful for your advise and support
Deepak

I am going to open a multibrand workshop in Kolkata but very much confused about how to manage the spare parts & basic service parts like (air filter, oil filter, AC Filter etc). How can i store for so many cars. Please suggest me How to manage & get the car ready fast to satisfy customer?

Top Bottom