Road Trips Down Memory Lane: Snapshot

Thread Starter #16
Links to a couple of dedicated T-logs of mine existing already.​
1. Gorgeous Athirapally Falls and Back via Valparai: A Day Well Spent
athirapilly.jpg

While in Kerala, I usually drive past this sign board many times, mostly during my frequent drive to Munnar. It’s just about 30 kms from here [Chalakkudy] to “Athirapally Falls”, one of the most spectacular scenic spots that I have explored so far. It’s shame that I never considered seriously to drive to this location until a couple of days ago, after which Athirapally has very deservingly become a must-watch experience and one of my favourite destinations.
Link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/16222-gorgeous-athirapally-falls-back-via-valparai-day-well-spent.html

2. A Quick Escape To Kodaikanal
lake.jpg

After reaching home in Palakkad-Kerala,due to certain unexpected business cropping up, I was stuck there and many of the trips planned earlier didn’t materialize. But we did squeeze in a two day trip to Kodaikanal via Rajakkad [near Munnar] while visiting my relatives in Munnar and Alappuzha.
Link:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/11802-quick-escape-kodaikanal.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #17
July 2012
Palakkad- Kollur-Goa and back
Another Monsoon drive. This time, along NH-17 !

goa.jpg

After some hectic work here in China that season, flew back home for a well deserved break. It was raining cats and dogs as expected. We had planned earlier, to visit Mookambika temple during that trip to India. It was also about a year that we met my brother and family who are based in Mumbai. Called them to check if they can be made available for a couple of days off work. The plan was to visit Mookambika Devi at Kollur on day-1 and then drive further to Goa, the next day. My brother were to come to Goa where we had planned to spend few days together. It was more of a family union than a typical Goan exploration.

Thread Starter #18
Planning:
Got a detailed checkup for the “Beast” at A.S.S. We had done a Palakkad-Mangalore-Kollur earlier with non-existent roads in most part of the stretch. I was pleasantly surprised to know that the stretch had been re-laid and great, until Mangalore. Also knew about some road widening work beyond Mangalore, until Kundapura. Plan was to reach Kollur on Day-1 and then proceed to Goa on Day-2.
My brother confirmed their tickets to Goa and were expected to hit Goa in the afternoon of Day-2. Since it was off-season, I thought of checking in to a good Hotel on arrival. Had shortlisted a couple of Resorts and Ginger Hotel @Panjim for the stay.​

Day-1
Home [Palakkad] – Kozhikode- Kannur-Mangalore-Kollur
On board: Mother, Father, Wify & Me.
Total Distance covered: Around 500 km​

PKD Kollur.png

Started off early at around 5.00am. Had an early breakfast somewhere on the bye-pass road at Kozhikode. Thanks to excellent 2-Lane roads and sparse traffic, we covered some decent distance in the morning. But soon, the traffic got worst but the roads were fine all the way till Mangalore. Earlier, we had done the same stretch, when after kannur all the way till Mangalore was pathetic. Was happy to see the stretch in great shape. After Mangalore, had to take a few deviations due to the 4-lane road work though. It was a relaxed drive and we breezed in to the parking space @ Beena Residency, near Mookambika Temple by 6.00 pm. Since we got a better deal, we decided to stay in Aswathi Tourist Home just about 100metres from the Temple. The deal also included food at Beena Residency which was excellent Kerala delicacy. Excellent stay with parking facility and great food - Recommended.​

Shri Mookambika Devi temple is an ancient Temple about 500 km from my home and 135 km from Mangalore. It’s located at kollur in Karnataka.​

Day 2
Kollur- Karwar-Panjim/Goa
Distance covered: around 300 km​

Kollur goa.png

We had a great Darsan, the next day morning. After having a couple of Idlies at Beena Residency, headed back to hotel for an early morning check out. Visited Udupi Sreekrishna Temple and then hit NH-17 once again towards Goa. Barring a few craters and pot-holes until Ankola, it was a beautiful driving experience all the way via Karwar.​

goa 2.jpg

Thread Starter #21
Hi Manoj,
There is one garden on the way from Chalakudy to Athirapally. It is called thumburmuzhi garden. Well maintained, and some nice view of the river.
[/URL]
Definitely missed it. Where exactly is it located, near those amusement parks?
May be next time, most probably during rains in July-August !

Thread Starter #22
Goa

BeFunky_DSC_0056.jpg.jpg

After having checked a couple of Resorts, decided to stay in Ginger Hotel at Panjim. Though a bit on the expensive side compared to a few others we checked, thanks to its safe family setting/ambience, we went on to choose stay there for the next couple of days. Brother & family arrived and had a blast that evening with some typical Goan meals for dinner. Came back to hotel, spend a couple of hours together and dozed off. The accommodation was a two double suit combo with an interconnecting door in between. Loved the ambience and satisfied with the security.

beach4.jpg

The Rain Gods stayed away for most part of our time in Goa. Other times, due to scorching heat and humidity, we decided to stay in car while moving around to various places. I never felt tired even on the third day behind the wheel.​

goa church.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #24
Thread Starter #25
Fort Aguada
Sun was blazing down when we arrived at the Fort .Few pictures taken at the Fort. The lime drink proved very useful indeed.​

fort 1.jpg

fort 2.jpg

fort3.jpg

from dona 2.jpg

from fort 1.jpg

from fort .jpg

from dona.jpg

Edit: 4th + last pictures were taken at Dona Paula

Last edited:
Thread Starter #27
Some random shots from various beaches visited in Goa​
goa beach.jpg

goa sea.jpg

beach2.jpg

Return:

We had to take our leave. My brother had their return train tickets booked from south Goa Train Station. It was an early morning train. Had done all the packing the other night. Woke up early, got into our Hawk and zoomed past Panjim towards Margao. Got there in no time, dropped them at the railway station and headed towards Karwar. I could hear the m-Hawk’s grunt as there was utter silence in the cabin for a while.​
union.jpg

The return was easier as I knew the route better. Had a great vegetarian meals at Udupi for an early lunch. The plan was to stay at Kannur if it got late. Even after a quick detour to Parassinikkadavu Muthappan Temple, we thought of reaching home on the same day. But got trapped in the famous Kannur-Kozhikode traffic. It was around 10.00pm when we reached Kozhikode and I felt really exhausted for the first time in the trip. Had light dinner with some strong black Tea. Did Kozhikode-Palakkad via Cherpulassery in about less than two hours.​

18 hours, 800 kms and NH-17 !

Barring me, to my surprise, everybody else looked good for another couple of hundred more kilometers.:tongue:

Overall, another memorable road trip. We did have some great time together that, we would like repeat the trip in the near future as well. This time around, after reaching Goa, would prefer to rent a chauffeured car for a couple of days to explore various spots in detail.

Thanks for reading, once again.​

Thread Starter #28
Malampuzha Dam & Gardens

malampuzha.jpg

It was last July, we had a family trip to Malampuzha dam & Gardens near Palakkad. It’s about 25 km away from home. Rain Gods had shown some mercy that afternoon and we got there in two vehicles -obviously my m-Hawk and the newly bought Ertiga ZDi.

malampuzha 1.jpg

malampuzha 2.jpg

malampuzha 3.jpg
It was nearly about 15 years since my last visit to the Dam and was pleasantly surprised to see a new entrance and parking area. The inside was found to be less cluttered and more green.

In 2005, major renovation works started in Malampuzha Gardens as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations. The dam was re-painted, and a huge LED Hoarding was placed on top of the dam. The entire garden was demolished for constructing a new and modern garden. At a cost of Rs. 21.57 crores, a new garden was created which has made Malampuzha Gardens the best tourist destination of Kerala.
Timings:
8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Weekdays)
8:00 AM to 8:00 PM (Weekends)
Entry Fees:
Rs. 25 per adult
Rs. 10 per child (below 12 years)
Swimming Pool:
Rs. 75 per head per hour
Camera:
Rs. 100 for Still Camera
Rs. 1000 for Video Camera
source: malampuzhadam

There was nothing much to see as it was getting darker, but we loved our walk that evening. We had to rush as it was getting overcast. Got back home after having a great dinner at Noor Jehan Fort View Restaurant.

More pictures​

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Definitely missed it. Where exactly is it located, near those amusement parks?
May be next time, most probably during rains in July-August !
It is between two Amusement parks. 3 Km before Silver storme.
BTW My home is at other side of river.

You can also visit 'Ezhattumugham Pragathi Gramam' it is at opposite side of river. To reach here, You can walk through the dam wall(though it is illegal) or through the river on summer. Use the newly done bridge opposite to Silver storme and turn left after the bridge(right to Malayattor and left to Angamaly) to reach here by road. You will be going through the Kalady plantation.

Thread Starter #30
Velankanni : Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health
vel 1.jpg
It was in 2009, we visited Velankanni for the first time. M-hawk had just joined our family and nothing could have been better than driving along the beautiful Rajakkad-Bodimettu-Theni-Trichy stretch to Velankanni with family on board. Since then, Velankanni has become a must visit destination, at least once a year.
The very refreshing Rajakkad- Bodimettu stretch
to body mettu.jpg

cardamom .jpg
The beautiful Ghat road from Bodymettu towards Theni !​
This particular picture was taken in 2009 with roads in excellent condition. These days the stretch is in bad shape due to some widening work.
Body ghat.jpg
The Hawk near Bodi.​
body ghat 2.jpg
The beautiful Theni-Dindigul stretch
vathalkundu road.jpg
Somewhere near Mannargudi
to mannargudi.jpg
From Tanjavur, the route to Nagapatanam is via the regular Thiruvarur or the alternate route via Mannargudi. The most recent trip [Jan- 2014] saw the Thiruvarur roads re-laid and thus the detour via Mannargudi is unnecessary.

At velankanni​
vel2.jpg
vel3.jpg

Our usual re-fuelling stations [Restaurants] during our journey !
At Theni
Hotel Theni International
LINK
Or Hotel Westerngatz
LINK
At Trichy
Hotel grand gardenia
LINK
Stay at Velankanni :Hotel Seagate
LINK
DSC_0448.jpg

Last edited: