Same Old Confusion: Safari OR Scorpio. Now Duster & XUV Making it Tougher!

i never liked a scorpio with the addon mods.

the stock built scorpio looks much attractive to me [:)]

also i dont like the decals . that is the reason i bought an SLE version.

but given your budget and owners views on the XUV, i would suggest you go TD for the W6 variant.

regarding the suspension setup on the scorpio.

the newer scorpios have better suspension setup and i dont think you need to upgrade them.

the handling of my scorpio was better than even the TD vehicle for me.

Thread Starter #17
I just checked today with the dealer here as I wanted a Fiery black with body coloured cladding and bumpers and not that rocky beige thing.
Also never like that decals. I am also not in favour of any tatto or sticker work on the exterior. Like single coloured ones.
The dealer informed me that he would get one VLX-airbag without decals but will check with the Mahindra TSM, if they can get the cladding painted from the plant itself.

Waiting for their feedback and in case it gets possible, a full black VLX-airbag with those black allure interiors, then its going to be the scorpio for me.

About suspension, I test drove a vehicle with just 40km on the odo. [Delaers are notorious enough to give TD over vehicles to be delivered to the customers]

I also didn't feel that body roll etc as being quted in excess everywhere. However there was a little less stability while cornering and in trying quick direction changes.
Now to the contrary the scorpio hawk, 2011 model I drove which belongs to one of my friend and had Blistein B6 handled much better. Infact the steering response etc went upto the levels of fortuner and was much better than the safari as well. Highway stability had major improvement with makin it a hoot to drive on the tarmac but again offroading deteriorated and ride for is also less comfortable due to that stiffer setup. [I don't care about this as I am the only one who will be travelling in the vehicle and need something which is a delight to drive and not to be driven].I never felt while driving his car that I am driving the tallest SUV of the segment.

Still I will drive a few thousand mile with the stock suspension before deciding one for myself.

About mods, I do like a full black scorpio with the scorpio embossed in red, a little widened tire 275s over a hyper silver alloy wheels, a black film with slight transparency [so the RTOs don't book me :P], petes red logo on the fuel lid opener and obviously much power and control beneath to muscle other cars if required. [evil]

The vlx black with the silver cladding does look much upmarket then the full black cladding. That is my personal opinion though.

You can try the alloy wheels for that butch look.

If you are so much into black cladding try getting it on the lx version. But then you lose on safety.

Just take a look on the black scorpio vlx before opting for the all black cladding.

If you love the all black look then have a look at the xuv from fellow member iron rock.

@Asfar:
You had a Fiesta-Great.
You lost it-Sad.
You need a new car-Even greater.
You need an SUV-Even more greater.
But but but..your decision is somewhere partial.Why?

You need ride and handling and fun to drive factor like of Fiesta in an SUV but still you haven't looked at Yeti!![frustration]
Buddy,just once go and TD the Yeti thing and you will forgot those seven seater trucks you are looking at.What you will get in Yeti is:-

• Build quality and interior quality far far better than those Tata and Mahindra things and yes,Renault one too.
  • Performance is far far better than all three-four mentioned.
  • Fuel economy looks like alien figure for SUVs,its so good.
  • Punchy and very responsive engine.
  • Ride and handling are best in class,Scorpio,Safari,XUV lies nowhere near the Yeti in terms of driving experience.
  • Seating position and seats themselves are far far more supportive and comfy than the mentioned SUVs.
  • Though the feature list is slightly longer than XUV,but the 'QUALITY' thing is also there with the features.Which is missing in the XUV.
  • Flexibility that yeti offers is unmatched.
  • About Skoda A.S.S. and resale value.Take one example:-
2003 model Scorpios and Skoda Octavias,both with 1 lac kms on odo are sold for 2-3 lacs,so how Skoda resale value is that much pathetic?
I own a Skoda car for more than last one year and let em tell you that A.S.S. is nowhere as bad as it is projected by some people.No offence to anyone but ,now a days Skoda A.S.S. is bad only for non-Skoda owners,else every Skoda owner is happy with their cars and A.S.S.Go and check it out yourself,you won't find any crying Skoda owner today.

• The status a Skoda car enjoys is nowhere matched by a Mahindra or Tata.
  • At last..Yeti is having discounts upto 2 lacs this can get you a 4X2 Ambition priced lesser or near to XUV W8 or Safari VX and same way 4X4 can be bought at the price of XUV 4X4.What can be better than that?
  • No one please come up saying that Yeti has 110 BHP in 4X2 avatar,before doing it,please have a look at the performance of 4X2 yourself else I'll again have to write a complete paragraph.

At last:Why to go for a Duster if you can go for a Yeti?Go and experience the Yeti yourself,I am sure you won't even turn back towards the 3-4 UV things mentioned.

And if you are okay with used ones too then I'd recommend you to go for a used Pajero if you need real proven and tough mechanicals and real continent crushing ability,else have a look at a Fortuner,for 15 lacs you can get a great deal.

Last edited:
Maybe upnorth you might get good resale for the skodas but here one can get an octavia in under 4 lakhs. I dont have much info about the year but only a laura commands good resale value which is at the max 2 to 3 years old. All other cars from skoda suffer poor resale value. Not talking about the rapid here.
Last i read here on TAI the mhawk scorpio still gets you much better resale value.
Heck our 17 years old armada too got better resale and people were even ready to pay more to beat the fixed price :tongue:

Maybe upnorth you might get good resale for the skodas but here one can get an octavia in under 4 lakhs. I dont have much info about the year but only a laura commands good resale value which is at the max 2 to 3 years old. All other cars from skoda suffer poor resale value. Not talking about the rapid here.
My dear,let me tell you that Octavia has been discontinued since 4-5 years but still its selling for 4 lacs.Isn't it a sign of good resale value?
Discontinue the Scorpio today and tell me if anyone is ready to pay 4 lac for even 4 year old Scorpio but people are paying 3-4 lacs for 8-10 year old Octavias,isn't it a sign of good resale value?
Actually once try to see things with a slightly more practical approach and you will understand what I mean.No doubt the resale value is not very hig,but its not bad either.Its average and every manufacturer in India except Maruti and Hyundai(those also for selected models)have average resale value.
My dear,Indians have now understood the term 'QUALITY' and hence they pay for it,same way Skoda and VW cars are improving day by day in terms of resale value too.

There are discontinued cars like Baleno,Ford Ikon etc etc which never had as good resale value as of Octy.Isn't it a sign of good resale value?
If still its BAD then tell me how you define good resale value.

Last i read here on TAI the mhawk scorpio still gets you much better resale value.
Better than its direct competition-Safari,none else.

Heck our 17 years old armada too got better resale and people were even ready to pay more to beat the fixed price :tongue:
Is that a car?Everyone knows about those vehicles,I am sure you won't compare its depreciation with any car like Octy etc.
Because,in the eyes of some special breed of enthusiasts,your armada is priceless while in the eyes of our AAM JANTA,your Armada is just a jeep with closed body which has no value(no offense please buddy).

Thread Starter #22
Thanks Vipul.

And guys no personal war over the resale for skodas and mahindras.
I mean they belong to different leagues with skoda being known for quality, tata for everything else but that and mahindra wtth some marginal justice here. [The black allure interiors on a scorpio were looking better. The dashboard plastic etc really looked little upmarket even than the counterpart beige ones. the instrument panel was again pretty decent looking and inspiring with that red shades]

Vipul the thing is that I am a person who is quite governed by the looks and again have my own perspectives of defining it either.
Scorpio appeals me in all corners except the side profile where it does look a little boxy.
Safari, somehow since it safari, it works.

Duster, never liked that puny look.

Yeti, I agree it being a skoda but somehow the most unsucessful skoda and the only reason of this failure, LOOKS!

I know these skoda showroom people here. Have given many visits for the laura but then squeezed the budget and went for the Fiesta.

Seriously even the people there ;laughed when I asked them that how do they convince buyers for it for that 19k [GOD]
No doubt, it had to come under the discount section. After all who will pay that premium for it

Indore sales figure of yeti is 1 or 2 car a month even after this discount and there is a sale of 25-30 lauras. JUST IMAGINE!

Now I am purely convinced over the fact that it would be a great driver's SUV!
But again don't thing it worth the price as I will have to tolerate those looks and those laughing faces when people see me there.
No offences to people who own it but seriously I have seen many laughing on the buyer's perspective whenever one is seen in an Yeti or the Toyota Prius. [surprise]

Now obviously I don't want to carry this as the road image [frustration]
Unfortunately even in my group we had similar thoughts and felt that why the hell Skoda launched such an SUV.

I am sure its only still in the market as Skoda can't let this happen where the fade out a model without having its counterpart, afterall they are Skoda and what if one soldier fell weak.

I love a Laura L and K but don't have that money to pay.

The best is a Superb TSI if only petrol become Rs50 a liter again.
the diesel one seems pricey and enters the league of a 3 series which might lack in features but in the end is a BMW.

By the way do you drive that turbocharged petrol laura ?
160 horses ?
That's so much fun to drive...a true rocket. Wish could have been able to buy it [evil]

@Asfar:
Got your point,then Yeti is not the car for you my dear.Go for XUV.

Actually yeti is a car for a different breed,there are some people who are buying it,who are paying those 19 lacs or the car.About Indore I don't know but here no one laughs on seeing anyone buying a Yeti.In fact the MP from here owns one(recommended by me only) and is very happy with the car,not only he but his followers also.They all like yeti and are found saying "19 lakh diye hain toh mili hai 19 lakh ki cheez"(If we have paid 19 lacs,then we have got a thing worth 19 lacs).
Actually in India SUVs means 7 seats and a mini-truck size,those are two things where Yeti falls short,but the owners of yeti is always more than happy with the car.

In Yeti you get:Ride,handling,overall product quality,fantastic fit,finish and attention to detail,EDL(Electronic differential lock) and 4X4 that works(not like some other cars in which it fails to work for sometime),ergonomics,ease of driving,hatch like practicality,sedan like comfort and SUV like abilities,high quality electronics,front and rear parking sensors and a lot of features.In other words,any person who owns the car or even loves it can easily justify the price but others can't.

Yes I own a Laura Turbocharged Stratified Injection and no doubt this car is a road rocket.
Oh yes,if you like the car then you can safely go for it.It is also priced nearly as much as the XUV 500 W8 and is having a lot of discounts too.Else you can go for the Classic variant which will come for about 13 lacs and add whatever you want in it from market.(alloys etc etc).ABS,Airbags,Traction control are standard kit and come in the Classic too.
But yes,be careful,this car can addict you,it can rule your head.

Asfar
Like in the another forum I would say just wait for the strome it will be out in max 2 months and you have other cars to commute till then .
If you don't like the strome buy a Scorpio but remember no matter what you do to the Scorpio it will never Handel like xuv , duster ,yeti so please don't mix up things here it's like making micheal Jackson look like Tom cruise .
What are you confused of ?
Simpple wait for strome if not buy the Scorpio since you don't like the xuv and find duster to be puny.

Thread Starter #25
Iam young yet believe in old school tradition that is SUVs are not meant to be driven fast as you would drive a sedan or a hatch and basically I don't believe in driving any car fast you can call me a bit boring but 120 is a max speed I will try and only on express highways and that too maybe just for some mins .
Scorpio has a supremely powerful engine and I believe there is no need of adding any race chip and all .
If you want Scorpio buy the way it is because it is great for what it is with its plus and negative points .

Did you test the xuv and duster ?

Thread Starter #27
Iam young yet believe in old school tradition that is SUVs are not meant to be driven fast as you would drive a sedan or a hatch and basically I don't believe in driving any car fast you can call me a bit boring but 120 is a max speed I will try and only on express highways and that too maybe just for some mins .
Scorpio has a supremely powerful engine and I believe there is no need of adding any race chip and all .
If you want Scorpio buy the way it is because it is great for what it is with its plus and negative points .

Did you test the xuv and duster ?
No Raja.
I won't call you old school at all as I have seen the results of pushing the car and one's self to extreme limits in my Fiesta as mentioned in the other forum.
It was indeed a horrifying experience with seeing life almost ending in front of me [it was a breathing issue due to severe impact of the seat belt strap to the chest region which made breathing impossible at that time and a throughly bleeding nose., however came out to be external with nothing life threatening]

I was a consistent driver at above 120 with normal ranges between 130-160 everyday while my way to my office through a national highway.
It was just by God's grace that the accident costed me the whole car but spared me.
A cornering at 150 made me have a head on collision with a big dumper.

Things have changed now. Whenever I start getting too arrogant about my driving skills, I go back to that 16 km journey I had in the emergency ambulance from the accident site to the hospital. In a moment it reminds me that life is too precious to be endangered in any such speed stunt.

Though I craved for a tuned scorpio but now obviously the reasons are having the happiness of a powerful car with me with no intentions of indulging in those road raging races. [:)]

@Asfar:
Got your point,then Yeti is not the car for you my dear.Go for XUV.

Actually yeti is a car for a different breed,there are some people who are buying it,who are paying those 19 lacs or the car.About Indore I don't know but here no one laughs on seeing anyone buying a Yeti.In fact the MP from here owns one(recommended by me only) and is very happy with the car,not only he but his followers also.They all like yeti and are found saying "19 lakh diye hain toh mili hai 19 lakh ki cheez"(If we have paid 19 lacs,then we have got a thing worth 19 lacs).
Actually in India SUVs means 7 seats and a mini-truck size,those are two things where Yeti falls short,but the owners of yeti is always more than happy with the car.

In Yeti you get:Ride,handling,overall product quality,fantastic fit,finish and attention to detail,EDL(Electronic differential lock) and 4X4 that works(not like some other cars in which it fails to work for sometime),ergonomics,ease of driving,hatch like practicality,sedan like comfort and SUV like abilities,high quality electronics,front and rear parking sensors and a lot of features.In other words,any person who owns the car or even loves it can easily justify the price but others can't.

Yes I own a Laura Turbocharged Stratified Injection and no doubt this car is a road rocket.
Oh yes,if you like the car then you can safely go for it.It is also priced nearly as much as the XUV 500 W8 and is having a lot of discounts too.Else you can go for the Classic variant which will come for about 13 lacs and add whatever you want in it from market.(alloys etc etc).ABS,Airbags,Traction control are standard kit and come in the Classic too.
But yes,be careful,this car can addict you,it can rule your head.
I totally understand that Yeti is a great driver's SUV Vipul but unfortunately it won't work for me for the reasons I mentioned. [:(]

About TSI laura, I know how superb this car is and driver's delight but unfortunately my everyday run is around 100km [not including any out of station drive which might make it even higher]

This forces me to go the diesel way [frustration]

Also folks back in my home are now in favour of an SUV and not looking to let me go for a powerful sedan again.
I realized this when I got a deal on Chevy Cruze
A black cruze with only 1900 Kms on the ODO, not even registered, bought in May 2012 [I would have been the first owner after the registration being completed in my name]
Simly the best condition with no difference than the one from the showroom.

All at 13 lacs OTR for me [Including even the registration]
The rich dude was selling it for skoda superb with a DSG gearbox.

Unfortunately every one at my home stood up against the deal and made me let it go [frustration]

This made me sure of what they wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
asfar
after having such incident in your life why you still want a scorpio with race chip ? in my view sorry to be blunt but its just a ego trip and nothing more because anyway you wont use that power to take it to certain speeds so why to waste money ?
belive me scorpio is very powerful suv ask raj and superbad they will tell you .
why dont you try fortuner ? heck of a suv and has all the power you want .

@Asfar:
I too met an accident last year,our car also bruised a truck and overturned,but still we guys went for a sedan because if it would have been an SUV then maybe we would have got even more seriously hurt.
But one thing for sure is is that you also now know the value of safety in cars like I do.Right?
On TSi part:My running is also about 4000-4500 kms per month(per car),but still we went for TSi just because we wanted it.One test drive was enough to force us to buy one.My father uses that car,he is always happy on its rear seat and chauffy is more than happy driving 160 horses(don't laugh hearing that I own a chauffeur driven TSi and self driven Corolla D-4D-its a true irony of my life).[frustration]

Have you kept open the used car option too?If yes,then I'd recommend you to check out for a Pajero SFX.This cas has great ride and handling and no doubt then respect that Pajero uncle get is somethign even Fortuners also carve for.

Else I'd recommend you XUV 500 AWD,it has considerably better ride and the FWD one and 140 horses mated to a perfect gearbox make it quite a sprinter too.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
@Asfar:
I too met an accident last year,our car also bruised a truck and overturned,but still we guys went for a sedan because if it would have been an SUV then maybe we would have got even more seriously hurt.
But one thing for sure is is that you also now know the value of safety in cars like I do.Right?
On TSi part:My running is also about 4000-4500 kms per month(per car),but still we went for TSi just because we wanted it.One test drive was enough to force us to buy one.My father uses that car,he is always happy on its rear seat and chauffy is more than happy driving 160 horses(don't laugh hearing that I own a chauffeur driven TSi and self driven Corolla D-4D-its a true irony of my life).

Have you kept open the used car option too?If yes,then I'd recommend you to check out for a Pajero SFX.This cas has great ride and handling and no doubt then respect that Pajero uncle get is somethign even Fortuners also carve for.

Else I'd recommend you XUV 500 AWD,it has considerably better ride and the FWD one and 140 horses mated to a perfect gearbox make it quite a sprinter too.
Chauffer driven TSI and self driven Corolla..
I can totally understand your plight bro [;)]
I did see a few used Pajeros because seriously these Pajero Uncles do have a terrific road image [glasses]
Not getting any nice deal in it though with lesser cars here in Indore. Haven't yet tried the gurgaoan market owing to a lot of gimmicks prevalent there.

And accidents really leave such a lot of realizations behind. Glad it wasn't life threatening in your case either [:)]

Even I was thinking that SUVs inspite of having that huge 2 tonne structure are lesser safe than the sedans. [Should we comment a tall stance to be the culprit because the chasis and body all are more strudy in an SUV then why is it that a scorpio with similar airbags and ABS has lesser ANCAP with equivalent sedan. However the ANCAP for scorpio was 3 and that of fiesta or honda city was 4 that too because the car had side and curtain airbags, not having ones might have made them end with 3 either. Would like you views over it Vipul !]
For instance the close competition to a scorpio in the sedan segment under my range is being given by Fiesta classic titanium at 9.2 lacs OTR with dual airbags and ABS and the other one doing it is a Verna Fluidic SX with similar safety features.
Vento and Rapid again due to my own strange perception of looks didn't appeal me much. Rapid , however I am still thinking to see it once more!
I was wondering that certainly Fiesta is a safer car I guess than the scorpio [However not sure of the Verna though]
Should I end up the confusion for me and go and pick the same good old Fiesta I drove happily for 9 months.

What is your say about Verna Vipul ?
I haven't driven it for more than 2 kms that too in the city so obviously have no idea of that much condemned handling and driver dynamics.
But everywhere I have read, it has been treated as unsafe above 80km/hr.
I am driving a 2008 made honda city gxi.
Now obviously it feels unsafe at 100 and I don't like its driving dynamics and handling at all [whenever I remember the Fiesta]. Will a Verna be very much similar to Honda City ? After-all they look quite alike in build and dynamics.
I am asking this because its difficult for me to ask these hyundai guys to give me a TD where I can check this myself. [They are selling so many Vernas that they don't pay a penny towards our concerns]

I just feel that if a Verna is going to give that similar boat like handling then its better to have the similar thing with atleast more powerful road image [in a scorpio or safari]

XUV, somehow these days my dislike for its look has reduced and I am able to tolerate its looks now. Will take a TD soon as its Ramazan, and I didn't have enough fuel in my stomach to make me propel the car like a rocket during the day time.
But now my range is till that W6 at 13 lacs OTR. This lack all those much praised goodies. Even the seats are fabric and look smaller and lesser bulky compared to the W8. White isn't available in W6 so I will go incase I do, for a full black one which somehow doesn't gel at all with the interiors in a W6.

Last edited:

Top Bottom