RPM : Speed : Gear Position

Hyundai has special gear lock mechanism,reverse is put by pressing a putton underneath gear top.
Then normal gear shift.
Apart from reverse gear, Hyundai has standard forward gear pattern. Does any body came across any other gear patterns of forward gears ?

Thread Starter #94
i think skoda vehicle has reverse gear next to first gear on top. I have seen this in some other vehicles.

Yes recently happened to drive my friends i10 Grand and found the reverse gear as like skoda, but only difference was with a small push button.

Please give me technical reason on how rpm reduces at top gears
As far as I understand by my modest knowledge, at top gear say 5th, the torque generated is minimum as engine shaft directly runs the car wheels. So less engine RPM is suffice to maintain the speed of vehicle. Less speed=higher torque[ lower gear ie bigger diameter gear wheel]=high engine RPM.
Friends may correct if I am wrong.[:D]

As far as I understand by my modest knowledge, at top gear say 5th, the torque generated is minimum as engine shaft directly runs the car wheels. So less engine RPM is suffice to maintain the speed of vehicle. Less speed=higher torque[ lower gear ie bigger diameter gear wheel]=high engine RPM.
Friends may correct if I am wrong.[:D]
Thank you @Sidd7hartha.....
Let me clear my doubt...take your car as an example
1. What will be the engine rpm and how it should be @ 1st and top gear?
2. If rpm reduces at top gear, i want to know whether it is happening automatically?
3. If not automatic, how will you control the engine rpm?

Thank you @Sidd7hartha.....
Let me clear my doubt...take your car as an example
1. What will be the engine rpm and how it should be @ 1st and top gear?
2. If rpm reduces at top gear, i want to know whether it is happening automatically?
3. If not automatic, how will you control the engine rpm?
I am no expert. We layman think of fuel efficiency more. I asked on a social site regarding best RPM for my Ritz. The reply was to keep it between 1.7 to 2.2. Generally I did not exceed 2.5 RPM. Now I try to answer your queries as far my modest driving knowledge permits:-
1. If you start your car you will find idle RPM is 1 or 0.98 and it comes down more the engines heats up. Put in 1st gear and move at 10 Km/hr speed, the RPM will be 1 to 1.5
I generally shift to 5th gear from 4th at 50-60 Km/hr when RPM generally >2.2.

2.As soon you move to 5th the RPM automatically comes down to 1.5
3. Engine RPM changes with gearshift and acceleration. If one accelerates in 2nd gear to 40 Km/hr, RPM will sore high. But a up shift will bring it down at same acceleration.[:)]

I am no expert. We layman think of fuel efficiency more. I asked on a social site regarding best RPM for my Ritz. The reply was to keep it between 1.7 to 2.2. Generally I did not exceed 2.5 RPM. Now I try to answer your queries as far my modest driving knowledge permits:-
1. If you start your car you will find idle RPM is 1 or 0.98 and it comes down more the engines heats up. Put in 1st gear and move at 10 Km/hr speed, the RPM will be 1 to 1.5
I generally shift to 5th gear from 4th at 50-60 Km/hr when RPM generally >2.2.

2.As soon you move to 5th the RPM automatically comes down to 1.5
3. Engine RPM changes with gearshift and acceleration. If one accelerates in 2nd gear to 40 Km/hr, RPM will sore high. But a up shift will bring it down at same acceleration.[:)]
Thanks again Mr.Sid[clap] you are an expert now[;)]

Top Bottom