Same Old Confusion: Safari OR Scorpio. Now Duster & XUV Making it Tougher!

Thread Starter #1
Hello automotives
Really need your views and perception.
My 10 months old diesel Fiesta has gone for a total loss claim due to a disastrous accident on 27th June which costed me the car but spared me with minimal injuries.
I finally have settled the issue with insurance guys and expecting something around 6 lacs.
They cheque is supposed to be given to me by Bajaj allianz in 6 days after the final acceptance of their quoted loss amount by me.

Now the hunt began for me.
This time with my concern over safety features and an inclination towards the SUV body types, I decided to explore it as an option.

So here it goes! [This review was the perception I had in the initial TD of the vehicles which has changed after the second TD also mentioned later in the post. I expect auto motives to go through both and then give me the optimal suggestions]

Fiesta being a complete handler and a driver's delight had been my ride for around 9 months. The only feature missing was an ABS [I feel to be a must now] and the airbags.
I don't know if I need to relate it as my prayers being heard or my confusion being darkened that just three days back, in the amidst of all these test drives of the SUVs, Fiesta Classic Titanium was launched with the features I always contemplated in my tuned Fiesta and with nice looking beige interiors, electrically adjusted ORVMs, alloys, all at a 9 lacs OTR. It is looking a complete VFM and I am sure I would go for it in the end, in case this SUV thing doesn't works on for me. [It has ABS and dual airbags]

Ford India Private Limited - Ford Classic 2011 & 2012 | Luxury sedan from Ford

Now going to the SUVs!
The ones being compared are

Full Black Safari VX priced at 13.65 lacs OTR, a whooping 1.4 lacs above its own gx which has ABS, and lacks from the VX only in terms of dual air bags, that screen in the headrest [Useless for me as I am the only one to be driving the car] and the reverse camera with its display in the IRVM. Now somehow its unsettling to know that the Scorpio VLX with air bag model costs only 21k more than the exact vlx without airbag. Its annoying as this clearly states that TATA wants those two good for nothing features to be worth 1.2 lacs and alas not to forget that tan colored leather in the VX in between the seats unlike the GX which has fabric. [hardly noticeable]

Anyway the ultimate test: A Test Drive!

I was given a VX with 20k on the odo.
Coming on the experience, there was a significant turbo lag, but after the turbo kicked in it was a pulling like a locomotive with a very torquey feeling. revved it hard and managed 80km/hr in 2nd gear and 120 km/hr max in the third gear, however had to brake then as it was crowded enough to be driving a two tone truck like a maniac.

I was totally blown by the performance and frankly speaking, it handled quite well, though there weren't any corners to take but still after being a Fiesta owner, I could say the handling was quite impressive, the breaking with ABS was efficient as well and quite a less body roll.

I could certainly rate it in terms of power and performance at par with my best buddy's fortuner I drive BUT...That's the only department it can be compared with a fortuner.
As I came out of my driving fun and nirvana those 140 horses were giving me and that happiness that indeed a Safari lived upto its road image and name, I started noticing that brake liner was making some noise on each press of the brake pedal, the clutch went hard with only 20k on the odo as well as the power steering felt jammed while taking a complete U.

Thoughts like "okay that's why they say safari suffers with niggles" started growing over me.
The sales guy tried to convince me over the fact that it is a TD vehicle therefore abused a lot hence these issues are there.
Still I had it running at the back of my mind that it must be a pricey one to maintain.

However in the battle of heart Vs Mind
Safari got 9/10 with that pulling power and performance. [Something a diesel lover and those who appreciate that gushing torque can understand]

Pearl White SCORPIO: The optin I am considering is a VLX with air bag costing 11.97 lacs on the road, and greatly the owner of the showroom happens to my dad's professional connection and therefore is offering a further discount of 40k, hence it is 11.57 lacs OTR for me.

Since my desire to own an SUV started with the scorpio and its clear butch looks, I had high respect already for the mighty scorpio.
In fact I considered it to be a better looking SUV than safari and with more imposing looks regardless of the safari's more powerful road image.

