Servicing Your Car – Checklist, Tips and Tricks

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Things to do in first service

1st Service: Firstly supervise it in your presence. Don't pay attention to SA telling you to step off the work floor and sit in lounge.

Checks/Changes in 1st service.

1) All fluids shall be topped up.

2) Engine Oil Change could be subjective.

3) Air Filter Cleaning (if required)

4) All wiring and battery water are checked

5) All doors/hinges are checked. Get them greased.

6) All lights are checked

7) Air pressure is checked

8) Car idling is done.

9) Car Wash (Make sure under body and wheel arcs are cleaned properly).

10) Don't let them apply dashboard polish on door-pads.

Do a Pre Delivery check after service is over.

In free service, Labor cost is not charged and only the consumables are charged. Also, do not fall for wasteful expenses like silencer coating or any other coating like Teflon et al.

Thanks

Akash

Well, everything else listed comes under inspection. I mean within a month / 11000km you dont expect coolant to have dropped off or battery water to have reduced. Obviously they need to check & i would demand a copy of the paperwork

In my experience with smaller petrol engines - 20cc to 100cc, we always have them running in the first 20litres. They tend to put out a lot of black exhaust while the various parts seat & mate properly. Admittedly ours are much simpler equipments but the automobile engines are just more complex. I am sure that if they drain the oils out they will find both a dark black colour
Ameyam

ilango[speed thirst said:
;62711]General service !
Change oil and oil filter
check for gear oil and refill /flush and fill with new one with proper grade.
If diesel means , replace diesel filter
petrol means , replace according to odo read.

check for clutch , check how much life remaining.
check and clean brake - during brake service the mechanic hands must be clean , no oil , grease etc.
wash the pad and lining with petrol , avoid scrubbing to ground (they also remove dirt and age old practice of cleaning, - remember school students dirt their hand in mud before boarding the bus in its steps for good grips)
Bleed air in diesel filter and also in brake pipes/line.
check and align wheel, rotate if necessary.
lubricate and grease , the parts necessary , like doors etc.

wash the car and apply polish.
add plastic and rubber care on plastic and rubber items.

Check and replace spark plug .
check and replace wiper blade if necessary

Check and replace coolant if necessary , green one needs to be done.

Apply anabond in drain cork of oil sump for added protection.
Also in differentials if the oil is replaced in rear wheel drive car.

check and adjust / replace belts and bearing.

Hope i covered most!
The best advice... But now a days we are not able to watch by standing near car :+(

Can I change engine oil before servicing?

Hi, My swift vxi has run 17k kms in 1.5 years.

The next service is due at 20k kms.

A week back, I got my engine checked at Shell Petrol pump and came to know that the engine oil is totally burnt.

My query: Should I get engine oil changed from outside before my due service at Maruti service station? Will it have any disadvantages?

p.s. I also believe that Maruti uses inferior quality oil hence getting it changed form outside may give me better results.

Thanks.[:)]

What things to check / get done in second service?

Hi,

starting a new thread as I couldn't find one for 2nd service. Does anyone have a list of things that I need to get done at 2nd service? Basically, a shootlist for telling the SS? Mine on my Swift VXI is due on the morning of 10-4-15, so need a list urgently. Fe things I can think of

- Ask them to figure out the indifferent brakes and get them sorted (Will asking them to fit Bosch or Brembo pads help here?)
- Ask them to replace the engine oil. My oil level has dropped and its has gone slightly dark (though not too bad). They offered to top up the oil when I booked the appointment but since this is a new car, I am going to ask them to do an oil and filter replacement
- My driver remarked that the cooling is not as much as a couple of months ago. I don't seem to notice any such thing but I feel its mostly because of the higher ambient temperatures
- He also mentioned that the car seemed to be sitting down at the rear. I don't think so, but will ask them to check
- Tyre rotation. I think the manual said to do it every 5000km (?) which is about what has been covered
- Cabin filter check. Though mine is new, its loose, so it may not be doing anything
- New PUC. I believe the PUC in Mumbai is only valid for 6 months
- I had them do an overcoat / clearcoat / Teflon, whatever they call it and I was told they will do it again at 2nd service
- Minor paint touch-ups- near the door handles where there are a few scratches and at the bumper (I stupidly pushed my car into the bike in front while trying to park in a confined place
- I don't need engine filter replacement. I am using K&N but giving them the car with the stock filter

Anything else?

Ameyam

Ameyam, Engine oil + Filter change should be done in your case as i have seen your dipstick level photo.
Tyre rotation is not required but alignment can be done.
Brush touch and rubbing the coat is usually free,so check on that.

First year PUC not required.
I think Brake set up inbulit in swift is BOSCH made,as i have seen the bosch emblem in Brake Booster setup in bonnet bay.

Hi,

The braking parts are made by Bosch but the pads are TVS i am told. But i want sharper brakes at bumper to bumper speeds. Plus there is a grunting sound from right wheel at dead low speed i noticed today. Earlier i had this come ftom the left wheel which i got greased from outside

They had done teflon in October when i bought it, so they are to do it again at 6months. I will check on brush touchup and rubbing before. Early morning appointment.

I did alignment when i fitted alloys in February. So mot sure its needed just yet. Plus Sai Service charges 2k for alignment i am told which is insane. Would rather do it from outside. Only thing- the mounting studs feel too short, dont even exit the nuts

The salesman had told me PUC is valid for 6 months. So will ask

Last edited:
PUC is valid for 6 months nut for new cars as per emmision standards, 1 year no pollution check up required- I think .
Yes give alignment outside that's better.
Balancing just check it.
For wheels time period is not the criteria, how much kilometres it has covered.
In Well paved roads- Alignment check up- 5k interval, else 2500.

PUC to be redone. I checked
The alignment charges were 1.1K. I told them I will do from outside. It costs Rs 300 outside! That's insane
Asked for wheel rotation. Just asked them to tighten the wheels and I will have it aligned from outside
They suggested to replace the stock gear knob with the one available for the Ciaz. I looked it and liked it, so went ahead
They will mostly just top off the engine oil. He said they would check and then decide
I told them to sort out the brakes, even suggested they should retrofit the ABS system from the ZXI. They haven't informed yet, I am waiting for delivery and test drive. If they can do it, putting in the ABS system will be safer.
They suggested to do a lot of other things but I just went for some pest control- they will put some gel in the seat rails and stuff. He was sharp enough to note that I had a K&N sticker, so didn't offer filter change
The total bill is estimated at 1600 including some other small things. I have an AMC, so mostly that amount will be waived off.
I am looking for a car cover as the building across the road from where I park is under construction. Any suggestions

Ameyam

Last edited:
Yes. I did suggest them that. Said its not necessary immediately. Implies they are unwilling to do it just yet. May be i will get it done from outside using genuine spares

Ameyam

Last edited:
Hyundai Eon Fuel Injector Cleaning @ 10K Kms

Recently my Hyundai EON car had the 10,000 service (paid) at popular hyundai calicut.After giving for service the SA called to give me the estimate of Rs 5800.I asked him for details. i had only asked an extra brake pad cleaning and font wiper replacement. He gave me a list of things to be done at 10,000km. Fuel injector cleaning, engine oil flush , oil and a/c filter replacing , wheel alignment & balancing etc. I blatantly refused for fuel injector cleaning at 10,000 km that with no fuel problems nor milage drop. Just asked him to do engine oil change , oil filter and air filter replacement. I Opted to do brake pad cleaning and wheel alignment and balancing outside authorised service centre. So total bill came to just Rs 2,220. and alignment & balancing done outside cost me Rs 460.So please beware of SA ' S AT HYUNDAI ASS fleecing you for unwanted service charges.

Last edited:
That applies to all the service centers. i had my Swift 2nd service. Just a month prior i had the rims replaced with alloys & had balancing & alignment done then. So in service i asked for tyre rotation to be done & asked to have alingment checked as a procedure after fitting the rotated tires. They quoter 1500. I told them its done for 3p0 outside. They said that its always higher at the ASS. I didnt get it done. When i took it to the alloy vendor, he said thay just 800km since alloy fitment, so no need to check alignment
Ameyam

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

I have a Q. My Honda City has clocked 41,000 as on date. Should I get the gear oil replaced along with the engine oil at 45K kms? I always change engine oil at 10K so last time I did it at 35K kms. The reason why I ask for gear oil change is that, ever since the purchase in 2011 October, the gear oil was not changed. I have been told that gear oil in my car can be changed around 75-80K kms but I want to have a clear thought on this whether, it is good to change the gear oil at 45K or should I go for change of gear oil at 75K kms?

Q2: What is the average time of changing spark plugs of the car? Should I replace them with normal ones or go for high performance ones? Does high performance spark plug make any "real" difference in the car's performance?

Solutions welcome!

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom