RPM : Speed : Gear Position

Re: RPM and Fuel efficiency

Generally low rpm & highest gear possible gives you the better mileage. However depends upon engine to engine.

On my Jazz, the sweet spot is at 5th gear @ 2800-3000 rpm at 83-84 km/hr -- gives me above average mileage (21-22 km/lt).

I am very light light on foot, i usually drive at low rpm 1.5 to 2k ~50 kmph, WagonR

I have Skoda Rapid Elegance Petrol MT , What should be the ideal RPM for each gear . Where can I get the company recommended ideal RPM ?

I have Skoda Rapid Elegance Petrol MT , What should be the ideal RPM for each gear . Where can I get the company recommended ideal RPM ?
It should be mentioned in the manual or they should have pasted a sticker somewhere inside the car.

I guess Rapid has a (ideal) gear shift indicator and if you stick to this gear changes correctly you can easily get 20-22KM mileage.

In my Vento I either look at the gear shift indicator OR there is a mileage indicator which shows the running mileage (not the average mileage). Occasionally if I am curious to check the mileage I follow these [:D]

It should be mentioned in the manual or they should have pasted a sticker somewhere inside the car.

I guess Rapid has a (ideal) gear shift indicator and if you stick to this gear changes correctly you can easily get 20-22KM mileage.

In my Vento I either look at the gear shift indicator OR there is a mileage indicator which shows the running mileage (not the average mileage). Occasionally if I am curious to check the mileage I follow these [:D]
Are you sure that a rapid petrol will give 20-22 Kms mileage ?

Lower the RPM, higher the FE; ofcourse it doesn't mean that RPM should be so low that car starts knocking. [;)]

And it varies upon diesel & petrol; diesel has lower rpms, but best to check user manual as it depends on car to car & engine to engine.

This is infact a very good discussion which is haunting me for some time now..
In my Bolero and Alto, there was no RPM indicator so i use to follow
1 gear- 0-20 speed
2 gear- 20- 30 speed
3 gear- 30 - 40 speed
4 gear- 40 - 50 speed
5 gear- >50
Which use to give me good enough expected millage of 12 and 15 respectively (city drive)
But now in my new Scorpio Mhawk, I am not able to adjust understand the speed and RPM.
Book says
1 gear- 0-30 speed
2 gear- 30- 50 speed
3 gear- 50 - 60 speed
4 gear- 60 - 80 speed
5 gear- >80
But the prob is i am unable to drive in those as RPM raises high above to 2K in 1st gear and makes me feel very uncomfortable and end of mixing stuff.

Need some expects suggestions on Whats the optimal useage of RPM and gear shifts for my ride pls.

While you are driving when AC is on, you should keep the speed at least 60kmph in top gear to get smooth power from engine. This should be some where around 2.2 K rpm. This goes for all the gears. When AC is on you should have above 2K rpm to have a smoother drive. The lawest speed at which you start feeling smooth engine power output, you are getting good fuel efficency. This discussion is most suitable for petrol engine. I drive i20 sportz which has got gear shift indicator that is helpfull too.

Is there any speed vs rpm vs gear usage stuff which i can adopt for better power and millage? (On/Off AC)

i follow the least speed for 5th gear as 80kmph
0-20 in 1st
20-40 in 2nd
40-60 in 3rd
60-80 in 4th
above 80-5th at 1800rpm

I drive Hyundai Accent:
When I drive sedate,
I will be in 5th gear when the speed is ~50 KMPH. I shift my gera between 1.5k to 2K.
FE: 11 -12 in City (I guess maximum for Accent!)
When I am in a mood to swing, my gear shifting pattern are as below,
1st Gear 0-20
2nd Gear 20 - 60
3rd Gear 60 and above and bang, I need to brake, I'm in Bangalore, we got loads of speed/Car breakers here.
FE: 10, but never checked as I don't rev normally while checking FE and I don't have MID too.

I drive sedate almost 95% of time, since I've drive safe and arrive safe TAI sticker in my car!

Vehicle (Past): Yamaha R15, Pune
Never shift any gears below 8K rpm. Love revving the Yamaha engines. Drove from Pune to Hyderabad in 6:30 Hrs.
FE: Never known my FE, filled my tank, ripped, refueled, ripped and sold finally when I moved from India.

Last edited:

Top Bottom