Road Trip with Hawk: 1000 Pillars Temple (Moodabidri) / Savira Kambada Basadi

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys this is my travelogue to a beautiful place called Moodabidri, which is just 38 kms from my home town Bantwal(Dakshina Kannada District), which was done on my recent visit to Mangalore.

From Bantwal a route in another direction via Belthangady leads to Dharmastala which is a mere 45 kms from the Bantwal city.

A place which was pending from long time, as we were passing through this place thought to visit this place, on our way to Karkala.

Savira(1000) Kambada(Pillars) Basadi(Jain Temple) is the word in Kannada

The temple was built in 1430 AD in particular, but there is some conflicts and few of the locals were saying it was built in 1462 AD.

One thing that comes to my mind is, How they would have lifted such large stones without any machines.

These temples were built only with the help of Elephants.

The entrance of the temple greets us with Mahasthamba which is 15 metres tall.

The temple is said to be built in Vijaynagara Style.

The temple has the idol of the jain god Chandranatha Swami whrich is 2.5 metres tall, made completely of bronze.

One Pillar has a sculpture of 9 dancers of that time, but they look alike elephants.

Looks like i have bored you guys, Posting some pics....

DSC03542.JPG

DSC03543.JPG

DSC03544.JPG

DSC03546.JPG

DSC03551.JPG
Door that leads to the idol of lord is said to be closed long ago.
DSC03550.JPG
Lord Chandranatha Swami(Complete Bronze)
DSC03566.JPG

Attachments

Re: A Road trip with Hawk: 1000 Pillars Temple (Moodabidri) / Savira Kambada Basadi

Yet another good travelogue from Mukesh , keep them coming buddy , many people may find it useful.

Why was the door leading to the idol closed?

Thread Starter #3
Re: A Road trip with Hawk: 1000 Pillars Temple (Moodabidri) / Savira Kambada Basadi

Yet another good travelogue from Mukesh , keep them coming buddy , many people may find it useful.

Why was the door leading to the idol closed?

That was the side entrance, the front is now having the cage structure where
only priest performs the rituals.

Now coming back to the travelogue, inside photos are not allowed, there was restriction not to click the photo.
But as soon as we donated some amount to the charity of temple, the guard allowed us to click pics we wanted.

He wanted us to do it as fast as possible, before the next tourists arrived.
Other guy with SLR was not allowed to click.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Let me continue......

Well with our inspection we could find upto 550 pillars on our inspection from out, its said there is also pillars in the 1st floor, which is accesible only to priests.
That too the distance from the idol is also having pilars, which was not visible as it was dark inside.

But was really astonished to see so many pillars.
Inside the temple no two pillars are identical.
Another example of excellent hiding of important documents or secrets were meant to be inside pillars it seems.
The guy at the temple showed us how a paper in one direction was coming out in other direction.
This shows the marvellous engineering without any instruments, a gap was created precisely.

DSC03557.JPG

DSC03558.JPG

DSC03559.JPG

DSC03560.JPG
This pic was taken in pitch dark condition
DSC03571.JPG

DSC03581.JPG
Paper being inserted at one direction
DSC03582.JPG
Being removed at other direction
DSC03583.JPG

This place is awesome Mukesh! Liked every picture. It is really interesting to find about this place. Kerala is also lush green like this place.

Nice Place Mukesh,

The temple, grass & climate creates a awesome scenery....

i think there are only few people in that temple due to rain, so you enjoyed more than usual right??

Thread Starter #7

Nice Place Mukesh,

The temple, grass & climate creates a awesome scenery....

i think there are only few people in that temple due to rain, so you enjoyed more than usual right??
Yes Appu, people were less in the temple, as it was drizzling.

AMG

Suspended

And your Temple obsession continues.

Still havent seen a non-Religious non-temple Travelogue from you.

PS: The pics arent great this time. New to SLRs?

350Z

Core Team

Your travelogues are always helpful and the pictures are a breeze to watch. I'm sure many members and guests must have benefited from them. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10

And your Temple obsession continues.

Still havent seen a non-Religious non-temple Travelogue from you.

PS: The pics arent great this time. New to SLRs?
Hey buddy most of the scenic places here are the religious ones.
Hope you are not concentrating on other travelogues of mine.
The one of Jog falls.

The pics are not from SLR, its a Still Digicam.

Thread Starter #11

Your travelogues are always helpful and the pictures are a breeze to watch. I'm sure many members and guests must have benefited from them. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks 350Z.
Glad you liked them...

Top Bottom