Same Day Return: Monsoon Getaway Near Pune

Thread Starter #1
My team is looking for a good spot near Pune for a day excursion. The place must be a same day return trip preferably by 5-6 PM in the evening. Group of 15, no plans for trekking, since women colleagues are also there so a safe place is a must. With good food options at or near the picnic spot. Waterfalls are welcome. I was suggesting Tamhini but apart from picturesque views what are the food options over there(read Lunch)

My team is looking for a good spot near Pune for a day excursion. The place must be a same day return trip preferably by 5-6 PM in the evening. Group of 15, no plans for trekking, since women colleagues are also there so a safe place is a must. With good food options at or near the picnic spot. Waterfalls are welcome. I was suggesting Tamhini but apart from picturesque views what are the food options over there(read Lunch)
Last weekend i driven from Tamhini. Few waterfalls are there along the road which are crowded by hooligans, there is one more waterfall when you descend Tamhini which is less crowded but you need to go inside it from road.

There are food options at Mulshi, the first one is Paradise Cafe, second one is Basho, third is Green Gates Resort, fourth is Vittal Kamat (I won't prefer it) and last is Orchid Cafe (a bit costly affair) after you descend the ghat completely.

Why don't you book one day resort for this monsoon considering the group. There are many around like Prathamesh Resort, Girivan, Malhar Machi, Surya Shibir etc.

Thread Starter #3
Last weekend i driven from Tamhini. Few waterfalls are there along the road which are crowded by hooligans, there is one more waterfall when you descend Tamhini which is less crowded but you need to go inside it from road.

There are food options at Mulshi, the first one is Paradise Cafe, second one is Basho, third is Green Gates Resort, fourth is Vittal Kamat (I won't prefer it) and last is Orchid Cafe (a bit costly affair) after you descend the ghat completely.

Why don't you book one day resort for this monsoon considering the group. There are many around like Prathamesh Resort, Girivan, Malhar Machi, Surya Shibir etc.
Thanks for the info GrandRk, they all prefer to return by evening hence looking out for options where the fun ends by evening and then back to base. So you say Tamhini is all crowded by hooligans, so it will be better not to stop at those. How are the road conditions? and exactly how many kms to drive till you "actually" reach Tamhini from Chandni Chowk? I have been on that road last year searching for Tamhini ghat we drove for about 40 kms and then made a u-turn and came back. I wanted to know from exactly where you see those beautiful valleys,waterfalls etc.

On the food thing, I have tried Basho and was okayish. The chicken was rubbery and the fish was stale. But as we were all drenched and famished we ate it.

Where had you eaten, looking for non options, preferably fish.

Thanks for the info GrandRk, they all prefer to return by evening hence looking out for options where the fun ends by evening and then back to base. So you say Tamhini is all crowded by hooligans, so it will be better not to stop at those. How are the road conditions? and exactly how many kms to drive till you "actually" reach Tamhini from Chandni Chowk? I have been on that road last year searching for Tamhini ghat we drove for about 40 kms and then made a u-turn and came back. I wanted to know from exactly where you see those beautiful valleys,waterfalls etc.

On the food thing, I have tried Basho and was okayish. The chicken was rubbery and the fish was stale. But as we were all drenched and famished we ate it.

Where had you eaten, looking for non options, preferably fish.
How to know Tamhini Ghat:-
1) Tamhini starts at approximate 50 Kms from Chandani Chowk.
2) The ghat starts as soon as "Green Gates Resort" (prior known as BigByte) is on your right side.
3) Mulshi lake will not be available on your right as soon as ghat starts
3) You will find Vittal Kamat on your right in ascend on Tamhini Ghat.

The road in Tamhini Ghat is all good. Beside few hooligans you also need to keep eye on bikers who ride to Tamhini on weekends. As soon as you are on top then you can have view of enitre Kokan region. The waterfalls are enroute so can't tell you exact location.

Panoramic view of Tamhini
Tamhini Ghat Panaroma.jpg

Konkan view
Tamhini Ghat View (768x1024).jpg

There are ladies in your group hence i would recommend to book one day package (9:00am to 5:00pm) somewhere in other resort instead on going in Tamhini.

Check my travelogue for more information on resort.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for giving those details. I will throw in the idea of Girivan to them, lets see what is their take on that.

Top Bottom