September 2014 Sales Figures of Cars in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSIL is again the king of Indian market as expected. Its really surprising to see Alto and WagonR still sells in very high number despite better options in market. As some members have pointed out rightly, many people here purchase those vehicles blindly without knowing they have better options in the market. Off course these two vehicles are good and reliable but they have aged now.

Ertiga sales have increased as against Mobilio and this will continue unless Honda revisits the pricing for Mobilio which is high unnecessarily. There are already complaints from Mobilio owners about the seat comfort during the long journey, which is not comfortable in those thin seats.

In small towns only one vehicle rules "Bolero", and the sales figures depicts that even this time.

Despite strong discounts/offers and marketing, Rapid did not find many customers as only 300 more were sold compared with August figures. Skoda needs to replace arrogant dealers first!, and then improve on ASS.

Face lifted Yeti saw few customers but I doubt it will be successful, as it is priced in the range of XUV and most of the people will prefer XUV over it. I personally like Yeti though.

Face lift for Sunny did not work either. Nissan, take a blade and slash out that bulgy rounded design and make it a bit slimmer and sporty. Just space is not sufficient!

Very surprised to see that only Amaze saw the heat from Zest, but Dzire maintained almost the same numbers.

And yes, welcome back Tata to numbers, thanks to Zest!

If someone asks me to rate the most dangerous car In India, Maruti Omni will be on top of my list. I think if you hit someone on a bike with Omni, you may get more injury than the person on the bike! I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling, just my opinion. [:)]
Completely agree on this point, and your opinion is actually a truth.
Omni is the most unsafe but successful vehicle in India. It can carry 8 people and is cheap to buy & maintain, and this suits to the requirement of many thus successful.
The irony is this unsafe Omni is used as ambulance [frustration]

Who is still buying the Maruti Omni? [thinking]I thought it had been discontinued long back!
India is real bad ! Omni is bought as ambulances !!

One interesting book I read recently
"At the helm" by Ex-chairman of Maruti Sh. V.Krishnamurthy who was instrumental in bring Suzuki to India.
One will understand from the book on how Suzuki was partnered by Maruti instead of europeans, nissan honda. Many interesting facts are her in that book. In fact it was a Govt company in earlier days. Based on the strategies formed 25-30 years back which are still in practise, I think Maruti is one company which is definitely made for Indians. Even Japan Suzuki admired indians in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maruti posts marginal growth in the dometic market of Oct sales-
Ciaz: 6345

Domestic sales rose by 1 percent during the month to 97,069 units as against 96,062 units in October, 2013
- M800, Alto, A-Star and WagonR, stands at 35,753 units.
- Swift, Estilo, Ritz, Dzire at 37,083
- Dzire Tour sales stand at 1,408
- Gypsy, Grand Vitara and Ertiga, at 6,027 units
- Omni and Eeco hits a high of 10,453 vans
Exports during the month declined by 23.5 percent to 6,904 units compared to 9,025 units
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/maruti-oct-sales-dip-11-to-104-lakh-units_1217069.html

Last edited:
Ciaz heads to a very good start.
Nothing new there, being a Maruti & good pricing has ensured it has managed good numbers. Even I am not surprised by 17000 bookings for it. The City & Verna managed higher numbers when they were launched.

Incase the Ciaz had less number of bookings, I would have surely been worried.

Nothing new there, being a Maruti & good pricing has ensured it has managed good numbers. Even I am not surprised by 17000 bookings for it. The City & Verna managed higher numbers when they were launched.

Incase the Ciaz had less number of bookings, I would have surely been worried.
But, it is a good news for MSIL in C2 segment.

The City & Verna managed higher numbers when they were launched.
Here is the major difference if you consider the Verna and City launches. Verna ruled the segment when there was no real competition ( since Honda did not have a diesel variant) and City cam back to claim the crown when the i-Dtec was launched.
In this case Ciaz has an uphill task of having to sell 6000+ units consistently to break even their investment, more so when you have so many players in this segmnet.
Considering the above Ciaz has started on the right note, and hopefully will sustain this as positive response keeps coming!

Here is the major difference if you consider the Verna and City launches. Verna ruled the segment when there was no real competition ( since Honda did not have a diesel variant) and City cam back to claim the crown when the i-Dtec was launched.
In this case Ciaz has an uphill task of having to sell 6000+ units consistently to break even their investment, more so when you have so many players in this segmnet.
Considering the above Ciaz has started on the right note, and hopefully will sustain this as positive response keeps coming!
Totally agree with what vm2011 said. While Verna was introduced, there was no real competition in C2 segment. But now the situation is a real hill high. Also the the customer who can afford has more and more choices like Auto Box Vento, Auto Box Rapid, Verna, Fiesta, City etc. Still Maruti has to gain popularity in the premium C+ segment. Maruti Ciaz managing to sell 2500 - 3500 units monthly in this market will be a huge hit. And that too they have to sell consistently like their other products.

Honda posts low October sales compared to competition. Could be taking the 4th position in total sales (domestic) for October. Mobilio falls behind Maruti's Ertiga!
The company sold 11,214 units in October 2013, Honda Cars India Ltd (HCIL) said in a statement.

Last month, the company sold 1,584 units of small car Brio, 3,482 units of compact sedan Amaze, 2,985 units of Mobilio 5,120 units of the mid-sized sedan City.
Honda Cars sales up 18.08 per cent in October - The Economic Times

I am seeing more Xcent's then Amaze on road, but more Mobilio's (Especially RS version) then Ertiga. Anyway, being a business there will be ups & downs. Does anyone know Tata & Hyundai sales figures ?

Does anyone know Tata & Hyundai sales figures ?
TATA - Sales of Zest will be nearly the same as in September!
Sales of the passenger cars in October 2014 were at 9,594 nos. The sales of utility vehicles were 1,917 nos. tATA Motors passenger vehicles for October 2014 were at 11,511 nos.
TATA Motors Media Centre

Hyundai: Hyundai India Ltd (HMIL), India’s second largest car manufacturer and the largest passenger car exporter registered a domestic sales figure of 38,010 units .

Mahindra:The Passenger Vehicle segment (which includes UVs and the Verito) sold 19,254 units in October 2014

Last edited:
Overall the Oct 14 sales number indicate not a very good month for automobile manufacturers. Especially considering the festival season, the results are not encouraging. Still the automobile sector has some way to go to recover completely. With the year end approaching I don't see remarkable increase in sales figure in the next two months.

Awaiting eagerly for the detailed sales thread in TAI for Oct 14

Surprised to see Honda figures. All their cars have been doing a see-saw like no other manufacturers'. Total sale of 13k is way below their running capacity, I believe. Ciaz has comfortably overtaken City and Mobilio has sold just above half of what it did last month. Are they still sorting out their production plan? Or have their demand come down drastically because of the dip in quality??
If its a production thing, how are they gonna manage Jazz next year? Totally disappointed with the Japanese 'H'.

Surprised to see Honda figures. All their cars have been doing a see-saw like no other manufacturers'. Total sale of 13k is way below their running capacity, I believe. Ciaz has comfortably overtaken City and Mobilio has sold just above half of what it did last month. Are they still sorting out their production plan? Or have their demand come down drastically because of the dip in quality??
If its a production thing, how are they gonna manage Jazz next year? Totally disappointed with the Japanese 'H'.
AFAIK, Honda has production constraints at thier Tapukara Plant. Its working on single shift and hence lower numbers for City compared to Ciaz and even from the 7500 units it had managed earlier this year. Honda will start 2nd shift from this month and it will increase output for Amaze & City. Regarding Mobilio I don't know exactly why its numbers have come down. Because Honda has a baclog of around 9.5 units as they have managed to sell around 11k units in 3 months. Even if some have cancelled thier bookings, some will have booked and the ratio equals there. We might have to wait again next month to have clear idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom