Second Hand Sumo Grande vs Mahindra Bolero ZLX

bhvm

Honoured Member
I don't mind the older safari
I hope you know how old school Safari behaves.
Body roll. Extra soft Suspension (like volvo bus). Nosedive under heavy braking, Steering play, Huge turning radius, etc.
If you know this then its ok.
Storme behaves differently.
the 2.2 Dicor engine done about 1 L + kms will hold up
2.2 engine is AVL developed which is also being used in XUV 500, Scorpio and its own sibling the storme. There are few changes here and there, but block is Same.
Its 2179CC block Making 140 to 156 BHP in Safari/ Storme
And 140 to 155 in XUV. 120 to 140 in Scorp.
So its a famous engine.

This engine easily lasts 2~3 lac kms with care. (Some Taxi xylos have done some nice mileage)

If you get the older 3.0L dicor (Truck engine), 5 lac kms easily.

BTW, my toy
“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

Last edited:
Thread Starter #17
I hope you know how old school Safari behaves.
Body roll. Extra soft Suspension (like volvo bus). Nosedive under heavy braking, Steering play, Huge turning radius, etc.
If you know this then its ok.
Storme behaves differently.

2.2 engine is AVL developed which is also being used in XUV 500, Scorpio and its own sibling the storme. There are few changes here and there, but block is Same.
Its 2179CC block Making 140 to 156 BHP in Safari/ Storme
And 140 to 155 in XUV. 120 to 140 in Scorp.
So its a famous engine.

This engine easily lasts 2~3 lac kms with care. (Some Taxi xylos have done some nice mileage)

If you get the older 3.0L dicor (Truck engine), 5 lac kms easily.

BTW, my toy
“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods
I don't think it would be a big issue. But still I will get a test drive before I buy a vehicle. It seems that not many can say wrong about Safari which is a classic. I just wish I could get some individual responses. So far, I've not got much response. Even individual sellers on websites are not returning calls (even after sending a message).

Thread Starter #19
Well the idea of a Safari was dropped by my in-laws after they consulted a local mechanic who explained about the cost of maintenance and fuel economy especially for older Safari with higher running kms. It seems from what they inquired that Safari can lead to big costs unexpectedly if the vehicle is not periodically maintained. So for now, they are still looking for a 2nd hand 7-seater but with cheaper maintenance and a more frugal engine. I will get back on this.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Well Thats a bummer.
Thats because local mechaincs do not know squat about Safari. Larger TATA showrooms are better.

BTW let me remind you, Maintainance of my Safari is HALF compared to my XUV 500. And Reliablity & Comfort is TWICE as much. Plus, Can you guess the FE of my Safari, That too a 4x4?

Not totally sure about it but you might check out with cars 24*7. Bhvm I knew that xuv etc's engine was developed by AVL but never knew that the same is being used in Storme! I thought it was developed by Tata like the Indica, Tiago's(Tiago partnered with Bosch but mainly developed by Tata) engine.

If not maintained, even an Alto would make you shell out ₹₹. If maintained properly, even the big boys are gentle on pocket. Recently i made mistake of buying a wrongly maintained Tata manza and have spent almost 40-50k on repairs.
If i was at your place i won't even look at any other option than used Safari 2.2 or used Scorpio 2009-2010.
You can even look at old model Endeavour of around 2007.

Safari's have low resale and you can get a 2.2 vtt dicor 2012 for around 3-3.5 lacs in my state (Punjab, the land of safaris). This could be due to fact that here you can see more Safaris than alto's (yes!!) Try hard and tell them to get a safari . A black safari would have more road presence than 2 Fortuners !! ( No offence to fortuner owners.)

Thread Starter #25
Actually going around and seeing the used car market a bit, they have decided to increase the budget and go for a used Toyota Innova (around 2014-15 model) having lesser than 1 L kms from ToyotaUtrust. I think considering the ease of driving and the Toyota brand trust factor, it is a good option. I agree that Safari is a good choice, but on second thoughts my father-in-law would struggle a bit to drive it around the town (they won't always have a driver - only on occasions for longer drives and when I am not around). After a short test drive from a used car dealer with a Safari Storme 2014 model I thought it is better they get a vehicle that handles more like a car.

Last edited:
Yes actually safari is not a car, its a truck. And yes, innova can prove to be a safer bet considering the car would be driven by your father in law. Have seen innovas complete 2-3 lakh kilometres without engine overhaul.
But even then, do check the car you finalise with every aspect. According to my knowledge, I have seen innovas having rust so check out everything properly.
Best of luck for your purchase.

Thread Starter #28
Innova prices are simply ABSURD!
Considering you have simply doubled the budget, You are in territory of Very mint condition, Sparsely used XUV 500 AWD, which I would pick up without a blink.
Thanks. I agree that Innova commands a premium pricing even for used cars, but at the same time, it will also retain a fair bit of resale value also down the line. Further I hadn't considered the XUV 500 given their initial budget, but at this stage, the decision has been taken and I don't want to confuse things further. Besides, my mother-in-law is quite fond of Innova, so there is a bit of an aspiration there.

Thread Starter #29
Well, folks. There is a twist in this tale. After months of searching used cars, we couldn't find anything really of value considering the price asked. Toyota Innova used cars are insanely priced even for 1 L Kms driven vehicle. So we decided to take brand new Etios Liva diesel at a lesser price commanded by some Innovas. We sacrified the 7 seater requirement since the 7 seater requirement would be needed only on rare occasions. Considering everything my in-laws have purchased the Etios Liva. On road around 8.4 L.

Colourtclassic grey and VD variant. Additionally we got the reverse camera installed since my father in law would be driving and he requires the parking assistance of reverse camera.

Last edited:

Top Bottom