Route Query & Condition: Bangalore To Coorg

Thread Starter #1
Note to Mods: Kindly move this thread if not in the right category.

Hi Friends,

We are planning a Bangalore -> Coorg -> Bangalore bike ride shortly and looking for help/tips on the best route to take and any info on road conditions.
This will be our maiden long ride on a bike and we are trying to make sure we get it right and come back with a pleasant experience.
Thanks so much in advance :)

Start date: 23rd Sep, plan to start from Bangalore by 4 AM
Return date: 24th Sep, plan to start from Coorg no later than 2pm
Rides: 1 Pulsar 150 and 1 Bullet Electra, no pillions
Accommodation: Planning for a budget option near Virajpet

We are planning a Bangalore -> Coorg -> Bangalore bike ride shortly and looking for help/tips on the best route to take and any info on road conditions.
This will be our maiden long ride on a bike and we are trying to make sure we get it right and come back with a pleasant experience.

Start date: 23rd Sep, plan to start from Bangalore by 4 AM
Return date: 24th Sep, plan to start from Coorg no later than 2pm
Rides: 1 Pulsar 150 and 1 Bullet Electra, no pillions
Accommodation: Planning for a budget option near Virajpet
It is very much doable. I have done this earlier, although 3 years back when there were too many speedbreakers on Mysore Road & the KRS road was horrible. Best is to go via Mysore Road. Since you are starting at 4am, Mysore Road is a very good option. Although not many shops will be open by then. Breakfast could be a problem. I would suggest you to go into Mysore for breakfast since you are early enough. But the route I suggest wouldn't include Mysore though. Good thing you are not taking a pillion. They will be highly uncomfortable. I am assuming your destination is Madikeri (Coorg is a district, you see).

Route would be Bangalore - Ramnagara - Channapatna - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Kushalnagara - Suntikoppa - Madikeri.

Don't go into Mysore, if you can have breakfast somewhere else. Post Srirangapatna, turn right into KRS road & continue on to the Power Grid Corporation road till you hit the highway again.

The KRS Road, last I heard, was relaid & was good. Not sure of the recent condition.

Mysore Road till Srirangapatna is a 4 lane divided highway. Some potholes / top layer come off in the recent rains. Good thing is that speedbreakers have been drastically reduced compared to couple of years ago.

Road conditions throughout should be good enough. Enough breaks are hugely important. Take a 5-10min break every 1.5 hrs. Hydrate yourself well.

It is going to be raining. So be prepared with wet suits for your ride. If you maintain 80-90kmph, you should reach Madikeri in 6-7 hrs with sufficient breaks.

Here is the Google Routemap for Madikeri. https://goo.gl/maps/bsisiRJHA7m

Sorry I have no idea on the accommodation near Virajpet. If your desination is Virajpet, then after Hunsur turn left towards Gonikoppal for Virajpet.

Thread Starter #3
@CasualSurfer

Thank you so much for the detailed info, this is very reassuring [:D]
Google gave me the same road map when I looked up but I wanted first hand info and you have given me just that. The maps said 5.30 hours as the journey time but 6-7 hours like you mentioned seems more realistic, I forgot google doesnt count breaks [frustration]

About the stay, we are trying to book something at Honey Valley Estate since I have been here before and absolutely loved the place. Once here, plan is to either plan a trek to Tadiyandamol or just stay put at the room and enjoy the serenity, no other sight seeing plans since we have seen them all before. The focus of this trip is just the bike ride to and fro and all others are time fillers

The decision to ride without pillion took some convincing against higher trip budget and fuel wastage. In the end, we opted for safety and comfort rather than sharing the ride. Having a pillion would have forced us to find alternatives to haul luggage and since rains are expected, we had to ensure we carry enough spares as well, this would have put us in a tricky situation as to how to pack and tie the luggage (we don't have saddle bags yet), not to mention the overall discomfort of riding 2 on such long trips.