TEST DRIVE: Due to the connection part, I got a new vehicle with just 40k on the odo to test drive. It was a top line VLX. Fit and finish was at par and even more neat than safari and it had a better looking dashboard. Lacked driver ergonomics, maybe due to the tall stance, more vertical seating and lack of seat height adjustment feature.
Also cramped middle row seats and certainly lacked that grand feeling which the safari interiors offer in the first gaze [this might change after a more careful gaze due to much lower quality plastic in the safari than the scorpio]

Anyway, I went to the driver's seat where I am going to be always with vehicle being occupied by me alone without any passenger for 95% of the time. With lesser adjustments, it was quite difficult to achieve the best driving position and even with 5"11 height, I was required to pull the seats more than what I normally do in other cars, maybe that deep clutch was to be blamed.

Finally, a rev on the pedal, and my GOD, is it an SUV or a petrol hatch!
So refined and peppy and eager to pounce. It felt really very light and there was no feeling at all of pulling a 2 tone monster. Must say that Mahindra has done a commendable job but unfortunately I am not a lover of these peppy eager vehicle having the tendency to jump rather like that initial silence of the turbo as in a swift, safari or the mighty cruze. Hence it couldn't please me much.

However, since it was an open street, I slammed the throttle only to realize that engine went breathless in the second gear at 70 and then again on the third at 100. No feeling of that powerful turbo spooling up and giving that rush of torque rather a more linear and smooth peppy ride. Something which the petrol heads crave for but not a diesel lover like me. Not very pleased !
Managed 120 in it. In stability, safari could be rated as slightly better in this department at 120.
Somehow there wasn't much rush of torque like the safari rather a more refined linear torque. [this perception though has changed after my next TD as mentioned later in the post]

Safari won it during this first TD.

The confusion kept hitting me that did I miss something while assessing as so many people rate the scorp engine a bliss and safari's to be a slouch one !

Yet to test drive a duster but somehow duster maybe a better handler, a better performer and in fact in can be everything but not safari or the scorpio. [glasses]

Unable to decide and with mind swinging again and again to go and buy my old loved Fiesta with all these new safety gizmos I decide for a second TD.

The second TD

It was a long TD of around 15 kms on each of the vehicles today as I really wanted to conclude between these two with duster still being questionable as I haven't taken the TD yet.

Now the worst part is that this long TD has really messed up my head totally.
I really didn't find the scorpio to be any slouch than safari. I mean yes it needs a shift to higher gear earlier than safari and this is clearly felt with scorp begging for the fourth gear at 100 and safari at around 115 but the time to reach 3 digit speeds felt to be the same with scorpio feeling to be faster till 100.
During my test run of both the vehicles on the same test course, I was able to touch 130 in both with all other parameters including the time [as per the assessment of the friend I had on the next seat today during the TD] being constant. Obviously scorpio required gear shifts earlier than the safari but again it didn't matter in the end.
Not to forget Safari's real truck like roar when I pushed it till 115 in the 3rd gear.
Again the safari was the same 20k on the odo TD vehicle with pathetic condition. Brake squeaking even more than what they did last time, clutch making some noise on each press and that heaviness in the steering.
Scorpio was just like the last time, a new vehicle with 110 km on the odo.

Frankly speaking, after this second TD I felt like a politician ready to take all my allegations on scorpio of being underpowered, back.

On a serious note it has really increased my confusion even more.

With that butter deal on the scorpio after that influence-based discount of 45k, making it 11.5 lacs OTR, a top line VLX with airbag was prior in increasing this confusion further.

Also tried to push scorpio today against some cornering at 100 with seat belts buckled and extremely cautious and ready for disaster attitude, but again it behaved fairly well. [I have been a Fiesta owner and a spirited driver and still I can say it wasn't that bad as blamed].
Willingly threw it against the broken pot holes and it wasn't a disappointment over safari in that department either.

I wish I shouldn't have taken this detailed TD of both these monstrous trucks and should have followed my heart and booked the safari VX, but now all I am left with is even more indecisiveness.

And now this news of the facelift of scorpio being around the corner by diwali! God I guess I should go and buy my old good Fiesta at that lovely price of 9 lacs OTR with those airbag and ABS offerings.

And ya I forgot to mention that the showroom offered a deal on the XUV 500, I guess W6, the lower variant without alloys in a full black color with two airbags, all disc brakes etc at 12.8 lacs OTR which looked a lovely deal but somehow I never liked the looks of the XUV [no offenses to its die hard fans] and hence I didn't even go for its TD as I really didn't want it to outperform my two choices I am considering, [the safari and the scorpio] and accentuate my confusions further with its entry as a lovely performer but not a great looker as in my eyes.

Don't know why but I am feeling like to have an SUV now hence straining my brain with these comparisons.[and not going ahead and booking the Fiesta Classic Titanium again]
The other vehicles I have is a 2008 Honda City and an i10. [with Fiesta gone now]
Hence have a feeling that an SUV will complete my fleet. [;)]

What is your say about a scorpio with a Tuning Box from the RD guys Bangalore [the dieseltronic]. There is a 25% increase in both the torque and bhp figures making them close to 150 bhp and 365 nm.
To supplement it, I have plans of Blistein B6 shocks from the Petes, a K and N and a 275/60 R17 wheel upgrade to manage the increased power.
The whole mod list will cost me 85k.
Now should I consider a scorpio to get close to XUV and duster in performance figures with these mods onboard.
[A friends Scorpio VLX with the above mentioned mods has 0-100 in 11.6 seconds and a top speed of full house that is 180km/hr unfortunately I haven't test driven it yet and have the figures confirmed by him who happens to be a true driving enthusiast and a fair and unbiased man]
My concern is the information that scorpio gearbox hasn't been designed to handle such power increase. My friend says he is ok till now and has done happy 10k kms and not sure of what after.
What does your analysis say ?

And sorry for such a long post but I really need suggestion guys so please help.

Welcome to TAI,XUV is the best handler in this list of your's and also a good Value product, but if you don't like then i would ask you to go for Scorpio as it a proven product but stay away from tuner's least for first few year's as it will void the Warranty, regarding Dusster it is a new product and the service cost and parts availability is unknown so just stay away from it, over the year's Safari's price has slowly climbed up making it an less VFM product, hope it helped.

It's always tough to decide between these two Monsters. And at the end it becomes heart vs mind situation. But the current safari does have few niggles but has better looks, good amount of torque and the most comfortable SUV upto the 20L range with great road presence. My personal choice has always been a Safari.

Thread Starter #4
Welcome to TAI,XUV is the best handler in this list of your's and also a good Value product, but if you don't like then i would ask you to go for Scorpio as it a proven product but stay away from tuner's least for first few year's as it will void the Warranty, regarding Dusster it is a new product and the service cost and parts availability is unknown so just stay away from it, over the year's Safari's price has slowly climbed up making it an less VFM product, hope it helped.
Thanks Visran !
And yes about XUV, somehow the looks don't appeal me at all [confused]

Scorpio is really looking to be a VFM.

ABout the tuning Box, I was planning it after 10k on the odo.
About warranty, I did manage it on my Fiesta and with some connection in the present Mahindra ASS, it won't be a problem there.

Now the confusion is that should I go for the proven Petes, however my experience with it wasn't good in the Fiesta.
Refer my post with
"My Experience with Pete's Tuning Box in a Ford Fiesta on google.

The dieseltronic which was behaving well on the Fiesta or this dragon as in this link
MAHINDRA SCORPIO VLX - Review | Price | Specifications | Mileage | Rating - MouthShut.com - MouthShut.com

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
It's always tough to decide between these two Monsters. And at the end it becomes heart vs mind situation. But the current safari does have few niggles but has better looks, good amount of torque and the most comfortable SUV upto the 20L range with great road presence. My personal choice has always been a Safari.
It is really being tough for me indeed.
The only letdown in safari is the whopping 2 lacs I need to pay for the similar features.
Not to forget more niggles with Tata.
Still Safari score more in the "Dil Se" department :wink:

the VLX scorpio with a the XUV w6 in comparison since the OTR price is similar does not cut it practically.

if i had that much of cash i would defenetely have gone for an XUV w6.

as of now the W6 has the least niggles and even those niggles are reducing with the newer batches.

what you get with the XUV is
better handling
better power 140 bhp vs 120 for the scorpio.

a 6th gear for better mileage on highway cruise.
not to forget the body weight of the xuv is lighter than the scorpio, so real world power to weight ratio is much better than the scorpio.

looks aside, the practical VFM buy for me had i had the monies is the XUV.

duster is for those who prefer a european manufacturer to build an SUV.

all said take a TD of the XUV to finalise.

