Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350X or Bajaj Dominar 400?

Thread Starter #1
Dear Experts,

Let me first give a little about my background first before shooting up the questions.

I am not new to this forum and currently having Skoda 1.6 MT Petrol for last 1 year ( Sold Fial Punto 1.3 before buying Rapid 1.6 ) and a Mahindra Flyte for last 9 years ( Now mostly used by my wife). For last 20 years ( while starting my job carrier I had dream/plan to buy a Royal Enfield, but it never happened till now.). I am almost 45 years , 6 Ft. tall, and around 78-80 kg. I stay in Bangalore for last 14 years. I do solo trekking in Himalayas sometimes.

The issue I am facing :

1: For 8 km drive (from home to office and back) I spoil 2.5 hrs. daily to drive my car.
2: As the scooter occupied by my wife so I need a 2 wheeler to go here & there.
3: Sometime ( maybe once a year) love to tour a long drive in bike. ( I donot get time due to office work.)

Test Drive by myself will not help as I never drove bikes. [confused]

My options :

1: RE Thunderbird 350X (Due to Looks, thud thud sound)

OR

2: BAJAJ Donimar 400 ABS ( Due to ABS, nice Power, nice Torque, powerful brake, Good light, and nice feedbacks in youtube.

Points to be notes :

I need the following :

1: Low / Easy in maintenance,
2: Easy to handle,
3: Will never cross more than 80 Km / hr.
4: Like Cruiser type bike (no sports bike please).
5: Good Braking, lights,
6.: scope to add touring items.

Question:

1: As a 45 years old should I buy a buy of this kind that too as the first bike in life?
2: If yes which one should I buy : Thunderbird 350X OR Donimar 400 ABS.

Thanks in advance for all your time and support.

regards

Re: Thunderbird 350x or dominar 400?

I would suggest Dominar only because it has ABS. ABS is a must for any situation on 2 wheels. Also, the Dominar is a decent cruiser.

Apart from Thud sound Dominar beats Thunderbird in everything, has more refined engine, console, looks, quality, acceleration and just everything. Easy choice for me.

1: As a 45 years old should I buy a buy of this kind that too as the first bike in life?
It depends on your riding skill and confidence. Normally I would not suggest anyone to owns mid segment bike as their first bike. Because one un-intended twist of throttle can make you go out of control (except RE).

2: If yes which one should I buy : Thunderbird 350X OR Donimar 400 ABS.
IMHO

Thrunderbird 350x :
-newely designed but same old.
- Simple engine and easy to repair.
- Nothing fancy, so not that many issue crop up apart from regular RE stuff.
- Cheap accessories.
- Less waiting time for repairs.

Dominor 400 ABS :
- Good bike for touring.
- NVH & low FE in city traffic.
- Cheap to maintain.
- Complicated to do engine maintenance.
- Spares are not easily accessible.
- Best LED headlight in market.

If you can wait I suggest you to wait till APRIL 2019 as 2 wheeler segment is becoming competitive with many new launches and compulsory ABS above 125cc rule.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Thanks All.

@krishna6239

Thanks a TON for your time and advice.
It depends on your riding skill and confidence. Normally I would not suggest anyone to owns mid segment bike as their first bike. Because one un-intended twist of throttle can make you go out of control (except RE).
I also fear on the same. But I have a fair amount of quick reflex and confidence . [;)]

I am also thinking to wait till april, 2019 , will also be exact 45 by that time. :)

One more point : Why Dealers(BAJAJ) asking 2% extra if I pay by Credit card? (RE asking for 1%)

I spoke to my relationship manager of my Bank and she told it is illegal but cannot do anything here.

Any advice please?

One more point : Why Dealers(BAJAJ) asking 2% extra if I pay by Credit card? (RE asking for 1%)
Credit card transaction companies charge dealers 2% for processing a transaction. These dealers are levying than charge on us.
They even add transportation charges on us, but it should also be borne by dealers as per court order.
By my experience paying in cash helps in negotiating better deals with motorcycle dealers.

Thread Starter #8

Thanks.

Sir, Any idea about how soon Thunderbird 350x with duel ABS with be available?

Any idea about how soon Thunderbird 350x with duel ABS with be available?
No need to call me "Sir", I'm 20 years younger than you.
Regarding Thunderbird 350X, If they have already started testing with dual channel ABS, they might launch it at JAN of 2019. If they plan on making changes to the system it can be postponed to April of 2019.