Thanks so much again for all your help [cheers]

It is very much doable. I have done this earlier, although 3 years back when there were too many speedbreakers on Mysore Road & the KRS road was horrible. Best is to go via Mysore Road. Since you are starting at 4am, Mysore Road is a very good option. Although not many shops will be open by then. Breakfast could be a problem. I would suggest you to go into Mysore for breakfast since you are early enough. But the route I suggest wouldn't include Mysore though. Good thing you are not taking a pillion. They will be highly uncomfortable. I am assuming your destination is Madikeri (Coorg is a district, you see).

Route would be Bangalore - Ramnagara - Channapatna - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Kushalnagara - Suntikoppa - Madikeri.

Don't go into Mysore, if you can have breakfast somewhere else. Post Srirangapatna, turn right into KRS road & continue on to the Power Grid Corporation road till you hit the highway again.

The KRS Road, last I heard, was relaid & was good. Not sure of the recent condition.

Mysore Road till Srirangapatna is a 4 lane divided highway. Some potholes / top layer come off in the recent rains. Good thing is that speedbreakers have been drastically reduced compared to couple of years ago.

Road conditions throughout should be good enough. Enough breaks are hugely important. Take a 5-10min break every 1.5 hrs. Hydrate yourself well.

It is going to be raining. So be prepared with wet suits for your ride. If you maintain 80-90kmph, you should reach Madikeri in 6-7 hrs with sufficient breaks.

Here is the Google Routemap for Madikeri. https://goo.gl/maps/bsisiRJHA7m

Sorry I have no idea on the accommodation near Virajpet. If your desination is Virajpet, then after Hunsur turn left towards Gonikoppal for Virajpet.
Yes the same route we follow during May 2017.

Happy journey and ride safe.

Having a pillion would have forced us to find alternatives to haul luggage and since rains are expected, we had to ensure we carry enough spares as well, this would have put us in a tricky situation as to how to pack and tie the luggage (we don't have saddle bags yet), not to mention the overall discomfort of riding 2 on such long trips.
Forgot to mention the luggage part. Never carry anything on your shoulders. It tires your body much faster on long rides. Pillion, a complete no-no unless accompanied by a group of friends/family in cars. Then the pillion can be on rotation between breaks, just for the fun. Best case scenario is saddle bags. Worst case scenario, just rest it on the tank, if it is possible.

When I had traveled, I had no protective gears, etc. My helmet's wiser wasn't there. Just a casual pant & a jubba. And the rush of adrenaline. I did manage ok. I was accompanied by family in the car. So all luggage were in the car.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks @amitpshelke

@CasualSurfer
Totally agree, exactly my point. In our case, all the main luggage is either going to be tied on the back of the seat or on to the saree guard on the left, without causing too much weight imbalance. I was planning to carry my DSLR sling bag but now having second thoughts about it. Either I need to pack it with the rest of the stuff or skip it altogether, will decide based on how much luggage I've got.

Loved to know about your trip, must have been very comfortable with minimal gear :)
I don't have too much of protective gear either, but just basic ones. This is what I currently have:
1. Basic knee-elbow guard kit (got off ebay.in)
2. Probiker riding gloves
3. Waterproof steel-toe shoes (the ones worn by industrial workers)
4. Basic shin pad with angle padding (one used for soccer)
5. Daily wear rain jackets (2 pairs)
6. Basic rain pants (yet to procure)
I am a very conservative rider so didn't invest too much on these, but got the basic ones hoping something is better than nothing :)

I was planning to carry my DSLR sling bag but now having second thoughts about it.
Rains in the Coorg are beautiful. Carry it. It will be worth it.

I don't have too much of protective gear either, but just basic ones. This is what I currently have:
1. Basic knee-elbow guard kit (got off ebay.in)
2. Probiker riding gloves
3. Waterproof steel-toe shoes (the ones worn by industrial workers)
4. Basic shin pad with angle padding (one used for soccer)
5. Daily wear rain jackets (2 pairs)
6. Basic rain pants (yet to procure)
I am a very conservative rider so didn't invest too much on these, but got the basic ones hoping something is better than nothing :)
That is pretty long list, mate.

Top Bottom