Road Trip : Mullayangiri - Sringeri - Hornadu

Thread Starter #1
Planned to go to Mangalore and ended up in Sringeri. On the morning of republic left home by 7:00 although the plan was to leave by 5:30 to beat the traffic. Reached Chikmagalur by 12:00 pm. As my car had covered 450kms only I maintained 90kmph and 200rpm through out. The NH-48 stretch from Nelmangala to Chennarayapattana is awesome. Later from Chennarayapatna onwards the 4 lane work is in progress. when it is completed we can reach Hassan by 2 and half hours.
After reaching Chikmagalur took a deviation towards Mullayangiri and climbed it in one hour. The road us ver narrow some places evening one car is difficult to pass through. But very scenic from top.
NH-48 view from wind shield :
View attachment 40214

Belur - Hassan Road :
View attachment 40215

Road to Mullayangiri:
View attachment 40217

At top of a small Hillock near Mullayangiri:
IMG_5080.jpg

Left Chikmagalur by 2:45 after lunch.
about 20kms from Chikmagalur on the way to Balehonnur road is in bad shapes. Later half is good with winding curves and Punto started loving hungry to do more and more. Reached Sringeri (My Uncle's house) by 5:00 pm.

Next day morning set ou to Kigga and Siri mane falls which is just 10kms from
Sringeri and falls is 5 kms from Kigga.

Sirimane falls @ Kigga :
View attachment 40216

Day-2 was spent visiting some relatives and friends in
sringeri with some small trips here and there.

Day -3
Started the journey to Horanadu by 9:45 am the plan was to go through Jaipura - Balehonnur- Kalasa-Hornadu. But just before Horanadu I saw a devition towards Horanadu just 63 kms I was tempted to take that road and that was biggest mistake that I made. The road was katcha road with full of poth holes some times as big as a well[cry]. Few times hit the Chasis.Reached Hornadu by 12:00 pm, had lumch and started journey bak to Blore by 1:45 pm.
The route was Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Blore.
The road from Kalsa to Kottigehara was scenic, curvy and almost good.

Road before Kottigehara @ Kelaguru :
IMG_5279.jpg

Had some nice local @ Kelguru coffe estate and then heade towards kottigehara. The road after this was good till Mudigere. The road to Belur-Mudigere is being laid out and 1st 10 kms is in bad shape later 20 you can easlily hit 120. Form Belur reached Hassan and took NH-48 from there on. While passing thru Chennarapatna town I was driving @ 30-40 kmph. Just before a u-turn, a 2 -wheler took a sharp right turn with out ant signal, I hit the breaks hard, just before stpping my car hit the 2-wheeler and he fell down on the road luckily he escaped with few scratches and not much damage to his bike but a scratch on my bumper and some part of his bike hit by fog lamp\[frustration]. That was the 1st damage to my beloved Italian horse[lol]. She stopped instantaneously when I hit the brakes thanks to ABS the 2-wheeler escaped but she took the damage on her nose.

After a short break @ Kamat, reached home by 9:00 pm.
Now my car has covered 1350kms in 21 days.After going thru thos bad roads I feel need to get my wheel alignment checked. Punters please advise hwat else needs to be checked.

Here is the travel report in short:
Total distance covered : 850 kms
Average milage : 18.81 km/L
Top speed 130km/hr
damages : scratch on front Bumper + one front fog lamp

Thread Starter #2
Re: Road trip : Mullayangiri - Sringeri -Hornadu

I always face problems with attachments
NH-48 view from wind shield :
IMG_4961.jpg

Road to mullayangiri :
IMG_5063.jpg

Sirimane falls :
IMG_5206.jpg

Way to the top of Mullayanagiri the highest peak in Karnataka:
IMG_5124.jpg

Nice Pictures

Your Punto Looks hot in White.
Punto looks cool in those pictures[;)]

Day -3
Started the journey to Horanadu by 9:45 am the plan was to go through Jaipura - Balehonnur- Kalasa-Hornadu. But just before Horanadu I saw a devition towards Horanadu just 63 kms I was tempted to take that road and that was biggest mistake that I made. The road was katcha road with full of poth holes some times as big as a well. Few times hit the Chasis.Reached Hornadu by 12:00 pm, had lumch and started journey bak to Blore by 1:45 pm.
Hey, so you went upto Horanadu through that bad strech of road just to have lunch [lol]

While passing thru Chennarapatna town I was driving @ 30-40 kmph. Just before a u-turn, a 2 -wheler took a sharp right turn with out ant signal, I hit the breaks hard, just before stpping my car hit the 2-wheeler and he fell down on the road luckily he escaped with few scratches and not much damage to his bike but a scratch on my bumper and some part of his bike hit by fog lamp.
Are you sure you were on 30-40 kmph?

Car should have stopped instantly at that speed.

There is a chance that you did not use ABS properly. In such situations, ABS brakes should be applied hard and keep on pressing hard. In case if the brakes are released slightly, cars with ABS brakes take longer time to stop than with out ABS.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks for educating me Autosafari. I didnt know this fact. Will try next time (not to hit anybody[;)]) on an empty road.
Forgot to mention, the plan was to stay @ Horanadu but my 3yr old kid had picked up cold and slight fever started so wanted to head back home quickly as the weather there in malnad would have aggravated his condition.

Last edited:
Nice writeup Suresh. Beautiful pics. This is the first time I am seeing the peak completely. I was never able to capture or trek to the peak top since it was completely covered with fog. From your pic it seems though the climate was very hot.

Where exactly did you turn off for Hornadu - the bad road sector?

The Belur-Mudigere sector - there are 2 routes, one going via Gonebidu and the other via Gendehalli: which one is being relaid?

Thread Starter #8
Kumar,
Just when I arrived @ Mudigere there was a circle showing direction towards Belur and I took a right turn in that circle. I believe it was via Gonibedu.

Serrao,
Yes it was about 23/24 deg at the top and it was afternoon 1:00 pm when I went there.

@ Suresh, Nice pics mate! Roads in this stretch are very scenic to drive. Though have been to this part of the state, havent got an opportunity to drive till date. Should plan a trip soon. Waiting for more pics.

Lovely pics! Western Ghats always leaves me dumbstruck! I liked the first shot and your Punto is really looking stunning in the last pic with scenery in the background

Hey Suresh, good pics & good writing. Should I call this co-incidence ? I visited the same destination on 29th & returned on 31st January. I visited Chikmagalur-Hornadu-Sringeri-Gorur-Hassan-Bangalore. The roads are simply awesome. Sorting out my best pics. Will update them shortly.

[cheers]
Drive Safe.
Santosh.V

Top Bottom