Setting an Automatic Speed Limit on Cars and Bikes in India?

Setting an Automatic Speed Limit on Cars and Bikes in India?

• Yes, I support and would welcome this move.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No, I would thoroughly disapprove of this move.

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Maybe, it would depend on the situation and other things like speed set etc.

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
What if our government compulsorily implements setting an automatic limiter in all cars and bikes sold in India in an attempt to reduce the number of increasing road accidents across the nation, of which one of the major causes is the uncontrollable high speed and recklessly driven vehicles. This is something similar to Blue line buses in Delhi if any of you remember. Do you believe that it will help to control road accidents and would you personally support this move or protest against it?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Very good topic,it will be a good idea to implement. But this major one should be only in commercial vehicles as they contribute to larger extent of accidents in India.

If you remember, something on the lines on Blue line buses in Delhi.
AFAIK they call it as a speed governor where the speeds won't go beyond the set limit.

In KSRTC the speed limit for Ordinary and executive buses are set to 70kmph and 90kmph for luxury buses.

IMO slow moving vehicles are equally responsible for accidents as much as a high speed and reckless drivers. If the top speed is limited, drivers will get aggressive, since the travelling time will be high (no one would want to slow down). Although, implementing them on cargo vehicles would do wonders, I see many reckless drivers on Pick-ups, those 3/4 wheelers(Super ace can do 125 kph), 407s, Eichers and some petroleum vehicles.

Well,guys,the only word coming to my mind on reading this idea is BAKWAAS(CRAP),this is nothing more than a crap.
Okay its the speed that results in fatalities,but for accident I believe that 90% of times its the personal mistake,why?simple it is,if you drive fist in dense traffic then you are surely gonna cause an accident,so you can say its better applying speed limits and challaning those exceeding the limit,instead of some nonsense speed limiters.

Nice topic. This could be a nice move if implemented in all commercial vehicles. But again here, ppl can crack it anytime just to move fast. reckless driven vehicles will still continue to flame the road.

I dont think it will work. Speed limits depend on the road conditions.

50 kmph on a busy market road is speeding & risky but 50 kmph on an open highway like Mumbai-pune expressway means you will be EXTREMELY slow & the driver will sleep of boredom, thus causing an accident.

Secondly, it depends on the car too. 120 kmph in a BMW 530d is nothing, the car is capable enough to stop well in time, but in a Maruti 800... well, it is like tickling Yamraj.

Government should come up with more practical speed limits. The limits should at least make some sense. I've seen 20 or 30 kph on some highways in TN. And on most state highways, I think it is 50 or 60 kph.

Road accidents end deadly from 8kph.

Education is better then limiting everything.

People will get angry and bring in measures to over ride such measures.

Train people properly and hold them responsible on an eye for eye basis when they are reckless.

It does not matter whether a truck drives over your car when you 20 or 120. I have seen plenty of truck drivers being willingly ignorant in India in the short time I was there. Punish them hard and also bring in a task force that gets paid a lot of money on performance to bring down corrupt police officers who let these reckless drivers get away.

Only moving objects can collide and it does not matter how fast or slow they are. Ignorants don't care about your life. Restrictions they won't care either. Only the good drivers will suffer as they are punished to go slow because of selfish and reckless drivers.

However, I am all for it that speed restrictions should come in at certain places because they are danger spots. But the decisions should be left to experts not some puffed up moron who might not be even able to spell speed limit.

This is good move, but before implementing it government should make sure that the roads are in excellent condition and traffic is regularised. With this we can calculate travelling time and work accordingly.

For example:

If I want to reach a place which is 20KM from my place then the traffic and road condition should be in such a way that it don't take more than 45 minutes.

But the actual condition now is people jump signals, overtake recklessly, heavy traffic, no rigid traffic rules, narrow and bumpy roads and stupid signalling technique which uses only timers and not considering the actual traffic conditions. If these things going to exist then there wouldn't any improvements in reducing accidents even if speed limit device is introduces.[confused]

Voting for it. In my personal opinion it should be categorized that the cab's to be restricted to 55-60, bikes not above 40, trucks not above 40, but majority of the times they are so overloaded that they can't even manage 30. passenger cars not above 70. More speed more thrill, less speed less thrill, maybe some people will quit driving and use public transport :) less crowd in the end!! i am a 70-80'er or basically i always drive and maintain upto the 2k rpm mark or below.

OT! But instead govt should think about penalizing the defaulters harsh, may be adopt talibanism for sometime and start thrashing defaulters in public and insert fear into every citizen which impacts deep into their heart and everyone would think again before violating :). When i drive and see a road rage i think of even more harsher punishments which i cannot discuss here :)

Train people properly and hold them responsible on an eye for eye basis when they are reckless.
Unfortunately the training people for the sake of earning fast money(read bribe) doesn't give importance for the quality training.

It does not matter whether a truck drives over your car when you 20 or 120. I have seen plenty of truck drivers being willingly ignorant in India in the short time I was there. Punish them hard and also bring in a task force that gets paid a lot of money on performance to bring down corrupt police officers who let these reckless drivers get away.
Its because the limited time they have where too many are harassed by the company that the goods or services should reach within the time.

Only moving objects can collide and it does not matter how fast or slow they are. Ignorants don't care about your life. Restrictions they won't care either. Only the good drivers will suffer as they are punished to go slow because of selfish and reckless drivers.
Yes very true, now humans are something else.

Very Interesting to see everybody's opinion. Speed limit should come in city limits but when travelling in highways i guess it all about you, your vehicle, your control & your confidence. Speed is not the only cause for accidents, there are many other factors too which will affect. But yes educating people about traffic will reduce accidents. But as Vishwas mentioned we have our roots corrupted[anger] will be very tough job to change things. So as a social being its everybody's responsibility to drive safe.

[thumbsup]
Santosh.V

IMO that is not a good idea because as said above slow moving vehicles will cause accidents. And only by putting a automatic speed limit is not gonna help. What about people driving on wrong side of the road, turning without any indication, overtaking when there is no room to overtake. So i guess these are bigger problems then speeding.

I voted no. It would be unfair on private vehicle owners to limit their speeds. Mostly people choose car as their mode of transport because it's quicker than buses.

I would say , limit the speed of commercial vehicles atleast the trucks. I have seen trucks and mini-van's plying above 100kmph in highways!

It all depends on one's vehicle too and one should limit himself and understand the capabilities of his vehicle. Like Raj said a BMW 530d can do even 150kmph and come to a halt whenever needed. But if an average joe in a normal car tries to race with a BMW then that's foolishness.

Also most of the accidents in highways are not due to high speed rash and reckless driving alone. Atleast 50% of the accidents are due to vehicles coming in the wrong direction , heavy vehicles switching lanes without any indication etc etc

Top Bottom