Royal Enfield 350 Electra 2008: Restoration and Upgrades

Thread Starter #61
Hi, have fitted a tacho to the 2009 Electra. Mounted it on the handlebar with the bracket which came along with the kit. It's working fine but have a doubt. In idle position the tacho is reading 0, (ideally it should read 1-1.5) but when you increase throttle, it is reving upto 6-7 depending on the speed u go. Is this normal or any tweaking to be done ?
Hi Satish, Please share a picture of the same. Is that a 4 cylinder tacho by any chance? At idling it should show some reading above zero. What happens if you increase the idle speed from the carburetor. It may be the case that the tacho is not seeing the minimum frequency required to move the needle. Where have you hooked the tacho signal? Around the sparkplug wire or at the Ignition coil?

Thread Starter #63
No Change in idling . It is moving only on the go. I told the guy to wire it on the ignition coil. Correct me if I am wrong
The dial looks simple and plain & very well gels with the classic looks. Is that a universal tacho for 2-3-4-6 cylinders or else exactly for 1 cylinder? Good if connected to ignition coil.
For me it appears more like a sensitivity issue only. Since the full scale capability is till 13000 rpm, engine speed less than 1000 rpm might be too small for the tacho to read or display. Also check if there is a possibility of water ingress into the tacho through the pointer in the centre of the glass.

ok this tacho does not support TCI. Got it tested with a Tbird tacho which worked fine in the same connection done for this tacho. Hence discarded this tacho and fitted a Tbird Tacho with Fuel Gauge. Tweaked the bracket a little and it is sitting perfectly on the handlebar. Also restored the fuel gauge connection to this tacho and restored the ignition position to the original place. Idle reading is set between 0 and 1. But trust me this experience has given a lot of confidence and knowledge.

Thread Starter #65
Got it tested with a Tbird tacho which worked fine in the same connection done for this tacho. Hence discarded this tacho and fitted a Tbird Tacho with Fuel Gauge. Tweaked the bracket a little and it is sitting perfectly on the handlebar. Also restored the fuel gauge connection to this tacho and restored the ignition position to the original place. Idle reading is set between 0 and 1. But trust me this experience has given a lot of confidence and knowledge.
That's great. Again, please share the picture with TB Tacho. Yes, DIY also brings your ride closer to your heart.

Hi SatishCS, Fuel Gauge on your Electra is what I'm looking for, for my Classic 350 CC Bike. Can you please tell me how to fix it, like what all i need, your help will be greatly appreciated. My email: msampathi (at) yahoo.com

Thread Starter #67
Hi SatishCS, Fuel Gauge on your Electra is what I'm looking for, for my Classic 350 CC Bike. Can you please tell me how to fix it, like what all i need, your help will be greatly appreciated. My email: msampathi (at) yahoo.com
Check the 3rd post in this thread. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...tra-2008-restoration-upgrades.html#post357570
You will need a RE-Thunderbird or Boxer CT fuel sender unit, Bajaj Pulsar first model fuel guage and a old ammeter box of bullet, some pieces of wires, a lather guy to make the adaptor plate for the fuel sender, welder to weld it to the tank & a painter to paint the welded area. Sounds like lot of work, yes. But patient pays off in the end.
SatishCS has now installed Thunderbird Fuelguage & tacho directly in his bike. So you can ask him if you can buy the pulsar fuel guage inside the bullet ammeter from him.

I wanna add fuel guage by replacing AMP meter, also have to replace the stock speedometer with a similar one having Speedometer - Odometer & Trip Meter. Preferably the speedo in Mph.

Thread Starter #71
I wanna add fuel guage by replacing AMP meter, also have to replace the stock speedometer with a similar one having Speedometer - Odometer & Trip Meter. Preferably the speedo in Mph.
Which model of bullet have you got? CI or UCE?
Refer to page 1 of this thread & Satish's fuel sensor fitment. You will have to weld the fabricated piece to fit the sensor. This is the first step. For CI there is place available in the hand side of the tank just exactly the opposite side of fuel tap.
For UCE you will have to place the sensor in the left side itself but a little ahead of the fuel tap. Buy a fuel level sensor unit of Boxer CT or Thunderbird.

Hi,
I have ordered my first bike-Classic 350 black. I was sad that it didnt come with fuel indicators, trip meter and tachometer before I saw this post. Can anyone tell me which bullet doctor in chennai is capable of doing these mods perfectly. And I would also appreciate the if you could share the approximate price I would have to pay for these mods.

hi all,
I had taken up a similar project on fixing a fuel gauge for the RE 350 electra. After many searches for solutions and ideas, fixed up on getting a Tbird fuel sender unit and a customised gauge and now it is working perfect. In order to maintain the look of the Bull, shifted the ignition to below the seat and fixed the fuel gauge in that place. A carefully supervised welding in the tank did the trick. So the bull is now complete with a fuel gauge and no worries for my long trips. Will be happy to assist anyone.
Hi Sathis,
could you please give me the address of the workshop you visited to make these awesome mods??

Which model of bullet have you got? CI or UCE?
Refer to page 1 of this thread & Satish's fuel sensor fitment. You will have to weld the fabricated piece to fit the sensor. This is the first step. For CI there is place available in the hand side of the tank just exactly the opposite side of fuel tap.
For UCE you will have to place the sensor in the left side itself but a little ahead of the fuel tap. Buy a fuel level sensor unit of Boxer CT or Thunderbird.
I can get one from Boxer, but are the reading correct ? Also, is there any issues in the Bull after welding the tank? I am asking out of my ignorance, will there be a hole drill in the tank to fix a needle or some measuring sensor inside the tank inorder to assume the fuel level ?

Please enlighten me - I wish to know the technology behind this.

Thread Starter #74
I can get one from Boxer, but are the reading correct ? Also, is there any issues in the Bull after welding the tank? I am asking out of my ignorance, will there be a hole drill in the tank to fix a needle or some measuring sensor inside the tank inorder to assume the fuel level ?

Please enlighten me - I wish to know the technology behind this.
HI. NO rocket science inside. The reading is just the position of the sensor inside the tank. And the lower most & maximum levels inside both the tanks are almost same. Yes, a hole needs to be drilled / gas cut and the adaptor base for the level sensor has to be welded. Welding would have to be followed by a paint job.[:)]

HI. NO rocket science inside. The reading is just the position of the sensor inside the tank. And the lower most & maximum levels inside both the tanks are almost same. Yes, a hole needs to be drilled / gas cut and the adaptor base for the level sensor has to be welded. Welding would have to be followed by a paint job.[:)]
Thank You... I was really interested in it but afraid to take a risky job now. Instead, I want to install a smiths speedo in MPH which has trip meter. I have seen it in Royal Enfield Zone - Distributors and Exporters of Royal Enfield Bikes, Spare Parts and Accessories from New Delhi, India :: :: :: :: Extensive range of spares and accessories for Royal Enfield Bullet, Electra, Machismo, Thunderbird, Standard but have a doubt. O don't see any light indicators on any of those Smiths Speedo, how can the neutral, left-right drive and high-beam indicators work in it ? Has anyone tried it yet ?

Top Bottom