Setting Up Automobile Workshop: Need Guidance

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am planning to start my own garage in near future, may be in another 1 year (or 1.5 years). Though i have done some analysis and ground work, i still need valuable suggestions / ideas from all of you. Your ideas may be related to anything from tools, equipments to garage plan etc, etc.. Each and every suggestion from you guys is important to me.

Re: Planning to start my own garage

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to start my own garage in near future, may be in another 1 year (or 1.5 years). Though i have done some analysis and ground work, i still need valuable suggestions / ideas from all of you. Your ideas may be related to anything from tools, equipments to garage plan etc, etc.. Each and every suggestion from you guys is important to me.
One of the best person to advise you is "SS80". Check with him, he is doing good DIY car repairs and overhauls.

Great Start Vinod[clap]

As like you said, you planted a seed today at TAI. For sure you will get success in the business:)

BTW, check with Illango, who owned a garage previously [:)]

Thread Starter #5
Thanks for your response Anshuman8. I am expecting some suggestions from you also like what do you expect from a garage / how do you want a garage to be.

I am planning to start with very basic, but with all necessary things due to budget constraints and to expand slowly.

Great Start Vinod[clap]

As like you said, you planted a seed today at TAI. For sure you will get success in the business:)

BTW, check with Illango, who owned a garage previously [:)]
Thanks Appu. I checked with Gokul during TAI meet, Ilango is not in India now. I will check with him once he comes back. Even i am planning for a short trip to Pondy to meet him personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few points from my end:

1. Ramp is needed to check underbody of the car.
2. If you are planning to do water service, you need a proper water resource.
3. Experienced mechanics needed to work on all types of cars.
4 . Basic tools needed.
5. Waiting room for Customers.
6. car Jacks

Still lot more are there. I just added very few basic things.

Thread Starter #7
Hi octy_vin,
What sort of a budget you have?
Regards,
Aneesh.
Aneesh, I don't have anything in mind right now (even in my account also[;)].
First i am thinking to get a list of (very very)necessary things and then plan for the finance accordingly.

be punctual, sincere, genuine, honest and customer friendly
Be attentive to customers and if possible sport a pleasant face
Continue to learn things, enhance your skill and gain in confidence / Develop a never ending quest for knowledge
And above all believe in God...
Success will follow

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
be punctual, sincere, genuine, honest and customer friendly
Be attentive to customers and if possible sport a pleasant face
Continue to learn things, enhance your skill and gain in confidence / Develop a never ending quest for knowledge
And above all believe in God...
Success will follow
Thanks Autoenthusiast. I am not going to do it as business but as a passion. I beleive i can do it in the same way [:)]

Thanks Autoenthusiast. I am not going to do it as business but as a passion. I beleive i can do it in the same way [:)]
Its a very good idea to start a WS. But certain things you should keep it in mind.

The location: A proper approach should be there with enough space for the cars to park. It will be ideal if it is near a good residential area where the number of vehicles will be more.

Skilled workers: Are you from an automobile field? If not, you need skilled workers at least until you learn things. You may get helpers easily, but getting skilled workers are little difficult, because they will be of their own once they learn things. Else you may have to offer a handsome salary.

Equipments: Garage should be equipped properly to handle all the new generation vehicles. According to your budget you can plan it, whether you need body shop, paint shop, water service etc etc.

One important aspect in this business is customer satisfaction, prompt delivery etc. It these two things are followed, then the business can be flourished with advertisement with word of mouth.

One suggestion, if you are not from an automobile background, it is advisable to get yourself trained from somewhere to some extent before you start. So that you won't be at the mercy of the workers and get yourself swallowed by them.

All the best [cheers]. BTW where do you reside in Chennai?

Last edited:
Hi Octy_Vin,

Happy to know that you want to start a workshop. May be the below points can give you a rough idea of what you need and what you wont.

1. Type of workshop:
Every workshop has its strength/ USP, so decide if you want to focus on bodyshop only or mechanicals only. In bodyshop margins are big and maintaining quality will be a challenge. In mechanical side, margin/labour is less but quality of work can be easily maintained by being honest in talk, use only genuine spares and strict supervision of workers.

