Sedans v/s SUVs - Your Personal Pick?

Sedan or SUV

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #376
Yes, it does affect handling... but how does it affect ride quality is what I am asking!
When with load on carrier, it exerts a force downwards on the body. When faced with bump, this force increases even more exerting pressure downwards. This leads to more of a 'thud' effect hampering the suspension effect, which in turn makes ride quality bad. Ofcourse, it doesn't have major impact when on smooth straight road, but at speeds above 80 kmph on uneven plain surfaces on highways, this does makes difference. I have experienced this in Innova while coming from Alibaug.

There would be no difference in ride quality dude!
It does as mentioned above.

That is because Hummer is an off roader, why would it need a V10?
Don't off-roader require more power & torque ?

Why? why only compare engines?
I am not saying ONLY engines, but engines should be part of comparo as it has nothing to do with body or chassis. It is just like seats which are indifferent to the kind of vehicle.

When you can bring in V10s & W12s into SUVs, why not bring locable diffs & low ratios into sedans?
Sure, you can put this here. All the aspects of engines should be discussed.

Discuss everything. Not just one thing which favors sedans.
We are. Aren't we seeing things like more seats etc. which favors SUVs ?
Infact, I believe that all aspects should be discussed to get fair idea of which engines is one of them.

So if its not about acceleration, then why would a SUV or a sedan need a V10?
There are UVs with V6, right ? Why do they have V6 when even V4 is sufficient ?

you are right, but you are responsible for that!
Do Pranayam....will help you !

We are talking about how many it can seat. When it comes to seating even 5 people, SUVs are better than sedans.
We are not taling about seating capacity but comfortable seating capacity. Please see the word COMFORTABLE. Now how many UVs can seat 5+ persons comfortably ? You yourself have mentioned that 3rd row isn't much useful.

I have stated that we are a family of 5. Along with driver, it becomes 6. So an innova can carry us comfortable (if we need to travel together), but a sedan cant.
Didn't we say that UVs are mass movers ? When did we deny this fact ?

But most of the time, 2-3 people travel in my car. Again we prefer the Innova instead of sedan as for tall people like us, sedans are not comfortable.
You mean sedan like Accord is less comfy than innova ?

You have replied how it affects handling... not how it affects ride quality.
How many times same Q ? Replied above.

But you maybe definitely knowing such guys with one kidney. Please ask them to join this forum. They can surely give your posts some company!
Why Serious ?? This is the tagline of my fav hatch- Jazz.
Somethings are said to keep the mood light. Take it that way, chill.

I mentioned your great ideologies when you said that SUV's comfort is "cattle class". Please dont waste the forum space for such simple things.
UVs comfort is indeed cattle class. What's wrong in that.
Ofcourse, there are people who may find economy class to be very comfy, but the reason for this is they may have never experienced what it is to travel 'first class'. Travel in some good sedans & you will know what you missed in UVs.

Not true. I have loaded so many bags in the Scorpio that it is impossible for any sedan to carry so many bags. Please note, here we have not even folded the third row seats or middle row seats. Nor have i removed the huge basstube. If I had done that, a lot more space would have come up.
Some things to focus here -
  • The 3rd row seats are jump seats & not front facing ones. Hence, you were able to load the goods without folding the seats like Safari. Have front facing 3rd row seats (which is what you prefer) & then see,
  • There is no-one who will sit in 2nd row. Had there been passengers here, there head would have been crushed with those bags falling on them,
  • Essentially, the pics put up you show how UV can be used as pick-up truck as with these many goods, only driver + 1 will be able to sit in it.
  • When comparo with car, you should compare 4 person with luggage as I doubt 2 persons will ever require so many bags while traveling,
  • Most importantly, these pics are clicked when UV is stationary. I would like to see what the situation of the goods is once it reaches its destination after traveling several kms.
Are you sure I saw that post?
Even if I say yes, I have no proof of that. But this is called more of 'situational blindness'.

And isnt it my choice on what to reply and what not to?!
Sure. You have complete right for that but continous ignorance raises doubts about impartiality of the posts.

Well, even if there is some post like that... why should I reply? I am not an Omni fan. I am an SUV fan. So?
See, issue is not with vehicle but its usage.

Thread Starter #377
Now thinking whether I really need SUV.

Let me escape before somebody jump on and roar that Manza is not a proper Sedan.
Precisely this is what we are trying to say. One doesn't require a UV until & unless one wants to use it as mass carrier &/or for putting lot of goods in it.

Sedan = Comfy travel for persons & luggage related to the passengers,
UV = Mass mover with goods having or not having direct relation with the passengers , in short pick-up truck.

atleast in mumbai the water logging happens in a flash .
A moment of 2-3 hours of continuous rains are enough to get the streets water logged upto 1-2 feet.
One can never anticipate such situations.
Just ask those who have survived the 26th july deluge.
Though that would be an extreme rarity but in such occurance SUVs is the vehicle you want to be in.
Also one does not buy cars for various seasonal patterns.
I am just counting the advantages of SUVs.
Here it is not the GC but the silencer or exhaust pipe height which matters as vehicle fails when water gets into the exhaust. And please don't over-hype the issue. There are rains in Mumbai, water gets logged, fine but how many times you see 26 deluge ? Had this been the case, all the taxis in Mumbai would have been UVs & there wouldn't have existed a single hatch or sedan in Mumbai.

Look, I agree that UVs have advantage to some extent here but it is not the deciding factor to buy one. It is like saying what if tomorrow all roads are full of potholes ? Let me buy Thar !!

And when the situation is like the one in pic below, nothing works except for a boat.

For carrying 8 people, you would book a 25 seater mini bus?
Winger. Not a single UV can seat 8 people in comfy.

Please understand that if someone carries fertilizers in his car, he is ready to bear the smell in the cabin.
OK. But we are the ones who treat humans different than goods.

Please see the utility here.
It is surely there but only for those who are ready to travel like goods.
I would rather prefer hiring a Tata ace for 150-200 bucks, transport stuff like fertilizer in it & myself travel in my car.

GC of a car is measured from the lowest point in the car body. Normally, in sedans the lowest point is the exhaust or underbody plates. But in SUVs, there is something which sticks way below the floor panel, that is, the rear differential. But, even though the diff is just 180 mm off the ground, it never scrapes anything as it is on the rear axle, that is, in line with the rear wheels. So whenever the wheels oscillate vertically, the diff also moves along with them. So, in reality, the GC of a Scorpio or Bolero is much more than what is mentioned.
Still there isn't much difference between the height of exhaust pipes.

but a car is meant to carry more than 2 people at the given time.
So if a person travels alone should he Then abandon his car and drive with a bike.
C'mon how can you compare car with a bike ? We are talking about 4 wheels with roof with no need to balance. Tomorrow if someone wants to go alone, he should walk or use unicycle or what ? [lol]

Or if 2 is the number why use a sedan , why not a proper 2 seat hatch or a coupe?
Many people would like to do it had there been a coupe, convertible of 2 seats which are affordable to masses.
There is not a single 2 seater coupe or convertible which is available below 40L in India. I am sure that if we do get a 2 seater car under 10L, it will be a huge market. Ofcourse, there was that San Storme but failed due to no dealers & unseen a.s.s. Imagine San Storme launched by Maruti or Tata, it will be a hit. I will be the first person to buy one in such case. It not only gives unique feeling, but looks nice in garage too besides being more practical in city & peppy on highways.

Can UVs travel here as seen in pic -

Attachments

S class I do agree with your many points though iam in favor of SUVs ( the reason I feel great siting with a high position seat seeing the road ahead with much clarity )
Since iam in a process of upgrading iam taking test rides of sedans and SUVs too I just loved the safari and aria with the kind of pleasure it gave me I found it much more satisfying then the verna and sunny the only sedan that come close to that kind of fun and pleasure was the new ford feista .
What I don't agree with you is when you say that SUVs are pick up trucks if that was a case then is Audi q7 also a pickup truck ? What about ranger rover evoque ? And recently I saw with my own eyes president of India mrs pratibha Patil who came in a safari for a function and iam sure she has many options to get a sedan yet she travelled in a safari this also does give a impression that a suv can be comfortable and relaxing too .

