Safest Cars in India (Segment wise)

Though cannot comment about Tata
The problem with TATA cars is that it lacks both active as well as passive safety features.

Active features include good handling, brakes, low noise level in interior, EBD, traction control (Some understandable being a budget car)

Passive safety features are the ones will help you when you hit something or are hit! Features like passenger safety cell, deformation zones and fuel pump kill switch. The biggest problem with TATA cars are horrible deformation zones or rather lack off!

When you hit something, parts of the body are supposed to get crushed to absorb impact. This does not happen in for example a Indica or a Safari. Being made of strong metal will only help in extremely minor hits, but with anything major that same strength can get you killed. Also not good for pedestrian safety.

About safety cell, a friend of mine was in a kinda serious frontal accident, the most serious damage was that the brake pedal somehow on impact when up and broke is ankle!

The above is mostly regarding older TATA cars. I am not sure how they have processed in recent 1-2 years.

hyundai i20 looks safe on paper but afaik with people whom have driven it beyond 120kmph it does not inspire confidence in driver.
again that should also be a prime concern in safety that is handelling.!!

in hatchback no doubt punto emotion+ and polo high line.

again sedan also would be shared by fiat and volks wagon.
both are built very tough and have very good handelling capability

in suv it is scorpio well built and better braking capabilities (dont know about captiva)

mpv should toyota innova with better aero design and better weight to size ratio it would provide comparitively better handelling and control.
Add to your list of hatchbacks, the Skoda Fabia.

Princess Diana died in a car accident when she was with Dodi in BMW ! (I guess).
Former Delhi CM – Mr.Sahib Singh died in a car accident when he was coming from Jaipur in Safari (Correct me if I am wrong.)
So no car is safe. BMWs are one of the finest and on which Dodi and Diana was must have been a fully packed but fate had something else for them.

(IT SHOULD BE). Hyundai is also a notch above Maruti but European cars are far too better for these Asians.
And as many suggested, “DRIVING HABITS” plays a major role to make or break any situation.[thumbsup]
Yes you are right but there are two corrections. Princess Diana died in a W140 Merc S-Class, which is considered as a tank. There are two versions of the speeding part, some say they were at 120kmph and the accident was in fact a murder. Others say it was at 196kmph. Anyway, thats immaterial. Secondly, Mr.Sahib Singh died but his bodyguard sitting in the middle row, Mr. Jasbeer Singh, survived. Thats the official version.

As suggested by most, no cars are safe if driven irresponsibly, but still it can be said that in the 'Same conditions of speed, road conditions, driver alertness etc. different cars will suffer different amount of damage.'

Taking that fact into account, SUV's are and have been proved to be safer than anything else. But some have mentioned Innova as a safe car.. Please change your opinion because i know of a innova crash at 70kmph in which two people died. Reason: Innova's bonnet is sloped down, so what happened is that the Captiva that hit the innova went over the bonnet in a sort of climb and crushed the front cabin killing the driver and the passenger.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
Folks,

Nice to see good discussion on this topic [cheers]

Yes, no car is safe if driven carelessly and recklessly.

IMO, manufacturers should reveal their testing results and safety ratings for all the models and train the dealers to inform the customers. Government should pass a law and make it mandatory !

On a personal note - do you know anybody involved in a serious accident involving Scorpio? Did its safety features like Airbags, Crumple Zones help save precious lives ?

I will be getting Scorpio this weekend [:D]

350Z

Core Team
On a personal note - do you know anybody involved in a serious accident involving Scorpio? Did its safety features like Airbags, Crumple Zones help save precious lives ? I will be getting Scorpio this weekend
Yes, those safety features does help of course but again the point boils down on how the impact occurs and lot of other certain and uncertain circumstances. A thread in our forum has pictures of some crushed Scorpios, like this and this. But since you are getting one home soon, I would suggest simply keeping such thoughts away and enjoying the brand new car by driving it safely always. And don’t forget to create new thread about your car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

@ Countrock Agree with you about older TATA cars , but Aria is something different from them. Infact the Aria has everything which you have mentioned above TATA cars don't have!

@ Sudarshang I feel SUV'S are generally safer than all other cars , so enjoy your car and drive safe , wishing you many happy miles with the car!

Which is the safest car in India?

Which is the safest car in India?

On highway or in City driving
Hatchback or a Sedan or a Suv or a Muv?
Budget wise <5 Lakh <8Lakh or <10 Lakh?
OR segment wise A,B,C .. ?

@Mods: Please move if thread already exists.

Top Bottom