Scorpio 2.6 Non Crde - Crossed 1.8 lakh kms!

350Z

Core Team
Ford Endeavor can be considered as well, Else he can get a good used 4x4 under his budget. Anyways, We will cont. this discussion in appropriate section whenever raj needs more suggestions.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #62
@ ilango & vibhor: both the vehicles you mentioned almost costs double to that of a scorpio! do you want my office staff to roam around in a endy/pajero when i am driving around a scorpio?!!!

Well, again talking about the Hero of this thread- my old 2003 model non-Crde scorpio! i had mentioned in this thread that it was facing a few issues like sluggish pick up & lots of vibrations. i had also mentioned that the engine foundations have been changed & the fuel pump has been serviced. all this was done at the mahindra A.S.S in kerela.

well, it has worked wonders. the car is back to its 'heroism' now! the acceleration has improved tremendously & vibrations are non-existent now! the car cleanly pulls from 40kmph in 5th gear now, without any hesitation. earlier, for any acceleration from 40kmph, you needed to downshift to 3rd! i am happy that the car is back to its springy enthusiastic character. sometimes, i feel that this oldie is more enjoyable to drive than my mHawk!

few other things worth mentioning-
1) the paint quality is top notch. the car has not been repainted/polished/waxed/teflon coated but the silver paint still shines like a mirror. this is inspite of the abuse & dusty/dirty conditions it has lived in.
2) the yokohama geloanders are superb. great grip, good steering feedback & built tough!
3) no rust visible anywhere in the body except the third row window frame where water gets accumulated.
4) this oldie is built tougher than the new breed of scorpios. no rattling/squeaking from anywhere inspite of being abused, thrown around in potholes & been driven on non-existent roads.

Thread Starter #64
On friday, my oldie broke down when it was stationary in a signal. reason was that the timing kit went kaput & along with it the camshaft broke.

if we rewind back a few posts, the A.S.S had told us that the timing gear needs replacement as soon as possible. we kept postponing it & now as a result, we have to bear huge losses!

the estimated repair cost is Rs. 35,000 which includes the whole timing kit (all the gears & wheels would be replaced with new ones) & a new camshaft & camshaft gear. Along with it, we have also asked for an alternator servicing which will cost around 3k. the kit was not in stock with the A.S.S (as new scorpios come with a belt driven unit) & the kit has been ordered from nashik. hopefully, will get my car back by this weekend.

This is the first time this car broke down on the road & had to be towed to the A.S.S, i wont blame the car or mahindra as the A.S.S had warned me about this well in advance but since we were planning to sell the car, we kept on postponing this thing. now that we are sure that we wont be selling this car, we are donig this as well as a thorough check up of the car's health.

Really bad to hear this raj, my suggestion to you is to replace Scorpio with chevy's tavera .
Because day by day these bill will grow hugely.
And problem may arise every now & then.[roll]
So it's now time to replace it raj & what's the odo reading of 2.6 raj?

Thread Starter #67
Bad to hear. And yes if they warned you, no fault of A.S.S. Its a sheer bad-luck, but costly.
yes, i agree it our mistake.

Really bad to hear this raj, my suggestion to you is to replace Scorpio with chevy's tavera .
Because day by day these bill will grow hugely.
And problem may arise every now & then.[roll]
So it's now time to replace it raj & what's the odo reading of 2.6 raj?
WHAT??? [surprise]

will you ever replace your scorpio for a tavera? IMO tavera is beat suited as cabs (no offence to tavera fans) & it is built only for one purpose- to ferry people form A to B with the greatest possible fuel efficiency. i would never buy a tavera even if i have to sell the scorpio.

about selling the car, yes we had initially thought about it. but after the recent fuel pump service & engine mounts change, the scorpio has become so lively that we dont feel like selling it. of course, age does show but the car is performing strongly.

this particular breakdown was not exactly the car's fault. if we fail to do periodic maintainence, then the car will give up on you!

yes, i agree it our mistake.

WHAT??? [surprise]

will you ever replace your scorpio for a tavera?

about selling the car, yes we had initially thought about it. but after the recent fuel pump service & engine mounts change, the scorpio has become so lively that we dont feel like selling it. of course, age does show but the car is performing strongly.

this particular breakdown was not exactly the car's fault. if we fail to do periodic maintainence, then the car will give up on you!
Sorry raj, it was mere a suggestion don't take it seriously.

Last edited:
Hey Raj,

It was great reading through your post. I am in process of acquiring a scorpio 2.6dx (non crde). It as done about 92,000 KM. Did a test drive engine was smooth good pickup, ac was chilling quiet good everything else seemed to be in perfect order. The seller is asking 4.5 lacs for it. Do you think I can buy it for the price. I am planning to keep it minimum for another 1 lac kms. I really need your feedback.

Thanks,
Raghu

Thread Starter #73
the timing kit problem i had mentioned has not been solved as yet.

I gave my car to the A.S.S on 4th July & it been 26 days now & my car is still at the A.S.S.! everyday i called, they would say that the parts have not arrived. i was also going easy as i am in mumbai & the car is in kerela. today i called them to inform them that i am escalating the matter to the higher authorities to which they said that the parts have arrived yesterday evening. they will be delivering the car by tomorrow evening.

according to them, there are 3 more cars with the same complaint.

the timing kit problem i had mentioned has not been solved as yet.

I gave my car to the A.S.S on 4th July & it been 26 days now & my car is still at the A.S.S.! everyday i called, they would say that the parts have not arrived. i was also going easy as i am in mumbai & the car is in kerela. today i called them to inform them that i am escalating the matter to the higher authorities to which they said that the parts have arrived yesterday evening. they will be delivering the car by tomorrow evening.

according to them, there are 3 more cars with the same complaint.
Well good to know finally Vehicle will be ready.[:)]

Glad to know that your cars almost ready..btw why does it happen that when a customer threatens to report to higher authorities the parts which were earlier unavailable due one or the other reason gets available immediately.

Top Bottom