Royal Enfield Owners Beware: Cops Will Break Your Loud Silencer & Seize Your Bike

Thread Starter #1
Royal Enfield Owners with loud exhaust are being fined.

royal-enfield-illegal-exhaust-fine.jpg

Following complaints from citizens, citing specifically modified silencers on board Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycles, traffic police in Pune, Mysore, Bengaluru and in some regions of Kerala, have started fining owners. Traffic police are stopping Royal Enfield riders and checking their vehicles for modifications. If these motorcycles are found with loud exhaust notes, offenders are being charged under Section 190 (2) of MVA. Changes to the silencer, which causes a public nuisance, attracts a fine upto INR 1,000. In addition to this, traffic cops in Bangalore have started breaking the illegal exhausts on the spot. Below are the photos where a modified exhaust is being removed and being hammered on the spot.

While Bullet owners think owning an Enfield Bullet and modifying its sound as a status symbol, they are oblivious to the sound disturbance it causes. Deputy Commissioner of Pune Traffic Police, Sarang Awad initiated a noise pollution reduction drive last year. Last July he started this drive for three days. On the first day, 14th July, day 1 of the fine being introduced saw 43 cases being registered, while INR 11,200 was collected while on July 15th 88 cases were registered and INR 17,700 was collected. July 16th saw 49 cases being registered with INR 7,300 collected as fines, bringing total fines to INR 36,200.
Bangalore Police shared this on facebook

royal-enfield-exhaust-cops-1.jpg

Source: Rushlane

Re: Royal Enfield Owners Beware - Cops will break your loud silencer and seize your b

I must say that is a welcome move! I was wondering why they weren't doing it earlier. Even though I own a RE Bullet 500, I would say I was tempted earlier. But struck on to the stock one with the muted thump, worried about the noise pollution. The service centre do warn you, I suppose. They did tell me that it is illegal.

As it is, I am causing more pollution by having a 500cc bike where a 70-100cc will do (daily commute). I don't want to be seen causing noise pollution too.

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Royal Enfield Owners Beware - Cops will break your loud silencer and seize your b

Finally Im tired of annoying Bullet drivers driving like maniacs in Mumbai trying to act like some daring hunks
I hope more bikers get fined for rash driving etc
99% of them in Mumbai are a menace, pedestrians,bus drivers, car drivers etc will agree

Most RE riders think they are gracing the road by their presence. This order should be implemented across India to put them in their place. What is irritating is not just the noise - which is anyway very high on our roads - but the way they ride with no regard to other vehicles and pedestrians.
I have narrated in some other thread how I got irritated and lost my cool due to antics of a RE rider. I am sure others too have such stories to share but understandably hesitate to share it on public forum.

kkn13

Suspended

Funny thing I just had a near miss with a RE just moments ago
There was a cement mixer hogging the 1st lane , road was empty so I had to resort to overtaking from the left
Suddenly just as I cleared the truck, random pedestrian suddenly appears from the front of the truck which isnt exactly going slow for a large vehicle
I had enough time to brake and let the pedestrian cross whilst not letting another tailgating tempo hit me from behind
When I finally cleared the truck again, RE user decides to drop speed and come right in front of me and truck guy decides to speed up leaving no room for me to switch lanes to 1st lane
I give up and stay in 2nd lane because a signal suddenly appeared and RE went towards the left side onto the shoulder of the road
Just as Im reaching the traffic , he decides to come full right towards 1st lane again and an XUV in the 1st lane switches to 2nd lane just a foot in front of me forcing me to brake

I recently put a Bosch dual tone and gave them a full blare and rolled down the window to yell at them

Nearby cop pulled over the RE (but not the XUV, Cement Mixer who were driving very rash)

Thread Starter #8

I must say that is a welcome move! I was wondering why they weren't doing it earlier. Even though I own a RE Bullet 500, I would say I was tempted earlier. But struck on to the stock one with the muted thump, worried about the noise pollution. The service centre do warn you, I suppose. They did tell me that it is illegal.
This is a nice move but they should have done this earlier but as the number of RE owners increased drastically all over India within a small period of time, now they are hunting down the noise polluters. I too have struck on to the stock one with the muted thump from day one but still i feel it is more noisier than the TB stock exhaust.

Most RE riders think they are gracing the road by their presence. This order should be implemented across India to put them in their place. What is irritating is not just the noise - which is anyway very high on our roads - but the way they ride with no regard to other vehicles and pedestrians.
Yes, as you said they are making their presence with these exhausts. Even i have experienced in a different manner other than flyby's, once i was driving my RE with the stock exhaust (from day one) and the person with the other RE in front of me didn't honk to clear the traffic but he used his wild boar exhaust sound to make his presence and clear the traffic and the people around scolded at him but he flew away.

Charging a fine or seizing the bike is not a solution because the richer person might pay the bribe and buy a new exhaust from the stores and he goes or escapes out easily, selling of high decibel exhaust must be banned irrespective of the bike category and the owners of the superbikes must use only the stock exhaust (still noisier but it is tolerable) because there is also a rise in superbike purchase so action must also be taken with superbike owners with loud exhaust into consideration.

[frustration]
But why don't they ban manufacturing such exhausts?
And when are they cracking down the 4 megasonic horns from those 'White & white' walas?
Banning manufacturing would be quite difficult. If they ban them in India, people would import them from other countries. Also, manufacturers can always justify that they are not making these for road use and are to be used for off roading or inside private premises.

Most of the customization of the RE's were sold as off road kit as they were not ARAI approved.

A crack down for loud horns is also needed, but it would be much more difficult to implement as compared to the modified silencers. The reason being, most of the people with such horns, would not act 'horny' when they see a cop around. The bullets on the other have an option to reduce their sounds when they see a cop.

Top Bottom