RPM : Speed : Gear Position

I can understand. My Dad's Spark has analog console. He too was curious about the RPM meter.[:)]

Thread Starter #47
@Sethumurugan, if you lug the engine, fuel consumption will increase. for your spark, try 2000 rpm to change gear if you want to go by RPM. Driving below 1400RPM and above 2600 RPM fuel consumption will increase. Try to stick between 2000-2400 RPM.
Can I say, that reach 2000 - 2400 rpm as early as possible by changing gears. But I think reaching 1500-1700 was not a problem. but reaching 2000 and above [roll] let me check today or tommorow.

Well, try to drive between 2000-2400 RPM whenever possible for optimum performance. that's it.

@sethumurugan: You will never achieve the best fuel efficiency by reaching any rpm range 'as early as possible' -its actually the best way to achieve fuel inefficiency!

Instead, always accelerate extremely gradually (imagine that there's an egg placed between the accelerator pedal and the footwell behind it and that you will be shot in the head if you break the egg) and maintaining a constant speed in higher gears (60-70kmph is the best range) for the maximum amount of time. That's what is meant by 'driving with a feather light right foot'.

Last edited:
Excellent explanation by Sam Dinkar. He has summarized everything within those lines.

All, This has cleared all my doubts about RPM vs gear change limits. Thank you all. Infact in my scorpio i have tried this RPM to be maintained between 2000 to 2500 and appropriate gear change. It worked wonders. I can see the FE of 13 in city over these days.

Sam, You egg method is really funny. Great explanation man. :)

@krish_go: Try this for even greater fuel efficiency: don't use the accelerator to move forward in the first two gears- release the clutch gradually and the Scorpio would amble forward (the Scorpio's engine has enough torque at idling to move the vehicle forward without any input from the accelerator). Upshift to 3rd at 1500 rpm, to 4th at 2000 rpm and to 5th again at 2000 rpm. Maintain a steady speed in top gear, preferably 65kmph. Accelerate extremely gradually in all gears. You shall have to do this at least on one tankfull to tankfull basis in order to average out your fuel efficiency calculation.

And tell us the good news [:)].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #53
@sethumurugan: You will never achieve the best fuel efficiency by reaching any rpm range 'as early as possible' -its actually the best way to achieve fuel inefficiency!

Instead, always accelerate extremely gradually (imagine that there's an egg placed between the accelerator pedal and the footwell behind it and that you will be shot in the head if you break the egg) and maintaining a constant speed in higher gears (60-70kmph is the best range) for the maximum amount of time. That's what is meant by 'driving with a feather light right foot'.
I think if there is a egg between accelerator pedal and footwell behind am sure would have crushed it some times. I have did that mistake some times. Let me try not to do it again. Thanks for the easy and understandable explanations Mr. Sam dinkar.

@Sam- Thanx for the tips. Yes i donot use accelerator in gear 1 and 2 most of the time. But by the time i reachout to gear 3 or 4, RPM is already between 2k to 2.5 k crossing 3k sometimes. Is this to normal?
Let me try this 2k to 2.5k range this week till weekend and update you by monday.
Thanx again buddy!!

@Sam- Thanx for the tips. Yes i donot use accelerator in gear 1 and 2 most of the time. But by the time i reachout to gear 3 or 4, RPM is already between 2k to 2.5 k crossing 3k sometimes. Is this to normal?
Let me try this 2k to 2.5k range this week till weekend and update you by monday.
Thanx again buddy!!
arent you in the run in period now? in this case you should not be going above 2k rpm. max upto 2.5k RPM>

Is this RPM range 1500 to 2400 is applicable to all cars for maximum fuel efficiency?
Mine is Ritz,which is a 1200 cc car. So far I am taught to shift gear according to speed not according to RPM though my car is equipped with RPM reader.

Driving below 1400RPM and above 2600 RPM fuel consumption will increase. Try to stick between 2000-2400 RPM.
Is this RPM range applicable to all cars? Mine is Ritz (petrol),which is a 1200 cc car. So far I am taught to drive car according to speed,though my car is equipped with RPM reader. If I drive around 20 km/hr in 2nd gear and RPM is 1000,what will be the effect?

Is this RPM range applicable to all cars? Mine is Ritz (petrol),which is a 1200 cc car. So far I am taught to drive car according to speed,though my car is equipped with RPM reader. If I drive around 20 km/hr in 2nd gear and RPM is 1000,what will be the effect?
See buddy, the carburetor or fuel injection system of any vehicle is tuned to give dense fuel supply at low and high engine speeds, or say the engine speeds at which the torque requirement is higher. Rest ECU uncle also plays his role to decide what he needs to send to engine.

For a car like Ritz petrol, it can be efficient upto 3500 rpm, though the highest efficiency you will get must lie around 2000, but you need to see that you are not straining the engine, like while ascending a slope etc, as that time the ECU will send fuel rich supply to engine for attaining the required torque, hence killing the efficiency.

I don't understand the efficiency theories given here.
In simple english, if you are heavy on accelerator your car will consume more petrol then not thrashing at all
RPM readings vary according to car's engine.
Inline 3 cylinder may attain 100kmph at 4000rpm in 5th gear where as 4 cylinder will attain 100 at 3500 and V6 at 3000 and V8 at 1800.

If you don't worry too much about people passing you then you dont need to worry about fuel efficiency figures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom