Route Suggestions: Trip to Kolkata From Ranchi (Now To Varanasi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Guys, i will be getting 2 days off from the really hectic work this weekend. Hence me and my friends are planning go for a road trip. The only destination that clicked us was Kolkata which is about 500kms from this place. Now Google maps shows the following routes to our destination which are:

1. NH2- 497kms- Chandwa-Hazaribagh-Dhanbad-Durgapur-Kolkata.
2. NH75- 513kms- Ranchi-Dhanbad-Durgapur-Kolkata.
3. NH33- 483kms- Ranchi- Jamshedpur- Jhargram- Kharagpur- Kolkata: Heard that Jhargram area is not safe to travel at wee hours.

Guys i would be starting off at 12 noon. I need your help on 2 heads:

1. Condition of roads: Since i am on tight schedule, i would like to drive on route with best roads even if it means i will have to cover more distance.

2. Safety: I plan to drive non-stop, hence i would prefer to drive on route which has no safety concerns (especially Naxal one like in Jhargram area).

Any other suggestion are welcomed too.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Route Suggestions: Trip to Kolkata (From Ranchi, Jharkhand)

Guys i would be starting off at 12 noon.
You are travelling tomorrow at 12? Please attempt to cover the distance in the day light. Hope other members can suggest an appropriate route until then.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Option 1 and 2 are favourable, in that order.
In option 2, you will have to face traffic in Dhanbad. Its quite bad. In option 1 also, you'll have similar situation in Hazaribagh, but of lesser magnitude. Dhanbad to Kolkata has good road. There's a stretch of bad road somewhere after Durgapur. Expect heavy vehicle traffic on GT road. Drive carefully. Carry all documents with you.
It wont be possible to cover the distance in daylight. It would start getting dark after dhanbad, I guess. you'll reach late night at Kolkata. I hope the car is in your name. Sometimes Kolkata police (just after toll gate for new howrah bridge) stops and ask for documents. And if the car is not reg in your name, they ask for a confirmation letter from the reg owner. Sounds crazy. They will waste your time, and maybe 200-300 bucks. Normally they do this when traffic is less.
Option 3 should be avoided. Roads are bad after Jamshedpur. And is naxal area too. You will find enormous potholes. You might get lost too. Simply avoid this option.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

You are travelling tomorrow at 12? Please attempt to cover the distance in the day light. Hope other members can suggest an appropriate route until then.

Drive Safe,
350Z
No, Vibhor, i will be going this weekend i.e 15th of Sept.

Option 1 and 2 are favourable, in that order.
In option 2, you will have to face traffic in Dhanbad. Its quite bad. In option 1 also, you'll have similar situation in Hazaribagh, but of lesser magnitude. Dhanbad to Kolkata has good road. There's a stretch of bad road somewhere after Durgapur. Expect heavy vehicle traffic on GT road. Drive carefully. Carry all documents with you.
It wont be possible to cover the distance in daylight. It would start getting dark after dhanbad, I guess. you'll reach late night at Kolkata.
Option 3 should be avoided. Roads are bad after Jamshedpur. And is naxal area too. You will find enormous potholes. You might get lost too. Simply avoid this option.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Yes, the option 3 has already been stuck off the list. As far as night driving is concerned, i am ok with it as long as the route is safe enough.

I hope the car is in your name. Sometimes Kolkata police (just after toll gate for new howrah bridge) stops and ask for documents. And if the car is not reg in your name, they ask for a confirmation letter from the reg owner. Sounds crazy. They will waste your time, and maybe 200-300 bucks. Normally they do this when traffic is less.
The car is in my dads comp name. However, i do have all the original documents with me, would they still ask for any kind of letter?

And one more question, what is the reaction of cops over the Sunfilms? As you know my car has tints which are more or less dark. Are the rules strict over sunfilms or would it be manageable?

Thread Starter #5

*BUMP*

Guys i am waiting for your suggestions.

Thread Starter #6

After much thoughts, i have decided to call off the trip to Kolkata, since i want no fussy business of police as mentioned by nozzlering and a few of my friends who asked me to avoid going to the city without removing the tints.

But, a road trip cannot be cancelled right away, especially when decided by a petrol head. So i will be heading to the Holy city Varanasi and Allahabad. As for the route, i will be going via GT road (NH2). There are no security issues on this stretch and i plan to reach Varanasi by late night (on 15th Sept 2012). Next day morning i will be going to Allahabad.

I would be grateful, if i could get some pointers on some key attraction of these cities. Also any specific restaurant/Dhaba which i must not miss?

Hi, NH2 is a better option. Also road from Durgapur to Kolkata is very good. I recently did a trip on that road. Also did not face any problem with police however mine is a West Bengal number plate. However in reality did not see any police check point after the bridge (2nd Howrah bridge). But if you have papers (even if its not in your name) should not be a problem. Carry your identification if you are stopped.
Also you could enter through the Nivedita bridge (Bally side), which is less crowded. Till now no problem with sunfilms in Kolkata.

Thread Starter #8

Thanks for the info Chayan, but sadly i have postponed the Kolkata trip. I guess i will do this stretch sometime later. As of now, i have finalized the trip to Varanasi.

BTW guys, i need your help on Hotel reservations. I have never made online reservation by Makemytrip/tripadvisor, so can anyone throw some light on the matter as which site to consider for making online hotel bookings?

Thanks for the info Chayan, but sadly i have postponed the Kolkata trip. I guess i will do this stretch sometime later. As of now, i have finalized the trip to Varanasi.

BTW guys, i need your help on Hotel reservations. I have never made online reservation by Makemytrip/tripadvisor, so can anyone throw some light on the matter as which site to consider for making online hotel bookings?
Makemytrip/Yatra are good. Travel agents get 10% commission, so that rates they offer are a little lower than if you get it directly from the hotel website.
I have used culture holidays (travelchacha) twice and have found them to be quite good. They do all my travel planning from Airport pickup, hotel, intercity transfer, site-seeing and airport drop. Just give them my air ticket details and they plan the rest. 50% advance at the time of booking and rest 1 week before travel.

350Z

Core Team

I guess i will do this stretch sometime later. As of now, i have finalized the trip to Varanasi.
Good luck. Although I have never been there but I have a cousin in BHU. You would enjoy sightseeing, various temples and of course the banks of holy river Ganga.

I'm a quite regular user of Cleartrip.com for booking air tickets. It’s always been a smooth and quick process. No experience of booking hotels online though.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11

Makemytrip/Yatra are good. Travel agents get 10% commission, so that rates they offer are a little lower than if you get it directly from the hotel website.
I have used culture holidays (travelchacha) twice and have found them to be quite good. They do all my travel planning from Airport pickup, hotel, intercity transfer, site-seeing and airport drop. Just give them my air ticket details and they plan the rest. 50% advance at the time of booking and rest 1 week before travel.
Thanks a ton buddy.

Good luck. Although I have never been there but I have a cousin in BHU. You would enjoy sightseeing, various temples and of course the banks of holy river Ganga.

I'm a quite regular user of Cleartrip.com for booking air tickets. It’s always been a smooth and quick process. No experience of booking hotels online though.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks 350Z. Now taking your advice, i have booked a hotel in Varanasi with Cleartrip.com. Hope the booking would be honored.

350Z

Core Team

Thanks 350Z. Now taking your advice, i have booked a hotel in Varanasi with Cleartrip.com. Hope the booking would be honored.
Congrats. Keep us updated and would love to check out some snaps of the road trip once you’re back.

Drive Safe,
350Z

After much thoughts, i have decided to call off the trip to Kolkata, since i want no fussy business of police as mentioned by nozzlering and a few of my friends who asked me to avoid going to the city without removing the tints.

But, a road trip cannot be cancelled right away, especially when decided by a petrol head. So i will be heading to the Holy city Varanasi and Allahabad. As for the route, i will be going via GT road (NH2). There are no security issues on this stretch and i plan to reach Varanasi by late night (on 15th Sept 2012). Next day morning i will be going to Allahabad.

I would be grateful, if i could get some pointers on some key attraction of these cities. Also any specific restaurant/Dhaba which i must not miss?
Extremely sorry had not logged in for some time, so missed the thread. Even more sorry that you are giving Kolkata a miss.

The reasons given to you are not in any way unique or peculiar to Kolkata. Checking for the things mentioned are as good or as bad as it is in rest of India. Moreover thr were other entry / exit options to the City also.

Anyways Kolkata's loss is Varanasi's gain. I myself will be driving to Varanasi / allahabad/ Lucknow in Nov.

So all the best for your trip

Thread Starter #14

Congrats. Keep us updated and would love to check out some snaps of the road trip once you’re back.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Definitely, i have prepared 2 cams, and 3 memory cards for this trip of 3 days.
A special request to you. Since i am on a tight schedule, can you tell me which all spots to visit without a miss!

Extremely sorry had not logged in for some time, so missed the thread. Even more sorry that you are giving Kolkata a miss.

The reasons given to you are not in any way unique or peculiar to Kolkata. Checking for the things mentioned are as good or as bad as it is in rest of India. Moreover thr were other entry / exit options to the City also.
I was not worried about the paper thing, but about the tints issue.

Anyways Kolkata's loss is Varanasi's gain. I myself will be driving to Varanasi / allahabad/ Lucknow in Nov.

So all the best for your trip
Haha, i was thinking of Kolkata since it would have translated to mini city meet.

@ALL: The trip has been extended till Allahabad. Both the cities would be dedicated a day each.

350Z

Core Team

A special request to you. Since i am on a tight schedule, can you tell me which all spots to visit without a miss!
Sure. Do visit the famous Kashi Vishwanath Temple and remember to attend Ganga aarti in the evening. You should also visit Sarnath, which is around 11 Kms drive from Varanasi. Apart from it, there are many temples and the different Ghats are believed to have their own different meanings. Hiring a guide can be helpful. Please beware of pickpockets / scammers / touts etc. There are a lot of them in Haridwar. I'm sure Varanasi would not be different.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom