Servicing My Maruti 800 After a Long Time

Thread Starter #1
hello there , i own a maruti 800 purchased in 2000 which has done 45000 km till date. OK now time to reveal truth , it hasnt been serviced from last 18000 km [roll]. i know i took it to the limits[gun] , but i didnt find enough time to get it done and my dad says its still running fine HAHA.
i dont have any issues of low mileage as I get decent FE , 15 kmpl in city . i talked to this SA from MASS he said that there is some package for 775Rs where they check and repair and replace
1) Engine oil
2) Cleaning of brake pads
3) Plug change (he said plug change i think it is spark plug)
4) Adjust suspension + interior cleaning as well
but suggested me to have estimate around 3k for rest of work (like transmission oil , brake oil etc)
please suggest me what all should i check before giving to MASS AS THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IM GOING TO any MASS [confused] and will he give estimate bill before starting to work on car so that i could weed out unnecessary things and will they show the old spares that are replaced

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: SERVICING MY MARUTI 800 after long time

Can I ask you one question? Did you change the engine oil from last 18000 KM?
dharmesh i havent changed but i topped the engine oil to the correct level also i had some overheating issue which was solved after flushing the radiator

But how has your car survived for 18k kms with out new oil ?

The quote given is correct. Make sure they use engine oil flush before they put new oil, as the oil in your car would have been very old (sticky).

Get new oil filter, air filter also get the timing checked.

If you have not yet changed brake pads, fuel filter its very much necessary.

Make sure they use engine oil flush before they put new oil, as the oil in your car would have been very old (sticky).
One confusion, As the engine oil is soo old I think the thick burnt oil may have got collected in the oil pan(sump). Will the oil completely get removed from the sump by flushing. Once I had seen oil replace of an old fiat. The oil sump was removed and cleaned. Lots of burnt oil was sticking to the walls of the oil pan

Buddy you are killing your engine with all that slush, mud and grime running through it's viens. Firstly, get the engine flush done and fill with new oil. Next in line is change of all fluids and filters. Also, change the spark plugs if not changed till now. also, get the timing belt checked for any signs of wear. Also, do post a few pics of your 800.

freakdude.

One confusion, As the engine oil is soo old I think the thick burnt oil may have got collected in the oil pan(sump). Will the oil completely get removed from the sump by flushing. Once I had seen oil replace of an old fiat. The oil sump was removed and cleaned. Lots of burnt oil was sticking to the walls of the oil pan
If the oil is in the case which you said, car might not run. But any way you can get it done. For removing the oil sump entire engine has to be taken down. I would also suggest De-carbonizing.

Thread Starter #8
hi there guys sorry for responding lately
gave my car for servicing at sai service and got
1) engine oil
2) spark plug
3) fuel filter
4) air filter and got the ignition timing checked
Here's my experiance at MASS
SA: so , sir how many km it has been since last service
ME: 18K KM [:D]
SA: you have really tested the robustness (with expression on his face as if im joking ) checks engine oil level and says oil sludge is formed ( now he believes)
ME: well cant you use engine oil flush
SA: No, sir it is not advisable for this car ?(giving expression as if even asking is crime)
SA: what mileage do you get, sir?
ME: some where around 12-15 kmpl in city.this time he was stunned by my answer

after the service i can feel the difference in the performance also i will be posting the mileage im getting after service. but there are other issues[cry] like , engine gives jerks (decreased a lot now) while running and after parking car for about 1/2 hr or1 hr it cranks but doesnt start i have to press the accelerator pedal only then the engine comes to life
i will be posting some images of spark plugs and air filter before changing , those were in a pathetic stage and not to mention engine oil it was pitch black

i still have this jerking issue engine jerks even when idling and running(accelerating) engine was perfectly fine idling at MASS just after the spark plug change but started to jerk while i was taking it to home
i would really appreciate your suggestions

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
varun560061 sir
earlier when my car had this prob , the carb has been purposefully tuned to rich mixture my local mechanic, but which returned very low FE and again took it to mechanic to keep the mixture as before
do you think there is anything wrong with distributer or contact breaker or should i get carb cleaned

The contact breakers are prone to get worn off, you might have to get them changed.Why are you running a rich mixture.Apart from winter when it gets really cold you do not need to run a rich mixture.It is bad for the engine.

Follow the instructions from Varun.Get your engine flushed.Also you can get the oil pan removed and cleaned.There is a mesh filter inside the oil pan that should be thoroughly cleaned.

Every engine oil maker states the max kms and even your manual states the interval between oil changes and filter changes.PLEASE FOLLOW THEM.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
May be the carburetor has to be tuned, check for idle rpm too. They might have kept it low.
sir i gave my car for engine tuning they have checked and adjusted the idle rpm and dwell with tachometer they had

The contact breakers are prone to get worn off, you might have to get them changed.Why are you running a rich mixture.
sir changed the contact breaker ( at the time of tune up) now it no more stalls or tend to stall . the rpm is set to 800. and my car is not running on rich mixture. now ,its normal. and while tuneup the mechanic removed fuel return
pipe to check the pressure , ironically the pressure was low and he says carb is blocked . the pressure came to normal after fuel return was blocked by finger
sir what i suspect either a bad pump as you have mentioned or leak in fuel supply line

What is the update on the condition of the carb.You can use a carb cleaning spray on the carb.

You can also use fuel system cleaner like cyclo max 44.Just use it with a tankful of petrol.Follow the instructions on the containers for the fuel to cleaner ratio.

Keep the thread updated.

Holy Cow..salute to the car for surviving 18K KM without service. Really M800 was build for India. Now a days car do not have such sturdiness. If you miss one service, then get the problem for life time.

@afrose3
your car gave 15kmpl in the city with that air filter and engine oil [surprise]
man you need to behave with your car . think what mileage would it have given if you had maintained it properly and as the SA said you've really tested your car to the extreme level

Top Bottom