Sedans v/s SUVs - Your Personal Pick?

Sedan or SUV

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In rural parts, I have seen Mahindra Commandar jeep carrying over 25 persons. Similar is case with Trax-Cruiser. Now shall we say these can be substituted for bus ? Ofcourse, if one can travel like a cattle class, then they will be comfortable even in tempos & 407.....sleeper coach .
how does rural matter?

i have seen people carry 7 - 8 persons in a honda city. the GC is just about 10mm for those cars. it is during these situations when an SUV provides better comfort.

Well. If you want a corner carving machine, you are better off with sedans.

But for relaxed driving, I prefer an SUV, both in cities as well as on the highways.
It looks like 'RELAXED DRIVING' has different meanings for you and me.Where for you relaxed driving means doing 80-90 kph for whole day(SUVs are really comfy at these speeds) while for me relaxed driving means ride,confident handling and very comfortable driving position where I can cover 600kms in one night.
Where you feel relaxed in SUVs I do in sedans.
Its a justification for the thread's title "SUVs Vs Sedans-'YOUR PERSONAL CHOICE'..[:)]

Parking depends on driver skill and how habituated he is with the car. I find no issues in parking an SUV. Parking is really a chore in Mumbai, still I have managed, so...
You are right,I too frequently drive Safari and Fortuner here and have a lot of experience with Innova too,but you must agree on one point that sedans are still easier to park as compared to SUVs.Parking a sedan is a lot more easy.
And about no issue..buddy even big buses and trucks can also find parking spots then what are SUVs?

Accelerate, well they can. Braking, you are right.
Accelerate and brake,they can do both but lacking in confidence.

As i said, the commanding driving position, the visibility, ability to gobble potholes, mile munching capabilities... I prefer the SUV.
I too prefer SUVs for these factors.

Then its simple. And that's what I said - sedans are not meant for tall people. You just said it.
For tall people like you who love to drive in a lot of 'OPEN' space,else rear seat of sedans can accomodate you and keep you pampered too.

LOLZ, driving an SUV is not like driving a bus. Please dont talk like 'S Class'!
I haven't said that they drive like a bus,but I have put a question mark on the position of steering wheel,its a bit too low as compared to those of sedans.

Maybe half dead. But they opt to travel like that. In sedans, even if you are okay with the discomfort, you cant seat 7 people. That's the point.
We have travelled 8 in my Laura once...and all were comfortable(not literally).Why?BECAUSE WE ARE FRIENDS..EVEN WE CAN ADD A NINTH PERSON TOO...IF YOU WANT TO TRAVEL WITH 8 GUYS IN A LAURA..

Not necessary. some may need to transport larger items like flower pots, etc.
My answer is rickshaws and pickup trucks..why should I spoil the interior or boot of my SUV be carrying such stuff?

It looks like 'RELAXED DRIVING' has different meanings for you and me.Where for you relaxed driving means doing 80-90 kph for whole day(SUVs are really comfy at these speeds) while for me relaxed driving means ride,confident handling and very comfortable driving position where I can cover 600kms in one night.
Where you feel relaxed in SUVs I do in sedans.
Its a justification for the thread's title "SUVs Vs Sedans-'YOUR PERSONAL CHOICE'..[:)]
+100.

You are right,I too frequently drive Safari and Fortuner here and have a lot of experience with Innova too,but you must agree on one point that sedans are still easier to park as compared to SUVs.Parking a sedan is a lot more easy.
Hmm, somehow the flat boot of SUVs & hatchbacks make me parking them easier, especially in reverse.

Anyways...

For tall people like you who love to drive in a lot of 'OPEN' space,else rear seat of sedans can accomodate you and keep you pampered too.
For rear seat people, more often than not, sedans are better. Unless you are in the rear seat of say, a safari or the likes. Even Innova with it's bucket seat options is very comfortable in the rear seat though.

