Scorpio 2.6 Non Crde - Crossed 1.8 lakh kms!

1 lac and 80K on any Indian brand is real good news!!
I got about 70K on bridgestones in my Alto, but that was the most I got.
I consider anything about 40K good with my style of driving.

Thread Starter #32
as i said in this thread before, the scorpio is suffering from high engine noise & vibration. even the NVH of a tempo seems to be better now. it has done 1.9 lakh kms till now.

it was taken to the A.S.S & they have "assumed" two causes-
1) it needs a fuel pump servicing which costs 7-8k.
2) the timing chain along with pulley (mine is the older model & does not have the new timing belt) needs replacement at 20k.

i feel the engine foundation/mounts needs replacement too (that can be the cause of the vibrations inside the cabin). 1.5 years back, when the car was in mumbai (before it was sent to kerela), the mumbai's A.S.S had also told us the mounts need replacement. strangely, the mahindra A.S.S in kerela feels that it is not necessary.

another problem is that the A.S.S does not guarantee that doing the above will reduce the noise & vibration. the A.S.S recommended us NOT to change the timing chain right now since it is expensive & changing it may not solve the issue.

i need your suggestion guys. what do you think?

1) will a fuel pump service solve the noise & vibration issue?
2) should the engine mounts be changed?
3) is it necessary to change the timing chain? it has already been changed once in mumbai at about 80,000 kms.

Raj,

I dont think Fuel pump service will solve the issue.

Why not go for Engine mount ? That should be basic flaw for vibration & Engine noise.

I too think it has nothing to do with Fuel Pump. Otherwise the engine should be in a pathetic condition. In such case you will have a deep impact on the FE. I would also suggest you to check the mounts first. A bad engine mount can result in vibration for sure.

Only if this doesn't solve the problem, you move to timing chain. Regarding this, read the below extract:

Torsional oscillations of engine camshafts induced by valve train loads can cause significant tension fluctuation in the timing chain and magnifies the chain transverse vibrations. This will result in an increase of the undesirable impact noise from the chain/sprocket meshing process, and the knocking noise from the interaction between the vibrating chain and the guides.
So, it makes sense to make a cross examination of timing chain and its assembly.

However, I have a feeling that at least one of your engine cylinders needs service. Some 6 years back I had the same issue with M&M Jeep and I had to replace the piston rings and re-polish the cylinder units. Before doing any major service at A.S.S, its a nice idea to visit a well known local mechanic too. Some of the unskilled & untrained mechanics (as claimed by authorized service centers) are really good at spotting the issues quickly. [:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #35
thanks zinam & shynish. i think i will go in this order-
first change engine mounts. if that does not solve the issue, then fuel pump service. then the timing change replacement.

Considering the age , change the engine mounts.

Yes a diesel pump service will reduce the vibration and noise.

Another cause for Noise may be the worn out timing gears. (most last option)

And cost of fuel pump service is 2000 , plus some 2000 for bearing and turbo manifold change.

I can say for sure ,a pump service will reduce vibrations.

How is the vibration , When you accelerate in idle , the vibration do reduce?
Does the outer body vibrate much visibly?

I have worked in 2 scorpio , both old models. non crdi type.
I can be exact only if i see the car for real. Throritically helping may not be 100% true.

Can you record a video and mail me?

Thread Starter #37
ilango[speed thirst];23513 said:
Considering the age , change the engine mounts.

Yes a diesel pump service will reduce the vibration and noise.

Another cause for Noise may be the worn out timing gears. (most last option)

And cost of fuel pump service is 2000 , plus some 2000 for bearing and turbo manifold change.

I can say for sure ,a pump service will reduce vibrations.

How is the vibration , When you accelerate in idle , the vibration do reduce?
Does the outer body vibrate much visibly?

I have worked in 2 scorpio , both old models. non crdi type.
I can be exact only if i see the car for real. Throritically helping may not be 100% true.

