Second Stint With Tata Tigor: XZ Plus (Petrol MT)

Thread Starter #1
Finally here I am sharing my ownership experience of Tigor petrol (xz plus, manual). I used to own Tigor AMT earlier, which was purchased in july-2018. Unfortunately in sept-19, there was flooding at my place in Pune. There was flash-flood like situation on that day which turned severe adding to already extended run of the Monsoon. About 25-30 people lost their lives and thousands of vehicles were damaged at various places in Pune. The nallah behind our colony got flooded and water entered in our lane. . Unfortunately, many cars were also damaged. My car was submerged upto 3/4th level. So I decided to go the insurance claim way. You can find more about it on my previous ownership page.

So I got the insurance amount at the year end. By then I had already started to research about the next car. My budget was around 8 lacs OTR.

Requirements - For me build quality/safety was the topmost criteria. So was looking for car with good build quality + ABS + 2 airbags. Apart from that, decided to go for manual this time. Previously AMT was bought because my wife was also going to use it often. But since it did not happen and I was enjoying manual drive more (from my santro experience earlier), I went for manual variant. Of course I'll be missing the convinience of automatic car inPune's growing traffic. Also the not-so-smooth AMT unit of Tigor played it's part as well in my decision, especially the jerkiness in lower gears. It was way better in upper gears! I had tried to get it resolved previously, bu I guess I was expecting too much for an AMT.

Options considered -
Tigor - As I was happy with my previous stint with Tigor, it was the first choice for me. Only consideration was to go for bs4 one or wait for bs6 one. Test drove the older version available at the showroom to get the feel of manual.

i20/Venue - Was looking for Venue too. The 1.2 petrol version was going about 8.5 OTR here in Pune. Went to a dealer here and checked Venue. Was keen on getting a TD but no veicle was available. Same was the case with i20. Though the SA promised TD after some days, it never happened. Thought I would get i20 TD at least, but no.

Freestyle - Like last time, this time also was very much interested in freestyle. Unfortunately no stock was available due to company supply policy due to bs6 norm changes. There was one TD vehicle available at one dealer. They offered the top-end titanium plus model at 7.5 lacs (9 lcs OTR). I must say that the dealership experience was very good with Ford. The SA was very co-operative while dealing. The TD was offered promptly and a long one covering highway and some bad roads as well. The engine, I must say, is really fun to drive. Very peppy. The car is certainly well built as compared to Maruti if not as good as Tata or VW. It's sibling, Aspire has scored 3 stars in ncap tests. One negative point was boot space, 257 litres. Was skeptical about the demo car. No information about new stock at that time.

Apart from these options, briefly considered Nexon, ecosport as well. But the thought of FE in city driving put these options behind, as most of my driving would be in city traffic only, that too heavy traffic in Pune.

The buying experience

Finally after a lot of thinking, decided to stick with Tigor. [:)] Again it was lot of dilemma between Tigor and Freestyle. With the offers on bs4, I got discount of 50k, making it 7.84 OTR. As the top-end xz plus was available in my bidget, decided to go for that variant. It has nice features such as new touchscreen system, auto AC, Auto-fold ORVMs which were missing in my xza earlier. Did a proper PDI with the help of TAI checklist. Decided to go with roman silver color which was introduced with last year's facelift version.

The buying experience was good this time as well, though there were some delays even after making full payment. Thankfully nothing major and I got my Tigor delivered on 17th of January -

My and my father taking delivery of the car -
Screenshot_20200213-220458~2-01.jpeg

Welcome home :)
New Tigor.jpeg

The side profile
Screenshot_20200213-222201~2-01.jpeg

while buying, there was a nice cake-cutting organized by the SA and also got some chocolates from them. I also gave some chocolates to the SA. All the paperwork was done properly. Received my fastag as well. The only glitch was it was given later as the concerned person was not available at that time. Also the owner's manual is not received till date but I downloaded the online version.

Accessories and Insurance

For the accessories, as this was the top-end one, most of the bells and whistless were already present. Got myself the basic ones like mud flaps, mats, bumper protectors, steering cover, door beadings and Ganesh idol fitted.

For insurance, the first thing I did was to get the return to invoice (RTI) add-on. It basically ensures that you have invoice price covered in case of total loss situations like fire, flood, theft etc. Will recommend this add-on for everyone so that if at all any unfortunate events happen, your loss will be covered better. The cost is somewhat around Rs. 1500, which is not too much considering the protection it gives. Apart from that added engine cover and zero dep too.

The driving experience

As mentioned earlier, shifting from automatic to manual was not at all problematic for me. Anyway there was a gap of 3-4 months between the two cars. The manual one felt more peppier at least in lower gears as compared to AMT. Of course with manual I'll be losing the convinience of AMT here. Rest it was easy to get used to drive it. Now one good thing with manual is that, while passing over speed breakers, I can keep the car in second gear with the speed of 10-12. Earlier with AMT, it used to downshift quickly to 1st gear in such cases, increasing jerkiness.

Here is how the new digital instrument cluster looks. Personally I like the analog one more, though will get used to it now. This is the FE I got while on the first trip from Pune to Karjat, 28.4. So in actual it can be 25. Was strictly following run-period instructions. Speed below 80, RPM not above 2k. Still I think it is nice FE before first servicing.
Screenshot_20200213-225155~2.png

That's it at the moment from me. I would really like to thank fellow TAI members especially Vinodji, Mayankji, Nairji, Vicky Joshi for their valuable inputs during buying and also their guidance from time to time. I'll keep updating this post and of-course more photos will follow soon. [:)]

Regards,
Bhushan

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Congratulations once again. Nice and brief review. IMO, you should add some more photographs (though we all know/seen many photos of Tigor) which will beautify this review.[clap]

Frankly, it is a proud moment for you - as you lost one Tigor (to natural calamities) but again gone for same brand that's too within a gap of 2 years - Tata should give you a special reward for keeping faith on their car. ![cheers]

Thread Starter #4
Congratulations once again. Nice and brief review. IMO, you should add some more photographs (though we all know/seen many photos of Tigor) which will beautify this review.
Thanks a lot Nairji. Sure, I'll add some more photos soon. Planning to add more photos of the new IC as well as the touchscreen system.

Frankly, it is a proud moment for you - as you lost one Tigor (to natural calamities) but again gone for same brand that's too within a gap of 2 years - Tata should give you a special reward for keeping faith on their car. !
Hehe. Thanks. [:)]
Yep, as my previous experience was good with Tigor, thought to have another go at it. Barring few niggles, I did not face any major issue then.

Congrats for the new car.Drive safely.
How come two threads are running on the forum with the same title?
OP is same in both the threads
Thanks a lot Mayankji. Yeah, the post got duplicated somehow. Believe me, I have not purchased third Tigor. [;)]
I've asked mods to remove the other duplicate one. Will keep only this post updated.[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Great buddy! It is indeed a good car and even in my 2 year ownership of Tigor I had never faced major issues of any sort. May you have long and happy ownership this time with the Tigor. Do post more details and enjoy the driving.

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #7
Done with the first service today. There were no complaints from my side. Just faced the same thing like last time. The front bumper guards started to come off at the edges. [;)] Got those rectified.

Not much work apart from that besides fluids top up. Also got the basic body quoting done. The cost was around 1200. I'll share some more pics in the daylight tomorrow.

Screenshot_20200222-071814~2-01.jpeg

Thread Starter #8
Some more pics.

This is how the new digital IC looks when ignition is turned on. It shows RPM and fuel bars on each sides, as well as temperature bar at the top. Apart from that, it shows various warning light indicators, seatbelt reminder, speed, driving modes, and distance covered. Below speed, it also has insta FE (good to see the size of insta FE bar has decreased as compared to the earlier one. You pay more attetion to the driving now. [;)]) Same like earlier one, it also has two trip meters.
IMG_20200222_184142-01-01.jpeg

This is the new touchscreen system. It is quite nice and fairly responsive.
IMG_20200222_184156-01(1).jpeg

Thsi is the menu or home. As you can see, it is equipped with android auto and apple car play. You need to use the cord in order to use android auto.
IMG_20200222_184218-01.jpeg

Finally here I am sharing my ownership experience of Tigor petrol (xz plus, manual). I used to own Tigor AMT earlier, which was purchased in july-2018. Unfortunately in sept-19, there was flooding at my place in Pune. There was flash-flood like situation on that day which turned severe adding to already extended run of the Monsoon. About 25-30 people lost their lives and thousands of vehicles were damaged at various places in Pune. The nallah behind our colony got flooded and water entered in our lane. . Unfortunately, many cars were also damaged. My car was submerged upto 3/4th level. So I decided to go the insurance claim way. You can find more about it on my previous ownership page.

So I got the insurance amount at the year end. By then I had already started to research about the next car. My budget was around 8 lacs OTR.

Requirements - For me build quality/safety was the topmost criteria. So was looking for car with good build quality + ABS + 2 airbags. Apart from that, decided to go for manual this time. Previously AMT was bought because my wife was also going to use it often. But since it did not happen and I was enjoying manual drive more (from my santro experience earlier), I went for manual variant. Of course I'll be missing the convinience of automatic car inPune's growing traffic. Also the not-so-smooth AMT unit of Tigor played it's part as well in my decision, especially the jerkiness in lower gears. It was way better in upper gears! I had tried to get it resolved previously, bu I guess I was expecting too much for an AMT.

Options considered -
Tigor - As I was happy with my previous stint with Tigor, it was the first choice for me. Only consideration was to go for bs4 one or wait for bs6 one. Test drove the older version available at the showroom to get the feel of manual.

i20/Venue - Was looking for Venue too. The 1.2 petrol version was going about 8.5 OTR here in Pune. Went to a dealer here and checked Venue. Was keen on getting a TD but no veicle was available. Same was the case with i20. Though the SA promised TD after some days, it never happened. Thought I would get i20 TD at least, but no.

Freestyle - Like last time, this time also was very much interested in freestyle. Unfortunately no stock was available due to company supply policy due to bs6 norm changes. There was one TD vehicle available at one dealer. They offered the top-end titanium plus model at 7.5 lacs (9 lcs OTR). I must say that the dealership experience was very good with Ford. The SA was very co-operative while dealing. The TD was offered promptly and a long one covering highway and some bad roads as well. The engine, I must say, is really fun to drive. Very peppy. The car is certainly well built as compared to Maruti if not as good as Tata or VW. It's sibling, Aspire has scored 3 stars in ncap tests. One negative point was boot space, 257 litres. Was skeptical about the demo car. No information about new stock at that time.

Apart from these options, briefly considered Nexon, ecosport as well. But the thought of FE in city driving put these options behind, as most of my driving would be in city traffic only, that too heavy traffic in Pune.

The buying experience

Finally after a lot of thinking, decided to stick with Tigor. [:)] Again it was lot of dilemma between Tigor and Freestyle. With the offers on bs4, I got discount of 50k, making it 7.84 OTR. As the top-end xz plus was available in my bidget, decided to go for that variant. It has nice features such as new touchscreen system, auto AC, Auto-fold ORVMs which were missing in my xza earlier. Did a proper PDI with the help of TAI checklist. Decided to go with roman silver color which was introduced with last year's facelift version.

The buying experience was good this time as well, though there were some delays even after making full payment. Thankfully nothing major and I got my Tigor delivered on 17th of January -

My and my father taking delivery of the car -
View attachment 270359

Welcome home :)
View attachment 270363

The side profile
View attachment 270360
while buying, there was a nice cake-cutting organized by the SA and also got some chocolates from them. I also gave some chocolates to the SA. All the paperwork was done properly. Received my fastag as well. The only glitch was it was given later as the concerned person was not available at that time. Also the owner's manual is not received till date but I downloaded the online version.

Accessories and Insurance

For the accessories, as this was the top-end one, most of the bells and whistless were already present. Got myself the basic ones like mud flaps, mats, bumper protectors, steering cover, door beadings and Ganesh idol fitted.

For insurance, the first thing I did was to get the return to invoice (RTI) add-on. It basically ensures that you have invoice price covered in case of total loss situations like fire, flood, theft etc. Will recommend this add-on for everyone so that if at all any unfortunate events happen, your loss will be covered better. The cost is somewhat around Rs. 1500, which is not too much considering the protection it gives. Apart from that added engine cover and zero dep too.

The driving experience

As mentioned earlier, shifting from automatic to manual was not at all problematic for me. Anyway there was a gap of 3-4 months between the two cars. The manual one felt more peppier at least in lower gears as compared to AMT. Of course with manual I'll be losing the convinience of AMT here. Rest it was easy to get used to drive it. Now one good thing with manual is that, while passing over speed breakers, I can keep the car in second gear with the speed of 10-12. Earlier with AMT, it used to downshift quickly to 1st gear in such cases, increasing jerkiness.

Here is how the new digital instrument cluster looks. Personally I like the analog one more, though will get used to it now. This is the FE I got while on the first trip from Pune to Karjat, 28.4. So in actual it can be 25. Was strictly following run-period instructions. Speed below 80, RPM not above 2k. Still I think it is nice FE before first servicing.
View attachment 270362

That's it at the moment from me. I would really like to thank fellow TAI members especially Vinodji, Mayankji, Nairji, Vicky Joshi for their valuable inputs during buying and also their guidance from time to time. I'll keep updating this post and of-course more photos will follow soon. [:)]

Regards,
Bhushan
Congratulations buddy, and must say you are in love with Tigor that you went again for the same.

My family have Freestyle and after driving that car, don't feel like driving my Tigor again [frustration], leaps difference in pickup.

Thread Starter #10
Congratulations buddy, and must say you are in love with Tigor that you went again for the same.
Thanks buddy. Yes, as I had a nice experience with Tigor earlier, thought let's have it again. Just a change with manual transmission now. [:)]
My family have Freestyle and after driving that car, don't feel like driving my Tigor again [frustration], leaps difference in pickup.
Completely agree on this! [:D] Though I'm a sedate driver and Tigor suits my driving style, FS is very fun to drive. I'll also consider it in near future, as a second car, if required. [:)]

Thread Starter #11
Just came back from a trip to the coastal part of Maharashtra i.e. Kokan. Visited Kolthare and Ratnagiri to be precise. Ratnagiri being my in-laws place, we visit there 2-3 times a year. This time it was with my new Tigor. [:)] It was total of 819 kms on Journey on many types of roads like city, 4-lane highway, ghats, narrow rural roads, bumpy roads etc. With full boot, ac on for around 40-50% of time and three of us (including my 2.5 yrs old daughter) I got the FE of 19-20 as per odo reading. So in actual it could be around 17-18. I still consider it good considering the freshness of engine (1k before this trip), full boot adding extra weight and some really bad roads travelled on. Anyway, let's not consider FE only. [;)]

The gmap worked well on Android auto. No lag observed. It has to be connected through the cable to the USB port.

As always, the car was rock solid on highway speeds (I don't do 100+). On some climbs I felt like missing the sports mode from the AMT, but it was not too bad. The suspension could be softened a bit. I'll ask for it during my next visit to the SC (I had done that with xza too and it had worked well). I was bit skpetic about the common issues like burning smell at higher speeds/RPMs but fortunately I did not face it. Yes, the dashboard rattling was there on some bad roads. May be adding some extra weight near the Ganesh idol would be helpful here. Overall it was very satisfying experience on the trip.

Let me share some pics here. All shots taken with my Nokia 8.1. Hope you like it -

Started from home at 6 am to avoid traffic as it was Sunday.
IMG_20200308_062641.jpg

Stayed at Kolthare. Booked a room at beach resort. The sea was right in the backyard of the resort garden.
IMG_20200308_155114.jpg

The Kolthare beach
IMG_20200308_185304~2.jpg

After spending 2 days there, it was time to head to Ratnagiri. Took the ferry from Dabhole to Dhopave save time. Here is our ride enjoying a ride for herself in a ferry boat [:D] -
IMG_20200310_095435~2.jpg

At Pawas, near Ratnagiri -
IMG_20200313_104526-01.jpg

Some photography at a beach -
IMG_20200309_182734 (2).jpg

At a small temple near my in-laws house-
IMG_20200311_093611-01.jpg

Another small temple on a hill nearby. Wanted to take Tigor here too but couldn't. It could fit properly in the foreground. Next time may be :) -
IMG_20200312_080155-01.jpeg

Tigor doing some modelling for me ;) -
IMG_20200313_180917-01.jpg

A sunset through the ORVM -
IMG_20200313_182921-01.jpeg

So few things on mind for next SC visit are -

1. Get suspension to soften a bit.
2. Check if something can be done to increase pick-up a bit.
3. May be good to ask for some additional insulation as well (the one in boot is missing since the last year facelift)
4. A rear right door not locking with remote key.

Any suggestions on the above points are always welcome. :)

Attachments

Hey Bhushan,

The Pics look superb , congratulations.

Can you post few pics of rear seat . I am looking forward to replace my WagonR now.
have kept Tigor, Altroz(XE+Rhythem), NExon XE in my search list; will fianlize once back to Pune .

~Bimlendra

Thread Starter #15
Hey Bhushan,

The Pics look superb , congratulations.

Can you post few pics of rear seat . I am looking forward to replace my WagonR now.
have kept Tigor, Altroz(XE+Rhythem), NExon XE in my search list; will fianlize once back to Pune .

~Bimlendra
Sure Bimlendra, will post it tomorrow. The rear seat is good and comfortable during long trips as well (6-7 hours).

Top Bottom