We have travelled 8 in my Laura once...and all were comfortable(not literally).Why?BECAUSE WE ARE FRIENDS..EVEN WE CAN ADD A NINTH PERSON TOO...IF YOU WANT TO TRAVEL WITH 8 GUYS IN A LAURA..
If these same friends were in an SUV, they would have been more comfortable. You cant debate on the number of seats factor!

My answer is rickshaws and pickup trucks..why should I spoil the interior or boot of my SUV be carrying such stuff?
See, that's the point. In case of SUVs... I have a choice. I can carry 8 people easily, if the third row guys are ready to adjust. For sure, they will be more comfortable than the 8 guys in a Laura.

I can carry large objects if I dont mind dirtying the boot... There is a guy who bought a brand new Pajero sport for 30 Lacs. From the showroom, he took the brand new car straight to his yard & dumped in huge fertilizer cans in the boot to transport it. When asked why he spoiled the interiors of a brand new car, he said - its simple. Its because of these fertilizers that I can afford to pay the EMIs of this car! anyways, thats off topic.

Point is, I have that option in SUVs atleast. I dont have that option in sedans.

Hmm, somehow the flat boot of SUVs & hatchbacks make me parking them easier, especially in reverse.
In case of reverse parking,I find it difficult for both sedans and SUVs.Why?Because of high waistline of sedans and three rows of seats in SUVs,in other words you have to park both of them using ORVMs only(thankfully I am quite expert in this).What is issue with SUVs is that,while using ORVMs there is a quite big blind spot as compared to the sedans in case of SUVs.
As much I remember leave the Innova and I find it impossible to use the inner RVM of SUVs to park them.

For rear seat people, more often than not, sedans are better. Unless you are in the rear seat of say, a safari or the likes. Even Innova with it's bucket seat options is very comfortable in the rear seat though.
We had the Innova with bucket seats only and have already sold a Safari too.The issue is not with the seats,definitely Safari has got the sofa in the middle(better than nearly every sedan)the issue is with the rear suspension.While sedans maintain a flat composure the SUVs have a bumpy rear suspension which results in a comparatively less comfort and you can't ignore this point as it happens.In other words,I meant to say that its the suspension who is the culprit here,not the seats.

If these same friends were in an SUV, they would have been more comfortable. You cant debate on the number of seats factor!
+100,but comfort comes from friends not seats...you can't debate on emotional factor!!

See, that's the point. In case of SUVs... I have a choice. I can carry 8 people easily, if the third row guys are ready to adjust. For sure, they will be more comfortable than the 8 guys in a Laura.
You are definitely right,they will be far more comfy but this situation either never arises or if it arises then it will arise once in thousand trips,so why should I spoil my driving experience for that one trip out of a thousand?

I can carry large objects if I dont mind dirtying the boot... There is a guy who bought a brand new Pajero sport for 30 Lacs. From the showroom, he took the brand new car straight to his yard & dumped in huge fertilizer cans in the boot to transport it. When asked why he spoiled the interiors of a brand new car, he said - its simple. Its because of these fertilizers that I can afford to pay the EMIs of this car! anyways, thats off topic.

Point is, I have that option in SUVs atleast. I dont have that option in sedans.
No comments,our business is of construction,property dealing etc,we can carry hefty amounts and documents in the car,but we earn from construction business too but still I am not ready to carry TMT bars,cement bags or sand in my car either its a sedan or SUV!!

@vipul see every person has different mind . like me if i am buying car then that car must be used at 100% except showoff cars like i have corolla and BMW . If you have seen me in my safari you would have commit suicide . i carry lot of item 100kg normally to sometime 1Ton and why shouldn't i use them in the end i brought them to use else hatch are more then enough for any person whether he is Builder or business man or salary person or property dealer .

not to forget the famous monsoons in mumbai. low lying ares of the city get water logged upto knee height.followed by the potholes.

the higher GC of the SUVs helps in this case. have seen many of those sedans get stuck in water. so again in a city like mumbai an SUV is better.

