Second Hand Sumo Grande vs Mahindra Bolero ZLX

Thread Starter #1
My in-laws are looking for a second hand car for family use (for 7-8 people) and for occasional highway journeys and require a comfortable car. So far they have identified two cars (both used) - Tata Sumo Grande and Mahindra Bolero ZLX (2012 models both done around 1 Lakh kms, single owner) and the asking price is around 5.75 lakhs for the Bolero and around 3.75 lakhs for the Grande.

Which would be a better option. My in-laws are leaning towards the Grande, since the back seats are proper seats while in Bolero it is the side seating which is really uncomfortable. Should I ask them to go ahead with the Grande? Are there any known issues for this model or is it a safe purchase? Also what would be maintenance on both, since the vehicles have done around 1 lakh kms.

I have not personally seen the cars, as my in laws are in Salem and I am in Chennai. But have promised to get back on this. So requesting your help with this.

Thread Starter #3
I would suggest better try to find a used Xylo. Sumo Grande has stopped long ago and Bolero is just too crude.
I was also thinking Xylo. Which variant would you suggest? Looking for a budget of within 5.5L max. Not older than 2011 model.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
I was also thinking Xylo. Which variant would you suggest? Looking for a budget of within 5.5L max. Not older than 2011 model.
You may get relatively new and less abused Maruti Ertiga or Honda Mobilio in that budget. Have you considered it?

Drive Safe,
350Z

I am not sure of the variants. You can find out. My inlaws purchased a 75K run Xylo and used it till 1.8L kms until it met with a major accident (driven by father in laws friend) and went for scrap. Mileage was not that great but it was comfortable as well as reliable. Xylo is a work horse.

Thread Starter #7
They looked at a Xylo E8 2009 model today, done about a lakh and a quarter kms, and in good condition, asking price is 5.5 lakhs. Is it a good price or too high?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Tata Sumo Grande and Mahindra Bolero ZLX (2012 models both done around 1 Lakh kms, single owner) and the asking price is around 5.75 lakhs for the Bolero and around 3.75 lakhs for the Grande.
Something is wrong with your research. I hope they are not checking with used car dealers as they have very fat margins.
5.75 Is ABSURD for old bolero, which is very crude and agricultural.
3.75 for a Grande which was never successful, out of production, bouncy car is also quite absurd.
If you look hard, 3 to 4L is the price for a 2010 to 2012 Safari, 4 to 5L for Ford endy (older ones).
Search on OLX, you will be surprised.
Are there any known issues for this model or is it a safe purchase? Also what would be maintenance on both, since the vehicles have done around 1 lakh kms.
Sumos were known for high body roll and lack of safety. Also the brakes were poor. Other than that engines are very reliable and Maintainance is very low.
I would suggest better try to find a used Xylo.
Xylo is a workhorse ( I searched for xylo myself last year).
But it has taxi Image and bouncy ride quality. Some early gen cars would topple and body roll was too much.
Now that Xylo is superseded with Marrazo, it would be better to leave it sleeping.

Bolero is just too crude.
Yup. Farm/ Rural UV
Looking for a budget of within 5.5L max
Search for Safari. Never seen something that is so safe, so powerful and so comfortable in that budget.
Mod the last row with fortuner seats.
asking price is 5.5 lakhs. Is it a good price or too high?
Price is absurd.
If you can stretch to 6.5 lacs, you can have 1st gen XUV.
Which simply destroys all other options out of the water entirely. No chance.

I fully agree with bhvm. Whatever prices you have quoted are absurd and too high. Try to get a lower run car (preferably < 1L kms). XUV/Safari would be better options.

Thread Starter #10
Something is wrong with your research. I hope they are not checking with used car dealers as they have very fat margins.
5.75 Is ABSURD for old bolero, which is very crude and agricultural.
3.75 for a Grande which was never successful, out of production, bouncy car is also quite absurd.
If you look hard, 3 to 4L is the price for a 2010 to 2012 Safari, 4 to 5L for Ford endy (older ones).
Search on OLX, you will be surprised.

Sumos were known for high body roll and lack of safety. Also the brakes were poor. Other than that engines are very reliable and Maintainance is very low.

Xylo is a workhorse ( I searched for xylo myself last year).
But it has taxi Image and bouncy ride quality. Some early gen cars would topple and body roll was too much.
Now that Xylo is superseded with Marrazo, it would be better to leave it sleeping.

Yup. Farm/ Rural UV

Search for Safari. Never seen something that is so safe, so powerful and so comfortable in that budget.
Mod the last row with fortuner seats.

Price is absurd.
If you can stretch to 6.5 lacs, you can have 1st gen XUV.
Which simply destroys all other options out of the water entirely. No chance.
Thanks I had not considered Safari earlier, but now suggested it. I checked a few websites yesterday and agree that the prices quoted are too high. But I haven't had much time to look into it. Also since they are in Salem and I am in Chennai, I am doing research at my end, but not had much time to look into this. Definitely I think Safari is a far superior vehicle to Xylo and I have advised them to check for Safari at this price range.

Also I doubt whether the budget can be stretched beyond 5.5 L.
I fully agree with bhvm. Whatever prices you have quoted are absurd and too high. Try to get a lower run car (preferably < 1L kms). XUV/Safari would be better options.
I agree, but XUV seems a bit out of budget, but Safari seems a better option. But I need to convince them on this point. I have told them to not look at Bolero or Grande.

Thread Starter #11
I'm finding it quite tough to locate a decent deal on a Safari Storme model which is 2013-14. Most of the 2nd hand sites seem to have only the 2.2 dicor model and that too quoting quite a high price (5 L + for 2012-13 models). Is this reasonable? I have convinced them to go for Safari, but the asking rate seems a bit higher. I don't know how far the owners will negotiate. Tried asking a few dealers too, but model which I am looking for is not available.

Thread Starter #13
Which state are you in?
The prices are not as high as you mention.
I am in Tamil Nadu. Finding used Safari Stormes is proving quite difficult and that too within the price range desired. Most of the vehicles for sale are the old Dicor model. For Safari Storme I am finding quoted prices upward of 5.75 - 6 L only (For the early 2013 model, not the newer ones).

I even called a couple of dealers, but none of them have any Safari models available at the moment.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Finding used Safari Stormes is proving quite difficult and that too within the price range desired. Most of the vehicles for sale are the old Dicor model.
DiCOR is what I will call the Original Safari. Its a heavier, Much higher quality product. It has an old school feel which people love or loate. Storme will be safer bet for general use.

Safari Storme I am finding quoted prices upward of 5.75 - 6 L only (For the early 2013 model, not the newer ones).
Quoted 5.5 means you can easily negotiate between 4.75 to 5L. That would be a fair price for early storme.
You will not find stormes much later than 2014 model in that price. 2015+ ones retail for 7 to 9 lac which is still a steal considering storme top end used to cost 20L on road till the last stocks.
I even called a couple of dealers, but none of them have any Safari models available at the moment.
Don't bother with dealers.
None are interested in Safari.

Safari strome single owner VX model

Safari storme VX

Thread Starter #15
I don't mind the older safari, if the engine will be reliable and won't give trouble and it may save a lakh or two. I am quite happy with the old school Safari but only worried whether the 2.2 Dicor engine done about 1 L + kms will hold up. Yes, I also feel that dealers seem to be disinterested in this model. But problem is that, I don't have the time for going round to meet individual sellers and most of the time, they are unresponsive over phone even for giving basic details or their expectation. Even in Chennai, considering my job and routine it is quite hard to find the time. I am hoping to find the time to finalize a deal before this week is up though.

Top Bottom