Hi asfar, the ride and handing of the Scorpio is not as bad as it is projected. It is similar to all SUVs in that price bracket.

If your choice is between the Scorpio and Safari, I suggest the Scorpio as it is more reliable and after sales service is a tad better too. Safari's dwindling sales means resale value is poor too. Also, there is no new Scorpio coming this September.

Between the XUV and Scorpio, I recommend the XUV. More features, safety equipment, more power and better ride and handling. Test drive the XUV once. Remember, there is additional 20 bhp in the XUV!

Thread Starter #8
Hi Raj

I have read in may forums and truly like your posts as the scorpio lover.

Also link to that you tube videos of yours trying 0-100 in the scorpio. [clap]

By the way as far as I remember, you wrote a time of 13.6 as your best 0-100 run.
Why is there such a lot of difference in these 0-100 timings mentioned.
Like indiandrive says its 16.1 [God knows how they felt it to be so slow]
M&M officially says it to be 14.8 seconds with XUV to be 12.5.
The Indian drive claims a fortune's 0-100 run to be 12.8. [Have read on individual ownership reports to be 12 secs]

Unfortunately I really dislike XUV's look upto the core and also those fabric interiors of the W6 make it more odd. Everything looks so over designed that went miles ahead of normal acceptable looks [that's however subjective to one's own preference as my cousin is mad over it and has booked a W8]

If I would have the money, I would have bought a fortuner, else either a scorpio or the safari. I am in love with that ladder frame chassis and not the monocque structured SUVs.

Now my question to you is should I expect a Scorpio with a nice tuning box like the petes or the dieseltronic, a K and N filter, a blistein shock upgrade [Had words with Peter and he says blistein on the mhawk is a bliss to drive with quite a lot of reduction in the body roll and improved handling] and those fat 27/60 R17 or 255/60 R17 [in case 275s scrap] rubber, Can I expect a scorpio to give me some decent performance and those 0-100 figures of below 12 sec. [Atleast then I would be able to race against a fortuner, but off course against the one in its stock conditions]

I know I am too optimistic as the only 0-100 figure for a scorpio I consider to be my benchmark was the 13.6 quoted by you. But I don't mind it as your posts have been quite responsible in increasing my love and respect for the vehicle as well. However I was wondering that XUV after being tested by Mahindra has 0-100 of 12.5, so if you test it, I am sure you will manage 11 sec. lol, just kidding.

Duster, again it really looks small to be an SUV, however would TD it once.

if i had that much of cash i would defenetely have gone for an XUV w6.

what you get with the XUV is
better handling
better power 140 bhp vs 120 for the scorpio.

a 6th gear for better mileage on highway cruise.
not to forget the body weight of the xuv is lighter than the scorpio, so real world power to weight ratio is much better than the scorpio.

duster is for those who prefer a european manufacturer to build an SUV.

all said take a TD of the XUV to finalise.
I am going to TD it superbad, but seriously its getting very difficult to digest those looks after spending a whooping 13 lacs. I know I am sounding vague but somehow XUV in my eyes really looks like a spaceship in 1980s hollywood si-fi fictions with lots of over designs.
[No hard feelings for all those in love with XUV design, as there are many unlike me who find scorpio to be a boxy looking and safari to be plain and over bulky]

That is one reason I kept myself away from TDing the XUV as I am scared that if it will outperform, I will get indecisive with feelings like "how does these ugly looks matter when I am not going to see it by being seated inside it while driving and enjoying the better driving dynamics, and for the rest seeing it from the outside, its purely blissful." [;)]

Hi asfar, the ride and handing of the Scorpio is not as bad as it is projected. It is similar to all SUVs in that price bracket.

If your choice is between the Scorpio and Safari, I suggest the Scorpio as it is more reliable and after sales service is a tad better too. Safari's dwindling sales means resale value is poor too. Also, there is no new Scorpio coming this September.

Between the XUV and Scorpio, I recommend the XUV. More features, safety equipment, more power and better ride and handling. Test drive the XUV once. Remember, there is additional 20 bhp in the XUV!
Also Raj, just for the records and to please my inner self craving for scorpio, the XUV cannot have a pets box, as it will require the PSI guys to come down to India again as they did for the scorpio [not going to happen for at least an year] and the other tuners here will also require time to develop maps for it here.
SO after tuning the scorpio, it can perform at par the XUV and therefore I will be proud of it beating the XUV by .5 seconds [glasses]

I know there are many willing to say after reading this post of mine
"dil ko khush rakhney ke liye khayal hi acha hai aye ghalib" lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Also Raj, just for the records and to please my inner self craving for scorpio, the XUV cannot have a pets box, as it will require the PSI guys to come down to India again as they did for the scorpio [not going to happen for at least an year] and the other tuners here will also require time to develop maps for it here.
SO after tuning the scorpio, it can perform at par the XUV and therefore I will be proud of it beating the XUV by .5 seconds [glasses]

"dil ko khush rakhney ke liye khayal hi acha hai aye ghalib" lol [;)]
letme put it this way you get a factory tuned MHawk engine @140bhp with better dynamics, better cabin space,and host of features which makes an XUV much more VFM than a scorpio. and supposedly with better safety.

now if you are more inclined towards tuning your scorpio you need to wait around one year to avoid warranty issues.

the same thing cane be said about XUV.

what i meant is you get it factory approved and when the time/craving for more power arises you might have a petes box for the XUV.

Also link to that you tube videos of yours trying 0-100 in the scorpio.
Whoa! You have done a lot of online research!

By the way as far as I remember, you wrote a time of 13.6 as your best 0-100 run.
Why is there such a lot of difference in these 0-100 timings mentioned.
Like indiandrive says its 16.1 [God knows how they felt it to be so slow]
M&M officially says it to be 14.8 seconds with XUV to be 12.5.
The Indian drive claims a fortune's 0-100 run to be 12.8. [Have read on individual ownership reports to be 12 secs]
The 0-100 was timed using a humble timer by my friend. So there is a good probability of an error!

Unfortunately I really dislike XUV's look upto the core and also those fabric interiors of the W6 make it more odd. Everything looks so over designed that went miles ahead of normal acceptable looks [that's however subjective to one's own preference as my cousin is mad over it and has booked a W8]
Do a test drive and maybe you will forget the way it looks.

If I would have the money, I would have bought a fortuner, else either a scorpio or the safari. I am in love with that ladder frame chassis and not the monocque structured SUVs.
Even my preference is like your's.

Now my question to you is should I expect a Scorpio with a nice tuning box like the petes or the dieseltronic, a K and N filter, a blistein shock upgrade [Had words with Peter and he says blistein on the mhawk is a bliss to drive with quite a lot of reduction in the body roll and improved handling] and those fat 27/60 R17 or 255/60 R17 [in case 275s scrap] rubber, Can I expect a scorpio to give me some decent performance and those 0-100 figures of below 12 sec. [Atleast then I would be able to race against a fortuner, but off course against the one in its stock conditions
First of all, I wont buy a SUV for these drag races. they are not meant for that you wont be safe doing that too.

Anyways, coming to your question, with a Pete's or a dieseltronic box, the Scorprio will easily have a 0-100 time of about 12-13 seconds. Go for the suspension upgrade ONLY if you feel the need to do so. the new Scorpios already come with an improved suspension.

I know I am too optimistic as the only 0-100 figure for a scorpio I consider to be my benchmark was the 13.6 quoted by you. But I don't mind it as your posts have been quite responsible in increasing my love and respect for the vehicle as well. However I was wondering that XUV after being tested by Mahindra has 0-100 of 12.5, so if you test it, I am sure you will manage 11 sec. lol, just kidding.
LOLZ...

That is one reason I kept myself away from TDing the XUV as I am scared that if it will outperform, I will get indecisive with feelings like "how does these ugly looks matter when I am not going to see it by being seated inside it while driving and enjoying the better driving dynamics, and for the rest seeing it from the outside, its purely blissful." [;)]
I am sure that will happen. It happened to me atleast. That car is a rocket and simply great in terms of comfort and handling.

"dil ko khush rakhney ke liye khayal hi acha hai aye ghalib" lol [;)]
I feel you are very much inclined to buy a Scorpio. Take the TD of the XUV atleast. If you still dont like it, simply close your eyes and buy the Scorpio. Then add a tuning box...

So what you need is a Safari with M Hawk engine, Fortuner like build quality, Fiesta like handling (or at least like an Yeti) and Esteem type acceleration from start.

Try Laura L&K 2.0 TDI AT - nearest possible choice.
Sedan with SUV like stance.

Thread Starter #15
Look's like you have decided on Mahindra's best selling Scorpio.have you?
I guess somewhere I am inclined more towards the scorpio. But again since its investing 12 lacs, hence I am trying to be utterly confident before going ahead and buying one.

The confusion is persistent, between a Black Safari VX [Again had it been close to be around 12.5 or if the GX priced at 12.2 had an airbag, It would have been my ride]

Pearl White XUV W6 [If only mahindra wouldn't have tried every design available with them both for the interiors and the exteriors, it was a good value proposition at 13.2 lacs with that excellent driving dynamics.]

Pearl White Scorpio. Till now its looking the best contender with only lacks in the department of road image where safari is ahead of it. Between it and the XUV, that power beneath the bonnet and good handling is being what is making me think again and again.

what i meant is you get it factory approved and when the time/craving for more power arises you might have a petes box for the XUV.
What you saying does make sense superbad.
Today while my office to and fro drive, I was trying to look each of these three cars, XUV, Safari and Scorpio.
Tried to see XUV from more neutral perspective and somehow it didn't looked that odd as I used to feel it to be but still somehow wasn't yet able to connect to it as my next beloved ride.

Things are looking all very confused at the moment.

As some scorpios I encountered on the road were looking too bland and boring from their side profile. [Again these were all in hands of those village dudes with most ugly looking bull bars, those terrible fake chrome over the mirror and handles and not so well maintained and clean.

So what you need is a Safari with M Hawk engine, Fortuner like build quality, Fiesta like handling (or at least like an Yeti) and Esteem type acceleration from start.

Try Laura L&K 2.0 TDI AT - nearest possible choice.
Sedan with SUV like stance.
Haha
Perfect suggestion bro!

Infact I have always loved the L and K with that DSG gearbox and 140 horses.

But again that 19 lacs is something which stopped me.
Tried some of them in the used market, somehow didn't get any nice del at around 10-11 :(

It is indeed a great vehicle but these skoda ASS has somehow started making people look at them with skeptical feelings.

The 0-100 was timed using a humble timer by my friend. So there is a good probability of an error!

Do a test drive and maybe you will forget the way it looks.
Even my preference is like your's.

First of all, I wont buy a SUV for these drag races. they are not meant for that you wont be safe doing that too.

Anyways, coming to your question, with a Pete's or a dieseltronic box, the Scorprio will easily have a 0-100 time of about 12-13 seconds. Go for the suspension upgrade ONLY if you feel the need to do so. the new Scorpios already come with an improved suspension.

I am sure that will happen. It happened to me atleast. That car is a rocket and simply great in terms of comfort and handling.

I feel you are very much inclined to buy a Scorpio. Take the TD of the XUV atleast. If you still dont like it, simply close your eyes and buy the Scorpio. Then add a tuning box...
Somehow that deal at 11.6 lacs and with all possible and available healthy mods at another 1 lac [the TB, Fat 275/60/R17s, G sport europa seats, Blistein B6 and KandN in another 1 lacs ] with Final OTR of 12.6 lacs is appearing to be an irresistible proposition.

However since the competition is too close between a black safari vx [it would have won had it been close to 12.5 lacs] and the XUV W6 [just for the much talked driving dynamics]. I would have given a lac etc for the scorpio if the similar XUV driving experience would have been in it or had the safari vx at 13.6 possessed the same, would have loved choosing it at that price then.

Unfortunately the automobile market is yet not like the SUBWAY, making you choose from everything available in the house. [;)]

I guess you are right about the suspension not being that bad as portrayed everywhere.
I tried this new vehicle and it didn't feel any different to that safari vx with that 20k on the odo being used as the TD vehicle.

I will certainly try it for at least a 1000 kms with that tyre upgrade to 27/60 R17 [as it might improve it further] before going for the blistens. A 15km TD was certainly not enough to make me go out and shell that 40k.

Everything is looking extremely confusing bro.
Today some scorpios I saw weren't looking at all appealing, but again they were handled by village morons with those worst looking bull bars and unnecessary chrome with the whole mud of the city around their wheel arch.

I had to trust my visualization that a pearl white scorpio with a black film in those bulging fat full machined black alloys will look killer. [evil]

Top Bottom