S class + 1000 for a 2 seater coupe but unfortunately it won't come in a price band south of 10 lakhs because thats the price zone were people seek practicality and 2 seaters are not that practical compared to a sedan .

Thread Starter #380
S class + 1000 for a 2 seater coupe but unfortunately it won't come in a price band south of 10 lakhs because thats the price zone were people seek practicality and 2 seaters are not that practical compared to a sedan .
+1 about sedan being practical but those who want to buy a 2nd car or know that they won't be travelling 2+ seats for more than 90% of times, they may well go for it & it will be a hit for those who are young at heart [;)]. Tata has already shown its concept coupe & convertible. Lets see how market takes off for this.

Attachments

+1 about sedan being practical but those who want to buy a 2nd car or know that they won't be travelling 2+ seats for more than 90% of times, they may well go for it & it will be a hit for those who are young at heart [;)]. Tata has already shown its concept coupe & convertible. Lets see how market takes off for this.
My god I never saw this concept that is truely stunning if tata launches it I will surely buy it in a hot red clour .

I feel sedan's lack that go any were ability of an SUV, but sedans are far more maneuverable or easier to handle in tight city traffic and easier to fit in a small parking lot. But yes but if you are carrying more than 5 pax + bad dirt road its an SUV for sure the Ground clearance and 4X4 stuff, it matter here. So both have there pros and cons. Lets accept it.
And chant " Inner peace"[angel]

Don't off-roader require more power & torque ?
Who told you that only V10s & V12s have adequate power?

By the way, internationally Audi Q7 does comes with V10s & V12s. Why they wont come here is because India is a fuel efficiency sensitive market.

We are not taling about seating capacity but comfortable seating capacity. Please see the word COMFORTABLE. Now how many UVs can seat 5+ persons comfortably ? You yourself have mentioned that 3rd row isn't much useful.
See, its simple.

In sedans, you have the option of seating 4 comfortably or seating 5 with some discomfort.

In SUVs, you have the option of seating 4 comfortably, seating 5 with some discomfort or seating 7 with a little more discomfort.

See the utility here. If kids are sitting in the last row, there would be no discomfort.

So, these are somethings a sedan cant do.

You mean sedan like Accord is less comfy than innova ?
I wont compare an Innova to an Accord. I will compare an Innova to a Corolla/Cruze/Civic because I am sane enough to compare cars in similar segments. Yes, I am more comfortable in the Innova.

UVs comfort is indeed cattle class. What's wrong in that.
Only you have such limited thinking my friend.

Travel in some good sedans & you will know what you missed in UVs.
I have travelled in many sedans right from Indigo to Passat to 5 series. If compared within the same segments, I like SUVs more.

Some things to focus here -
  • The 3rd row seats are jump seats & not front facing ones. Hence, you were able to load the goods without folding the seats like Safari. Have front facing 3rd row seats (which is what you prefer) & then see,

• Are you aware that the Scorpio comes with a fully double folding third row seat? I am sure you are not. Anyways, so in case of a front facing third row, I would have got more space! Also, the third row is removable in the Scorpio.

That's the utility sedans cant match.

[*]There is no-one who will sit in 2nd row. Had there been passengers here, there head would have been crushed with those bags falling on them,
    For your kind information, there was a tall & well built person sitting in the middle row. And nothing happened to his head. Dont exaggerate just for the heck of a debate please.

[*]Essentially, the pics put up you show how UV can be used as pick-up truck as with these many goods, only driver + 1 will be able to sit in it.
    In my Scorpio, along with this luggage, 3 people including driver were sitting comfortably.

[*]When comparo with car, you should compare 4 person with luggage as I doubt 2 persons will ever require so many bags while traveling,
    If you remove the 3 suitcases from the 2nd row, 4 people can easily sit. Anyways, a sedan cant even take the amount of baggage placed in the boot of my Scorpio.

[*]Most importantly, these pics are clicked when UV is stationary. I would like to see what the situation of the goods is once it reaches its destination after traveling several kms.
Nothing happened.

UV = Mass mover with goods having or not having direct relation with the passengers , in short pick-up truck.
Just by calling SUVs/MUVs as pick up trucks, you cant have a constructive debate my friend.

Say something wise, if you can.

Winger. Not a single UV can seat 8 people in comfy.
I have been in a Winger. It was so damn uncomfortable that I would choose even a Xylo over the Winger.

And how many family buyers would like to own a Winger?

OK. But we are the ones who treat humans different than goods.
So you mean, all SUV owners treat humans like goods?! Cmon S class, lets us see a bit more maturity in your posts. Dont just make pointless comparisons because you have to.

I would rather prefer hiring a Tata ace for 150-200 bucks, transport stuff like fertilizer in it & myself travel in my car.
Exactly. You would, right?

What about others who dont mind using their vehicles to the fullest?

Still there isn't much difference between the height of exhaust pipes.
LOLZ, there is a lot of difference in the height of the exhaust in an SUV & a sedan.

C'mon how can you compare car with a bike ? We are talking about 4 wheels with roof with no need to balance. Tomorrow if someone wants to go alone, he should walk or use unicycle or what ? [lol]
Funny right?

We feel the same when you compare SUVs with pick up trucks & add adjectives like "cattle class"!

S class I do agree with your many points though iam in favor of SUVs ( the reason I feel great siting with a high position seat seeing the road ahead with much clarity )
Since iam in a process of upgrading iam taking test rides of sedans and SUVs too I just loved the safari and aria with the kind of pleasure it gave me I found it much more satisfying then the verna and sunny the only sedan that come close to that kind of fun and pleasure was the new ford feista .
What I don't agree with you is when you say that SUVs are pick up trucks if that was a case then is Audi q7 also a pickup truck ? What about ranger rover evoque ? And recently I saw with my own eyes president of India mrs pratibha Patil who came in a safari for a function and iam sure she has many options to get a sedan yet she travelled in a safari this also does give a impression that a suv can be comfortable and relaxing too .
Please dont try brother. I explained the same to him many times, but the kind of replies I got were [frustration]

I feel sedan's lack that go any were ability of an SUV, but sedans are far more maneuverable or easier to handle in tight city traffic and easier to fit in a small parking lot. But yes but if you are carrying more than 5 pax + bad dirt road its an SUV for sure the Ground clearance and 4X4 stuff, it matter here. So both have there pros and cons. Lets accept it.
And chant " Inner peace"[angel]
+100.

Last edited:
Please dont try brother. I explained the same to him many times, but the kind of replies I got were
This is ridiculously boring thread here . now commenting has become embarrassing.
It is all repetition ,twisting and distorting same points for the sake of arguments .

Dear Raj,you should find time to make use of time for something sensible.. there are other better threads where your knowledge should be put for better use.

Thread Starter #389
By the way, internationally Audi Q7 does comes with V10s & V12s. Why they wont come here is because India is a fuel efficiency sensitive market.
Fuel efficiency does play part in India, no doubt but then we have Audi R8, so why can't audi get Q7 too ?

In sedans, you have the option of seating 4 comfortably or seating 5 with some discomfort.
+1

In SUVs, you have the option of seating 4 comfortably, seating 5 with some discomfort or seating 7 with a little more discomfort.
+1.
But as said in my post before, we are strictly talking about 'Comfortable Seating' only & not total no. of passengers.

See the utility here. If kids are sitting in the last row, there would be no discomfort.
+1. But why does one require SUV for this ? Even Innova or upcoming Maruti Ertiga should suffice.

I wont compare an Innova to an Accord. I will compare an Innova to a Corolla/Cruze/Civic because I am sane enough to compare cars in similar segments. Yes, I am more comfortable in the Innova.
OK. Fortuner Vs Superb.
Superb is comfy right ?

I have travelled in many sedans right from Indigo to Passat to 5 series. If compared within the same segments, I like SUVs more.
Yes, had this been not the case, we wouldn't have been debating at first place [;)].

That's the utility sedans cant match.
Yes, but sedans are based with focus of passenger & not goods (excluding luggage).

For your kind information, there was a tall & well built person sitting in the middle row. And nothing happened to his head. Dont exaggerate just for the heck of a debate please.
I would have appreciated if a pic with a person sitting there would also have been clicked. Would have helped in getting good picture.

In my Scorpio, along with this luggage, 3 people including driver were sitting comfortably.
Look, first seat passengers don't have to bother at all as they are right in front. Interested in seeing only the 2nd row daring guy.

If you remove the 3 suitcases from the 2nd row, 4 people can easily sit. Anyways, a sedan cant even take the amount of baggage placed in the boot of my Scorpio.
4 people mean 4 on 2nd row or 2+2 ?
And with the height at back, I am sure at bump or braking, the chances of bags sliding onto the 2nd row can't be ruled out.

Just by calling SUVs/MUVs as pick up trucks, you cant have a constructive debate my friend.
Even in US, the so called UVs are called 'trucks'.
I call a spade as a spade. Simple.

I have been in a Winger. It was so damn uncomfortable that I would choose even a Xylo over the Winger.
Oh, please don't exaggerate. And I am talking about 9 seater winger as you required 8 person capacity. This winger comes in 2x1 seating arrangement with recliner seats & dual AC. It beats xylo hands down.
Many members won't comment as all may not have sat in Winger. Check the pics below.

And how many family buyers would like to own a Winger?
It was clearly mentioned 'RENT'. Buy sedan & rent UV or winger.

So you mean, all SUV owners treat humans like goods?! Cmon S class, lets us see a bit more maturity in your posts. Dont just make pointless comparisons because you have to.
Please try to read between the lines. I always find strange why you take everything on face value only ?

What about others who dont mind using their vehicles to the fullest?
Ah, didn't I mention this is called 'Paisa Vasool' in my earlier posts about cargo in safari ? Please read posts carefully.

LOLZ, there is a lot of difference in the height of the exhaust in an SUV & a sedan.
But surely it isn't sufficient to avoid getting stuck in Mumbai deluge of 26th.

We feel the same when you compare SUVs with pick up trucks & add adjectives like "cattle class"!
There is a difference between 'Seating' & 'Stuffing'.
4-5 people sit, 7-8 are stuffed. Hence, cattle class.
BTW, do you know what is the meaning of 'Cattle Class' ?

Attachments

Fuel efficiency does play part in India, no doubt but then we have Audi R8, so why can't audi get Q7 too ?
Dude, please read what I had posted & try to understand that. Its futile repeating everything for you.

I would have appreciated if a pic with a person sitting there would also have been clicked. Would have helped in getting good picture.
I never knew I would be debating with you, else I would have clicked a pic with a person in that seat.

4 people mean 4 on 2nd row or 2+2 ?
2+2.

And with the height at back, I am sure at bump or braking, the chances of bags sliding onto the 2nd row can't be ruled out.
Nothing like that happens because of the height of the head rests.

Oh, please don't exaggerate. And I am talking about 9 seater winger as you required 8 person capacity. This winger comes in 2x1 seating arrangement with recliner seats & dual AC. It beats xylo hands down.
It does not... as winger does not have the ride quality nor the space of the Xylo. I had to stuggle with my legs in the Winger. Also, Winger's dual AC is like the one in the Sumo & Safari. A row of 4 AC vents right in the front row (aftermarket types). So the cooling is insufficient in the rear seats. It has very small tyres & has a harsh ride.

It was clearly mentioned 'RENT'. Buy sedan & rent UV or winger.
So inspite of having a big family, one should buy a sedan & rent out cabs every time they want to travel together... is that what you are saying?

Sadly, that does not work. If I am spending so much money on a car, I will buy one that suits all my needs... not just one that serves some purpose & I have to spend more money on a cab for the rest.

But surely it isn't sufficient to avoid getting stuck in Mumbai deluge of 26th.
I was stuck in the 26th July deluge in my 2003 Scorpio. I was on my way back home from Pune. Amidst all the stalled sedans & hatches, it was my Scorpio that bought me home.

Of course, like above, you will ask me for pics as proof which I dont have. While battling for life in that condition, I dint find it appropriate to stop & click pics of how the silencer is placed with respect to the water level.

There is a difference between 'Seating' & 'Stuffing'.
4-5 people sit, 7-8 are stuffed. Hence, cattle class.
BTW, do you know what is the meaning of 'Cattle Class' ?
On public demand, henceforth I will ignore senseless comments (according to me) & concentrate on constructive discussions only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom