Servicing Your Car – Checklist, Tips and Tricks

Re: Servicing Your Car – Tips and Tricks

Sunny, the petrol tank additive is nothing related to engine flush which i mentioned in the previous post of mine.
These fuel additives boast to provide better fuel efficiency, corrosion prevention and many others. And dont know why but Maruti guys highly recommend the use of these additives though i have never used it. Also i have never heard of any ill effect caused by these additives, so no need to worry.

Thanks for a prompt reply Akash but i have heard that fuel additives are required in old engine cars but not in new ones. If they are used in new car engines their effect is reserved leading to early wear and tear of the car engine, though i am not 100% sure.

I have planned that on the arrival of the 3rd service of my car, i will first visit the service center 3-4 days before the actual service and will ask them for the list of all the things they are going to replace or change in my car so i can have the knowledge regarding them whether if they are even needed at all.

I am really worried actually about that fuel additive thing. I am also not sure if even wheel balancing as needed.

Last edited:

Thanks for a prompt reply Akash but i have heard that fuel additives are required in old engine cars but not in new ones. If they are used in new car engines their effect is reserved leading to early wear and tear of the car engine, though i am not 100% sure.
No Sunny, the fuel additives have nothing to do with the age of the vehicle. And if its worrying you, just ask your MASS guys to stop putting it.

I have planned that on the arrival of the 3rd service of my car, i will first visit the service center 3-4 days before the actual service and will ask them for the list of all the things they are going to replace or change in my car so i can have the knowledge regarding them whether if they are even needed at all.
Whenever you get your car serviced, do take an estimate of the next service. All the info is provided therein.

Thanks for your reply. I have attached the invoice please take a look.
Hi SunnySwift, I guess the service guys just wanted to increase your bill, as far as I have read and experienced these additives don't help that much nor harm your car. its just the mental feeling what we get out of adding additives.

If you take my advice try avoiding additives and use normal petrol.

Regarding wheel balancing, its better to be done at every 5000 kms along with alignment and tyre rotation. I guess as per your manual 2nd free service is 6 months or 5000 kms whichever is earlier so they must have done the wheel balancing.

Last edited:

@ Mastersquall Yeah they used to do it in my Safari also each time they change the engine oil.

@ Sunnyswift I think they do this wheel alignment and additives to make easy cash from customers! Next time ask in advance what will be done during service and warn them that they should not do anything other than that and your complaints if any.

Thread Starter #37

Hi guys..
Thanks a lot alok for this thread.Actually i was afraid of what need to change in second service.Great Job
Welcome:)))BTW you cn pm me if you want any other info.I may be able to help you or i can give u a link to your problem!!

Thread Starter #38

Hey guys!!

Please suggest me the best hyundai service center in delhi/ncr!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I have no idea but to start with , try out the one nearer to your home. If they do good during first service then continue with them , if not go for another one.

Luckily for me , i am satisfied with the one near my home itself!

Scorpio - mHawk - 40k service - suggestions needed

I am planning to give my mHawk for 40k service in a week time. I am requesting the experts and previous owners to provide your valuable suggestions for 40k service. What are the items that I need to consider when I am giving for service. I know the manual has a list of suggestions but I would like to hear from you so that I can get real-time suggestions and feedback about the service. As I recently moved from Bangalore to Chennai, I am planning to give for service in Zulaikha Motors, Ambattur Industrial Estate, Service Center. Please provide your suggestions about the service center and the list of items that I need to consider.

Need advice:

My Etios Diesel just had it's 3rd free service at Lanson Toyota, Pallikaranai (Velachery) (because the place is close to where I stay). Drove it for less than 15 kms and the oil indicator lamp lit up. Called up roadside assistance.

Further, when they drained the little oil that remained it was rather black (not the translucent golden color that new oils are).

Now the car makes a whistling noise when I step up the accelerator. Before heading back to the service centre, my question: Do new oils turn black with sediments just after a 15 kms run?

Glad for any immediate advice.

Pre & After Service Checklist & Tips !

Thanks to my recent terrible experience after picking my car from service i looked back to see all the things that have gone wrong with my other cars & friends cars after service & have also got some candid info from people in the industry,so rest assured all the things mentioned can/have happened & other members are welcome to add in there knowledge/experiences to this thread.

My view on service centers
Service centers seem to be going downhill all thanks to the incredible number of cars being sold everyday so the amount of cars these centers see every day increase along with time,this specially holds true if your car is a Tata,Maruti or Hyundai (but that does not mean smaller volume makers wont screw up).http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-news/109-car-manufacturer-wise-monthly-sales.html
So no matter how friendly you are to the advisor or vice-versa your car is in the changing hands of the mechanics & engineers in & around the service bay so best ignore the friendly or poker face of the service advisor when taking your car back from service,i learnt the guy who screwed up my car service handles 20+ cars in a span of a few hours & he was not the only one.(Work target or promotion seeker???)

Things you need to mark on your car

- When your car is given for service the battery is disconnected usually when being worked on but its a rare scenario for it to be removed out & there have been cases of batteries ending up in another car so write your car number on the side of the battery.

- Make note of the dates on your tires that is if your tires are the stock tires that came with the car,you can read the dates on the tires by looking at the 4 digit code usually given in a box on the tire wall,for Example 2811 means 28th week & 11 stands for 2011 , your tires can end up being swapped with someothers when being removed for wheel balancing.

Pre-Service Checklist

- Make a note of all the things that need to be rectified when you give the car for service,you can make things easier for yourself by typing & saving the text on your cell phone as you mite forget to mention some issues when talking to the SA.

- The obvious things like removing the music system head unit & woofer are advised but if your a fussy music freak & your music system has a million settings then make note of the settings as they can get reset during service.

- Make sure you have your service manual along in the car as they contain coupons for service ,but some centers dont really require as your car details are shared within the company database.

- Take a look under the seats & other storage areas to see if you have left anything behind in the car & briefly make note that all mats,mudflaps,wheelcovers,spare wheel are there,its also the SA duty to inform you if things are missing & write it in the report(along with dents & other damages).

After-Service Checklist

- Make sure all issues you have mentioned are rectified as these are the things will shown the amount of attention given to your car by the SA.

- Make sure all old replaced parts such as clutch,brake pads are given to you or kept in the car.

- If engine oil is changed then its the duty of the SA(but rarely done,so help yourself) to show you that engine oil is new & it has been topped up to the right level.

- Chances are your car mite have new damages so no matter if its raining(borrow an umbrella) or getting dark check wheel arch areas & corners of the windshield for damage using the light from your phone atleast as i cannot stress how many times things have gone wrong with our cars & others i know as these are most likely places other than the obvious bumpers so you can raise the issue & save yourself some misfortune.

- Check mats,tires,spare tire(especially if wheel balancing was done) wheel covers & battery all belong to your car(easier if you have made note before).

Its quite often we hurry off without checking everything on our cars after service despite the bills being equivalent to a decent youths one month salary,but i hope this thread will help others from facing unwanted hassles in the future.[drive]

Re: Pre & After Service Checklist & Tips !

Nice thread dude. Adding few other checks too (from my bitter experience[frustration])
- Check for CDs in HU (had a worst experience in the past. I was in search of a private pop album for around 3 years and ordered online paying double the cost. Finally during service, that is missing)
- Engine cover (not sure what we call them, the pplastic one over the engine) During my last service from Capital Honda, I was left out without the engine cover (with v-tec badge) Before taking delivery, I got them fixed back

Re: Pre & After Service Checklist & Tips !

Great pointers for pre check service list.
One question though is it necessary that all stock tires should have the same date of manufacture?
Also is there any personal identification for the tyre as a coincidence there might be cars for service for around same time and tyres might have different wear and tear .
So in the name of tyre rotation one gets the tyres from other car?

Top Bottom