In most painting jobs, less than 50% of the overall bill is the material cost, however if your finishing is not good, customer might not pay the whole bill quoted. For mechanicals, roughly 20% is the labour charge, for example: to fit a 1000rupees door pads on M800, minimum labour charge is 200. The same applies to everything else you do. Without this charge, its not feasible to run a garage. There are some people who charge more than that as well.

Bodyshops may or may not run well, but mechanical works are sure to fetch good amount of money as business is more regular and although less, income is guaranteed.

Garage:
Assuming you will employ 4workers (to start with) mainly on mechanicals (regular service, clutch change, etc etc). You should have a garage space that can accomodate 3 full size sedans like Honda City/ Accent (inside compound). Apart from this, you should also have space in front of garage to park about 2 - 3 cars. So that, you can park ready-to-deliver cars outside. This is also a great tool in attracting new customers, cars without bonnets, half painted etc are the actual banners you are putting up.

Tools required for garage
1. Hydraulic Jack - 2.5tonnes with a thick pipe to operate them - 1No - NO IDEA
2. Height adjustable horse shoe - the triangle thing that tyre changing shops use - 8nos - 6000/- (max)
3. Rachet kits - 3Nos- with nuts starting from 6size to 32size - 6000/- (max)
4. Torque wrench (a must for all engine works) - 2000/- - 1Nos
5. Ring spanner set 6 - 32size - 2 sets - 2500/- (Chrome Vanadium metal)
6. Open Spanner set (6 - 32 size) - 1000/- - 2 sets
7. + and - Screw drivers - 10Numbers (very lengthy 4nos, very short 2nos, interchangeble type 2nos) – 800/-
8. Metal handle hammers – 3Nos – Big, very big and small – 1200/-
9. Cutting and nose plyers – 4nos – 450/-
10. Old steering rods/ similar solid iron rods – 2Nos – 1000/-
11. Welding tools – 7000/-
And many more will be required

Bodyshop:
If you also plan to do painting side by side, then this is what you need.
1. A fixed 3HP compressor (motor with belt driven) – 5000/-
2. A separate 200litre (or more) gas tank – no idea about price, this tank can also support the single shaft lift used in some water washing centers, can even lift a matador.
3. If you don’t want a lift then, simply spend 12000/- to get a 2.5HP, motor driven compressor (not chinese) with a 60litres tank capacity.
4. Most tools can be powered using compressed air – scrubber, polisher, spray gun etc
5. Guns – professional HVLP (High volume low pressure) guns imported from USA cost about 3500/-, local ones cost about 450/-
6. Underbody coating gun (pitch gun) – 250/-
7. Flexible Pipes from gun to compressor - 700/-
8. A simple, dust free paint booth – 10,000/- (basic structure in 1inch square pipes and plastic transparent sheets to cover entire thing, 4 tube lights, 2 fans)
9. A separate stand to paint mirrors, wheel caps etc (not everything should be painted in the booth).
10. You can outsource tinker jobs as it is very noisy, you need enough sunlight throughout garage to keep the Electricity bills at tap and also painter needs sunlight to work on.

Water wash:

1. Motor driven water pump/compressor – 1inch hose connector – 11,000/-
2. L angle, C angle, I angle nozzles – to clean underbody etc without the guy bending much and no need of any lifts.
3. Micro fiber cloth in bulk
4. 5 gallon imported shampoos – for exteriors
5. 5 gallon imported seat fabric shampoo – for interiors and roof
6. Wet and Dry Vaccum pump – 15,000/-
7. You can use paint booth type set up for waxing purpose as well ( don’t switch on fans, use only lights)
8. Dont be surprise if you find 100kilos fine mud opposite to your garage within a month of starting the water wash. So a bigger storm water drain is an added advantage if you have one close to your garage.

Liquids on stock:
1. Engine Oil: 100 or 200litres barrel or stick to 5ltrs cans
2. Gear Oil: 10litres can
3. Cotton waste - 20kilos
4. Shampoos and polishes
5. Black and white grease - stick to MGP or similar brand
6. Diesel - 5litres
7. Thinner - NC and PU - 5litres each
8. Brake Oil - 2litres
9. Huge cans to store and sell the used engine oil recovered from the cars
10. Burn the old dirty air filters once in 5months and put the metal parts to scrap guy.
11. Always remember - No tool comes in or goes out of garage, otherwise everymonth you would end up shopping tools alone..

Will check with a few people and give you more figures soon :)

I also spoke to my Tinker person and this is the set up he has.

2helpers, 2tinkers - for all body works. One of the tinkers also does painting. He has space but no paint booth, still manages some how. He also takes care of minor accident cars - full repair. So he has a mechanic who takes care of all parts procuring and mechanical works on cars.

Except the mechanic everybody else is employed, the mechanic uses the tinkers premises and works on cars, he charges seperately for his work. The mechanic pays a minimum of 4000/- and max of 7500/- per month as a fee to this tinker. So whether the mechanic gets business of not, electricity bill, food, fuel for two wheeler etc are saved for the tinker.

Thread Starter #13
Its a very good idea to start a WS. But certain things you should keep it in mind.

The location: A proper approach should be there with enough space for the cars to park. It will be ideal if it is near a good residential area where the number of vehicles will be more.

Skilled workers: Are you from an automobile field? If not, you need skilled workers at least until you learn things. You may get helpers easily, but getting skilled workers are little difficult, because they will be of their own once they learn things. Else you may have to offer a handsome salary.

Equipments: Garage should be equipped properly to handle all the new generation vehicles. According to your budget you can plan it, whether you need body shop, paint shop, water service etc etc.

One important aspect in this business is customer satisfaction, prompt delivery etc. It these two things are followed, then the business can be flourished with advertisement with word of mouth.

One suggestion, if you are not from an automobile background, it is advisable to get yourself trained from somewhere to some extent before you start. So that you won't be at the mercy of the workers and get yourself swallowed by them.

All the best [cheers]. BTW where do you reside in Chennai?
Thanks for your response Ram sir.[:)] And Apologies for the late response. I was bit busy with my official things
I am basically in Automotive domain only. I had been involved in software development for different clusters for ford(mondeo for china etc) and multi function displays (used in new fiesta and Ecosport). But not much in mechanical side. So i am planning to get some practical experience in some local garage once i quit my current job for bit of hands on experience.
I am currently near Madipakkam, Chennai. But i have decided to start this in salem due to space availability.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Hi Octy_Vin,

Happy to know that you want to start a workshop. May be the below points can give you a rough idea of what you need and what you wont.

1. Type of workshop:
Every workshop has its strength/ USP, so decide if you want to focus on bodyshop only or mechanicals only. In bodyshop margins are big and maintaining quality will be a challenge. In mechanical side, margin/labour is less but quality of work can be easily maintained by being honest in talk, use only genuine spares and strict supervision of workers.

In most painting jobs, less than 50% of the overall bill is the material cost, however if your finishing is not good, customer might not pay the whole bill quoted. For mechanicals, roughly 20% is the labour charge, for example: to fit a 1000rupees door pads on M800, minimum labour charge is 200. The same applies to everything else you do. Without this charge, its not feasible to run a garage. There are some people who charge more than that as well.

Bodyshops may or may not run well, but mechanical works are sure to fetch good amount of money as business is more regular and although less, income is guaranteed.

Garage:
Assuming you will employ 4workers (to start with) mainly on mechanicals (regular service, clutch change, etc etc). You should have a garage space that can accomodate 3 full size sedans like Honda City/ Accent (inside compound). Apart from this, you should also have space in front of garage to park about 2 - 3 cars. So that, you can park ready-to-deliver cars outside. This is also a great tool in attracting new customers, cars without bonnets, half painted etc are the actual banners you are putting up.

Tools required for garage
1. Hydraulic Jack - 2.5tonnes with a thick pipe to operate them - 1No - NO IDEA
2. Height adjustable horse shoe - the triangle thing that tyre changing shops use - 8nos - 6000/- (max)
3. Rachet kits - 3Nos- with nuts starting from 6size to 32size - 6000/- (max)
4. Torque wrench (a must for all engine works) - 2000/- - 1Nos
5. Ring spanner set 6 - 32size - 2 sets - 2500/- (Chrome Vanadium metal)
6. Open Spanner set (6 - 32 size) - 1000/- - 2 sets
7. + and - Screw drivers - 10Numbers (very lengthy 4nos, very short 2nos, interchangeble type 2nos) – 800/-
8. Metal handle hammers – 3Nos – Big, very big and small – 1200/-
9. Cutting and nose plyers – 4nos – 450/-
10. Old steering rods/ similar solid iron rods – 2Nos – 1000/-
11. Welding tools – 7000/-
And many more will be required

Bodyshop:
If you also plan to do painting side by side, then this is what you need.
1. A fixed 3HP compressor (motor with belt driven) – 5000/-
2. A separate 200litre (or more) gas tank – no idea about price, this tank can also support the single shaft lift used in some water washing centers, can even lift a matador.
3. If you don’t want a lift then, simply spend 12000/- to get a 2.5HP, motor driven compressor (not chinese) with a 60litres tank capacity.
4. Most tools can be powered using compressed air – scrubber, polisher, spray gun etc
5. Guns – professional HVLP (High volume low pressure) guns imported from USA cost about 3500/-, local ones cost about 450/-
6. Underbody coating gun (pitch gun) – 250/-
7. Flexible Pipes from gun to compressor - 700/-
8. A simple, dust free paint booth – 10,000/- (basic structure in 1inch square pipes and plastic transparent sheets to cover entire thing, 4 tube lights, 2 fans)
9. A separate stand to paint mirrors, wheel caps etc (not everything should be painted in the booth).
10. You can outsource tinker jobs as it is very noisy, you need enough sunlight throughout garage to keep the Electricity bills at tap and also painter needs sunlight to work on.

Water wash:

1. Motor driven water pump/compressor – 1inch hose connector – 11,000/-
2. L angle, C angle, I angle nozzles – to clean underbody etc without the guy bending much and no need of any lifts.
3. Micro fiber cloth in bulk
4. 5 gallon imported shampoos – for exteriors
5. 5 gallon imported seat fabric shampoo – for interiors and roof
6. Wet and Dry Vaccum pump – 15,000/-
7. You can use paint booth type set up for waxing purpose as well ( don’t switch on fans, use only lights)
8. Dont be surprise if you find 100kilos fine mud opposite to your garage within a month of starting the water wash. So a bigger storm water drain is an added advantage if you have one close to your garage.

Liquids on stock:
1. Engine Oil: 100 or 200litres barrel or stick to 5ltrs cans
2. Gear Oil: 10litres can
3. Cotton waste - 20kilos
4. Shampoos and polishes
5. Black and white grease - stick to MGP or similar brand
6. Diesel - 5litres
7. Thinner - NC and PU - 5litres each
8. Brake Oil - 2litres
9. Huge cans to store and sell the used engine oil recovered from the cars
10. Burn the old dirty air filters once in 5months and put the metal parts to scrap guy.
11. Always remember - No tool comes in or goes out of garage, otherwise everymonth you would end up shopping tools alone..
Will check with a few people and give you more figures soon :)

Hi ss80, Thanks for your detailed analysis. I was expecting response from you [:D]
I have made some analysis on how to decide a location, size of the area, type of jobs to be carried out. You have added lot many things and filled many missing links. I have to go through your post once again in detail and have to discuss a lot.

Thanks for your response Ram sir.[:)] And Apologies for the late response. I was bit busy with my official things
I am basically in Automotive domain only. I had been involved in software development for different clusters for ford(mondeo for china etc) and multi function displays (used in new fiesta and Ecosport). But not much in mechanical side. So i am planning to get some practical experience in some local garage once i quit my current job for bit of hands on experience.
I am currently near Madipakkam, Chennai. But i have decided to start this in salem due to space availability.
That's great as you are from the same field only you need to have some experience in mechanical side. It will be more easy for you as you have the basics in you already. Madipakkam is also a good residential area, and you can try somewhere between Kaively and Ponniamman koil BS. You might have seen that AMS Maruti service, he started in a small way and now he has settled with his business. And if Salem is comfortable for you that's also a good city with lot of potential customers.

Top Bottom