Can you record a video and mail me?
yes, i will change the mounts this time buddy.

good to hear a fuel pump service will reduce the noise, it will be done ASAP.

yes, when we accelerate in idle, the vibrations are almost non-existent. while the vehicle is running, there is no noticable vibrations either. it vibrates more when it is in idle.

from outside, when the vehicle is idling, the vibrations can be seen in the front & rear bumper.

i am so sorry but i cant mail a video since i am in mumbai right now.

but thanks a lot for the help.

Hey Raj am no expert here to suggest about these but one thing from my side! We experienced the same problem in our Safari , vibration noise when in idle but no vibrations when running. But also no exterior vibrations of the body of the car just inside the bonnet.

We found out that the plastic cover plate which is fitted on top of the engine was making that noise! After tightening it the noise disappeared!! Is this plastic placed on top of your engine also?? If so then this may also be the issue!

Oh okay! Then the cover may also be causing some vibration noise , am mentioning this because we experienced exactly the same problem in our Safari which you are facing now!!

Just keep your hand on the cover of the engine and hold it tightly , if the vibration sound reduces then that is the problem if not try out the things said by other members!!

Last edited:
yes, i will change the mounts this time buddy.

good to hear a fuel pump service will reduce the noise, it will be done ASAP.

yes, when we accelerate in idle, the vibrations are almost non-existent. while the vehicle is running, there is no noticable vibrations either. it vibrates more when it is in idle.

from outside, when the vehicle is idling, the vibrations can be seen in the front & rear bumper.

i am so sorry but i cant mail a video since i am in mumbai right now.

but thanks a lot for the help.

So if you accelrate there is no vibration.

So improper fuel by diesel pump , due to worn out bearing.

Service that before changing the mounts (Aged so change for mount is based on age)

Front and rear bumpers as you mentioned is bumpers and not crash guard i suppose.

That may have slight vibration , more vibration may be due to improper fixation as bumper tend to hit , and there must be some loosening of nuts.

Waiting for report after diesel pump service. Also service the nozzle and there jets. Replace jet inside the nozzle . Do check the pressure check.

Thread Starter #42
@ cooldhaya: i dont think a cover can cause vibration in the whole car such as floor & bumpers.

@ ilango: yes ilango, then i'll get the fuel pump serviced first & then change the mounts if necessary.

yes, i meant the bumpers & not crash guard. by the way, even the crash guard vibrates along with the bumpers!

Thread Starter #43
spoke to the service advisor at mahindra's A.S.S in kerela just now. according to him, the main issues are-

1) engine mounts need to be changed- Rs. 2500
2) Fuel pump kit needs to be replaced- Rs. 7000
3) Timing pulley assembly needs to be replaced- Rs. 18,000

all figures are approximate.

out of these, (1) & (3) needs to be done ASAP & only if we need more improvement, (2) should be done.

Timing pulley assembly is not in stock & they have ordered it in mahindra & cannot say a definite date when it will arrive!!! anyways, they have already ordered it & will call us when the part arrives from the factory.

Raj why don't you go to any local workshop, hope they are much experienced than in A.S.S

What is meant by fuel pump kit?

The timing quote is correct , they are changing the timing gears .
-----------Next Post-----------
@ cooldhaya: i dont think a cover can cause vibration in the whole car such as floor & bumpers.

@ ilango: yes ilango, then i'll get the fuel pump serviced first & then change the mounts if necessary.

yes, i meant the bumpers & not crash guard. by the way, even the crash guard vibrates along with the bumpers!

Crash guard has no way connection with bumpers. They are mounted on chasis. Natural movement of crash guard is visible in normal cars as the body is in suspension , so the diffence.

And for your case , as the engine mounting is too worn out , with time and kms driven and roads you have taken in kerala , causes the vibration for crash guard.

So vibration inside is due to improper fuel supply- diesel pump service solves it

Crash guard vibration as chassis vibrates - engine mounting replace.

Even the faulty engine mounting may cause vibration inside due to worn out suspensions.

Last edited:

Top Bottom