Thread Starter #10
Re: Thunderbird 350x or Dominar 400?

Thanks krishna6239 Bhai. (Knowledge weightage is more important than number of years) [:D]

After all your input I had a lot brainstorming last night. Based on that decided the following.

Even a person like me who is knowing absolutely NOTHING about bikes understander the following :

1: Dominar 400 is far far far ahead (technically) in all ways than any RE bikes.
2: Himalayan touring in my age and work scenario might never be possible. I will buy for some city tour ( 80%) and others (20%).
3: Dual-channel ABS is MUST for the bike I will buy.
4: I like simple up-right position to ride the bike (not the sport type).
5: Speed/bike race is NOT my interest. Just want to enjoy the ride.
6: Purcheshing the bike is not NEED for me but WANT.
7: I donot need huge power/torque in the bike.
8: I can wait for next 6-8 months also.
9: The looks of Dominar is NOT good for me but whenever I see any RE bike I try to watch as long as possible.
10: Investing more than INR 1.5 L in a bike I will now think many times. So Dominar with price tag of 2 L ..... I need to think.
11: Want to keep the bike till I live. No resale in mide.
12: As a brand I donot trust BAJAJ. I like the YAMAHA as brand.

Now depending on the all above points I am thinking following :

As the ABS will be mandatory from April, 2019, So:-

1: I want to wait and see if
a> FZ25 comes with dual channel ABS ?
b> RE classic 350 redditch / Bullet 350 ES comes with dual channel ABS, Tubeless tyre, all disk break?
c> Thunderbird 350x comes with dual channel ABS ?

2: If none of the options A /B/C not happening then will be forced to go for Dominar 400 at last.

What is your opinion as experts please?

Thanks,

Re: Thunderbird 350x or Dominar 400?

a> FZ25 comes with dual channel ABS ?
FZ25 Already launched ABS variant in Brazil, They are yet to launch in India. For my height (6ft 3") I felt FZ25 is the best since we sit at upright position and no back pain. And XT250 engine is fun to ride in city due to it's low torque.

b> RE classic 350 redditch / Bullet 350 ES comes with dual channel ABS, Tubeless tyre, all disk break?
c> Thunderbird 350x comes with dual channel ABS ?
By my knowledge ABS works only with disk brakes system in motorcycle. I have no idea regarding Tubelesss tyres, If RE wants to stay in competition they have to update certain things.

What is your opinion as experts please?
IMHO. If you can wait, then it's better to wait. Competition in mid sze 2 wheeler segment just started this season, lot of big players are entering India market Mid segment.
Always listen to your heart, as long as you are happy nothing else matters in this world.

PS : Please do consider good riding gear (armored jacket, armored trousers & gloves) and safe helmet before purchasing a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Thanks!

I will wait for FZ25 with dual channel ABS for:

1: Yamaha Quality
2: less weight bike
3: OK pricing

will also wait for RE Bullet ES/Classic Redditch/Thunderbird 350x with dual channel ABS for :

1: Looks, Sound
2: Comfort

If these does not come true till Dec, 2018, will move towards Dominar 400 or something else.

One more question:

Can I take FZ25/RE Bullet/RE Classic/RE Thunderbird easily in Himalary touring (Like I see people are taking their Dominar 400 in those off -road in Himalaya?)

Can I take FZ25/RE Bullet/RE Classic/RE Thunderbird easily in Himalayan touring (Like I see people are taking their Dominar 400 in those off -road in Himalaya?)
By my riding experience it is easier to take RE classic, FZ25, RE Himalayan in off road terrain than Dominar 400 or RE Thunderbird.
Basically, low end torque is easier to ride in city and mountain.

As long as you have a good bike, reliable tire, money for food & fuel and riding skill, you can conquer the world.

Thread Starter #15
Guys,

After a TON to research and thought process decided to keep the Dominar 400 out of competition.

Reason:

1: Cost is 2L onroad. Bit high.
2: The main cause: Brand : BAJAJ. As I want to buy bike for long term so I donot thing can trust on B AJAJ quality,
3: Heavy bike : 182 Kg

The new options:

1st Choice : FZ25 with duel channel ABS : Will wait for this.

Or RE Bullet 350 ES / Thunderbird 350x with duel channel ABS:Very faint chance as I understand RE will not provide duel channel ABS in these model.

So, need to wait for FZ25 with duel channel ABS only.

Top Bottom