Thread Starter #367
All I am saying is - parking should not be a factor of comparison between SUVs and sedans.
C'mon, it is day to day stuff which we do right ? And infact it is one of the biggest factor why people choose hatch over sedan in cities, despite sedan being better than hatch in all other respects right ?

If you cant park a car, it's your fault. Unlike a common parameter of comparison, like say ride quality, space, etc.
Issue is not whether one can park or not but ease of parking. Understand the difference between the two.

Again requesting - some logical debates please.
Air Resistance is a force. It is a force which act in the opposite direction that you are travelling (except in space, where air resistance is non-existent). It is caused by molecules of air colliding with an object, causing it to slow down and eventually stop. Air Resistance can also be known as drag.
Higher the air resistance, more is the coeff drag ratio of the vehicle, which leads to poor handling & bumpy rides.

Eg. Drive a Maruti SX4 at 80-90 kmph & let a truck pass near you, it won't affect you. Try this out in Omni & entire van will shake, especially with 1-2 person on board. At speeds above 80-85 kmph in omni, if you go above small bumpy surface, the front wheels literally are lifted a bit from the ground.

Similarly, take innova with luggage on roof carrier & when in speed when you go above the bump, see the difference. Also, the handling becomes very poorer than other-wise.

A comparo with you... Why? so that we can again have some more illogical comments like the ones above?
OK. Lets do this way. On your comparo in this particular thing, I won't comment. Lets other comment, OK ? Lets not drop vital issues because of our miscommunication on the forum.

V10s are found in supercars my friend.
Yes, but those are absent even in case like hummer.

SUVs are not meant for racing. By that logic, I would ask you -

which sedan has lockable differential?
which sedan has low ratio 4x4? (Please note I am not talking about AWD)
Again you got misguided. Engine issue is altogether different than vehicle. Fact is SUVs don't have powerful engines. ofcourse, it is because there aren't any super-SUVs. And there are also cases where engines are shared & hence I took this cylinder stuff in comparo.

Eg. Chevy Cruze (car) & Chevy Captiva (UV) both have same engine;
Even in Merc, the V6 350 Diesel is used in cars as well as UVs.

Can we discuss engine now ?

Understand that they are built for different purposes.
Agreed, but issue was of engine & not their use. I didn't even bring in 0-100 in comparo, did I ?

Wake up. Excessive sleep is injurious to health [;)].

An SUV can easily seat 5 people with lots of luggage unlike sedans where shoulder space is at a premium.
But that excess shoulder room is of no use in terms of additional comfort. The shoulder room provided by good sedans suffice.

We are a family of 5. Along with driver, it becomes 6 people. We can easily travel together in the Innova with lots of luggage space by folding half of the third row seat.
Earlier you said only 2-3 travel & now it became 6.
Such flip-flops can't lead to proper discussion.

Wait a minute. I am asking you how does it hamper ride quality... you still have not answered that.
Replied above, same post.

Who said? You are in some dream world dude. There are many prospective Innova & Scorpio customers out there who bought the XUV. I personally know many!
As you are limiting poll only to forum, lets talk about forum member choices only. Shall I show you how X5 was canceled for 5 series ?
Lets keep this limited to forum, else everything will become endless.

Infact Innova, Scorpio, Safari, Aria prospects buy XUV...
Yeah, everyone buys XUV. Some are even selling both the kidneys to buy XUV ! [lol]

Now that sedans lost the race, you want to bifurcate the poll resuts... LOLZ.
No, not at all. And I am least bothered even if sedan had got no a single vote.
This point of cross-over needs to be added as I came to know that some voted for SUV just because vehicles like innova & aria don't fall under sedan segment.

For me, SUVs are comfortable. Cant help with your great ideologies.
What has CHOICE to do with IDEOLOGIES ?
You find UV comfortable, some find car comfy & we are OK with that.

Even an SUV's rear seats fold down. Whatever you do, volume of an SUV's boot is much more than a sedan's. Its not rocket science to know that.
In real world, volume doesn't matter at all. What matters is the layout of the boot. Volume is useful for liquids & not solids & car or UV can't be used as tanker. Just because UV have more height, it doesn't mean one keeps goods so high that it keeps hitting 2nd row passengers head.

You are a bit stern when it comes down to your choices. You cant accept other's opinions. And that is the reason I debate strongly with you.
Across the forum, you are the one who keeps debating the most. Infact, some even said not to reply to your posts but problem is you comment without even reading entire posts & the context in which it was said.
The classic eg. is the one between you & Vipul where you yourself said that you haven't read all the posts but vipuls posts are not logical. What does this mean ??

But that's fine. Problem is - you take it as a responsibility to shove down your thinking down everyone else's throat. So if there is something you dont like or prefer, you start baseless arguments & even calling it names like crap, cattle class, goons, etc. Criticisms should be constructive.
In recent posts, omni was compared to that of kidnappers & goons. You raised no objection. When same is said for UV, you get angry. Don't practise double standards.

Have you heard me or any other member here using such words for sedans? We may have given you 1001 reasons why we dont prefer sedans but we have never used any strong words for it or it's owners.
Simple, because sedans (& hatches) don't have anything against them for some to say something.

There are many SUV/MUV owners here, who can object to your strong words here, can take it personally & even attack you in a similar way. But we have decided not to do that (through way of PMs). As we are not goons.
C'mon, I am there on multiple forums with different subjects. I am least bothered with criticism. What I would like to see is constructive criticism.
And do you mean I am goon ? Even yes, I don't care about it.
And there are many who voted for SUV, do you see I keep debating with them ?? No, as they never go off the track & views are balanced. It seems you are so obsessed with SUVs off-road capabilities that sometimes even the posts go off-road here !

If you dont like something, its fine. Keep debating on it. But make sure you use some logic for the debates. Your credibility on the forum is at stake. I have nothing else to say on this. It is your call in the end.
Let members judge the credibility as all of them are mature enough.
And next time, please pm me if you want to target me than my posts as there is no point in wasting valuable space & fellow member's time here. Peace.

Thread Starter #368
@vipul see every person has different mind . like me if i am buying car then that car must be used at 100% except showoff cars like i have corolla and BMW . If you have seen me in my safari you would have commit suicide . i carry lot of item 100kg normally to sometime 1Ton and why shouldn't i use them in the end i brought them to use else hatch are more then enough for any person whether he is Builder or business man or salary person or property dealer .
This is called as 'paisa vasool' way. And 1 ton goods in Safari ? [confused]
And several people buy UVs to do these things. Infact, I have seen scorpios having 2nd & 3rd row removed & used for transporting house-hold items !
But I disagree that corolla is show-off car, its just good proper sedan, nothing special.

not to forget the famous monsoons in mumbai. low lying ares of the city get water logged upto knee height.followed by the potholes.
+1.

the higher GC of the SUVs helps in this case. have seen many of those sedans get stuck in water. so again in a city like mumbai an SUV is better.
But for few days in an year, is it worth to compromise on ride, comfort, handling, performance for rest of the year ? It is like since it will rain in monsoons, keep wearing raincoats throughout the year !

Air Resistance is a force. It is a force which act in the opposite direction that you are travelling (except in space, where air resistance is non-existent). It is caused by molecules of air colliding with an object, causing it to slow down and eventually stop. Air Resistance can also be known as drag.
Higher the air resistance, more is the coeff drag ratio of the vehicle, which leads to poor handling & bumpy rides.
Yes, it does affect handling... but how does it affect ride quality is what I am asking!

Similarly, take innova with luggage on roof carrier & when in speed when you go above the bump, see the difference. Also, the handling becomes very poorer than other-wise.
There would be no difference in ride quality dude!

Yes, but those are absent even in case like hummer.
That is because Hummer is an off roader, why would it need a V10?

Again you got misguided. Engine issue is altogether different than vehicle. Fact is SUVs don't have powerful engines. ofcourse, it is because there aren't any super-SUVs. And there are also cases where engines are shared & hence I took this cylinder stuff in comparo.

Eg. Chevy Cruze (car) & Chevy Captiva (UV) both have same engine;
Even in Merc, the V6 350 Diesel is used in cars as well as UVs.
Why? why only compare engines?

When you can bring in V10s & W12s into SUVs, why not bring locable diffs & low ratios into sedans?

Because it is not built for that purpose, understand that.

Can we discuss engine now ?
Discuss everything. Not just one thing which favors sedans.

Agreed, but issue was of engine & not their use. I didn't even bring in 0-100 in comparo, did I ?
So if its not about acceleration, then why would a SUV or a sedan need a V10?

Wake up. Excessive sleep is injurious to health [;)].
you are right, but you are responsible for that!

But that excess shoulder room is of no use in terms of additional comfort. The shoulder room provided by good sedans suffice.
We are talking about how many it can seat. When it comes to seating even 5 people, SUVs are better than sedans.

Earlier you said only 2-3 travel & now it became 6.
Such flip-flops can't lead to proper discussion.
Please read my post carefully. I cant explain each & every statement to you over here.

I have stated that we are a family of 5. Along with driver, it becomes 6. So an innova can carry us comfortable (if we need to travel together), but a sedan cant.

But most of the time, 2-3 people travel in my car. Again we prefer the Innova instead of sedan as for tall people like us, sedans are not comfortable.

I again request you to go through my posts properly. I cant waste time explaining each & every post over here.

Replied above, same post.
You have replied how it affects handling... not how it affects ride quality.

Yeah, everyone buys XUV. Some are even selling both the kidneys to buy XUV ! [lol]
Never really said that.

But you maybe definitely knowing such guys with one kidney. Please ask them to join this forum. They can surely give your posts some company!

What has CHOICE to do with IDEOLOGIES ?
You find UV comfortable, some find car comfy & we are OK with that.
This is the reason I ask you to read my posts properly.

I mentioned your great ideologies when you said that SUV's comfort is "cattle class". Please dont waste the forum space for such simple things.

In real world, volume doesn't matter at all. What matters is the layout of the boot. Volume is useful for liquids & not solids & car or UV can't be used as tanker. Just because UV have more height, it doesn't mean one keeps goods so high that it keeps hitting 2nd row passengers head.
Not true. I have loaded so many bags in the Scorpio that it is impossible for any sedan to carry so many bags. Please note, here we have not even folded the third row seats or middle row seats. Nor have i removed the huge basstube. If I had done that, a lot more space would have come up.

07052009757.jpg

07052009759.jpg

07052009760.jpg

07052009761.jpg

The classic eg. is the one between you & Vipul where you yourself said that you haven't read all the posts but vipuls posts are not logical. What does this mean ??
Did I say its not logical? Please dont comment on unknown facts.

In recent posts, omni was compared to that of kidnappers & goons. You raised no objection. When same is said for UV, you get angry. Don't practise double standards.
Are you sure I saw that post?

And isnt it my choice on what to reply and what not to?!

Well, even if there is some post like that... why should I reply? I am not an Omni fan. I am an SUV fan. So?

Simple, because sedans (& hatches) don't have anything against them for some to say something.
See, this is where you fail. Broaden your thinking. And this is what I mean by affecting credibility. You have just proved what I had written above.

What I would like to see is constructive criticism.
I would have been glad if it was like that.

And do you mean I am goon ? Even yes, I don't care about it.
Nopes, I never said that.

Let members judge the credibility as all of them are mature enough.
And next time, please pm me if you want to target me than my posts as there is no point in wasting valuable space & fellow member's time here. Peace.
Its okay. No PMs with you. You are right. Lets not go off beat. I replied because you started giving me "advises". Its okay, lets move on.

But for few days in an year, is it worth to compromise on ride, comfort, handling, performance for rest of the year ? It is like since it will rain in monsoons, keep wearing raincoats throughout the year !
Only you see it as a compromise friend. Me and many others like me enjoy driving SUVs & we dont buy it just for one or two reasons.

Last edited:
atleast in mumbai the water logging happens in a flash .
A moment of 2-3 hours of continuous rains are enough to get the streets water logged upto 1-2 feet.
One can never anticipate such situations.
Just ask those who have survived the 26th july deluge.
Though that would be an extreme rarity but in such occurance SUVs is the vehicle you want to be in.
Also one does not buy cars for various seasonal patterns.
I am just counting the advantages of SUVs.

+100.

Here are the two points i was waiting for to make a debate.

1) A comfortable luxury car is not meant for carrying 8 people.That's what S class mentioned earlier as "Cattle Class". It should be done in a minibus or any kind [lol]

2) When carrying fertilizers, forget about large cans , even if it is a small packet, it will smell inside the cabin. Here helps the separate boot in a Sedan.

Last edited:

It seems you are a scorpio owner. Just notice this GC specs

Toyota Corolla Altis - 175mm
Hyundai Verna - 175mm
Mahindra Bolero - 180 mm
Mahindra Scorpio - 180 mm

Are you going for water polo with this 5mm extra clearance ?! [:D]

Umm.

This is getting into full throttle..

Earlier somebody accused the thread starter is in short of logic.
Now he is getting support from people who are by no way short of logic.

I liked SUVs and wanted to buy one. Last year when I was looking for a new car, I could not find an acceptable SUV and bought a budget Sedan as a stop gap arrangement.

Now thinking whether I really need SUV.

Let me escape [;)] before somebody jump on and roar that Manza is not a proper Sedan.

1) A comfortable luxury car is not meant for carrying 8 people.That's what S class mentioned earlier as "Cattle Class". It should be done in a minibus or any kind [lol]
For carrying 8 people, you would book a 25 seater mini bus?

Cmon, lets get practical.

2) When carrying fertilizers, forget about large cans , even if it is a small packet, it will smell inside the cabin. Here helps the separate boot in a Sedan.
Here we are talking about the practicality.

Please understand that if someone carries fertilizers in his car, he is ready to bear the smell in the cabin.

similarly, if 7-8 people are willing to travel together in one car, they are ready to bear some discomfort.

Please see the utility here.

It seems you are a scorpio owner. Just notice this GC specs

Toyota Corolla Altis - 175mm
Hyundai Verna - 175mm
Mahindra Bolero - 180 mm
Mahindra Scorpio - 180 mm

Are you going for water polo with this 5mm extra clearance ?! [:D]
LOLZ, you seriously think a Scorpio has just 5 mm more ground clearance than a Verna or an Altis? I mean, is it not evident when you look at the cars itself?

Ok, it goes like this -

GC of a car is measured from the lowest point in the car body. Normally, in sedans the lowest point is the exhaust or underbody plates. But in SUVs, there is something which sticks way below the floor panel, that is, the rear differential. But, even though the diff is just 180 mm off the ground, it never scrapes anything as it is on the rear axle, that is, in line with the rear wheels. So whenever the wheels oscillate vertically, the diff also moves along with them. So, in reality, the GC of a Scorpio or Bolero is much more than what is mentioned.

Its simple bro - just bend & look for the GC of a Scorpio & then a Verna.

but a car is meant to carry more than 2 people at the given time.
So if a person travels alone should he Then abandon his car and drive with a bike.
Or if 2 is the number why use a sedan , why not a proper 2 seat hatch or a coupe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom