Servicing Your Car – Checklist, Tips and Tricks

In older vehicles 10 k interval was specified for gear oil change (Complete drain out and change).
Though level is usually topped up by check ups.

In newer ones- 20 k interval is regular check up time, and compkete draining is by 50 k km.

You can ask your mechanic to check the level of gear oil.

Do you find unusual jerks in gear getting onto slot, or any other cons,then check the level.

It won't get sooty like engine oil also.Only the viscosity reduces by slight amount.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Do you find unusual jerks in gear getting onto slot, or any other cons,then check the level.
No not till now. Just as usual, once in a while due to improper meshing there is a brief sound while shifting gears. That's normal in any car.

It won't get sooty like engine oil also.Only the viscosity reduces by slight amount.
Right. So, at 50K kms I should change gear oil. Any idea on the spark plug query vishnu?

Regards

Akash

Any mileage issues Mr.Akash.
Starting trouble or problems while cold start.
These point to spark plug change.
Normally at 40 k Spark plugs are changed.
Normally i remember Bosch spark plugs (Set of 4),costs around 300.
Either they will do spark plug adjutment (Cleaning and retightening ),or else they will replace the set.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Any mileage issues Mr.Akash.
Starting trouble or problems while cold start.
No nothing as such Vishnu. I am getting an average of 13 to 13.4 km/L in City with AC now.

Normally at 40 k Spark plugs are changed.
Normally i remember Bosch spark plugs (Set of 4),costs around 300.
Thanks, I'll get them checked and if needed then replaced by new Bosch ones.

Regards

Akash

My new bolero ZLX

Dear Members,

I need some info regarding first service of my mahindra bolero.

As per manual and website, first service of bolero is scheduled after 5000 kms. On some sites it's mentioned 4 months also whichever is earlier.

My bolero has run only 1700 kms as it was not driven for 2 months.

My doubt is whether to get the servicing don't at 1700 kms only or wait till 5000 kms.

As first service gets engine oil, oil filter etc to be replaced.

Please suggest.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: My new bolero ZLX

Dear Members,

I need some info regarding first service of my mahindra bolero.

As per manual and website, first service of bolero is scheduled after 5000 kms. On some sites it's mentioned 4 months also whichever is earlier.

My bolero has run only 1700 kms as it was not driven for 2 months.

My doubt is whether to get the servicing don't at 1700 kms only or wait till 5000 kms. As first service gets engine oil, oil filter etc to be replaced.
AK, You purchased the car 6 months back, of which, 2 months it was not used. So that comes to 4 months of use. As per the schedule highlighted above, it is 5K or 4 months which ever is earlier. Hence, time period of 4 months is correct in your case where as ODO is less than 5K. So, being the 1st service which includes the oil change so better would be to get it done. Reason is because, when a car is in use its mechanical parts are in running condition, but, when its stationary/parked/unused for a period like month or 2 it is advisable to get it serviced since a parked/unused car needs more care than a regularly used one. So, I suggest go ahead and get it properly Checked and Serviced.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
HELP NEEDED: Ford Service

hello all,

I own a Ford Fiesta Classic, had have done 25,000 kms and today left it for service at cauvery ford in bangalore. The service guy called me and asked for approval to change the brake pads, I was not sure if to go ahead as I never had any brake trouble or any squeaks from the brakes. He told me including labor the cost will come upto 2500, I told him if its really necessary then go ahead and change it, later in the evening when I reached the service center I was shocked to find the old brake pads absolutely fine and with nearly 8mm thickness still left. Even ford advices to change only when it reduces to 3mm or less, and consider to change only between 5mm-3mm.

But the new pads were already fit, I asked the guy who did the service(not the advisor) was it necessary to change the pads, he said they would have run easily another 10k-12k kms without trouble, he even said that he suggested not to change the pads to the advisor.

I could not collect the car this evening as the wash was pending, i am going to take the delivery tomorrow, now can i ask them to refit my old pads and refuse to pay them for the new ones?

Please reply at the earliest

As they have put in new part it will be billed, i think the best thing is now onwards keep in account of this, and if at all service advisor tries to again change pads next time, you can show the bill.

Spark LT - sounds while turning

My spark LT ODO-19k recently started producing sound on turning sharply. When contact the local workshop they declared the clutch plates, pressure plates and drive shafts needs replacement. Kindly suggest.....

Maruthi Alto Service

Hi,
I have done service for my Maruthi Alto(Petrol - 2010 Model) one and half years back and it is almost idle at my home from that time. It have travelled hardly around 1000 KM. do i still need to service it this year. Over all the car have not travelled more than 10000 KM. i am planning for long ride(up and down 300 km). do i need to check something before travel?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I have a Query! This is a very elaborate servicing check list for benefit of the car's owner. But, having witnessed the approach of technicians at the authorized ASC of various brands, I would like to understand, DO the technicians there always follow the checks listed in the service manual religiously? Why at any given opportunity they by-pass a small yet important check? Are those listed checks not of any use? Why they give false impressions to the owner? Why is the technicians reasoning of avoiding a check in the car majorly vague?

Regards

Akash

During Free services technicians won't check anything unless we are so much concerned with our ride and insist on same.
During 2nd free service of my ride, i insisted to clean air filter, after getting vehicle back i checked whether they did it, and found it negative.I demanded explanation from SA, and he immediately accepted mistake and ordered his technician help to do the same.

Once an SA knows you are well known about vehicle jobs,he can't fool around.

During 3 rd service i will put a marking in Oil filter so i can know whether it is changed or not, as i heard from one of my friend's experience in same ASS that oil filter wasn't changed.

Top Bottom