Royal Enfield

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys,
Now I am planning to buy a old Enfield (around 80 model) and i want to do all the engine works, to change all wiring, i don't want to modify the bike, but i like to get the Harley heart thump potato potato sound [:D]. so what i have to do to get the thump sound?
also guys please advise me on what all i have to do on the workshop, what all i have to take care?

The old bullets though reliable had many problems.Oil leakage was the main problem faced.Even the mileage wasn't good.
To get the "thum" all you need to do is restore the original silencer neatly,that's it.(It wont sound like Harley but better than new gen bullets)

Engine works will include carb cleaning,tuning,piston ring changing,etc etc.

All depends on what condition bike you get,how good the mechanic is & how much MONEY-TIME you have to spend on the bike.

Hey guys,
Now I am planning to buy a old Enfield (around 80 model) and i want to do all the engine works, to change all wiring, i don't want to modify the bike, but i like to get the Harley heart thump potato potato sound [:D]. so what i have to do to get the thump sound?
also guys please advise me on what all i have to do on the workshop, what all i have to take care?
Harley Sound is impossible to get(Afterall ,Bullets are Single Engined Thumpers).However ,You can Shoehorn the Bike to have Good Thump By going for BSA Goldstar like Silencers,Mixing Engine Oil with 1/3 SAE90 GearOil Etc(Not Recommended).Buy any Bullet with proper papers ,Especially Pre -1974 (Englisch?) One has a great demand in market.Especially the Bullets Till 1961(Imported Bullets).From 1961 till 1974 England Parts are Supposedly used in making the Bullet ,Hence the "Demand"[thumbswink]

For the Works on Bullet ,Give it to a Very Good Mechanic having the reputation and ability to complete the work flawlessly.After ,I guess Orange County Choppers,American Choppers Like TV Shows(May be) ,Many guys are into restoring Bullets.

These days old bullets also are asked for a good premium ,at least in Kerala(1961 RE Bullet restored asking price Rs 1,15,000!!![shock]).What the Guys do is ,Buy a Bullet even in scrap condition(with original papers ready) and Build up from scratch.This Costs anywhere from Rs40000 to a Lakh.I have personally seen such works.Parts are sourced from Coimbatore(Lachcu,Aditya dealers).Critical Works(like Modifications) are done normally in D'Silva's Workshop Coimbatore By Many Mechanics.

Usually People will be knowing a Good Mechanic famous for Bullet Works in any town/region.I am aware of RE Dealer too did Modifications.The Dealer Name is "Javeens" Kottayam(IIRC).

And ,If you want a Harley Look A Like and somewhat Good Thump As Well ,Check "Chamber Jose" near Kaloor Stadium,Cochin.He does the work well.But it usually go above 1 lakh rupees.Search for "Chamber Jose" or Harley bullet cochin etc ,may be some pics are available online? Personally ,I don't like Bullets modded to Harley wanna-be.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom